PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man 3 or Star Trek: Into Darkness....what to see?

al2n
04-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Can only watch one of them on the big screen. I am a Trek fan so I am heavily leaning toward that film, but the Iron Man movies have been pretty darn good too.

I may be able to sneak in without the family and see them both, but with theater prices these days a trip for all of us with popcorn, soda, etc, usually sets us back nearly 100 bucks. I can go alone for under 15 most of the time, yet the womenfolk cannot go to a movie without it costing me nearly 25 bucks a head on average.

NQ6U
04-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Judging by the quality of the last movies of both franchises, I would go for Star Trek: Into Darkness.

W3WN
04-30-2013, 09:21 PM
No offense to Robert Downey Jr... but he'll wait for basic cable.

ST

KC9ECI
04-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Trek. I don't normally go see too many shows at the theater. Similar situation, wife, kids, popcorn, etc. I happen to be a bachelor the weekend that Trek opens....I'll be in Arcadia doing ham radio comms in support of a bike event.

XE1/N5AL
05-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Star Trek hasn't made it down here yet. Iron Man 3 is in the theatres now -- ticket prices (in U.S. dollars) run from $2.63 to $3.95.

Although not an action flick, the most recent movie I watched was excellent. I believe it is called "The Intouchables (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intouchables)", in English. This comedy is French, but I saw it "dubbed in Spanish", with English subtitles. Dubbed movies usually suck and subtitled movies often leave out detail. This time, I noticed something different: the English subtitles were more detailed and funnier than the Spanish-dubbed audio. Maybe it's because certain cultural references translate easier between French speakers and English speakers. Curiously, the English subtitles also retained the "dirty words", whereas the dubbed Spanish had been properly cleansed. If I ever learn French, I would love to watch this movie in its original language presentation.

KC2UGV
05-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Into the Darkness.

PA5COR
05-01-2013, 04:24 PM
i'll wait a year and see them on German commercial TV through satellite ;)

wa6mhz
05-01-2013, 04:40 PM
I would bet Star Trek doesn't have anywhere near the amount of ACTION Ironman will have. I have seen most of the Star trek pix and they are all very slow going and not intense. There is good times, though, and a good story line. We already know what happens in Ironman; most likely the same that happened in 1 & 2. But we get our MONEYSWORTH out of the CG and Action scenes! I am anxious for both to come out on cable in a coupla years so I can see them on my 47 inch Flat screen and surround sound home theater system. I have double subwoofers for more house shaking effects!

N2NH
05-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Star Trek. The new Trek movie a few years ago was excellent. Traditional TOS fans might not like it, but it is true to the genre. I grew up on Marvel Comics and as good as Iron Man is, Trek will usually win (unless it's The Avengers).

W3WN
05-01-2013, 11:39 PM
Star Trek. The new Trek movie a few years ago was excellent. Traditional TOS fans might not like it, but it is true to the genre. I grew up on Marvel Comics and as good as Iron Man is, Trek will usually win (unless it's The Avengers).I think you've put your finger on it.

We know what to expect from the rusty senior. Pretty much everything to date has been right out of the comics, almost verbatim. Some small bits of modernization, things aren't being presented in the same order, but really... same old, same old.

The new Star Trek, though... while we know the characters (we THINK we do, at least), it is NOT the same old that the great bird of the galaxy laid out almost 50 years ago. This is an entirely different 'universe'. There is no connection with the original continuity going forward... you might even say that the discontinuity starts as James Tiberius Kirk is born. So: Anything can happen. There are no guarantees.

That said, based on the trailers and ads I've seen so far... why do I have a sneaky hunch that the main villian will be (a completely different) Kahn?

KC2UGV
05-02-2013, 06:40 AM
I would bet Star Trek doesn't have anywhere near the amount of ACTION Ironman will have. I have seen most of the Star trek pix and they are all very slow going and not intense. There is good times, though, and a good story line. We already know what happens in Ironman; most likely the same that happened in 1 & 2. But we get our MONEYSWORTH out of the CG and Action scenes! I am anxious for both to come out on cable in a coupla years so I can see them on my 47 inch Flat screen and surround sound home theater system. I have double subwoofers for more house shaking effects!

You never watched the 2009 Star Trek then.

Star Trek. The new Trek movie a few years ago was excellent. Traditional TOS fans might not like it, but it is true to the genre. I grew up on Marvel Comics and as good as Iron Man is, Trek will usually win (unless it's The Avengers).

