PDA

View Full Version : Ten Tec 506 Rebel

W3WN
05-21-2013, 01:18 PM
Ten Tec announced at QRP ARCI "4 Days in May" convention a new rig, which they then proceeded to show off at Hamvention.

Model 506, aka the Rebel, is an Open Source QRP radio (I'm told about 4 to 5 W out) for 40 & 20 meters. The rig is based on the 'ChipKit Uno32' processor, which is Arduino Compatible. It's being billed as an Open Source QRP radio.

Price is allegedly $199. John Henry from Ten Tec stated in an email to the Ten Tec reflector that the boards for the radio are on order, they should have them in about 3 weeks, and the rig is expected to be available for sale in July. Word is that if you call Ten Tec, you can place a 'pre order' reservation for it (as of this morning, it's not listed on their web site... yet)

This could be VERY interesting. Thoughts?

A review of one of the beta units can be found here: http://qrper.com/2013/05/ten-tec-introduces-the-model-506-rebel-an-open-source-qrp-transceiver/

NQ6U
05-21-2013, 01:20 PM
CW only, BTW. Just for folks' information.

X-Rated
05-21-2013, 01:41 PM
CW only, BTW. Just for folks' information.

What else is there?

NQ6U
05-21-2013, 01:49 PM
What else is there?

That other annoying beeping sound—digital. I've also heard of this thing called "phone" but I've never tried it myself.

K7SGJ
05-21-2013, 02:23 PM
That other annoying beeping sound—digital. I've also heard of this thing called "phone" but I've never tried it myself.

I just replace the two wires from the key with the two wires from an old telephone handset. Seems strange, the only ones that answer are those 10-10 characters.

NQ6U
05-21-2013, 02:34 PM
I just replace the two wires from the key with the two wires from an old telephone handset. Seems strange, the only ones that answer are those 10-10 characters.

Those guys answer me on my FRS talkies.

W3WN
05-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Yes, it's CW only. For now. That's not to say that once it's out there, a mod to the rig for other modes may become available.

Also, there's no frequency display on the rig... but they say that there's already one available that plugs right onto the board. (I suspect that I won't be the only person buying an extra case to hack up for mods etc.

If the rig proves successful, don't be surprised if it's replaced down the road with a "bigger" unit with more bands and more features. I'm told that there was a fellow selling a 2 band 1 W SDR rig, assembled, for about $250 -- and that he has a 4 band kit out for $150, but it requires assembly (with surface mount components) and some other things as well.

Interesting none the less.

W9NMT
06-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Ten Tec announced at QRP ARCI "4 Days in May" convention a new rig, which they then proceeded to show off at Hamvention.

Model 506, aka the Rebel, is an Open Source QRP radio (I'm told about 4 to 5 W out) for 40 & 20 meters. The rig is based on the 'ChipKit Uno32' processor, which is Arduino Compatible. It's being billed as an Open Source QRP radio.

Price is allegedly $199. John Henry from Ten Tec stated in an email to the Ten Tec reflector that the boards for the radio are on order, they should have them in about 3 weeks, and the rig is expected to be available for sale in July. Word is that if you call Ten Tec, you can place a 'pre order' reservation for it (as of this morning, it's not listed on their web site... yet)

This could be VERY interesting. Thoughts?

A review of one of the beta units can be found here: http://qrper.com/2013/05/ten-tec-introduces-the-model-506-rebel-an-open-source-qrp-transceiver/

The really interesting part of this is the fact that it is open source. The ChipKit Uno has a software IDE that looks just like the Arduino IDE. In fact, every program I've tried for the Arduino 328 family has run on the ChipKit. The main difference is that the ChipKit is clocked at 80Mhz instead of 16Mhz, giving it a huge performance boost. If you know C and don't like something about the Rebel, you might be able to change it in software! If you don't know C, take a look at Purdum's Beginning C for Arduino​; it's an easy intro to programming microcontrollers.

KB3LAZ
08-30-2013, 02:20 PM
It seems that pre-orders are now avalible.

http://www.tentec.com/rebel-model-506-open-source-qrp-cw-transceiver/

W3WN
08-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Yup. Just posted to the TT site.

Word from John Henry, about 2 weeks ago, is that production took a little longer than expected, and there were some technical issues with the manuals. But, they had the boards & the parts and were gearing up...

Kel, this may be a little expensive, but if you haven't looked into this rig, I'd strongly suggest it.

WØTKX
08-31-2013, 03:45 PM
I don't think she's adverse to CW, but wants to have digital mode capability, which means an SSB rig.