PDA

View Full Version : Linux sub-forum?

W4GPL
04-30-2013, 01:19 PM
I know that we don't get much activity in this forum, but I'd like to change that.

One idea I have (for search engine optimization purposes) is to create a Linux & Open Source subforum and heavily promote it. Linux and ham radio tend to go hand in hand..

We may have to consider creating a usergroup that limits access to just the technical forums, but what do you all think about a push in this direction?

NQ6U
04-30-2013, 01:33 PM
I think it might work if you emphasize an "Linux in Ham Radio" approach. If you try to make it just a generic Linux/Open Source forum, you'd be competing against too many other established sites.

mw0uzo
04-30-2013, 05:48 PM
I would lurk in there! But are there enough linuxy posts to justify a separate subforum?
Are there any resident linux developers that could make it interesting?

W4GPL
04-30-2013, 06:28 PM
Corey and I both work as Linux guys.. So does Ryan, I believe. And no there's not enough Linux traffic to justify it...yet, but the goal would be to change that.

35% of the sites traffic is Linux, excluding me.. So there'd be some interest.

mw0uzo
04-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Corey and I both work as Linux guys.. So does Ryan, I believe. And no there's not enough Linux traffic to justify it...yet, but the goal would be to change that.

35% of the sites traffic is Linux, excluding me.. So there'd be some interest.

That's an interesting stat, usage must be increasing significantly. I have been recommending Linux less recently due to the desktop turmoil. Once wheezy is released and I find a config, perhaps with mate that suits long term usage without breakage then that will change.

KC2UGV
05-02-2013, 07:57 AM
I personally think it's a great idea. And, yes, I think a non-posting, read-only priv for the ham forums for non-hams joining/reading should be done as well, obviously.

Thankfully, it could change the perception of what this forum is, and perhaps even attract hams who do linux (Like Bruce Perens) over here to contribute (Really nice guy, and really willing to help everyone with issues if he has time).

W3WN
05-02-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm for it. Especially once the new guy gets trained, and Ben & I can get back to playing with the Pi...

WN9HJW
05-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Deleted

NM5TF
05-09-2013, 06:23 PM
I would probably lurk in such a Ham Linux - only forum but being a Linux Newb I would not have anything to contribute except what will seem like stupid questions. You know how people dump on new hams when they ask in a forum "how do I build a dipole" or "how do I wire a straight key"? Well, I'd be that guy except asking dumb newbie linux questions.

But I SO want to find a reason to like Linux and make it useful for ham radio.

there are NO dumb questions.....just wise-ass answers....but that's to be expected isn't it???

this IS the Island after all....

biggest reason to "like Linux"???

it's FREE....

it doesn't "break"...unless you break it....

it's NOT from Renton, Washington.....

KC2UGV
05-09-2013, 06:34 PM
I would probably lurk in such a Ham Linux - only forum but being a Linux Newb I would not have anything to contribute except what will seem like stupid questions. You know how people dump on new hams when they ask in a forum "how do I build a dipole" or "how do I wire a straight key"? Well, I'd be that guy except asking dumb newbie linux questions.

But I SO want to find a reason to like Linux and make it useful for ham radio.

The worst you'd get in a Linux forum is "RTFM"...

K7SGJ
05-09-2013, 08:17 PM
The worst you'd get in a Linux forum is "RTFM"...

Return The Fucking Machine?

KC2UGV
05-10-2013, 05:54 AM
Return The Fucking Machine?

Yep, as it's sometimes applicable :)

KK4AMI
05-10-2013, 08:56 AM
I've been trying to get WSPR 2.0 to work on an old IBM T23 laptop using Xubuntu 11.04. Oh well, I was just told by the Ubuntu Gods that my current OS will no longer be supported.

K7SGJ
05-10-2013, 09:38 AM
I've been trying to get WSPR 2.0 to work on an old IBM T23 laptop using Xubuntu 11.04. Oh well, I was just told by the Ubuntu Gods that my current OS will no longer be supported.

Oh, I am just positive you would be pleased with Win 8 on it. Bwwwwaaaaaaa

NQ6U
05-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Oh, I am just positive you would be pleased with Win 8 on it. Bwwwwaaaaaaa

I always recommend Microsoft Bob in this situation.