PDA

View Full Version : What is the worst job you have to do in the house?

KK4AMI
04-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Normally, I would have said toilet scrubbing, but I just had to scrub and scour our stupid propane grill for the spring. Besides busting and abrading my knuckles, I'm covered from head to toe with little black grease spots. I look like a 1/2 gallon of Hersey's Cookies and Cream ice cream.

N2CHX
04-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Cat litter box. With four cats in the house I spend at least 10 minutes a day cleaning it. Second would be bathrooms.

PA5COR
04-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Cleaning the oven, stuck cheese and other stuff anywhere that needs scrubbing sharp knife to get rid off.
Since do aall chores in the house i can pick any one of them but the oven cleaning takes the cake...

KK4AMI
04-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Cleaning the oven, stuck cheese and other stuff anywhere that needs scrubbing sharp knife to get rid off.
Since do aall chores in the house i can pick any one of them but the oven cleaning takes the cake...

You guys don't have self cleaning ovens? A little oven cleaner spray, then kick the oven up to +500 degrees F and everything is a little pile of cinders to be wiped up at the bottom of the oven.

OK Kelli, you might have me with the cat Litter box, but I never had cats. I do have to clean up the dog poo from the yard before mowing. That is just to keep the ol' joke about "Who flung Poo!" from becoming reality. The wife hates it when she finds dog excrement in places it shouldn't be.

PA5COR
04-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Old oven, but one that works very nice, hate it to use chemicals in cooking ware, so i do it the hard way with scalding hot water, wirebrush, etc.
Takes 10 minutes to do.

WØTKX
04-26-2013, 01:47 PM
As much as I love the stuff...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2013/02/09/National-Enterprise/Images/Northeast_Snow_00dc4.jpg

NA4BH
04-26-2013, 01:56 PM
An autopsy on an 800 pound hog that had been out in the August sun for 5 days. It was like popping the Hindenburg, only with smell. Oh, shit that was terrible.

KK4AMI
04-26-2013, 02:22 PM
An autopsy on an 800 pound hog that had been out in the August sun for 5 days. It was like popping the Hindenburg, only with smell. Oh, shit that was terrible.

OK Quincy. You win, end of discussion. But why??? Even us rednecks in Virginia know to grab roadkill within a day so it still tastes good.

N2NH
04-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Killing a few brown recluse spiders in a house in Florida. The smallest was about 8" across.

NA4BH
04-26-2013, 02:42 PM
OK Quincy. You win, end of discussion. But why??? Even us rednecks in Virginia know to grab roadkill within a day so it still tastes good.

The farmer wanted to know what killed him. Diagnosis: He quit breathing, too far gone to tell anything.

WØTKX
04-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Well, actually... the hog and the snow were outside. So... 'prolly the kitty litter.

K7SGJ
04-26-2013, 02:49 PM
Patching a crack in the bottom of the septic tank while it was 1/2 full.

KK4AMI
04-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Patching a crack in the bottom of the septic tank while it was 1/2 full.

Gawd, how did you do that? With snorkel and flippers? How did you know it was cracked? How long before the wife was willing to sleep in the same room? :doh:

NA4BH
04-26-2013, 03:22 PM
It wasn't that bad, all you can eat.

wa6mhz
04-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Writing all the checks for the mountain of BILLS is the worst I have to do. The good NUN has litterbox duty every morning. She is numb to it now, not a problem. If she can change the Grandbaby's full DIAPER, the litterbox is a SNAP!

I would need a HAZMAT SUIT and breathing apparatus before I could ever change a diaper!

N2RJ
04-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Cat litter box. With four cats in the house I spend at least 10 minutes a day cleaning it. Second would be bathrooms.

That's about the easiest thing we have to do. We have a rolling litter box. Just close it up, roll it and the shit ends up in a removable tray. No mess and easy.

The worst I have to do is remove a rotting deer carcass from the back lawn.

N2RJ
04-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Rolling litter box:

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Paw-Self-Cleaning-Litter-Pewter/dp/B005E2S77C

Not expensive and easy to clean.

NQ6U
04-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Rolling litter box:

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Paw-Self-Cleaning-Litter-Pewter/dp/B005E2S77C

Not expensive and easy to clean.

Looks great. I'm gonna get one.

K7SGJ
04-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Gawd, how did you do that? With snorkel and flippers? How did you know it was cracked? How long before the wife was willing to sleep in the same room? :doh:

That IS her room.

n2ize
04-26-2013, 07:01 PM
You guys don't have self cleaning ovens? A little oven cleaner spray, then kick the oven up to +500 degrees F and everything is a little pile of cinders to be wiped up at the bottom of the oven.

Our gas over has a self clean function. Basically it heatsd up to a very high temp and burns away the baked on crap to ash. But one problem. The self clean cycle is very hard on the glowbar igniters. Twice I had to change them after running the clean cycle.

n6hcm
04-28-2013, 01:41 AM
litterbox. four cats--three litterboxes.

WX7P
04-28-2013, 09:03 AM
Cat box when Sarah's not here or doesn't want to do it.

I can't wait for these little California Cat pansies to get their butts outside, so we don't have to deal with the box.

