PDA

View Full Version : My Contribution to Deforestation

W7XF
05-08-2013, 01:54 AM
AKA Dealing with the GUBMINT...
I swear I've probably caused the consumption of 3 reams of printer paper....yeah I was told by my doctors to file for disability as it looks like I'm not going back to work. My atrial fibrillation is now out of control, which possibly caused the stroke. Add to that, cardiomyopathy and also having to go on insulin for the diabetes....I will not be able to keep my CDL...and with all this...no one will hire me for any other job once they submit my info to their health insurer. And another revelation: If I get an insulin waiver for my CDL....Arizona does not honour them, even though it's a federal waiver.

Oh well...I guess I'm gonna play a lot of radio now. And , I'm doing the motions for my VE accreditation (ARRL) Might as well give back to the ham community.

VK3ZL
05-08-2013, 02:03 AM
Yaaa Kevin..Ride the punches and do your own thing...Get that 160 meter antenna up and running...Join the ON4KST Low Band Chat..Be the first Islander to work me on Topband..Nothing else matters..

Bob..VK3ZL..

K7SGJ
05-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Sorry to hear you won't be able to go back to driving. I wish you well on your upcoming bout with the Government. As you say, more radio is in your future. As Grandma used to tell me, when one door opens, get the fuck out of here and don't let it hit you in the ass on the way out. I sure miss the old broad.

KJ3N
05-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Congratulations on becoming one of the 47%. ;)

Enjoy your radio time.

PA5COR
05-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Take care of your health, more time for radio then, and the battle to get what you need...

kb2vxa
05-08-2013, 11:27 AM
"I wish you well on your upcoming bout with the Government."

Double ditto on that one! Just be aware things never go well when filing for Social Security Disability (SSD) and they will do everything possible to deny benefits so you may expect up to a two year delay as they put you through the mill. You may have full documentation from your physicians but expect the delay to include sending you to their doctors, one guess what's behind that. Considering what your doctors have to say I expect you to win your case so it all comes down to delaying tactics and the motive behind them. Since the first check is retroactive to the date of filing usually it's a whopper but don't expect it's all yours, while SSD is bulletproof that first check is Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or in other words standard SS retirement income and therein lies the money grab. Any and all debts come out of that check before you even get it, they're only merciful enough to give you enough money to get through to the next check which is where SSD begins.

"As Grandma used to tell me, when one door opens, get the fuck out of here and don't let it hit you in the ass on the way out."

Grandma must have had experience dealing with the government! The system sucks big time so I wish you the best of luck most sincerely.

WØTKX
05-08-2013, 11:45 AM
The problem is not government so much as the elected representatives that insist on cut backs to "starve the beast". Government for the people does not exist in reality. Good luck Kevin. You may have to pay for advocacy of benefits.

Not fair, but that's the way it is. As you get better, please consider political activism. You might get a good gig.

NQ6U
05-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Look at the bright side, Kevin: giving up your CDL automatically raises your IQ by 60 points and your brain is once again considered a vital organ.

N2CHX
05-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Cardiomyopathy... Welcome to the club. I've had it since I was very young. It almost killed me in 2003 and again in 2010.

Take care of yourself, relax and enjoy the time off.

KA9MOT
05-09-2013, 06:22 AM
Kevin, I went this exact route in 2006. It is hard road to travel. Save every penny you have and squeeze it tight. I had no problem getting Social Security Disability but I went 6 months with no income and if it weren't for my wife's family, we would have been homeless. As it was I spent 2 months with no electricity or phone, and had to sell off everything nice that we owned.

Do what you can do to help yourself now. And make friends with your local food shelf.

You won't have to give up your CDL until you renew it.

N2RJ
05-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Good luck, Kevin! Hope it all works out for you.

N2RJ
05-09-2013, 09:48 AM
You won't have to give up your CDL until you renew it.

You sure about that? I thought once the medical was no longer good, the CDL is not good. Well, you can keep the card and drive ordinary cars but I don't think you can legally drive a commercial vehicle.

N2RJ
05-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Kevin, you sure that you're precluded from all driving jobs? What about school bus or similar?

K7SGJ
05-09-2013, 09:56 AM
Kevin, you sure that you're precluded from all driving jobs? What about school bus or similar?

Not a bad idea. With the size of the roof on those things, he could have 160 thu 1296 antennas on top. This is W7XF yellow bus mobile calling CQ.

KA9MOT
05-09-2013, 06:54 PM
You sure about that? I thought once the medical was no longer good, the CDL is not good. Well, you can keep the card and drive ordinary cars but I don't think you can legally drive a commercial vehicle.

