PDA

View Full Version : QRZ and education through bloviation.

ki4itv
06-01-2008, 09:43 AM
I find myself becoming annoyed by a certain QRZed educational technique employed by a somewhat small, yet very vocal group of hams on that site.

There are two distinct versions of this type of behavior, mostly based on whether it is a question posted in "Q&A" or a new hams thrilling accomplishment posted to "Talk & Opinions".

Q&A- One of our amateur radio brethren ask a simple or direct question to the forum.
*The answer to this question starts off with Elmer ham(s) going through a two (or more) paragraph autobiography of accomplishments, former employers, the FCC office where they took their exams, possibly some outright embellishments, and then miraculously segways into the three sentences that actually answer the question.

T&O- An excited new (or seasoned) ham post to the forum about a new country, state, mode, a surprise band opening, or some similar "accomplishment" that we all enjoy going through. (OK admittedly, I am NOT talking about KWW here)
*The answer to this question starts off with same ol' Elmer ham(s) going through a two (or more) paragraph autobiography of accomplishments, former employers, the FCC office where they took their exams, possibly some outright embellishments, and then miraculously segways
into a mild congratulatory response cautiously qualified by the fact that they did it better, but faster, with lower power, and how he hasn't seen anything yet. Often just falling short of saying they have DXCC, WAZ, WAS, including WTF, on every and all possible rig/antenna combinations in their quiver.

I can't be the only one annoyed by this? I'm sure there are other stereotypes that can be formed by posters in the other forums... but, I usually stay away from the ragspew and politics forums these days.
While I find most of the information useful and have learned a lot from cruising the Zed forums...Why all the puffery bloviation?

Thanks for letting me get all of that out. HA!

edit- Hey, nobody asked me what the Hellschreiber is the "FFC" is...this place is different! hehe.

K1OU
06-01-2008, 09:57 AM
WB2WIK should be able to explain it for you... :lol:

N9FE
06-01-2008, 10:48 AM
The pocket protector boy's brigade. Sift through 30 posts to get the answer to your question.

N2NH
06-01-2008, 12:03 PM
IF you can recognize it as the answer after sifting through all the crud.

N2RJ
06-01-2008, 05:54 PM
You're just jealous you didn't work for TXU (electric company for about half the state of Texas).

kb2vxa
06-01-2008, 06:56 PM
You really think that's something special? Ya ain't seen nuttin yet, not until you ask a question on http://www.radioreference.com a scanner site. There they have two extremes; bloviation and non answers but then again most of the questions are in the extreme; so simple a caveman can do it and so vague it's not even a question. They never heard of KISS and think it's a bunch of loud guitars and grease paint. When I'm not explaining how to make a ground plane I mostly stick to the "wasteland" which is rather like the garbage dump at the far end of the Island.

Heh, I'd post some bastardized Who lyrics about teh zed here but it's too darn hot to get flamed. :dance

n6hcm
06-01-2008, 06:57 PM
*The answer to this question starts off with Elmer ham(s) going through a two (or more) paragraph autobiography of accomplishments, former employers, the FFC office where they took their exams, possibly some outright embellishments, and then miraculously segways into the three sentences that actually answer the question.

and then the answer to the question is "no" and you had to endure all that crap just to get to the answer.

but they usually lose me one sentence into the autobio ...

ki4itv
06-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Heh, I'd post some bastardized Who lyrics about teh zed here but it's too darn hot to get flamed. :dance

That's OK, I conjured one up. :idea:
===============

"The QRZed Hambillies"

Come and listen to a story about the QRZed
A poor ole reflector, barely kept in check by Phred,
Then one day he was coverin' for a fool,
And up through the text came a bubblin crude.

Soiled that is, black gold, stinky and free.

Well the first thing you know ol Phred puts out a dare,
Some folks said "Phred, we don't really care"
Said "Alpha Holtel is the place we ought to be"
So we loaded WTF and we moved to where we're free.

Alpha Hotel, that is. Swimmin pools, and small red cars.

The QRZed Hambillies!

Well now its time to say goodbye to Phred and all his kin.
And they'd like to cuss you folks fer pointing out their sins.
You'll never be invited back to that locality
To have a heapin helpin of those whiney cry-babies

Hambillies that is. What's that smell? Turn the monitor off!

Y'all link back now, y'hear?.

W7XF
06-02-2008, 01:44 AM
I LOVE IT!!!!

N9FE
06-02-2008, 07:32 AM
PUUUURFECT... Swimmin pools and nut jobs

ad4mg
06-02-2008, 08:38 AM

That's OK, I conjured one up. :idea:
===============

"The QRZed Hambillies"

Come and listen to a story about the QRZed
A poor ole reflector, barely kept in check by Phred,
Then one day he was coverin' for a fool,
And up through the text came a bubblin crude.

Soiled that is, black gold, stinky and free.

Well the first thing you know ol Phred puts out a dare,
Some folks said "Phred, we don't really care"
Said "Alpha Holtel is the place we ought to be"
So we loaded WTF and we moved to where we're free.

Alpha Hotel, that is. Swimmin pools, and small red cars.

The QRZed Hambillies!

Well now its time to say goodbye to Phred and all his kin.
And they'd like to cuss you folks fer pointing out their sins.
You'll never be invited back to that locality
To have a heapin helpin of those whiney cry-babies

Hambillies that is. What's that smell? Turn the monitor off!

Y'all link back now, y'hear?.

Excellent!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (4 green smileys - just like Jethro)

kb2vxa
06-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Smithers, release the hounds. :dance

KØWVM
06-08-2008, 11:45 PM
I find myself becoming annoyed by a certain QRZed educational technique employed by a somewhat small, yet very vocal group of hams on that site.

There are two distinct versions of this type of behavior, mostly based on whether it is a question posted in "Q&A" or a new hams thrilling accomplishment posted to "Talk & Opinions".

Q&A- One of our amateur radio brethren ask a simple or direct question to the forum.
*The answer to this question starts off with Elmer ham(s) going through a two (or more) paragraph autobiography of accomplishments, former employers, the FCC office where they took their exams, possibly some outright embellishments, and then miraculously segways into the three sentences that actually answer the question.

T&O- An excited new (or seasoned) ham post to the forum about a new country, state, mode, a surprise band opening, or some similar "accomplishment" that we all enjoy going through. (OK admittedly, I am NOT talking about KWW here)
*The answer to this question starts off with same ol' Elmer ham(s) going through a two (or more) paragraph autobiography of accomplishments, former employers, the FCC office where they took their exams, possibly some outright embellishments, and then miraculously segways
into a mild congratulatory response cautiously qualified by the fact that they did it better, but faster, with lower power, and how he hasn't seen anything yet. Often just falling short of saying they have DXCC, WAZ, WAS, including WTF, on every and all possible rig/antenna combinations in their quiver.

I can't be the only one annoyed by this? I'm sure there are other stereotypes that can be formed by posters in the other forums... but, I usually stay away from the ragspew and politics forums these days.
While I find most of the information useful and have learned a lot from cruising the Zed forums...Why all the puffery bloviation?

Thanks for letting me get all of that out. HA!

edit- Hey, nobody asked me what the Hellschreiber is the "FFC" is...this place is different! hehe.

I went back to look at a few threads in both areas and by golly you are quite right. Anyone that was a kid in the early 80's remember The Smurfs when Brainy Smurf would start getting on his soap box and then subsequently tossed because they didn't want to hear him? That's what I think of...

kb2crk
10-09-2010, 02:23 PM
old thread but still hits the mark.

ki4itv
10-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Yea, I pulled it up as an amendment to another thread and it really didn't fit well...
But, you're right. The shoe still fits.
:yes:

ad4mg
10-09-2010, 02:49 PM
old thread but still hits the mark.
Isn't this where the bad-assed super duper administrator steps in and locks the thread, declaring it old and unworthy?

oops ... wrong site :oops:

NQ6U
10-09-2010, 02:53 PM
I didn't see this thread the first time around but it's spot-on. And it doesn't apply just to The Zed either, almost every other technically-oriented site on the Web is the same way. Slashdot (http://slashdot.org) is the worst; I'd never ask a question there.

kb2crk
10-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Isn't this where the bad-assed super duper administrator steps in and locks the thread, declaring it old and unworthy?

you forgot about my weeks bannation too........lmao

ki4itv
10-09-2010, 03:11 PM

That too.
One should never flaunt the shortcomings of the nearsighted directly in their face. It give's them migraines.

N7RJD
10-09-2010, 03:20 PM
I didn't see this thread the first time around but it's spot-on. And it doesn't apply just to The Zed either, almost every other technically-oriented site on the Web is the same way. Slashdot (http://slashdot.org) is the worst; I'd never ask a question there.

Slashdot may be the worst as far as that goes but given the frequency that Sue quotes from them at least we know they are not vermin.

N7RJD
10-09-2010, 03:21 PM
That too.
One should never flaunt the shortcomings of the nearsighted directly in their face. It give's them migraines.

Gives them migraines? I'll have to be sure to do it more often now.

ki4itv
10-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Gives them migraines? I'll have to be sure to do it more often now.

Well, you're.... naah.... (ahem) we're all welcome.:lol:

ad4mg
10-09-2010, 03:59 PM

And fractal points ... you get fractal points too for displaying a pattern of uncooperative behavior. :hyper:

ki4itv
10-09-2010, 04:11 PM
And fractal points ... you get fractal points too for displaying a pattern of uncooperative behavior. :hyper:

+1000 intertubes for practical use of visual and mental acuity.
It was beautiful.:lol:

KA5PIU
10-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Hello.

