PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Man TT

w2amr
05-23-2013, 03:39 PM
These guys are nuts.

http://vimeo.com/53551115

n2ize
05-23-2013, 03:55 PM
I think it's great. Life is a drag unless you are willing to put yourself at risk in one way or another on a regular basis. These guys have perfected the art of doing something that is potentially extremely dangerous and at the same time being successful.

N2CHX
05-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Um... Just a little. Damn.

WØTKX
05-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Holleeeeee shit. I've seen vids of the TT before, but that was spectacular.

suddenseer
05-23-2013, 06:00 PM
That is probably something a couple of you guyz might do, but I will watch it on my laptop.:wtf:

WØTKX
05-23-2013, 06:22 PM
Yesterday I was at work, driving along and saw a really nice Kawasaki Concours. Got me dreaming again.

Fifteen minutes later, I was assisting with a motorcycle accident, different rider, different bike. :shock:

I don't know if he made it. It did not look good at all.

suddenseer
05-23-2013, 08:48 PM
At the risk of sounding crass, I am glad it was not you.

WX7P
05-23-2013, 10:40 PM
I think I might be the world's biggest wuss, but I don't get bikes at all.

My brother had a Honda hawk in the late 70's when the Army sent him to Berkeley to do some post-graduate work. He had just broken up with a girlfriend in DC, and decided he was a "rebel". I rode his bike for awhile and the traffic scared the hell out of me. Granted, it was Berkeley, but still, it shouldn't have been so hair raising. When my brother took me on the freeway and got the bike up to 90, that was it.

Interesting note. He "accidentally" left the keys in the ignition of the Hawk at his apartment in Oakland about 6 months later and naturally, the bike was stolen. He didn't replace it. He told me years later that he probably would have killed himself on that thing.

n2ize
05-24-2013, 01:15 AM
Whatever I drive, be it a car, a truck, or bike, I have to go fast. Even when i used to ride a biclyce, I used to crank the living shit out of that thing while going down steep hills. I was the same way when I drove cars. I could never follow speed limits. The second I got a clear stretch of road I'd slam that gas pedal through the floor. That is why they eventually took my license away. Too much speeding tickets and insane driving.

I remember when I was 18 arguing with one of my cousins who told me the best way to drive is slow. I remember telling him, "screw that slow shit, the only way to drive is FAST !!".

One night I was doing burnouts in a school parking lot. The next day I heard one of my neighbors saying, " did you hear the racket from that jerk who was driving around last night ?". That jerk was me.

K7SGJ
05-24-2013, 08:38 AM
Whatever I drive, be it a car, a truck, or bike, I have to go fast. Even when i used to ride a biclyce, I used to crank the living shit out of that thing while going down steep hills. I was the same way when I drove cars. I could never follow speed limits. The second I got a clear stretch of road I'd slam that gas pedal through the floor. That is why they eventually took my license away. Too much speeding tickets and insane driving.

I remember when I was 18 arguing with one of my cousins who told me the best way to drive is slow. I remember telling him, "screw that slow shit, the only way to drive is FAST !!".

One night I was doing burnouts in a school parking lot. The next day I heard one of my neighbors saying, " did you hear the racket from that jerk who was driving around last night ?". That jerk was me.

See, it's not just us that have come to that conclusion.

KG4NEL
05-24-2013, 09:39 AM

My brother had a Honda hawk in the late 70's when the Army sent him to Berkeley to do some post-graduate work. He had just broken up with a girlfriend in DC, and decided he was a "rebel". I rode his bike for awhile and the traffic scared the hell out of me. Granted, it was Berkeley, but still, it shouldn't have been so hair raising. When my brother took me on the freeway and got the bike up to 90, that was it.

Interesting note. He "accidentally" left the keys in the ignition of the Hawk at his apartment in Oakland about 6 months later and naturally, the bike was stolen. He didn't replace it. He told me years later that he probably would have killed himself on that thing.

I've waffled back and forth on a bike...thinking something like a '60s BMW. I doubt I'll be on straight-enough roads to have to worry about its top speed :)

On public roads, it's just not worth it.

K7SGJ
05-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Yesterday I was at work, driving along and saw a really nice Kawasaki Concours. Got me dreaming again.

Fifteen minutes later, I was assisting with a motorcycle accident, different rider, different bike. :shock:

I don't know if he made it. It did not look good at all.

The same thing that happened to you, happened to my son several months ago. A driver made a left in front of him, and he t-boned their car. He went over the top, hit the pavement, and ended up on the sidewalk. A cop across the street witnessed the whole thing, so the other party couldn't claim it wasn't their fault. When I talked to him, he said from the way he hit and was tossed around like a rag doll, that he thought the kid was going to be dead. The only thing that saved him was he was wearing a brain bucket, and the fact he was in excellent physical condition from working out every day. I can't begin to explain what my wife and I felt when the ER called about it, and said get here ASAP. He spent some time in the hospital and quite awhile in several casts. He just got the last one off last week. His wrist was shattered so badly, they couldn't reconstruct it, and decided to let it heal as best it could. Needless to say, although he can use it, he will always have problems with it; which sucks because he works with his hands. Both his bike and the car he hit was totaled. He is still in the litigation process which, as you well know from your experience, is a real SOB; and the only ones that really make out are the lawyers.

WØTKX
05-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Yea. The lawyers took 30%, standard deal. The award was about half of what it should be. I carried lots of insurance, the driver who ran the light carried the minimum. My insurer stepped up and paid 2/3 of the settlement, and went after the driver, who is also paying me $100 a month on additional judgement of $5600 against her. Meh, it's been 3 years now.

