PDA

View Full Version : icom 7100

KB3LAZ
05-19-2013, 07:58 AM
A few weeks back we had a little aside about the icom 7100 in one thread or another. Everyone had their guess on price range. It seems that it is possible that they are already being sold in Asia. Eham has one review and an MSRP of 1,600 $. That being said I have seen no offical claims as of yet for USA release or price. The closest I can find is 180, 000-190, 000 ¥. However in said eham review the OP suggests that he paid around 132, 000 ¥. This is about 1, 300 $. I suppose that sounds about right. We see all of these radios set to sell at one price but the final numbers are different.

Assuming this is correct that puts it in the price range of the IC7000. At this price it is about 300 $ lower than I expected. It seems like a nice offer for the D-star folks out there. Less than double the cost of a 2m/70cm mobile with D-star and it offers coverage of 160-70cm. It is also a more economic alternative to the IC-9100.

So, assuming the 1, 300 $ price tag is close to being on the money, who here on the island will be giving it a test drive on their desk?

N8YX
05-19-2013, 08:25 AM
We looked at the -9100. If I was test-driving anything from Icom it would be that rig.

BTW: I saw at least five Omni Vs, more Omni VIs (both standard and Plus) than that, two Paragons, a Corsair II and a bunch of accessories from the era at Dayton. You could have fulfilled your wants list in one shopping trip.

And KWM380s. At least four in attendance, most I have ever seen.

KB3LAZ
05-19-2013, 08:45 AM
We looked at the -9100. If I was test-driving anything from Icom it would be that rig.

BTW: I saw at least five Omni Vs, more Omni VIs (both standard and Plus) than that, two Paragons, a Corsair II and a bunch of accessories from the era at Dayton. You could have fulfilled your wants list in one shopping trip.

And KWM380s. At least four in attendance, most I have ever seen.

I wouldnt spend that much for a simple test drive. Anything over 2k has to be on my short list.

That aside and unrelated; I was going to order a new ARRL handbook and Op manual but the cost of said items in the EU is not logical and buying them new + shipping from the states wasnt a much better alternative. So, I had my parents get into my storage and grab my most recent editions and ship them too me. Upon arrival my wife started reading one and she got this odd look on her face, cocked her head, and said "Unlike you, I dont have a hobby and I need one, is this interesting?" Upon which she said that she liked the idea of mountain topping, more or less. IE: She was interested in the KX3, CW, and hiking up mountains to make contacts.

What does this mean...I think I just lost half of my hobby funds. LOL.

I guess the real test will be to take her to Dayton next year and see if she is still interested.

X-Rated
05-19-2013, 09:06 AM
At the Icom booth, they did not have a price yet, but they were estimating $1500. fwiw.

KB3LAZ
05-19-2013, 09:14 AM
At the Icom booth, they did not have a price yet, but they were estimating $1500. fwiw.

That falls between what I have seen. I guess we shall see in the near future.

X-Rated
05-19-2013, 09:17 AM
That falls between what I have seen. I guess we shall see in the near future.

You're welcome. I am glad you appreciate the information I heard there.

N8YX
05-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Travis, do you two ride bicycles at all? Might look into bikepacking a KX3 or FT-817...perhaps an Icom 703 if you can find one on the used market.

KB3LAZ
05-19-2013, 09:21 AM
You're welcome. I am glad you appreciate the information I heard there.

Yes, thanks for the confirmation. I suppose we will have to see how accurate their guess is. IIRC the FTDX-5000 and TS-990 prices were off the mark. Though, again, IIRC their projections were rather vague whereas 1500$ an actual number rather than a range.

KB3LAZ
05-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Travis, do you two ride bicycles at all? Might look into bikepacking a KX3 or FT-817...perhaps an Icom 703 if you can find one on the used market.

My bike has an engine. :P Honestly, both of us prefer travel by foot if not by a motorized vehicle. At this point it was just a passing thought. I will have to wait and see if it festers. Who knows what she will find interesting once stateside. She is also into arts and crafts so she may go that route.

K7SGJ
05-19-2013, 10:51 AM
I wouldnt spend that much for a simple test drive. Anything over 2k has to be on my short list.

That aside and unrelated; I was going to order a new ARRL handbook and Op manual but the cost of said items in the EU is not logical and buying them new + shipping from the states wasnt a much better alternative. So, I had my parents get into my storage and grab my most recent editions and ship them too me. Upon arrival my wife started reading one and she got this odd look on her face, cocked her head, and said "Unlike you, I dont have a hobby and I need one, is this interesting?" Upon which she said that she liked the idea of mountain topping, more or less. IE: She was interested in the KX3, CW, and hiking up mountains to make contacts.

What does this mean...I think I just lost half of my hobby funds. LOL.

I guess the real test will be to take her to Dayton next year and see if she is still interested.

You may want to clarify her idea of mountain topping. She might be referring to a new sexual activity. You know, like a Dutch rudder, or
something like that. Although, radio is good, too.

KB3LAZ
05-19-2013, 11:52 AM
You may want to clarify her idea of mountain topping. She might be referring to a new sexual activity. You know, like a Dutch rudder, or
something like that. Although, radio is good, too.

She didnt use the word mountain topping, I did. :P I just looked it up...Im not sure how pooping is a sexual activity but meh.

K7SGJ
05-19-2013, 11:58 AM
She didnt use the word mountain topping, I did. :P I just looked it up...Im not sure how pooping is a sexual activity but meh.
Me either, but I was just using that as an example, poorly, I admit. I would have used yodelling in the gully, but as you can clearly see, I can't spell it.

KB3LAZ
05-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Me either, but I was just using that as an example, poorly, I admit.

Lol. TBH, my wife likes to read and learn. Id be willing to bet she would be more interested in reading about the hobby than participating in it. :p

K7SGJ
05-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Lol. TBH, my wife likes to read and learn. Id be willing to bet she would be more interested in reading about the hobby than participating in it. :p

There are a lot of hams on the air now I wish would do that. At least with her, she'd have a good Elmer to teach her the proper way to do things, and become an asset instead of an asshat to the hobby.