PDA

View Full Version : Browsers Suck, Internet Sucks... What's new ??

n2ize
05-25-2013, 01:17 AM
I have yet to find a web browser that I consider to be 100%. They all seem to suck in their own special way. Firefox sucks, Opera sucks, Chrome sucks. Opera used to be great, for a while it was my number 1 least problematic broswer. Then a few upgrades later and whammo. It unstable, crashes randomly and unexpectedly, sometimes not all functionality works. Ditto for Chrome but its at least it doesn't crash at random. Firefox also has issues. Ifind myself jumping from browser to browser. Right now I'm on Opera but an hour for now I might beon Chrome.

Internet service has been a bit troublsome this past week. Usually its problem free. But this week we've experienced a couple outages. One for several hours earlier this week and a "brownout" (very slow connection) this afternoon sand another outage for about 30 min just now.

Also, YouTube has sucked for the past couple weeks. Very slow sometimes. Videos won't even buffer sometimes even though the Internet connection is running at full tilt. Checked around Google and apparently a lot of people are complaining of the same trouble with UTube...world wide.

Not a good month for the net. :)

WØTKX
05-25-2013, 03:50 AM
Adobe Flash and Java have been problematic in the Winders world. Lots of updates, due to potential system compromises. Even Chrome has been cranky for me at times.

n6hcm
05-25-2013, 04:23 AM
makes me wonder what you're doing to have so much go wrong ... chrome has been rock solid for me. i stopped using firefox as a main browser some time ago ... but it's the browser i use when i'm not using chrome.

youtube has been fine for me, too ... cross-platform, on chrome (which comes with its own flash) and firefox, ...

flash seems to have an update at least once weekly ... java has calmed down a bit but (interestingly enough) it's recommended that you not use it with browser applications anymore due to vulnerabilities.

have you considered making a new user on your system and browsing as that user? this is the quickest way to figure out if there's something in your profile which is screwing up your browsing ...

(assuming you're using windows here ... )

N1LAF
05-25-2013, 04:58 AM
On Firefox, there is an extension I use called "Quickjava", which allows me to turn on and off things like JAVA, Javascript, Flash, Silverlight, CSS, Cookies, and Animated Images for the most part. Coupled with Flashblock, Flash elements do not slow down my browser. If I want to see an Flash object, I click on the icon, and it will play, otherwise it is blank and dormant.

N2CHX
05-25-2013, 07:30 AM
No problems here, but I run Linux. As far as youtube goes, it's had bandwidth and buffering issues for a long time now. Nothing new.

WØTKX
05-25-2013, 09:47 AM
I think John runs Linux as well... possibly a "conservative" distro? :stickpoke:

Once the storm of updates was over (about a week ago) things worked much better.

Most of it was flash related. I turned stuff off and went text only as well. For a bit.

n2ize
05-25-2013, 01:09 PM
makes me wonder what you're doing to have so much go wrong ... chrome has been rock solid for me. i stopped using firefox as a main browser some time ago ... but it's the browser i use when i'm not using chrome.

youtube has been fine for me, too ... cross-platform, on chrome (which comes with its own flash) and firefox, ...

flash seems to have an update at least once weekly ... java has calmed down a bit but (interestingly enough) it's recommended that you not use it with browser applications anymore due to vulnerabilities.

have you considered making a new user on your system and browsing as that user? this is the quickest way to figure out if there's something in your profile which is screwing up your browsing ...

(assuming you're using windows here ... )

No, were on Linux here. Chrome is the least problematic for me right now but every so often something will barf. Other times I can run it for days with no problem. I've been running Opera since yesterday evening and so far no probs... knock on wood.

Internet probs. Not too bad. Just a couple glitches with FiOS this week but otherwise it rarely barfs.

You Tube apparently has some issues. But over the past several hours its been ruinning good. Aparently the issue with Youtube is widespread.

With any problem I always check my local end first.

NQ6U
05-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Get yourself a Commodore 64 and a copy of Lynx. Browser problem solved.

n2ize
05-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Get yourself a Commodore 64 and a copy of Lynx. Browser problem solved.

I actually do use Lynx from time to time. Lynx kicks ass.