N8YX
04-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Fresh Scoop or similar clumping litter is a lifesaver.

This isn't a dirty job but just a long, drawn-out one:

Winterizing our two cruiser motorcycles then breaking them out come spring.

Winterization involves filling the gas tank at the nearby station, adding fuel stabilizer...run home, change oil and filter, remove plug valences (or radiator cover pods) and plugs then squirt oil down holes...crank engine to lube cylinder walls, replace plugs, remove battery, drain carbs, remove then wipe every square inch of chrome and raw metal with a protectant such as WD-40, Spray Lube (CRC-556) or similar product. This assumes the bike has been freshly washed prior to beginning the procedure.

The above takes 3 hours per bike. Cut that down to 2 if 'DSG helps.

Spring prep involves removing each plug, checking the gap and cleaning then reinstalling. Engine degreaser is wiped on every surface which was coated with the protectant. This is hosed off, then the surfaces are sprayed with S-100 cleaner. It is hosed off, then the entire bike is washed. Next, wax is applied to every chromed, polished and painted surface. After the wax dries it's buffed off then the carb drain screws closed and the carbs are vacuum-primed. Valences or radiator pods reinstalled followed by the saddlebags and finally, the battery. Bike is started up and idled for 20min to burn off the protectant oil which coated the cylinder walls. Tire inflation and overall condition of lights, controls and fasteners is checked.

Total time for the procedure can take from 2 to 3 days. I'm already 5h into it with 'DSG's Tourer and have yet to apply the wax.

KK4AMI
04-28-2013, 10:02 AM
OK, cat box wins out! It is ironic, as advanced as we supposedly are, we still spend a lot of time cleaning up poop in our lives.

KK4AMI
04-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Fresh Scoop or similar clumping litter is a lifesaver.

This isn't a dirty job but just a long, drawn-out one:

Winterizing our two cruiser motorcycles then breaking them out come spring.

Winterization involves filling the gas tank at the nearby station, adding fuel stabilizer...run home, change oil and filter, remove plug valences (or radiator cover pods) and plugs then squirt oil down holes...crank engine to lube cylinder walls, replace plugs, remove battery, drain carbs, remove then wipe every square inch of chrome and raw metal with a protectant such as WD-40, Spray Lube (CRC-556) or similar product. This assumes the bike has been freshly washed prior to beginning the procedure.

The above takes 3 hours per bike. Cut that down to 2 if 'DSG helps.

Spring prep involves removing each plug, checking the gap and cleaning then reinstalling. Engine degreaser is wiped on every surface which was coated with the protectant. This is hosed off, then the surfaces are sprayed with S-100 cleaner. It is hosed off, then the entire bike is washed. Next, wax is applied to every chromed, polished and painted surface. After the wax dries it's buffed off then the carb drain screws closed and the carbs are vacuum-primed. Valences or radiator pods reinstalled followed by the saddlebags and finally, the battery. Bike is started up and idled for 20min to burn off the protectant oil which coated the cylinder walls. Tire inflation and overall condition of lights, controls and fasteners is checked.

Total time for the procedure can take from 2 to 3 days. I'm already 5h into it with 'DSG's Tourer and have yet to apply the wax.

Aww come on. That is supposed to be a labor of love. I gotta do that with the boat every year. I'll bet your two cruisers don't have a bilge and a waste tank to clean up either! :doh:

WØTKX
04-28-2013, 11:32 AM
The Omega Paw is a good device, I want/need to reverse engineer the grating system on the bottom. The large size is a little small for Milhous the Maine Coon. He's such a boy, he needs to stand up and pee. Made a home made box that is huge, and he's very happy. Also, with two cats, one extra box is a good idea, so we have three. Jaxon Galaxy approves of this message. ;)

http://www.naturalcatcareblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Real-Men.jpg

n2ize
04-28-2013, 07:30 PM
Killing a few brown recluse spiders in a house in Florida. The smallest was about 8" across.

8 inches across ??? Huh ??? That is nearly a foot. If the smallest of those spiders were 8 inches across then they were most likely NOT brown recluse spiders, the largest of which on record is nowhere near 8 inches in size.. As that size they must have been either Giant "bird eater" tarantulas, or Giant hunstman spiders. The former is native to the South American rain forests and the latter being found in Southest Asia and parts of the Middle East. Could be they got transported to the USA either by accident or deliberately.

kb2vxa
04-29-2013, 10:55 AM
What's with all this fuss over cats and litter boxes? Two cats, one box, one slotted spoon, ordinary clay litter (aka Speedy Dry) and with the box next to the toilet, cleaning twice a day was never a problem.

Spiders, beware the venomous brown recluse hiding in your clothes and shoes, play like the Army in North Africa and shake them out before you put them on. Give a good shake, spiders are harder to dislodge than scorpions. Well, one good thing, they're easily identified by their unique eye arrangement and another unusual trait, webs are rudimentary and they go out at night to hunt and not native to Florida. The huntsman is the Australian tarantula more or less, there for a while Bob VK6BE had a pet in his shack. As you can see they're pretty big while the recluse is rather small, between 1/4" and 3/4".