PDA

View Full Version : SpaceShip Two First Powered Flight

N2NH
04-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Another milestone passed for Virgin Galactic's SpaceShip Two.

After a short 16-second burn today, SpaceShipTwo reached a maximum altitude of 56,000 feet (17,000 meters) before flew back to Earth. The trip marked the 26th test flight of the vehicle, and the first "powered flight," which propelled the ship to Mach 1.2, fast enough to beat the speed of sound, which is 761 miles per hour (1224 km/h)...

SpaceShipTwo is a suborbital vehicle, designed to carry space tourists on trips to the edge of space and back for $200,000 a ride. Though these flights wouldn't make a full orbit of the planet, they would provide passengers with a brief experience of weightlessness and a view of Earth from the blackness of space.

The frontier got pushed back a little further...

Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo makes history with1st rocket-powered flight (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57581951/virgin-galactics-spaceshiptwo-makes-history-with1st-rocket-powered-flight/)

NQ6U
04-30-2013, 03:42 PM
How long before they get the warp engines working?

N8GAV
04-30-2013, 04:18 PM

Next week........

K7SGJ
04-30-2013, 04:57 PM
What's the big deal? It's not the first time a virgin went lickity split.

KC2UGV
05-01-2013, 07:00 AM

I'm hazarding within the next couple of decades. They have the theory, now it's time to figure out how to make something to make the theory work.

ki4itv
05-01-2013, 07:10 AM
I'm hazarding within the next couple of decades. They have the theory, now it's time to figure out how to make something to make the theory work.

They keep hitting the energy brick wall. Hope I'm still alive when they finally crack this nut; It'll be an onrush of technological advancement like never before. Worth seeing. :yes:

kb2vxa
05-01-2013, 06:27 PM
They're hitting the energy wall because they're looking at energy in a way that hasn't changed in 150 odd Tesla years. When they find a way to make science fiction science fact, that is looking with new eyes things will happen.

NQ6U
05-01-2013, 06:37 PM
They're hitting the energy wall because they're looking at energy in a way that hasn't changed in 150 odd Tesla years. When they find a way to make science fiction science fact, that is looking with new eyes things will happen.

That, and the fact that, if you believe Einstein's general theory of relativity (which has stood up to every test thrown at it so far), as you approach the speed of light the amount of energy required approaches the infinite. It's going to take a lot more than new eyes to work around that, it's going to take a momentous change in our understanding of the laws governing the universe.

KC2UGV
05-02-2013, 07:16 AM
That, and the fact that, if you believe Einstein's general theory of relativity (which has stood up to every test thrown at it so far), as you approach the speed of light the amount of energy required approaches the infinite. It's going to take a lot more than new eyes to work around that, it's going to take a momentous change in our understanding of the laws governing the universe.

Well, they're down to about a mass the size of V'Ger to make it happen (Theoretically), by changing the shape of the torus, and oscillating the wave's energy function. A POC has taken place in a lab.

The great thing about the Alcubierre drive: It doesn't violate Relativity since everything locally still moves at sub-C speeds. It's the propagation of the space time folding (Which can exceed C) that moves faster, and moves everything in the bubble along with it (While not violating relativity).

NQ6U
05-02-2013, 08:25 AM
The great thing about the Alcubierre drive: It doesn't violate Relativity since everything locally still moves at sub-C speeds. It's the propagation of the space time folding (Which can exceed C) that moves faster, and moves everything in the bubble along with it (While not violating relativity).

The not-so-great thing about the Alcubierre Drive is that it requires the existence of negative mass, something that none of the current standard models of the universe support. That's why I said that it would take a momentous change in our understanding of the laws governing the universe.

K7SGJ
05-02-2013, 08:36 AM
The not-so-great thing about the Alcubierre Drive is that it requires the existence of negative mass, something that none of the current standard models of the universe support. That's why I said that it would take a momentous change in our understanding of the laws governing the universe.

I would think that you, your eminence, above all others, should know about negative mass.

NQ6U
05-02-2013, 08:43 AM
I would think that you, your eminence, above all others, should know about negative mass.

You're thinking about the Black Mass, my Son, but we can't talk about that here.

—Pope Carlo l

n2ize
05-03-2013, 06:49 AM

They won't work if they're warped. Gotta straighten em out first.

w0aew
05-03-2013, 06:59 AM
They won't work if they're warped. Gotta straighten em out first.

Ya can't have warp without a weft.

K7SGJ
05-06-2013, 05:17 PM

or a wright

ki4itv
05-06-2013, 06:23 PM
I find those under a pile all the time.

KC2UGV
05-19-2013, 12:50 AM

Being tested in a lab right now...
http://www.space.com/17628-warp-drive-possible-interstellar-spaceflight.html

NQ6U
05-19-2013, 01:04 AM
Being tested in a lab right now...
http://www.space.com/17628-warp-drive-possible-interstellar-spaceflight.html

Cool, although I'd hardly say an Alcubierre Drive is being tested:

"We're trying to see if we can generate a very tiny instance of this in a tabletop experiment, to try to perturb space-time by one part in 10 million," White said.

Baby steps, of course. I hope it works—this is one instance where I'd love to be proven wrong.

KC2UGV
05-19-2013, 01:12 AM
Cool, although I'd hardly say an Alcubierre Drive is being tested:

Baby steps, of course. I hope it works—this is one instance where I'd love to be proven wrong.

So would I...

VE7DCW
05-19-2013, 01:39 AM

It would depend if they run into any substantial tertiary subspace anomalies! :yes:

NQ6U
05-19-2013, 11:15 AM
It would depend if they run into any substantial tertiary subspace anomalies! :yes:

With our luck, the first alien civilization we run into will be the Borg.

suddenseer
05-19-2013, 07:37 PM
What's the big deal? It's not the first time a virgin went lickity split.Yea, but some of us are back there packing our shit.

K7SGJ
05-19-2013, 08:19 PM
With our luck, the first alien civilization we run into will be the Borg.

I doubt they'd be very impressed.

NQ6U
05-19-2013, 08:27 PM
I doubt they'd be very impressed.

Impressing them would be the least of my concerns. Outrunning them would likely be in the forefront.

K7SGJ
05-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Impressing them would be the least of my concerns. Outrunning them would likely be in the forefront.

You create a diversion while I run.

NQ6U
05-19-2013, 08:34 PM
You create a diversion while I run.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.

[signed] Dick Cheney.

K7SGJ
05-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. We will add you biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.

[signed] Dick Cheney.

Wanna go bird shootin?

[signed] Dick Cheney

VE7DCW
05-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Wanna go bird shootin?

[signed] Dick Cheney

I read that is just as frightening an aspect as would be running into any Borg!!! :nono: