PDA

View Full Version : Our Spring Concert

n2ize
04-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Here are some pictures of me and my orchestra playing our spring concert this past Sunday April 14th.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.465194176884544.1073741827.220835127987118&type=1

And, for those wondering what I look like, here is a picture of me performing on violin this past Sunday.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/540721_465195126884449_1461298284_n.jpg

NA4BH
04-17-2013, 01:57 PM
You preserved the Beatles wig pretty good. :rofl:

What did you play at the concert?

n2ize
04-17-2013, 02:11 PM
You preserved the Beatles wig pretty good. :rofl:

LOL :)

What did you play at the concert?

Here is what we played in concert order

1) Shostakovich "Waltz # 2"
2) Mozart "Symphony # 50, mov't 1"
3) Jay Ungar "Ashokan Farewell"
4) Beethoven "Symphony # 7, mov't 2"
5) Aaron Copland "Old American Classics / At the River".
6) Mozart " Magic Flute Overture"
7) Maurice Ravel "Mother Goose Suite"
8) Handel "Hallelujah" In which we encouraged audience members to sing along if they wished. Quite a number of them did.

HUGH
04-17-2013, 03:49 PM
You have a good number of charismatic musicians in the orchestra, nice photos!

n2ize
04-17-2013, 05:00 PM
You have a good number of charismatic musicians in the orchestra, nice photos!

Thanks for your kind words. . One of the best things I have done in years is to have joined this orchestra. As you point out they are a very charismatic group. They are a great bunch of people to work with and I absolutely love performing with them. I look forward to every rehearsal or gig. Our conductor is also a very robust and charismatic person and is a great inspiration to the orchestra as a whole. Much of the music we play is quite challenging , often quite difficult, yet very gratifying when we play it and make it sound great,

I'll try and post some links to a couple video clips of the concert as soon as they become available.

suddenseer
04-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Good deal! I wish that I could have been there to enjoy the concert. I like anything Shostakovich. Now I have an idea of what a tabaccky chawin fiddle player looks like. Good looking collection of musicians. Your conductor is a hottie as well. :clap:

WX7P
04-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Here are some pictures of me and my orchestra playing our spring concert this past Sunday April 14th.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.465194176884544.1073741827.220835127987118&type=1

And, for those wondering what I look like, here is a picture of me performing on violin this past Sunday.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/540721_465195126884449_1461298284_n.jpg

Wow, that looks like a 3/4 size violin. Either that or you're a big guy.

Glad to hear your concert went well. I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing the clips.

I'd like to find a group like that here in Corn land. I played in the world famous (!) Fremont Philharmonic (which has turned into a legit group these days-the Fremont Symphony) and the University of California Symphony back in the 70's. I've done a few musicals since then, all when we lived in Santa Rosa, CA. If have the opportunity, do a musical, something light like The Music Man or Will Rogers Follies. Playing in the pit is a lot of fun.

I just bought some strings for my violin and of course the e-string promptly snapped. I'm actually going to go get another one tomorrow.

Sarah has been after me to play regularly again, so I just need to find a group. I don't have access to a tuba anymore and I sold my trombones, so it'll have to be the violin if I want to play.

K7SGJ
04-17-2013, 07:45 PM
LOL :)

Here is what we played in concert order

1) Shostakovich "Waltz # 2"
2) Mozart "Symphony # 50, mov't 1"
3) Jay Ungar "Ashokan Farewell"
4) Beethoven "Symphony # 7, mov't 2"
5) Aaron Copland "Old American Classics / At the River".
6) Mozart " Magic Flute Overture"
7) Maurice Ravel "Mother Goose Suite"
8) Handel "Hallelujah" In which we encouraged audience members to sing along if they wished. Quite a number of them did.

What? No Fire On The Mountain, or Orange Blossom Special? And you call that a concert? Bah. I scoff and say Bah.

NQ6U
04-17-2013, 07:58 PM
What? No Fire On The Mountain, or Orange Blossom Special? And you call that a concert? Bah. I scoff and say Bah.

