PDA

View Full Version : Head-On Crash on NorthEast Corridor (MetroNorth-AMTRAK Routes)

N2NH
05-20-2013, 01:59 AM
And the commuter service is expected to be out for a week. The combined speed according to the news reports was 140 MPH. The good side is nobody got killed despite the accident happening on the Friday evening rush hour.

A set of older MUs derailed just as a new set of MUs was headed southbound in Connecticut. The accident took place on the New Haven branch of the Metro-North RR, the busiest commuter line in the country (ex-New Haven RR Mainline).

Tens of thousands of commuters are bracing for a difficult trip through southwest Connecticut and into New York City Monday as workers repair the Metro-North commuter rail line crippled by a derailment and crash.Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy said Sunday evening that if all 30,000 affected commuters took to the highways to get to work, southwest Connecticut would be transformed into a parking lot. He says commuters heading to New York City might consider staying there.
Crews will spend days rebuilding 2,000 feet of track, overhead wires and signals following the collision between two trains Friday evening that injured 72 people, Metro-North President Howard Permut said Sunday. Nine remained hospitalized, including one critically. "This amounts to the wholesale reconstruction of a two-track electrified railroad," he said.

Amtrak service between New York City and Boston is also out.

Video HERE. (http://news.yahoo.com/video/tough-commutes-loom-investigation-continues-223000746.html)

Metro-North: Conn. Train Outage Expected for Days (http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/metro-north-trains-collide-delays-remain-connecticut--208068671.html)

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.5286263.1368834492!/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/feature_512/image.JPG

W3WN
05-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Whoopsie

KK4AMI
05-20-2013, 08:38 AM
It is amazing how no one was killed with the trains going that fast. Are they making everybody wear seat belts now?

KG4CGC
05-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Who says there is no Godzilla in New York?

PA5COR
05-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Ouch.....

K7SGJ
05-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Meh, that should buff out okay.

N2NH
05-21-2013, 01:13 AM
It is amazing how no one was killed with the trains going that fast. Are they making everybody wear seat belts now?

About 70 were injured, one seriously. They learned from some of the more lurid accidents that happened in the past. (http://www.oldkewgardens.com/ss-lirr/lirr-0650-14-OL.html) MN is my RR but not the New Haven line, so it has very little effect in this area.

Amazingly, service is supposed to be back to normal Wednesday.

K7SGJ
05-21-2013, 09:01 AM
When I was a little tyke, my Grandma used to take me to the RR station in Phoenix. Not much compared to the ones back east, but fun, non the less. I don't think there is passenger service in/out of phoenix any more. I think the closest is in Flagstaff. It's a pisser because I would love to take a train trip somewhere. A well functioning rail system is another lesson that could be learned from the Europeans, but alas, I fear it's too late. Woe is me.

NQ6U
05-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Woe is me.

I thought you was Eddie.

K7SGJ
05-21-2013, 09:31 AM
I thought you was Eddie.

I'm part Asian.

n2ize
05-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Those trains travel very s\fast along some stretches of the line. The New Haven line is powered by an overhead catenary system and when that gets wrecked its a pita to rebuild. The Harlem and Hudson lines use a third rail which I personally feel is less problematic. My line is the Harlem line. I remember many decades ago we also had the old Putnam line. The old tracks and remnants of that line can still be found among the trees and brush that has overtaken it over time.

KK4AMI
05-22-2013, 04:42 PM
When I was a little tyke, my Grandma used to take me to the RR station in Phoenix.

Over and over again. Ya, I'll bet she spent a fortune on one way tickets, but still you found your way home. :lol:

NQ6U
05-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Over and over again. Ya, I'll bet she spent a fortune on one way tickets, but still you found your way home. :lol:

She kept sending him here, but we kept sending him back.

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 05:45 PM
hasn't been discospt sending him here, but we kept sending him back.

Not true. California hadn't been discovered yet.

N2NH
05-23-2013, 06:08 AM
Not true. California hadn't been discovered yet.

That changed after they built the hotel.

K7SGJ
05-23-2013, 10:30 AM
That changed after they built the hotel.

I wonder what ever happened to all the construction workers that had to check in when they built the place?

NQ6U
05-23-2013, 11:21 AM
I wonder what ever happened to all the construction workers that had to check in when they built the place?

They froze to death in the hedge maze outside.

K7SGJ
05-23-2013, 07:01 PM
They froze to death in the hedge maze outside.

A very chilling thought, indeed.

WX7P
05-24-2013, 08:14 PM
When I was a little tyke, my Grandma used to take me to the RR station in Phoenix. Not much compared to the ones back east, but fun, non the less. I don't think there is passenger service in/out of phoenix any more. I think the closest is in Flagstaff. It's a pisser because I would love to take a train trip somewhere. A well functioning rail system is another lesson that could be learned from the Europeans, but alas, I fear it's too late. Woe is me.

The cross country passenger train still stops in Phoenix, well Maricopa. It's the Sunset Limited and used to go all the way to Jacksonville, FLA until the rail line got wiped out in the Gulf Coast by Ivan and Katrina.

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/628/272/Sunset-Limited-Schedule-031013.pdf

I took my daughter on that trip to Jacksonville in 1998. We had a deluxe bedroom which included meals. It would have been far cheaper to fly, but it was really a good time. We rented a car in Jacksonville and drove to DC and saw all the monuments. We were in line at the Capitol, but left because it was too hot and went to the Congressional Cemetery instead to see J. Edgar Hoover and John Philip Sousa's graves. While we were there, a whole bunch of sirens went off and there were beaucoup helicopters in the air. That was the day of the 1998 Capitol shooting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Capitol_shooting_incident_(1998)

We would have been in the Capitol at the time of the shooting if I hadn't gotten impatient waiting to get in. It was really hot there and the screening was SLOW. Can't imagine what's it's like now post-9/11.

K7SGJ
05-24-2013, 08:41 PM
The cross country passenger train still stops in Phoenix, well Maricopa. It's the Sunset Limited and used to go all the way to Jacksonville, FLA until the rail line got wiped out in the Gulf Coast by Ivan and Katrina.

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/628/272/Sunset-Limited-Schedule-031013.pdf

I took my daughter on that trip to Jacksonville in 1998. We had a deluxe bedroom which included meals. It would have been far cheaper to fly, but it was really a good time. We rented a car in Jacksonville and drove to DC and saw all the monuments. We were in line at the Capitol, but left because it was too hot and went to the Congressional Cemetery instead to see J. Edgar Hoover and John Philip Sousa's graves. While we were there, a whole bunch of sirens went off and there were beaucoup helicopters in the air. That was the day of the 1998 Capitol shooting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Capitol_shooting_incident_(1998)

We would have been in the Capitol at the time of the shooting if I hadn't gotten impatient waiting to get in. It was really hot there and the screening was SLOW. Can't imagine what's it's like now post-9/11.

You're correct about Maricopa. I had looked up train info awhile back, and had forgotten they stop there, or at least slow down a little. I was quite surprised. I just had some friends (yes, the rat does have amigos) come back from DC and they did the WH tour. No backpacks, no cameras, no nothing, and of course metal detectors etc. I'm surprised they don't strip you and send you through wearing one of those paper hospital gowns. Anyway, they said it was neat just being there and they really enjoyed walking around the outside areas of the WH that were open to the public, more so than the inside. If I ever get back there, I'll probably lose myself in the Aerospace museums. That's the stuff that truly interest me. I spent a week in the one in San Diego one day.

WX7P
05-24-2013, 10:07 PM
You're correct about Maricopa. I had looked up train info awhile back, and had forgotten they stop there, or at least slow down a little. I was quite surprised. I just had some friends (yes, the rat does have amigos) come back from DC and they did the WH tour. No backpacks, no cameras, no nothing, and of course metal detectors etc. I'm surprised they don't strip you and send you through wearing one of those paper hospital gowns. Anyway, they said it was neat just being there and they really enjoyed walking around the outside areas of the WH that were open to the public, more so than the inside. If I ever get back there, I'll probably lose myself in the Aerospace museums. That's the stuff that truly interest me. I spent a week in the one in San Diego one day.

You need to get to Dayton, Ohio for the air force museum.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

That place was unbelievable.

K7SGJ
05-24-2013, 10:14 PM
You need to get to Dayton, Ohio for the air force museum.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

That place was unbelievable.

We were planning on it, but we heard there are sewage problems in that town. A couple of years ago, someone's toilet backed up, and a couple of turds floated in. I swear, I thought they were referring to a couple of ham operators from HARA.

Actually, the AFM is on my bucket list. Now that the XYL has finally pulled the plug on working, maybe we can start doing some of these things in the coming years.

WX7P
05-25-2013, 07:14 AM
We were planning on it, but we heard there are sewage problems in that town. A couple of years ago, someone's toilet backed up, and a couple of turds floated in. I swear, I thought they were referring to a couple of ham operators from HARA.

Actually, the AFM is on my bucket list. Now that the XYL has finally pulled the plug on working, maybe we can start doing some of these things in the coming years.

You won't regret it. We are going back to the area later this summer. It's about 300 miles from here.

Dayton has a Packard museum and a Studebaker museum that I want to see. Sarah wants to go back to the AFM because there were some planes she didn't get to see.

The B-36 there is MASSIVE. I didn't realize the plane was that large.

Dayton also has some cool old architecture, the kind that you don't see on the west coast. We saw a number buildings with mansard roofs that really speak to French influence. I'm not up on Ohio history, but I wasn't aware the French got that far southwest.

There's a town outside of Dayton called Centerville, Ind which looked interesting too. It was obviously settled in the early part of the 1800's. They've got some really old buildings there too.