PDA

View Full Version : Who's Going to Dayton?

WX7P
05-07-2013, 04:18 PM
I just found out that Sarah is working graveyard at the plant during Dayton. I have a free pass to go.

I'd love to meet up with fellow Islanders.

Who is going?

X-Rated
05-07-2013, 04:24 PM
I should be dragging N8WTF along.

WX7P
05-07-2013, 04:31 PM

Cool. We can find some good Vietnamese food.

K7SGJ
05-07-2013, 04:33 PM

Shirley, you can find a place inside the car, eh?

X-Rated
05-07-2013, 04:51 PM

What do I look like? An effin' Canuck? :wtf:

NQ6U
05-07-2013, 04:52 PM

Or, at least a carrier on the roof, a la Mitt.

K7SGJ
05-07-2013, 04:53 PM
What do I look like? An effin' Canuck? :wtf:

Oh, well then drag away.

X-Rated
05-07-2013, 05:13 PM
We will try to keep from using the restroom until we get there from now until Friday next. Do our part to create the ShitDayno of 2013.

I like walking passed all the exam takers and saying, "Good luck in the test".

Asking Bob Heil, "Where the hell did I dine?"

Seeing if I still have 3WN's phone number and calling him out of his DX Forum.

Go to Bible study. Steven Bible.

Go to the Alinco booth and ask if they still make Azdens. Make a reference to how the guy's name there is like the Hara Center name.

Check out the hot chicks selling parts and accessories.

Look for the girl who has a Yagi sprouting out of her head.

Tell the foreign hams that I don't recognize their prefix.

Go to the ARRL section and wonder why I went there.

Eat $1 hotdogs for $12.

Look at the new rigs and see how much they are like the old rigs.

There are millions of things there. Not to mention the real reason people go. The flea market.

WØTKX
05-07-2013, 05:46 PM
You forgot setting the radios to 27.185.

W3WN
05-08-2013, 07:41 AM
Shirley, you can find a place inside the car, eh?He can. And don't call him Shirley.

I should be there. Should be spending most of Friday & Saturday AM wandering the Flea Market; Saturday PM is for the DX forum.

W3WN
05-08-2013, 07:42 AM
< snip >
Seeing if I still have 3WN's phone number and calling him out of his DX Forum.
< snip >
Thanks for the warning. I'll turn the phone off.

wa6mhz
05-08-2013, 08:51 AM
I and the good Nun will roll into Dayton next Tuesday, and be there for the duration till we head back Sunday afternoon. Trip is 4400 miles from San Diego! About $700-$800 in gas! But we have a big trunk to stash BOAT ANCHORS!!! One already lined up is a Heathkit HX-10 Maurader! Wife will be mad when she sees THAT! So I will hear CRABBING all the way back!

Hope to see some Islanders while I am there. I will be in the ARRL HT Testing booth for the majority of the time, with ARRL Lab Engineer Bob WB1GCM. Also will be giving a program on Vintage Radio restoration Sunday morning at 9AM in Room 3.

Dayton is always the most fun U can have in life!

KJ3N
05-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Dayton is always the most fun U can have in life!

You must not have much of a life. :lame:

I, as usual, will not be going. :hand:

X-Rated
05-08-2013, 09:46 AM
You must not have much of a life. :lame:

I, as usual, will not be going. :hand:

http://www.hamsexy.com/sexy4.png

She will not be making contact with you and her 2 HT's then.

KJ3N
05-08-2013, 09:49 AM

She will not be making contact with you and her 2 HT's then.

PhotoShop is a neat tool, isn't it?

N8YX
05-08-2013, 10:45 AM
'DSG and I will be there Thursday afternoon through Saturday.

Her birthday party will be held (as usual) at the Englewood Exit ( SR48 )Tumbleweed, starting around 5PM
and going til whenever. Everyone is welcome to join us. We're also up for a Thursday evening or Saturday afternoon gathering...whatever works.

W2NAP
05-08-2013, 11:25 AM
really really doubt ill go. unless I magiclly hit the lotto.

wa6mhz
05-08-2013, 11:36 AM
'DSG and I will be there Thursday afternoon through Saturday.

Her birthday party will be held (as usual) at the Englewood Exit ( SR48 )Tumbleweed, starting around 5PM
and going til whenever. Everyone is welcome to join us. We're also up for a Thursday evening or Saturday afternoon gathering...whatever works.
Come to the Hooters Thursday!!! Big gathering of DXers and Contesters there around 6.

AE1PT
05-08-2013, 11:49 AM
I would love to go and snap up an SUV full of flea market goodies that have been preoccupying my mind--and eyeball a number of curious folk. I have not made it there since 2008.

Unfortunately, I just shelled out $9K to paint my house--and a big family trip to NYC this weekend is sure to eat up ~$2000. I will be lucky to have gas money to make it to Rochester next month... :irked:

X-Rated
05-08-2013, 11:58 AM
PhotoShop is a neat tool, isn't it?

Yeah. I wish I could afford Photoshop.

W3WN
05-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Come to the Hooters Thursday!!! Big gathering of DXers and Contesters there around 6.
I thought I was reading somewhere the other day (and I don't remember if it was hither, Over Yonder, or elsewhere) that there was some... friction, for lack of a better term, from the group who originally set up the Hooters gathering. Something about too many non-members and non-invited hams showing up and crowding them out. Or am I misremembering things?

Meanwhile, little ditties like this get sent out over the contesting reflector...

Re: [CQ-Contest] Hooters on Thursday at Dayton

On 05/08/13, Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:

There is a Hooters contesters get together next Thursday, as there is every year at Dayton. Anybody care to post address and time? It's one my favorite get togethers at Dayton.

Bill K4XS

W3WN
05-08-2013, 12:16 PM

She will not be making contact with you and her 2 HT's then.What's that in her navel? A ground plane?

NQ6U
05-08-2013, 12:50 PM
What's that in her navel? A ground plane?

It's one of Chip's fractal antennas.

W2NAP
05-08-2013, 02:00 PM
I would love to go and snap up an SUV full of flea market goodies that have been preoccupying my mind--and eyeball a number of curious folk. I have not made it there since 2008.

Unfortunately, I just shelled out $9K to paint my house--and a big family trip to NYC this weekend is sure to eat up ~$2000. I will be lucky to have gas money to make it to Rochester next month... :irked:

9K to paint a house? holy shit.

NQ6U
05-08-2013, 02:08 PM
9K to paint a house? holy shit.

Pat does have a rather large house with a lot of detail work...

http://www.eurekaheritage.org/images/Carson%20Mansion%20pic%2004.JPG

KJ3N
05-08-2013, 02:12 PM
It's one of Chip's fractal antennas.

:rofl:

NQ6U
05-08-2013, 02:40 PM
:rofl:

You laugh, but she can work 160m on the thing.

W7XF
05-08-2013, 03:14 PM
You forgot setting the radios to 27.185 14.313.

Fixed!!!

N8YX
05-08-2013, 03:52 PM
You forgot setting the radios to 27.18514.31327.025.

Fixed!!!

Fixed again.

No excuses.

:mrgreen:

X-Rated
05-08-2013, 03:52 PM
I maintain that anyone who feels the need to publicly affirm their heterosexuality isn't heterosexual.

Yeah. I freaked out when I watched a video on some college kids who were protesting homosexuality. One guy on homosexual relationships said, "Well of course I am a little curious, but then who isn't?" Chryst.

Fixed!!! You can get worse than 27.185.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm. Hmmmmmmmm. Climbing the mast maybe?

wa6mhz
05-08-2013, 06:28 PM
I thought I was reading somewhere the other day (and I don't remember if it was hither, Over Yonder, or elsewhere) that there was some... friction, for lack of a better term, from the group who originally set up the Hooters gathering. Something about too many non-members and non-invited hams showing up and crowding them out. Or am I misremembering things?

Meanwhile, little ditties like this get sent out over the contesting reflector...

There is a Hooters contesters get together next Thursday, as there is every year at Dayton. Anybody care to post address and time? It's one my favorite get togethers at Dayton.

Bill K4XS

It has gotten quite large. Originally just a Ohio Contest club, they soon found out DXers and Corntesters wanted a place to PARTY Thursday and they all moved in. The Hooters has a small area roped off for the party, not a separate room. Think they oughta use the roped off are for REGULAR customers now, and use the Rest of the room for the DXers Party!

W3WN
05-08-2013, 09:33 PM
The "official" invitation went out tonight on CQ Contest. I wonder if the malcontents are aware of the blanket invite?

Regardless, K3AIR & I will be leaving here about the time the festivities start, and that presumes that he'll leave Butler on time. Maybe next year.

But we will have dinner either Friday or Saturday night at the Buffalo Wild Wings just off the U of Dayton campus, on Erma Bombeck drive.

K7SGJ
05-08-2013, 11:59 PM

You should see how she ran the radials.

n6hcm
05-09-2013, 03:33 AM
every time i think i want to go to dayton i go look at the flights and it all looks *so* unattractive. i guess i need to shop earlier, but any flight to dayton from here is suboptimal.

maybe next may--i can stop over in dayton on the way back from graduation ...

W3WN
05-09-2013, 09:39 AM
every time i think i want to go to dayton i go look at the flights and it all looks *so* unattractive. i guess i need to shop earlier, but any flight to dayton from here is suboptimal.

maybe next may--i can stop over in dayton on the way back from graduation ...Well, you can always arrange a car pool with Pat...

K7SGJ
05-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Well, you can always arrange a car pool with Pat...

Or a cesspool?

W7XF
05-09-2013, 06:57 PM

maybe next may--i can stop over in dayton on the way back from graduation ...
Trust me....the airlines, eateries and hotels in a 200 mile radius of Dayton know about Hamvention...and price accordingly (READ: Double their prices, and hotels usually have 4-night minimums. Can we hear the mooooooo of the cash cow???? It should be louder than the rumble of Mt. CaCa!!!

n6hcm
05-11-2013, 04:04 AM
Well, you can always arrange a car pool with Pat...

uh, no. i think a road trip to southern california is torture--a cross-country road trip with anyone is out of the question.

KG4CGC
05-11-2013, 05:52 AM

Bill K4XS

A&E needs to do a "so called reality" show about rival ham gangs at Dayton. Opening scene with the Ohio boys mounting their Rascals and Hamabouts heading out to the coffee and donut hut while they pan over to the West Coast gang on their scooter chairs heading to the fester gates. After a long and drawn out battle of the mouths and asses, the whole show climaxes to a slow motion stand off of rivals with piss bags about to flail each other among the eruption of the street level shit volcano.

K7SGJ
05-11-2013, 08:43 AM
A&E needs to do a "so called reality" show about rival ham gangs at Dayton. Opening scene with the Ohio boys mounting their Rascals and Hamabouts heading out to the coffee and donut hut while they pan over to the West Coast gang on their scooter chairs heading to the fester gates. After a long and drawn out battle of the mouths and asses, the whole show climaxes to a slow motion stand off of rivals with piss bags about to flail each other among the eruption of the street level shit volcano.

Not a bad idea for a segue for Hoarders.

WX7P
05-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Not a bad idea for a segue for Hoarders.

No kidding.

There was a ham in Livermore, CA who I used to see at flea markets and was active on the 40 meter swap net. I sold him about $1500 in equipment over the years, a tidy sum in the 80's. Nice guy, he was always cordial, but you could tell he was a little "off" in some way.

Anyway, he died about 6 years ago. Someone helped out his widow by putting all his ham gear on ebay (Surprise! it was all above board, how novel). The auctions went on for weeks. This guy probably had $100,000+ in used equipment that he had hoarded over the years. I even saw the Yaesu 890 I sold him in 1993 and the two Drake UV-3's I sold him in 1987! This guy had acquired more equipment than Universal Radios used department. Not bad for a commercial electrician.

K7SGJ
05-11-2013, 09:35 AM
No kidding.

There was a ham in Livermore, CA who I used to see at flea markets and was active on the 40 meter swap net. I sold him about $1500 in equipment over the years, a tidy sum in the 80's. Nice guy, he was always cordial, but you could tell he was a little "off" in some way.

Anyway, he died about 6 years ago. Someone helped out his widow by putting all his ham gear on ebay (Surprise! it was all above board, how novel). The auctions went on for weeks. This guy probably had $100,000+ in used equipment that he had hoarded over the years. I even saw the Yaesu 890 I sold him in 1993 and the two Drake UV-3's I sold him in 1987! This guy had acquired more equipment than Universal Radios used department. Not bad for a commercial electrician.

No kidding.

How'd you like the UV3s. I had a friend that owned one, and I always wanted one. He had all three modules in it, and it was the nicest multi band u/v on the market. Sounded really sweet on the air, too. In fact, I don't remember anyone else that had one in their line.