John rocks on Inna Gadda Davida.

K7SGJ
04-17-2013, 07:59 PM
John rocks on Inna Gadda Davida.

Long or short version?

NA4BH
04-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Looking at that hair a little harder, Is that a Sonny Bono wig?

K7SGJ
04-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Looking at that hair a little harder, Is that a Sonny Bono wig?

I don't think so. There is no tree bark on it.

n2ize
04-17-2013, 09:24 PM

And a correction on the first Mozart. That should read Symphony # 40, mov't 1 not # 50.

NQ6U
04-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Long or short version?

Both. At the same time.

By the way, the XYL—a professional hair expert—says "That's great hair. Don't make fun of it."

K7SGJ
04-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Both. At the same time.

By the way, the XYL—a professional hair expert—says "That's great hair. Don't make fun of it."

Not possible. If he's like the rest of us old farts, he couldn't get through the long version without a piss break.

n2ize
04-17-2013, 09:52 PM

It's a full size violin and yeah, I am still pretty big. But not nearly as big as I was a few months ago. For a while I was turning into a whale. In January I started loosing weight rapidly and I am continuing to shed the load.Not only do I look better, feel lighter on my feet and much more energetic but I feel better in general these days.

Glad to hear your concert went well. I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing the clips.

We had a rehearsal tonight and I was speaking with the conductor. He had video of the entire gig and he plans to put them up online soon. I'll post a few when they become available.

I'd like to find a group like that here in Corn land. I played in the world famous (!) Fremont Philharmonic (which has turned into a legit group these days-the Fremont Symphony) and the University of California Symphony back in the 70's. I've done a few musicals since then, all when we lived in Santa Rosa, CA.

Sounds great. I believe you said you are in Illinois now ? How far from Chicago ? I would imagine they might have some groups in and around the Chicago and surrounding areas.

If have the opportunity, do a musical, something light like The Music Man or Will Rogers Follies. Playing in the pit is a lot of fun.

Sounds like fun. Actually I joined this group back in the summer (In July 2012 I think). It was the first time I was in an orchestra since I was about 10. In other words my orchestral experience was nil. My first several rehearsals I was completely lost and I even entertained thoughts of quitting. But I've learned a lot about playing in an orchestra since then and it all started to kick in and make sense. Initially I joined because I wanted to do something beyond just playing solo at home. I am glad I did. My playing and technique has also improved significantly. Plus it's a great change of pace from the day to day routine.

I just bought some strings for my violin and of course the e-string promptly snapped. I'm actually going to go get another one tomorrow.

What brand strings are they ? For the past year or so I've been using Pirastro "Tonica's" (synthetic core) and never had one break on me yet. Of course most E strings are all steel but never had a Pirastro E snap on me. I usually swap them for new ones after a several months to a half year of regular playing and keep the old ones as spares should a string break at a rehearsal or at a gig.

Sarah has been after me to play regularly again, so I just need to find a group. I don't have access to a tuba anymore and I sold my trombones, so it'll have to be the violin if I want to play.

I would say definitely go for it. It's definitely worth it. Sounds like you already have a lot of good experience. Hopefully you can find a group. If not a full orchestra them maybe a string or chamber ensemble. Good luck with it.

n2ize
04-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Both. At the same time.

I can play continuously for a long time. So as far as time goes long version would be a piece of cake, assuming I could manage it on a violin. :).

Tell her I said thanks. Usually I keep it much shorter but I decided since I am playing music I'll let it go longer so I look like some sort of eccentric avant garde hippie musician/artist. :lol:

X-Rated
04-18-2013, 07:55 PM
I applaud you, John. I hope there is some access to the performances online for those of us not fortunate to live there.

N8OBM
05-04-2013, 01:04 PM

It's the hands that make the violin look small. Take a look at Itzhak Perlman playing. Itzak was a guest soloist with an orchestra that my wife played with. She couldn't get over just how big his hands were compared to the instrument. You would think that big hands and a small instrument would be trouble......