It was a little different, I was t-boned at the back wheel, and got knocked over. I have pins in my hips, spine and permanent damage to my right wrist. I'm about as rehabbed as I'm gonna be, but all things considered... I'm OK.

Minimum insurance by law is not enough in this state, period. I may stay with Geico forever, because they did me right.

NA4BH
05-24-2013, 12:39 PM
That was me on the red bike. I needed to get some milk from the store.

:lies:

K7SGJ
05-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Yea. The lawyers took 30%, standard deal. The award was about half of what it should be. I carried lots of insurance, the driver who ran the light carried the minimum. My insurer stepped up and paid 2/3 of the settlement, and went after the driver, who is also paying me $100 a month on additional judgement of $5600 against her. Meh, it's been 3 years now.

It was a little different, I was t-boned at the back wheel, and got knocked over. I have pins in my hips, spine and permanent damage to my right wrist. I'm about as rehabbed as I'm gonna be, but all things considered... I'm OK.

Minimum insurance by law is not enough in this state, period. I may stay with Geico forever, because they did me right.

I agree on the insurance thing. I carry 100k-300k-100k and the minimum for AZ is 15k-10k-15k. I was treated great by my insurance company when I rolled and totaled two trucks within 6 weeks of each other. The last had 300 miles on it. The one that caused the crash my son was in just had the minimum. My son only carried collision, so he won't get much help from his insurance except for whatever the uninsured/underinsured part covers. The way things are on the road today, plus the cost of medical care (especially ER) the minimums should be raised, substantially. The other drivers kids were in the back seat and got hurt from the impact and cuts from the glass, and had to go to Childrens Hospital for treatment. I hope they did okay. I don't even know if the other persons insurance covered them or not.

WØTKX
05-24-2013, 01:37 PM
I carried minimum on the bike, with a liitle extra for uninsured/underinsured motorists. I carried a lot more on the Integra, everything but full collision, which they wouldn't do for an older car. As well as strong renters/homeowners all from the same company. The bundle is what helped me out.

I had (and have) excellent health insurance. Did my homework on these policies. If I ever ride again, I will carry more insurance.

K7SGJ
05-24-2013, 02:25 PM
I carried minimum on the bike, with a liitle extra for uninsured/underinsured motorists. I carried a lot more on the Integra, everything but full collision, which they wouldn't do for an older car. As well as strong renters/homeowners all from the same company. The bundle is what helped me out.

I had (and have) excellent health insurance. Did my homework on these policies. If I ever ride again, I will carry more insurance.

I think that is very smart for any bike rider, especially in a large metropolitan area. He doesn't think he will ride again, either, unless he gets a touring bike for highway trips, or something to trailer to the boonies. I rode when I was younger, too, and I got smacked by an ice truck (no not horse drawn) and ended up bouncing on the road, through a wooden fence, and over a bunch of roses and pyracantha bushes. I haven't done any serious riding since. Of course, my poor record on four wheels also makes me realize that driving on two wheels is just a death wish for this old man.

w2amr
05-24-2013, 03:48 PM

I've been riding on and off for about 46 years. It's a lot of fun, but you really have to pay attention to everything going on around you.

WØTKX
05-24-2013, 06:11 PM
When you ride a motorcycle, it's like being a fighter pilot without any weapons.

NQ6U
05-24-2013, 06:14 PM
When you ride a motorcycle, it's like being a fighter pilot without any weapons.

And completely surrounded by bogeys.

I finally gave up riding. Too many close calls with cages, I knew it was only a matter of time.

WØTKX
05-24-2013, 06:16 PM
I miss it, terribly. Rode for 31 years. Meditation in motion.

w2amr
05-25-2013, 03:19 AM
When you ride a motorcycle, it's like being a fighter pilot without any weapons.:lol: That's For sure.

n2ize
05-25-2013, 02:52 PM
I've been riding on and off for about 46 years. It's a lot of fun, but you really have to pay attention to everything going on around you.

Having grown up riding a bicycle almost all day every I feel more comfortable on two wheels than 4 be it a bicycle, moped, or motorcycle. But I agree on having to be very careful and pay close attention. There a lot of idiot drivers out there who don;t give a shit about you if your on a two wheeler. Their attitude seems to be, "My car/SUV is bigger and stronger than your two wheels so I can do what the heck I please". On several occaisions I have come close to being killed by arrogant car/SUV drivers who could care less about my life and safety while riding bicycles and mopeds. I haven't driven motorcycles often enough to have had any such experiences with bad drivers, but, with the attitudes on a lot of our roads you can never be too careful.

One reason I never got a motorcycle was that my folks are terrified of them. I know they'd be worried sick constantly if they knew I was out and about on bike most of the time. To avoid making them sick from stress and anxiety I have refrained from getting into motorcycles. Otherwise I would probably ride one and I would be inclined to take very long trips andf travel long distances on a bike. I think I would also be the type who is inclined to ride all year round, even in the midst of winter.

w2amr
05-25-2013, 04:45 PM
One reason I never got a motorcycle was that my folks are terrified of them. I know they'd be worried sick constantly if they knew I was out and about on bike most of the time.
I had the same deal when I was about 19. So I bought a 150 Honda dream and kept it in a friend's garage.

suddenseer
05-26-2013, 11:03 AM
I had the same deal when I was about 19. So I bought a 150 Honda dream and kept it in a friend's garage.My first motorcycle was a Honda 305 dream. I would like to have it back. I had a wonderful time on that machine.

w2amr
05-31-2013, 04:21 PM
My first motorcycle was a Honda 305 dream. I would like to have it back. I had a wonderful time on that machine.
They say you meet the nicest people on a Honda.