WX7P
05-11-2013, 09:54 AM
No kidding.

How'd you like the UV3s. I had a friend that owned one, and I always wanted one. He had all three modules in it, and it was the nicest multi band u/v on the market. Sounded really seet on the air, too. In fact, I don't remember anyone else that had one in their line.

They were great, and I wish I had never sold them. I had dipswitch PL on mine and the separation cables. 220 was getting big in the Bay Area when I had those radios, so it was cool to have that capability.

I had a chance to get another one a few years back but I fucked up that transaction through inaction.

X-Rated
05-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Well things have been going crappy here. I have the flu. Mebbe I can get rid of it by Thursday.

The hamvention website said tickets ordered after the 7th would be held in will call so I ordered on the 8th. My plan was to keep from losing the tickets and just wait in line there. Well as luck would have it, the worst possible scenario occurred. They sent one ticket for my $40. I called them Friday night when I opened the letter. Well they were all like pissy saying that they spoke with the guy who did my envelope and that he put 2 tickets in there. They must be stuck together. I assured the caller that I held the ticket to the light and there is only one serial number. They said they doubted there would be anything they could do but they would check into it. I got another call then last night saying they see their error and that the 2 tickets had the same serial number assigned. So the other ticket will be in will call.

WØTKX
05-11-2013, 08:56 PM
They know you hang out on Hamis, and discriminated against you.

X-Rated
05-13-2013, 11:38 AM
No doubt. Well, they decided to give me my other ticket. I was going to cancel the charge and stay home if they didn't remedy their error.

N2RJ
05-14-2013, 09:16 AM
I wanted to go this year, but saw no reason to. Maybe next year I'll plan a trip for the after hours festivities and find something else to occupy me during the day. Part of the reason is that I hate Hara, even moreso after the shit volcano.

There's a range nearby that my friends go to, plus the air force museum. I'm sure there's other stuff to do. Maybe I'll do that instead.

In years past our club had the hospitality suite which was awesome. Met quite a few fine folks there. Met a few islanders at Dayton as well including Fred N8YX.

W3WN
05-14-2013, 09:25 PM
Well, my plans just blew up in my face.

High School scheduled the Spring Choir Concert for Thursday night. It's now a 2 hour event, and Little Miss Field Day is scheduled for several featured solos. Missing it is not an option.

My ride had planned on a earlier departure; but I'm now most likely not going to be able to leave until 10 PM, between one thing and another. (Even if the concert ends at 9, between one thing & another, we wouldn't be home until 9:30 at the earliest... and that's assuming that LMFD doesn't stop to schmooze, which she will)

So, there goes Friday.

Now I have to see if I can swing a ride on Friday night for Saturday. I'm not holding my breath, most people have already made their plans. (And it's not just getting to Dayton, but getting to the U of Dayton dorms -- U of D is about 15 blocks south of downtown, so it's more than a little out of the way for most people)

Nutz.

X-Rated
05-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Bummer dude.

KJ3N
05-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Nutz.

They itch....

W7XF
05-15-2013, 12:06 AM
Of course...if anyone wants to put my name/call on some raffle tickets...... ;):stickpoke::werd:

X-Rated
05-15-2013, 10:20 AM
N8WTF is jazzed about having Tex Mex on Friday night at the Tumbleweed. What's DSG wanting for the birthday?

X-Rated
05-15-2013, 10:22 AM
Of course...if anyone wants to put my name/call on some raffle tickets...... ;):stickpoke::werd:

I can't see where you can order them online anymore so I guess they would be $25. I could watch your ticket number on the screens if you want me to do that for you. You want to spend $25 for a ticket?

N8YX
05-15-2013, 01:47 PM
N8WTF is jazzed about having Tex Mex on Friday night at the Tumbleweed. What's DSG wanting for the birthday?

Same as she always gets: Room with a hot tub and to get out of the house for a while! :lol:

We buy stuff for each other all year long and usually skip holidays, birthdays and anniversaries. Heck, just seeing Tim (suddenseer) again along with the rest of the crowd and trying to avoid jail in the process will be a nice enough treat. :mrgreen:

X-Rated
05-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Well, it will be great meeting you and the mysterious DSG. I am really looking forward to it.