It's also partly that the photo looks like it was taken with a telephoto lens. Wide angle increases depth and telephoto compresses space. It makes the bow look shorter that it really is. It's very common to use a mild telephoto for portraits.

Remember too, that I'm not all that far from you and I do live recording if you don't have someone that does. I used to do quite a bit of classical live recording back home in Ann Arbor.

Archie N8OBM

N8OBM
05-04-2013, 01:23 PM

If I had a dollar for every time I've played fire in the mountain, I could buy a new rig!

Archie N8OBM

K7SGJ
05-04-2013, 02:58 PM
If I had a dollar for every time I've played fire in the mountain, I could buy a new rig!

Archie N8OBM

And Rocky Top, no doubt.

n2ize
05-16-2013, 01:57 PM
It's the hands that make the violin look small. Take a look at Itzhak Perlman playing. Itzak was a guest soloist with an orchestra that my wife played with. She couldn't get over just how big his hands were compared to the instrument. You would think that big hands and a small instrument would be trouble......

It's also partly that the photo looks like it was taken with a telephoto lens. Wide angle increases depth and telephoto compresses space. It makes the bow look shorter that it really is. It's very common to use a mild telephoto for portraits.

Remember too, that I'm not all that far from you and I do live recording if you don't have someone that does. I used to do quite a bit of classical live recording back home in Ann Arbor.

Archie N8OBM

A lot of people envision or have the impression that good violin players must be either small with small hands and narrow small fingers, or, to be tall and thin with long thin bony fingers (such as with the great Paganini). .. But yet I have seen/heard some incredible players with large hands, short thick fingers ,etc. One guy I knew was a weightlifter, very large developed arms, heavy fingers, yet he was an awesome good player.

Thanks, In the future I might want to record myself doing some solo work when I have some spare time.

In the meantime I'll be playing another concert this Sunday. It's a small concert at a local venue and I noticed they added "God Bless America" to the end of our repertoire. Guess because the concert is close to Memorial Day. Otherwise we'll basically be playing the same stuff we did last concert with the addition of Elgar's Enigma (variations), Strauss, and Ravel.

N8OBM
05-16-2013, 07:02 PM
A lot of people envision or have the impression that good violin players must be either small with small hands and narrow small fingers, or, to be tall and thin with long thin bony fingers (such as with the great Paganini). .. But yet I have seen/heard some incredible players with large hands, short thick fingers ,etc. One guy I knew was a weightlifter, very large developed arms, heavy fingers, yet he was an awesome good player.

Thanks, In the future I might want to record myself doing some solo work when I have some spare time.

In the meantime I'll be playing another concert this Sunday. It's a small concert at a local venue and I noticed they added "God Bless America" to the end of our repertoire. Guess because the concert is close to Memorial Day. Otherwise we'll basically be playing the same stuff we did last concert with the addition of Elgar's Enigma (variations), Strauss, and Ravel.

Ravel. The mad Swiss watchmaker of composers. I really like Ravel but some of his stuff is just plain twisted. I had two friends that were very gifted pianists that were trying to coach each other through Scarbo. That is one evil piece of music to play.......

Good luck with your performance

Or break a leg if you prefer.

Keep me posted if you want to record

Archie N8OBM

n2ize
05-17-2013, 03:24 AM
Ravel. The mad Swiss watchmaker of composers. I really like Ravel but some of his stuff is just plain twisted. I had two friends that were very gifted pianists that were trying to coach each other through Scarbo. That is one evil piece of music to play.......

As our conductor would say, "that's what makes Ravel so great ".. :)

Thanks. Breaking a leg, better than breaking a string. :)

Archie N8OBM

Thanks, will do. Like I said I might be interested in recording some solo stuff some time in the near future. Nothing too fancy. Just a few relatively simple pieces that I can play solo and still sound halfway decent on.

K7SGJ
05-17-2013, 09:05 AM

Archie N8OBM

I was always fond of Ravel's Bolero. Great piece for a full orchestra. I can still remember Torvill and Dean skating to it in the Olympics back in the 80s. What a performance.

n2ize
05-17-2013, 02:29 PM
I never actually played Bolero. Now you have my interest peaked. I might check out ISMLP and see if I can download the violin parts and give it a try.

