PDA

View Full Version : What Did You Celebrate Yesterday?

W3WN
05-06-2013, 12:27 PM
never mind, should have put this in a different forum.

N2NH
05-06-2013, 07:14 PM
I missed yesterday so today I listened to yesterday. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRNn5nR2Yco)

ki4itv
05-06-2013, 07:16 PM
I was celebrating the fact that I would feel like shit today. :doh:
3 AM is not as friendly as it used to be.

w0aew
05-06-2013, 07:41 PM
'Nother day of living....

KG4CGC
05-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Rain ...

W2NAP
05-06-2013, 08:33 PM
what was yesterday?

K7SGJ
05-06-2013, 08:43 PM
The end of the non stop return drive from Austin to here. 1100 miles. What a boring pisser. And the low band part of the FT857D quit working on the way over. A real pisser.

NQ6U
05-06-2013, 08:52 PM
The end of the non stop return drive from Austin to here. 1100 miles. What a boring pisser. And the low band part of the FT857D quit working on the way over. A real pisser.

Did you take U.S. 290 past the old LBJ ranch?

K7SGJ
05-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Did you take U.S. 290 past the old LBJ ranch?

Yes we did. That's some really pretty country around there. Next time we go, we are going to allow some time for looking around and doing some shopping in Fredricksberg (burg). A very cool little town. Also, there are a metric shit ton of old abandoned buildings, structures and ghost towns that would make for some very nice B/W photography, as well as nice color contrast with all the greenery. This trip was to go to a dinner for her getting the Teacher of the Year award for her school, and to fix up a lot of problems with her house as she is getting ready to put it on the market and move closer to her school.

NQ6U
05-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Yeah, it's very atypical country for Texas, kind of reminds me of parts of Northern California. Used to go that way from time to time when I was driving the big truck, always wanted to stop in at the LBJ ranch but never had the time.

K7SGJ
05-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Yeah, it's very atypical country for Texas, kind of reminds me of parts of Northern California. Used to go that way from time to time when I was driving the big truck, always wanted to stop in at the LBJ ranch but never had the time.

Speaking of big trucks, I thought of you yesterday because I wanted to ask you if you knew the following. WTF is with that four sided contraption, that looks like the flaps on top of a cardboard box, some of the semi-trilers have on the rear? I assume it has to do with aerodynamics since all four doo dahs are interconnected. I mostly saw them on every MVT (Mesilla Valley Transport ?) trailer, but did see a few on others. I may have seen this before, but I sure don't remember it.

NQ6U
05-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Speaking of big trucks, I thought of you yesterday

My condolences. But, if you're talking about these things:

http://r2.cygnuspub.com/files/cygnus/image/FMS/2010/AUG/600x400/atdynamic_10165637.jpg

then, yep, they're supposed to improve the aerodynamics. Never pulled a trailer that had them myself but I'll bet they're a PITA when it comes time to back into a dock. Bet they get busted off a lot by drivers who forget they're there while negotiating crowded truck stops too.

K7SGJ
05-06-2013, 09:32 PM
My condolences. But, if you're talking about these things:

http://r2.cygnuspub.com/files/cygnus/image/FMS/2010/AUG/600x400/atdynamic_10165637.jpg

then, yep, they're supposed to improve the aerodynamics. Never pulled a trailer that had them myself but I'll bet they're a PITA when it comes time to back into a dock. Bet they get busted off a lot by drivers who forget they're there while negotiating crowded truck stops too.

Yup, that's the critter. I was stuck behind one for about an hour yesterday, while they cleaned up a crash outside of Benson, and was looking it over. It looks like the connecting arms cause the flaps to change depending on turbulemce. As far as offloading the truck goes, can they be moved out of the way for full acess to the cargo?

NQ6U
05-07-2013, 02:35 AM
I had to look it up (http://www.atdynamics.com/trailertail.htm) but it appears that they fold up out of the way automatically when the driver opens the rear doors. The manufacturer is claiming 3-4% fuel savings. Seems like a good idea in theory but knowing how big trucking fleets often defer non-essential maintenance, I wonder how long they'll last in the real world.

wa6mhz
05-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Rain ...

As a matter of fact, that is EXACTLY what we are celebrating here in SoCal. Early last week, we had a Red Flag Warning, with Santa Ana winds and there were all sorts of wildfires over the area. The biggest one was up around Ventura and Cammarillo, West of LA. Another big one was in Banning. It looked as if the firestorms would burn the southland down, but then the RAIN came and put them out. Still rainy today, we just LOVE IT!!!

W3WN
05-08-2013, 02:19 PM
But I thought it never rained in California...

NQ6U
05-08-2013, 02:26 PM
But I thought it never rained in California...

A misleading meme created by the California Chamber of Commerce.

K7SGJ
05-08-2013, 03:53 PM
A misleading meme created by the California Chamber of Commerce.

And Albert Hammond