Weeks banning? how about trying 2+ years!
Act like a Democrat and actually get on the air and understand how radio works, that will do it every time.

KG4CGC
10-09-2010, 04:19 PM
You don't have banned attached to your callsign over at QRZ, Rudy.

kb2crk
10-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Hello.

Weeks banning? how about trying 2+ years!
Act like a Democrat and actually get on the air and understand how radio works, that will do it every time.

rudy
it is a one week ban for bringing up old PVL coax screwing threads, first offense. i was told if i did it again it would be 6 months.... lmmfao. i think i have done worse that that to the hermaphodite and gotten of scott free....

ki4itv
10-09-2010, 04:53 PM
rudy
it is a one week ban for bringing up old PVL coax screwing threads, first offense. i was told if i did it again it would be 6 months.... lmmfao. i think i have done worse that that to the hermaphodite and gotten of scott free....

Dyed in the wool Red-blooded, digital god Mercun vs. hermaphomudgeon is no contest in the grand scheme of QRZealotry.
You got off on a confusion based technicality with Sue.

ki4itv
10-09-2010, 05:03 PM
OK, now I'm getting a little ugly... going to go play some music and mellow out for a while.

kb2crk
10-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Dyed in the wool Red-blooded, digital god Mercun vs. hermaphomudgeon is no contest in the grand scheme of QRZealotry.
You got off on a confusion based technicality with Sue.

as stated in blazing saddles:
these are people of the land
you know,,,,,, morons

and who the hell is mercun?

W5RB
10-09-2010, 06:34 PM

Brilliant wordcraft .

ad4mg
10-09-2010, 07:06 PM

+1000 intertubes for practical use of visual and mental acuity.
It was beautiful.:lol:

Brilliant wordcraft .
It was one of those rare moments, an epiphany, if you will ... :lol:

W4RLR
10-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Using the word "segway" versus the word "segue" really brought up a different mind picture, like fat, stinky hams riding on gyroscopically balanced stand-up scooters instead of their usual Daytonmobiles...

Though I used to live for accomplishing a perfect segue when I was a radio announcer doing combo ops.

N7RJD
10-09-2010, 08:11 PM
QRZ and education through bloviation.

Isn't that french or something for pompous windbaggery?

NQ6U
10-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Isn't that french or something for pompous windbaggery?

Right about the pompous windbaggery but it's good ol' English, coined by President Warren G. Harding himself.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bloviate

KG4CGC
10-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Using the word "segway" versus the word "segue" really brought up a different mind picture, like fat, stinky hams riding on gyroscopically balanced stand-up scooters instead of their usual Daytonmobiles...

Though I used to live for accomplishing a perfect segue when I was a radio announcer doing combo ops.
Stand up scooter ... Hmmm. Nope. No see hams on SU Scooter. Maybe Dayton?

ki4itv
10-09-2010, 08:45 PM
and who the hell is mercun?
The absolute lowest form of the free, and the fewest possible syllables necessary to emulate the sound, American. An apparently ineffective adjective used to further describe Chuckles.
I failed. As an artisan, we must accept failure as the possible cost of making a beautiful point. Ugly or not, words are my worst medium.

ki4itv
10-09-2010, 09:08 PM

Please refer to above post for poetic license. Then check to make sure you're not falling into the curmudgeon trap. ;)

Damn, I did it again... call it a foul mood, or whatever, I apolize.

kb2crk
10-09-2010, 09:11 PM
The absolute lowest form of the free, and the fewest possible syllables necessary to emulate the sound, American. An apparently ineffective adjective used to further describe Chuckles.
I failed. As an artisan, we must accept failure as the possible cost of making a beautiful point. Ugly or not, words are my worst medium.

merican would have done it. but i have lost some of my fine yankee edjumacation after living in the south so long.

NQ6U
10-09-2010, 09:34 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I got it.

ki4itv
10-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks, I was damn near a total wreck. Cheap beer and mesquite smoke makes me an emotional basket case every time.

KA5PIU
10-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Hello.

Segway and Dayton? not going to happen.
Several police departments, including Austin, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio have tried them.
It turns out that they are not RF immune.
I have keyed up with my talkie near the base and the thing went nuts!.
Point a yagi at one from 300 feet and you get the same effect.
Remember that this is a Talkie, can you imagine a more powerful transmitter?

W4RLR
10-11-2010, 03:48 AM
Please refer to above post for poetic license. Then check to make sure you're not falling into the curmudgeon trap. ;)

Damn, I did it again... call it a foul mood, or whatever, I apolize.Nah, I'm not the spelling police, honest. I just found the inadvertent word choice amusing.

If you only knew what one went through in DINFOS (a.k.a. Military Journalism and Famous Announcer's School) for the crime of incorrect word use or spelling.....

W4RLR
10-11-2010, 03:49 AM
Thanks, I was damn near a total wreck. Cheap beer and mesquite smoke makes me an emotional basket case every time.BRISKET!!!