WØTKX
05-17-2013, 10:27 PM
I dig Ravel, especially when "jazzed up".

http://youtu.be/-XeB_eKnmls

http://youtu.be/-XeB_eKnmls

N7YA
05-21-2013, 06:33 AM

After 5 years on the island, i finally know what you look like! Its funny how posts and avatars can "create" a persons image in your head, then when you see what they really look like, its often times nothing like what you thought.

This isnt too far off from my image of you.

K7SGJ
05-21-2013, 09:16 AM
After 5 years on the island, i finally know what you look like! Its funny how posts and avatars can "create" a persons image in your head, then when you see what they really look like, its often times nothing like what you thought.

It's kind of like how you form an image of someone you hear on the radio, and when you finally see them..............well.....you know.

NQ6U
05-21-2013, 09:27 AM
It's kind of like how you form an image of someone you hear on the radio, and when you finally see them..............well.....you know.

They always end up looking like a rectangular box with knobs on them.

K7SGJ
05-21-2013, 09:28 AM
They always end up looking like a rectangular box with knobs on them.

Not all of them are girls.

NQ6U
05-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Not all of them are girls.

You must have some funny-looking girls out there in the desert, Mr. Rat.

K7SGJ
05-21-2013, 09:33 AM
You must have some funny-looking girls out there in the desert, Mr. Rat.

Funny haha, or funny peculiar?

X-Rated
05-21-2013, 10:14 AM
I never thought of Peculiar as being funny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peculiar,_Missouri

K7SGJ
05-21-2013, 11:08 AM
I never thought of Peculiar as being funny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peculiar,_Missouri

I won't mention it no MO.

n2ize
05-21-2013, 06:28 PM
After 5 years on the island, i finally know what you look like!

Yep that's me... That picture was taken in March and I have shed at least 30-40 pounds since then. And even I March I aleady shed about 40-50 lbs since January. Not only do I feel better but ny violin playing has improved considerably.

Its funny how posts and avatars can "create" a persons image in your head, then when you see what they really look like, its often times nothing like what you thought.

That reminds me of when I was messing around with CB radio in my teens. I would hear these girls come on the radio and they had the nicest, sweetest voices and I envisioned how they must look and when I met them they did appear quite different from what I envisioned. Then I remember this one girl cousin of a friend of mine who was straying over for the summer. Every now and then she would talk on his CB radio. She sounded like she was about 9 years old so of course I wasn't interested... way too young. When I was at this friends house a few days later I got to meet her in person. No she wasn't 9. More like 18 years old and totally kick ass drop dead gorgeous. I hung out with her a lot that summer.

Yeah, the image most people imagine me as is usually not too far off.

N7YA
05-22-2013, 02:24 AM
Truth be told, ive seen this avatar of you for so long, i started to picture you being that guy...pencil drawing and all. :lol:

N7YA
05-22-2013, 02:25 AM
Keep in mind, i dont look like MY avatar.

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 08:19 AM

But you are forked, no?

X-Rated
05-22-2013, 08:48 AM

I don't look like mine either. That was when I was younger.

n2ize
05-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Truth be told, ive seen this avatar of you for so long, i started to picture you being that guy...pencil drawing and all. :lol:

Well, I sure wish I had his mathematical mind. He lived to be only 20 but made some major contributions to the field even before he reached that age. In fact a large and extremely important part of what we now call "abstract algebra" is based on his theorems.

He did spend a lot of time in jail for revolutionary activity in France . At age 20 he died in a pistol duel. That part of him I could do without. But he did have an incredible genius for math.

N7YA
05-22-2013, 04:11 PM
But you are forked, no?

Meaning i dont have a dirty, oily plastic fork like that...everything else about my avatar is a perfect rendition of me.

N7YA
05-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Well, I sure wish I had his mathematical mind. He lived to be only 20 but made some major contributions to the field even before he reached that age. In fact a large and extremely important part of what we now call "abstract algebra" is based on his theorems.

