PDA

View Full Version : Real nature at work..

VK3ZL
04-17-2013, 04:21 AM
Hi all..I was drawn to a raucous battle going on in one of the big gardens this morning..There were half a dozen types of Birds, