PDA

View Full Version : Adobe done done it...

AE1PT
05-07-2013, 06:04 PM
It's off to the cloud with Adobe Creative Suite. As of right now, there are no more physical or download packages to deal with. Everything is done by MONTHLY subscription through their new "Creative Cloud." It was not that long ago that they closed the door on upgrading any further than the previous release. So if you had v5 and wanted to go to v6, you were good. 4 to 6? Not happening.

At this time, things like Elements, LightRoom, and Acrobat are remaining standalone. It looks like my v5.1 is the end of the Photoshop trail for me. But then again, what more can they add? Nothing really except interface improvements and a bell or whistle since v4. Seems that there are still a few boxed versions available through various retail outlets. Get them while you can--because there will be no replenishment.

I guess that the MBA's who run Adobe got enough of folks that bought a version and made it last for 5 or more years without upgrading...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/adobes-subscription-model-and-the-future-of-software/2013/05/07/617bfb10-b70d-11e2-b94c-b684dda07add_story.html?wpisrc=nl_tech_b

n6hcm
05-08-2013, 03:27 AM
actually, that's not until next month.

NQ6U
05-08-2013, 12:20 PM
It will be very interesting to see how this pans out for them.

N1LAF
05-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Maybe they are in competition with Microsoft for the worst idea and practice of the year.

There are plenty of other software out there, most anyone can walk away from Adobe.

NQ6U
05-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Not entirely. The whole graphic design field works with Illustrator and InDesign and there really are no viable competitors to either one at the moment.

n6hcm
05-09-2013, 03:37 AM
Not entirely. The whole graphic design field works with Illustrator and InDesign and there really are no viable competitors to either one at the moment.

yeah, but even a considerable part of the business community which works with cs tools doesn't license them properly. furthermore, uploading and downloading large files for editing will just plain suck--most of the world isn't really ready for doing business in the cloud.

my own copy of creative suite is version 4 and i don't have the $ to upgrade before next month so my master suite will stay where it is until i find an alternative.

NQ6U
05-09-2013, 08:40 AM
yeah, but even a considerable part of the business community which works with cs tools doesn't license them properly. furthermore, uploading and downloading large files for editing will just plain suck--most of the world isn't really ready for doing business in the cloud.

I agree, and I think this may be an opening for another company to step in with a new software package to challenge Adobe's dominance in the field. That's not a bad thing. Adobe has grown too complacent, to the point of arrogance, even. Perhaps Quark will get it's mojo back? Not that they're any better than Adobe, though, especially in the arrogance department.

K7SGJ
05-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Wasn't Quark a charactor on Star Trek?