He did spend a lot of time in jail for revolutionary activity in France . At age 20 he died in a pistol duel. That part of him I could do without. But he did have an incredible genius for math.

I think its safe to say you cleared the "being 20" part. And you appear to be weilding a violin as opposed to a pistol, which by all accounts, is more effective in extending your life.

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Meaning i dont have a dirty, oily plastic fork like that...everything else about my avatar is a perfect rendition of me.

Looking at a picture on my phone and your avatar, I question the authenticity of the picture on my phone. LOL

N7YA
05-22-2013, 04:22 PM
My avatar is close...well, i also look a little like the guy down at the bottom here... VVV :lol:

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 04:32 PM
This will make your day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV6SmY04WdE

NQ6U
05-22-2013, 04:32 PM
I think its safe to say you cleared the "being 20" part. And you appear to be weilding a violin as opposed to a pistol, which by all accounts, is more effective in extending your life.

Although rather less effective at avenging one's honor.

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Violinists tell everybody "pluck you".

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Violinists tell everybody "pluck you".

At least they don't burn bridges behind them, now take a bow and quit fiddling around.

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Quit talking and let your chinrest.

N7YA
05-22-2013, 05:40 PM
I see you guys have resin to the occasion on the puns...and i appregiate all the effort you put into it.

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 05:41 PM
Quit talking and let your chinrest.

I will, don't you fret.

NQ6U
05-22-2013, 05:53 PM
You watch—this is going to end up with sax and violins.

X-Rated
05-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Quit it with the violin puns, you bunch of f-holes.

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Quit it with the violin puns, you bunch of f-holes.

Jeezz, sounds like someone was stringing you along, or something.

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 06:29 PM
He makes my neck hurt.

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 08:34 PM
He makes my neck hurt.

Quickly twist your head to the left, then the right, and then viola, all better.

WX7P
05-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Don't get strung out.

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Cello. I still want a taco while I ride in my Pink Bell 47.

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 09:20 PM
I feel I'm being strummed along.

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 09:21 PM
I feel I'm being strummed along.

Picky, picky, picky

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Picky, picky, picky

I feel you are out of tune

16.5 feet in the Twilight Zone = 1 Rod Serling

That's funny as hell

WX7P
05-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Picky, picky, picky

Hey, don't get all Leroy Anderson on us.

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Third bass

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Hey, don't get all Leroy Anderson on us.

Leroy boy you're my friend
You say how
And I say when

WX7P
05-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Third bass

No, rata, that's 3rd Bass.

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 09:37 PM
No, rata, that's 3rd Bass.

Easy there, or I'll smack ya with a tuba 4.

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 09:42 PM

With your broad threat, you should try to be clarinet it up so people can understand what you mean.

WX7P
05-22-2013, 09:46 PM

We'll exile your ass to Tuba City.

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 09:49 PM

An Exile on Main Street would be too good for him. Make his stones roll..........

N8OBM
05-22-2013, 09:50 PM

Next thing you know, you guys will be punning on composers so you can even the Score.

Archie N8OBM

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 09:51 PM
You guys are always drumming up trouble, especially in the gun thread with your glockenspiel.

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Next thing you know, you guys will be punning on composers so you can even the Score.

Archie N8OBM

Bach, humbug.

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 09:54 PM
You guys are always drumming up trouble, especially in the gun thread with your glockenspiel.

Ah, that's only if your bells are tubular.

WX7P
05-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Bach, humbug.

Water Music Torture for you. Can you Handel it?

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Ah, that's only if your bells are tubular.

I'm involved in a lawsuit about that. You've heard of a tubular litigation?

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 09:58 PM

It makes me-sigh-ah

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 09:59 PM

I'm just Chopin at the bit to try it.

WX7P
05-22-2013, 10:06 PM
I'm just Chopin at the bit to try it.

Watch it. The XYL might Dvorak you.

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Schumann, ya bother me.

WX7P
05-22-2013, 10:09 PM
C'mon. It'll open up a whole New World!

WX7P
05-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Schumann, ya bother me.

Can't. It's Unfinished.

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Schumann, ya bother me.

Don't Holst on to that thought.

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Don't Holst on to that thought.

If I do, are you going to chase me off the Island like the time you said Shubert?

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Yea, but BURTon Cummings always made you Guess Who. I never asked him to Shoo.

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 10:26 PM
Yea, but BURTon Cummings always made you Guess Who. I never asked him to Shoo.

Maybe some chick kept Wagner ass in his face, and yes, you did slam several Doors in his face.

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 10:28 PM
All I did was try to share the land with him.

WX7P
05-22-2013, 10:30 PM
Maybe some chick kept Wagner ass in his face, and yes, you did slam several Doors in his face.

Only if you kill the wabbit.

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 10:31 PM
But that turned out to be "Sour Suite".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n-5JXGOgXs

WX7P
05-22-2013, 10:32 PM
Can't. It's Unfinished.

Error, ERROR, Will Robinson.

WX7P
05-22-2013, 10:32 PM
But that turned out to be "Sour Suite".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n-5JXGOgXs

I got No time for that.

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 10:35 PM
It's just like 46201

WX7P
05-22-2013, 10:37 PM
Damn American Woman

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 10:41 PM
She makes me want to Clap for the Wolfman, she's such a Star Baby

WX7P
05-22-2013, 10:42 PM
She makes me want to Clap for the Wolfman, she's such a Star Baby

Where'd you get the gun, Joe?

I'm thinking about doing a Rain Dance for my Heart Broken Bopper.

WX7P
05-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Where the hell is Gerry? He could probably out do us on this one.

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Where the hell is Gerry? He could probably out do us on this one.

One of the Guess Who dudes lives near him.

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Where'd you get the gun, Joe?

I'm thinking about doing a Rain Dance for my Heart Broken Bopper.

Ah, don't you want to rain dance with me? Or should I be Running back to Saskatoon?

WX7P
05-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Ah, don't you want to rain dance with me? Or should I be Running back to Saskatoon?

You should. (Shifting gears here, but not countries) For that Sweet City Woman.

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 10:49 PM

I thought that was one of those brass thingies you expectorate into.

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 10:51 PM
You should. (Shifting gears here, but not countries) For that Sweet City Woman.

When I hear that, I want to be a Stampeder.

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 10:52 PM
I thought that was one of those brass thingies you expectorate into.

You're thinking of a Sasquatch, a hairy loogie.

WX7P
05-22-2013, 10:52 PM
When I hear that, I want to be a Stampeder.

ONLY in Calgary, NOT in Saskatchewan.

The banjo and me keep playing.

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 10:54 PM
You're thinking of a Sasquatch, a hairy loogie.

No, you're thinking of tarantula snot.

WX7P
05-22-2013, 10:55 PM
No, you're thinking of tarantula snot.

EWWW. Rata! GROSS!

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 10:58 PM
EWWW. Rata! GROSS!

No, 144 is gross, even 12 dozen is gross. Odd, huh?

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 11:00 PM

I think you evened the playing field.

WX7P
05-22-2013, 11:01 PM

I dunno, seems like a weighty issue to me, well, maybe.

n2ize
05-22-2013, 11:03 PM
Watch it. The XYL might Dvorak you.

Hah... Funny you should mention Dvorak At orchestra rehearsal tonight I was playing one of his compositions titled "Slavonic Dance, Op. 72". We also played some Brahms, Elgar, and Satie. All in all we had a very satisfying and enjoyable rehearsal tonight.

We also played a small concert this past Sunday. It was a very small venue but we had a pretty good sized audience.

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Hah... Funny you should mention Dvorak At orchestra rehearsal tonight I was playing one of his compositions titled "Slavonic Dance, Op. 72". We also played some Brahms, Elgar, and Satie. All in all we had a very satisfying and enjoyable rehearsal tonight.

We also played a small concert this past Sunday. It was a very small venue but we had a pretty good sized audience.