True, you can not drive a CMV legally, but you still have the CDL in your possession. When you go renew, they want a current completed Medical Form (Long Form) or they will not renew it. You have to switch to a regular non-commercial drivers license.

KA9MOT
05-09-2013, 06:57 PM

School bus requires CDL with Passenger Endorsement. He can drive ANYTHING that is a car (delivery driver, etc.). Taxi drivers have different requirements in different states. He my qualify in his or not. I think he can drive a Box Truck locally........ But I'm not sure...

W7XF
05-09-2013, 07:05 PM
School busses are CDL. As far as my current long form on file with MVD, it's valid thru mid-October...but one of the doctors confiscated my wallet card.. So it's just going to be a matter of time till I get the letter from MVD telling me I have 10 days to get my licence changed to a Class D/M. And a box truck under 26000 lb GVW is legal with a Class D.

KA9MOT
05-09-2013, 07:07 PM
School busses are CDL. As far as my current long form on file with MVD, it's valid thru mid-October...but one of the doctors confiscated my wallet card.. So it's just going to be a matter of time till I get the letter from MVD telling me I have 10 days to get my licence changed to a Class D/M. And a box truck under 26000 lb GVW is legal with a Class D.

I've heard of Dr doing that..... They pulled my Medical Card but not my CDL...... That's a bummer.

suddenseer
05-09-2013, 07:54 PM
I hate to read about this Kevin. It took my ex 6 years with an attorney to get his SSDI. There are lawyer's, and agencies that help with the initial application. If that is done correctly, it should sail through. My ex wife helped my ex partner (long story) do the medical stuff on his initial app. She f*cked it up royally.

N7YA
05-10-2013, 06:59 AM
No matter what, Kevin, its just good to see you back on here and not in some memorial thread...we've already had too many of those. I have been away for a bit...i notice your typing went from "heart patient on meds" level back to "Saucy Islander" in good time. Welcome back! Now, stick around a while, goddammit! :)

K7SGJ
05-10-2013, 10:52 AM
No matter what, Kevin, its just good to see you back on here and not in some memorial thread...we've already had too many of those. I have been away for a bit...i notice your typing went from "heart patient on meds" level back to "Saucy Islander" in good time. Welcome back! Now, stick around a while, goddammit! :)

Oh yeah! I don't remember you raising your hand and asking permission to leave. WTF

N7YA
05-10-2013, 04:36 PM
I am rebellious...i didnt bring my hall pass either. :shock:

WX7P
05-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Wow. SSDI. Can a person live on that?

Sorry to hear about this, Kevin, I just clicked onto this thread today.

I can't say I know much about the CDL issue (every time I see that, I think "California Driver License) but it seems like you ought to be able to do some kind of support job with your experience. Dispatcher maybe, or Instructor?

N2NH
05-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Congratulations on becoming one of the 47%. ;)

Enjoy your radio time.

Yes What James said. I know when I applied it took awhile. But New York has the highest initial rejection rate in the US so you probably will get it on the first try. Sorry to hear of your illness, but Good luck in getting approval.

K7SGJ
05-10-2013, 06:43 PM
I am rebellious...i didnt bring my hall pass either. :shock:

I guess that's what live in Vegas will do to a person. You won't find folks like that in Maine. ya rowdy bastid.

N7YA
05-11-2013, 03:26 AM
>sigh< Thank Odin! I am soooooo over this fucking place....

KA9MOT
05-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Wow. SSDI. Can a person live on that?

I do, it's not easy.

I can't say I know much about the CDL issue (every time I see that, I think "California Driver License) but it seems like you ought to be able to do some kind of support job with your experience. Dispatcher maybe, or Instructor?

Yes he can! Not instructor, but Dispatch, Planning, Logging and/or other paperwork (BORING!!!) and maybe Safety or in the shop. Swift is large enough, they should be able to find him a spot somewhere.

NQ6U
05-12-2013, 02:50 PM
Yes he can! Not instructor, but Dispatch, Planning, Logging and/or other paperwork (BORING!!!) and maybe Safety or in the shop. Swift is large enough, they should be able to find him a spot somewhere.

You know the old trucker's joke, Steve: What do you do with someone too dumb to be a driver? Make him a dispatcher.

W7XF
05-13-2013, 05:31 AM
I do, it's not easy.

Steve, that would be great.....except for the 115 mile commute....each way....

KA9MOT
05-13-2013, 07:05 AM
Steve, that would be great.....except for the 115 mile commute....each way....

115 miles? That's baby steps for a high stepper like yourself! :)

That would be a problem.......

KA9MOT
05-13-2013, 07:06 AM
You know the old trucker's joke, Steve: What do you do with someone too dumb to be a driver? Make him a dispatcher.

Not even a truck driver could lie like a dispatcher...... :)