Here's how it went for me (A TOS fanboy):

* First time I watched it: "Dafuq? Why are you farking up the entire ST Universe!!!! GDIAF!!!!11!Eleven!"
* Second time I watched it: "Oh, really? Interesting take. BUT STOP FARKING IT UP!!!"
* Third time: "Hm, I suppose since the timeline changed, it's plausible... But I don't like it."
* Fourth time: "Well, that was a neat way to tie up the loose ends, and start the alternate timeline."

After that, I loved the reboot, as much as TOS, TNG, etc etc. In fact, if they take each of the spin-off shows and do a new series in this alternate timeline, they'd have another 50 years of franchise life.

XE1/N5AL
05-02-2013, 01:31 PM
I have the Netflix Mexico service, so this might be old (or inaccurate) news for you guys: Yesterday, I received a promotional email from Netflix saying they now have the 2009 Star Trek movie for their on-line subscribers!!!

W5BRM
05-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Im off to see Iron Man 3 tonight. ST isnt here yet and my work sched wont allow me to see ST when it comes out. My theater has IM3 at 21:00 tonight which is 3h before the official release date! 3 screens opening at 21:00, 21:02 and 21:05. Both 3d and 2d. Im gonna see the 2d as I already wear glasses and putting on those 3d goggles mess up my eyesight. Cant watch 3d without instigating a massive migraine.

XE1/N5AL
05-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Iron Man 3 has been in the theaters here since last Friday. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'll probably invite a couple of my nephews to go see it. The local theater has Iron Man 3 in "2D", "3D" and something called "Macro 3DXE". Advance purchase adult ticket prices are: $1.56, $2.88 and $3.21 US dollars respectively.

WØTKX
05-03-2013, 02:25 PM
I've been watching (again) Red Dwarf on Amazon Prime.

Smegheads!

K7SGJ
05-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Iron Man 3 has been in the theaters here since last Friday. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'll probably invite a couple of my nephews to go see it. The local theater has Iron Man 3 in "2D", "3D" and something called "Macro 3DXE". Advance purchase adult ticket prices are: $1.56, $2.88 and $3.21 US dollars respectively.

Man, I haven't seem movie prices like that since Saturday morning western roundup with Roy and Dale, followed by Chip and Dale.

WX7P
05-04-2013, 07:03 PM

Do the Mexicanos still whistle and yell a lot during the movies?

I saw Dirty Harry, Poseidon Adventure and Devil's Brigade in Distrito Federal in 1972, and the audience whistled and yelled throughout the movies.

It cost 25 cents to get in. Deal.

K7SGJ
05-04-2013, 10:33 PM
I think you've put your finger on it.

We know what to expect from the rusty senior. Pretty much everything to date has been right out of the comics, almost verbatim. Some small bits of modernization, things aren't being presented in the same order, but really... same old, same old.

The new Star Trek, though... while we know the characters (we THINK we do, at least), it is NOT the same old that the great bird of the galaxy laid out almost 50 years ago. This is an entirely different 'universe'. There is no connection with the original continuity going forward... you might even say that the discontinuity starts as James Tiberius Kirk is born. So: Anything can happen. There are no guarantees.

That said, based on the trailers and ads I've seen so far... why do I have a sneaky hunch that the main villian will be (a completely different) Kahn?

So you think this whole ST thing is just another Kahn job?

XE1/N5AL
05-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Do the Mexicanos still whistle and yell a lot during the movies?

I saw Dirty Harry, Poseidon Adventure and Devil's Brigade in Distrito Federal in 1972, and the audience whistled and yelled throughout the movies.

It cost 25 cents to get in. Deal.
I do remember a lot of yelling once:

With popcorn and drink in hand, I had settled into my chair and the movie had started. Aside from the movie image being a bit malpositioned on the screen, everything seemed fine to me. A few minutes later, as I was beginning to enjoy the show, the audience became impatient and began to shout (mostly funny things) at the projectionist. The movie was in English and all the Spanish subtitles were being completely cut-off by the misdirected projector!

WØTKX
05-05-2013, 01:40 PM

This time, it's Koch.

XE1/N5AL
05-05-2013, 01:52 PM

Has the Enterprise bridge been re-upholstered with rich Corinthian leather?

NQ6U
05-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Has the Enterprise bridge been re-upholstered with rich Corinthian leather?

No, that's the NCC-1702A—The Cordoba