Glad you didn't go QWERTY all over their ass. The BASTIDS

K7SGJ
05-22-2013, 11:08 PM
Glad you didn't go QWERTY all over their ass. The BASTIDS

The pianist lacked concentration, and was keyboard.

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 11:13 PM
The pianist lacked concentration, and was keyboard.

It just wasn't my type

WX7P
05-22-2013, 11:13 PM

Very Cool. The Slavonic Dances are a personal favorite. Actually, I can't think of any Dvorak that I don't like. I've played a lot of his stuff.

Elgar. Probably one of the Pomp and Circumstance Marches, hopefully not #1, Land of Hope and Glory, but one of the others of the six. VERY British, and great stuff.

Was your Satie Gymnopedie?

N8OBM
05-22-2013, 11:29 PM
Very Cool. The Slavonic Dances are a personal favorite. Actually, I can't think of any Dvorak that I don't like. I've played a lot of his stuff.

Elgar. Probably one of the Pomp and Circumstance Marches, hopefully not #1, Land of Hope and Glory, but one of the others of the six. VERY British, and great stuff.

They tend to travel in threes.....

Archie N8OBM

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 11:33 PM

Archie N8OBM

Like Amigos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUTl8DSYUQA

WX7P
05-22-2013, 11:36 PM

Archie N8OBM

UH, Yeah.

Do you think the punmeisters are going to get that?

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 11:40 PM
UH, Yeah.

I got nothing

NA4BH
05-22-2013, 11:44 PM
But I did put on my blue suede shoes and boarded the plane touched down in the land of the Delta blues. But then again I was walking in Memphis.

N8OBM
05-23-2013, 12:23 AM
UH, Yeah.

Hey, what can I say? I loves me some Satie music.

Crazy french composers....

Archie N8OBM

N8OBM
05-23-2013, 12:27 AM

Hopefully we can read this.

Music puns. I win

Archie N8OBM

NQ6U
05-23-2013, 12:35 AM
Damn, I got to the show too late. I was working on my Chopin Liszt.

X-Rated
05-23-2013, 12:45 AM
Most are Strada variants of previous puns.

n2ize
05-23-2013, 01:29 AM
But I did put on my blue suede shoes and boarded the plane touched down in the land of the Delta blues. But then again I was walking in Memphis.

I hope you weren't stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again ?

n2ize
05-23-2013, 01:35 AM

Enigma Variations 8 & 9 (Nimrod)... Sometimes its trickier playing slow than fast. If you ever really want to hear it played slooooow go on UTube and listen to Bernstein conducting it.

Oui.

WX7P
05-23-2013, 10:35 AM

Hopefully we can read this.

Music puns. I win

Archie N8OBM

SOMEBODY reads gizmodo.

n2ize
05-23-2013, 02:47 PM
SOMEBODY reads gizmodo.

Apparently That piece of humor is also posted on my orchestra's FB page. Inf fact I've seen it posted on a lot of music related web sites.

Then there is the joke, "how do you learn to pklay a Ravel composition ?? You un-Ravel it... Ha Ha... If that is a bad joke it's because I made it up.

X-Rated
05-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Mozart had problems learning his music because his teacher was always Hayden.

N8OBM
05-23-2013, 07:36 PM
SOMEBODY reads gizmodo.

Nah, A friend sent me the screen cap just as I was reading the thread. It seemed ............. like grist for the mill. I had to share the pain.

Archie N8OBM

By the way what do you get if you drop a piano down a mine shaft?

A flat Miner.

YUCK YUCK HY YUCK!

K7SGJ
05-23-2013, 07:51 PM
Nah, A friend sent me the screen cap just as I was reading the thread. It seemed ............. like grist for the mill. I had to share the pain.

Archie N8OBM

By the way what do you get if you drop a piano down a mine shaft?

A flat Miner.

YUCK YUCK HY YUCK!

Personally, I'd rather c sharp than b flat.

WX7P
05-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Q: What's a viola good for in an orchestra?

A: Firewood.

K7SGJ
05-23-2013, 08:37 PM
Mozart had problems learning his music because his teacher was always Hayden.

