PDA

View Full Version : Cars / Horses and Buggies

n2ize
05-15-2013, 12:01 PM
So where has technology gotten us. A world filled with pollution, climate change, etc. One thing for certain. We didn't have global warming back when people used horses and buggies instead of cars. Perhaps it is time we rethink going back to a time when there was no cars, electricity, computers, etc. Somehow the world survived back then and was a lot healthier to live in.

X-Rated
05-15-2013, 12:35 PM
So where has technology gotten us. A world filled with pollution, climate change, etc. One thing for certain. We didn't have global warming back when people used horses and buggies instead of cars. Perhaps it is time we rethink going back to a time when there was no cars, electricity, computers, etc. Somehow the world survived back then and was a lot healthier to live in.

LOL. Streets full of horseshit isn't pollution? Before electricity and lightning and stuff? Quit your day job. You are ready for prime time.:-D

KC2UGV
05-15-2013, 12:38 PM

I don't think completely getting rid of technology is the way to go. However, I do think we need to closely examine when and how we apply technology.

ie:
Combustion engine in a truck carrying 80,000 lbs of freight across country = Good
Combustion engine in a truck weighing 9,000 lbs, carrying a 400lb person 1/2 mile round trip, to buy a half gallon of milk = bad.

NQ6U
05-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Combustion engine in a locomotive pulling several hundred thousand tons of freight = Better.

By the way, one of the things people used to say in the early days of automobiles is "At last our streets will be clean and safe!"

n2ize
05-15-2013, 01:23 PM
I don't think completely getting rid of technology is the way to go. However, I do think we need to closely examine when and how we apply technology.

ie:
Combustion engine in a truck carrying 80,000 lbs of freight across country = Good
Combustion engine in a truck weighing 9,000 lbs, carrying a 400lb person 1/2 mile round trip, to buy a half gallon of milk = bad.

How about this for efficiency. One Sunday a huge flatbed trailer left a warehouse in Dutchess County NY bound for Westchester County NY. Eventually the huge truck pulled up in front of my house. The flatbed was empty except for one small crate placed dead center on the flatbed. Anyone seeing that truck on the road might think it was carrying a cargo of uranium or something. The driver proceeded to lower a fork lift and drive the crate up my driveway where he left it. He exchanged a few words with us, mentioned something about the fuel consumption to run that huge truck, and then drove off heading back to Dutchess County.

Oh, what was inside that crate ? 1 snow thrower that we ordered from a Home Depot up near the Dutchess/Putnam border. The entire shipping was paid for by home depot including all the fuel that truck used to make the 50 mile or so trip.

Wow, talk about fuel consumption, energy, and waste....

KC2UGV
05-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Combustion engine in a locomotive pulling several thousand tons of freight = Better.

By the way, one of the things people used to say in the early days of automobiles is "At last our streets will be clean and safe!"

I agree 100%. I personally think trucks should be the "last mile" shipment method (UPS does this well, as does FedEx, I presume). For personal autos, I'm thinking we need to just make our cities more people-friendly Contrasted with car friendly), and the waste in auto usage will disappear.

How about this for efficiency. One Sunday a huge flatbed trailer left a warehouse in Dutchess County NY bound for Westchester County NY. Eventually the huge truck pulled up in front of my house. The flatbed was empty except for one small crate placed dead center on the flatbed. Anyone seeing that truck on the road might think it was carrying a cargo of uranium or something. The driver proceeded to lower a fork lift and drive the crate up my driveway where he left it. He exchanged a few words with us, mentioned something about the fuel consumption to run that huge truck, and then drove off heading back to Dutchess County.

Oh, what was inside that crate ? 1 snow thrower that we ordered from a Home Depot up near the Dutchess/Putnam border. The entire shipping was paid for by home depot including all the fuel that truck used to make the 50 mile or so trip.

Wow, talk about fuel consumption, energy, and waste....

I agree. Rather wasteful. I mean, there might be some mitigation there (You were the last dropoff), but sounds wasteful on it's face. Home Depot here doesn't use flatbeds. They use Ryder trucking service.

KG4CGC
05-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Remember how humans used to taste before trains?

PA5COR
05-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Combine this with the bycicle one, done.

NQ6U
05-15-2013, 02:41 PM

Their meat was a lot tougher then because everyone walked a lot more. Just another example of how technology has improved our lives.

KB3LAZ
05-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Cellphone to talk to the people at your dinner table.=not so good.
Checking your email while crossing the street.=Deadly.
Video game to play tennis, go bowling, etc.=bad(lazy).

Are these and other things as important as others already mentioned, no. However, I think that it shows that people dont know how to function while "unplugged".

Meh, seems to be how life is.

n2ize
05-15-2013, 05:34 PM

Of course I remember the good ol' days. You just can't forget things like that you know.

KG4NEL
05-16-2013, 11:56 AM
I remember when Morse Code used to be brought up within 2 posts of a thread like this.

I guess things really have changed in the last ten years :hyper:

KC2UGV
05-16-2013, 12:02 PM
I remember when Morse Code used to be brought up within 2 posts of a thread like this.

I guess things really have changed in the last ten years :hyper:

Now ya done it...

I prefer damped wave to cw though...

WØTKX
05-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Ahh, for the good old days...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/20/Haymarket_hanging.jpg

NQ6U
05-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Why are they hanging ghosts? Aren't they already dead, and wouldn't they just pass right through the ropes?

K7SGJ
05-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Why are they hanging ghosts? Aren't they already dead, and wouldn't they just pass right through the ropes?

I don't know about the three men, by as far as the woman goes, yeah, I would specter to.

W3WN
05-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Are you sure we'd be better off by abandoning technology?

Before you answer, read Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle's novel Fallen Angels for an alternate view. There's a synopsis here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallen_Angels_(science_fiction_novel) which doesn't do it justice.

WØTKX
05-16-2013, 04:04 PM

It's the hanging of the "anarchists" from the Haymarket riots in Chicago.

John's all for hanging and capital punishment.

Easy to check the piccie link. :roll: