PDA

View Full Version : Noble Radio

NQ6U
04-28-2013, 03:48 PM
A new U.S. manufacturer of ham radio equipment has announced it's first product, a dual band Multimode (LSB/USB/CW, no FM) VHF transceiver for 6 and 4m. Estimated MSRP is ~$800.

That seems like an odd choice of bands for an American company since US hams have no 4m privileges but I guess they're hoping to do well in the export market while the dollar is still rather weak. The price is not low, so it will be interesting to see how many of the hams that bemoan the demise of US-built equipment will be willing to put their money where their mouth is and buy one.

More info (http://www.southgatearc.org/news/april2013/noble_radio_nr_6n4.htm) at the Southgate ARC web site.

http://www.qsl.net/g/g4tut//images/radios/noble_radio_6n4_6mtr.jpg

Looks a bit cheesy to me, more like a CATV converter than an amateur radio rig but this may be a picture of a pre-production model or prototype.

ON EDIT: All the info I can find on this unit is on European sites, including one in Russia that triggered a "this site may harm your computer" warning from Google.

W3WN
04-28-2013, 05:07 PM
If this is a real company, they don't appear to have a web site... at least not one associated with this name... yet.

I'm also a little suprised that the 'press release' didn't give any indication of who is behind this or where they are located.

Interesting.

Now, that said, presuming this is legit... I can see some logic in adding 4 meters for the export market. It's not a great stretch to go from 6 to 4 meters in terms of the RF design. Clearly a North American flavor might have 4 meters disabled, at least from the factory.

We'll see.

AE1PT
04-28-2013, 05:13 PM
I certainly appreciate the idea--an American company producing ham gear--my estimation is that it fails on two counts.

First, it is indeed ugly. Your estimation that it looks like CATV consumer gear is right on the money. Second, it is far too pricey. If the actual 'sell' is around $400-500, it might have a chance. But 6M is a fairly 'orphaned' band with only a small number of devotees and very fickle behaviors. Certainly not enough to support a domestic market.

Looks like an export radio to me--and at the price point good luck with that.

w0aew
04-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Could it be a chinese rig with just a label added here in the US?

NQ6U
04-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Could it be a chinese rig with just a label added here in the US?

Looks to me more like a mock-up of an artist's conception of some vaporware. I'd have to see one in real life before I'd plunk any cash down on the thing even if I were interested in it at that price, which I'm not.

N8YX
04-28-2013, 06:02 PM
I wish Yaesu would reintroduce the FTM10SR but with the addition of 220MHz, 10M and receive coverage of 26 through 54MHz, AM and FM modes. I would buy five of the things right off the bat.

KB3LAZ
04-29-2013, 05:34 AM
So, round $800 for what would basically be a single band radio? I dont think so.

kb2vxa
04-29-2013, 09:32 AM
800 bucks for a 20W 6M rig with no FM? Nnnnaaaaaaa, like the Indian in the home circumcision joke said "UGH, too much."

AE1PT
04-29-2013, 10:01 AM
800 bucks for a 20W 6M rig with no FM? Nnnnaaaaaaa, like the Indian in the home circumcision joke said "UGH, too much."

20W? I missed that part. Figured it was around 100W or so.

Time to downgrade the price. $200, add AM, FM, and 10M, and sell it to someone who likes ugly jog dials...

PA5COR
04-29-2013, 11:22 AM
My old FT 847 Collins filters will do 6 meters and 70 MHz after i modded it with 100 watts.
TH FT 2000-D does 6 meters with 225 watts...Don't see a real need for it, i can cheaper build a transcverter for 70 MHz running 100 watts all mode with all parts i have here.

KB3LAZ
04-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Most HF radios come with 6m these days. Entry level rigs with 6m have similar price points too. I just cant see it selling well.

NQ6U
04-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Most HF radios come with 6m these days. Entry level rigs with 6m have similar price points too. I just cant see it selling well.

Good point. I just checked—HRO is selling the FT-450D $939.95 and there's a $100 rebate available from Yaesu, which drops the price down to only forty bucks more than this dual band rig. Which radio would you choose? That's a no-brainer.

XE1/N5AL
04-29-2013, 04:16 PM
Their "official" website: http://www.nobleradio.eu/

KC2UGV
04-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Their "official" website: http://www.nobleradio.eu/

So much for the "Made in the USA"...

W3WN
04-30-2013, 07:27 AM
Well, at least it has a big knob...

But it looks like there's a DirecTV or Verizon FiOS box remote control that's missing it's directional controls...

No picture of the back panel or underneath, and no indications in the specs, as to where it actually is being made. Or at least where final assembly is.

I just can't see a single band rig (for the North American market, at least) at that power level & at the cost succeeding.