Yes, in the beginning, but later on, he learned to compose himself.

WX7P
05-23-2013, 09:24 PM

Now, he's decomposing.

K7SGJ
05-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Now, he's decomposing.

Well, yes, that will happen to us all, eventually. We just need to accept this fact accordionly.

n2ize
05-24-2013, 12:49 AM
Some of us may never be composers but a day will come when we are all decomposers.

On a more serious note and getting back to actual music for a second or two I was having a discussion with a music theory teacher on a music forum. He said that he feels all musicians, amateur and professional, regardless of whether they are vocalists or play any instrument should do some composing at some point or another.

n2ize
05-24-2013, 12:51 AM
Now, he's decomposing.

I don't think Mozart is decomposing anymore. By now his decomposition has been completed.

n2ize
05-24-2013, 12:53 AM

And once he did he was able to Handel things a lot better.

X-Rated
05-24-2013, 12:57 AM
... He said that he feels all musicians....

Most people would if they got a chance.

n2ize
05-24-2013, 01:06 AM
Most people would if they got a chance.

That would depend...

K7SGJ
05-24-2013, 08:25 AM
That would depend...

No, that's a device for incontinence.

NA4BH
05-24-2013, 09:08 AM
No, that's a device for incontinence.

I thought it was a plane that would transport and land you incontinence all over the world.

NQ6U
05-24-2013, 10:00 AM
You're thinking of incontinental drift. Reunite Gondwanaland!

WX7P
05-24-2013, 10:23 AM
I thought it was a plane that would transport and land you incontinence all over the world.

I guess that would be the way to spread excrement all across the world...

N8OBM
05-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Q: What's a viola good for in an orchestra?

A: Firewood.

OK,
Q. Whats the difference between a violin and a viola?

A. A viola burns longer.

Q. what doe you call a drummer without a girlfriend?

A. Homeless.

Q. What is the difference between an oboe player and a seamstress?

A. A seamstress tucks up frills......

Q. How do you get a guitar player to stop playing?

A. Put sheet music in front of them

Q. How do you get a horn player to stop playing?

A. Take their sheet music away.

I got a million of them.

Archie N8OBM

About guitars...... If you keep picking at that thing, It will never heal!

WX7P
05-24-2013, 11:58 AM
What's the difference between a bass trombone and a chain saw?
1. Vibrato.
2. It's easier to improvise on a chainsaw.

N8OBM
05-24-2013, 12:18 PM
What's the difference between a bass trombone and a chain saw?
1. Vibrato.
2. It's easier to improvise on a chainsaw.

Flacko tossed his accordion into the back of his car and drove to the music store for some sheet music. He forgot to lock his car and when he came out he had 2 accordions.

Q. how many guitarist does it take to change a light bulb?

A. 7, One to do it and 6 to stand around and say I could do that better, faster, cleaner..........

Archie N8OBM

WX7P
05-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Flacko tossed his accordion into the back of his car and drove to the music store for some sheet music. He forgot to lock his car and when he came out he had 2 accordions.

Q. how many guitarist does it take to change a light bulb?

A. 7, One to do it and 6 to stand around and say I could do that better, faster, cleaner..........

Archie N8OBM

:lol:

I saw Flaco Jimenez live in 1988 when he was with the Texas Tornadoes. We had front row seats. Flaco was so hammered you could smell the booze on his breath in the audience.

NQ6U
05-24-2013, 12:57 PM
From my days of hanging around with bluegrass musicians:

Q: What's the difference between a banjo and an onion?
A: No one cries when you chop up a banjo.

Q: What's perfect pitch?
A: When you toss a banjo into a dumpster and it hits an accordion.

n2ize
05-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Q. How do you get a guitar player to stop playing?

A. Put sheet music in front of them

:lol::lol:

N7YA
05-24-2013, 04:38 PM
How many lead vocalists does it take to screw in a light bulb? One...they simply hold the bulb while the world revolves around them.

N7YA
05-24-2013, 04:40 PM
How many keyboard players does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Uh...keyboard player? Cant we just run tracks?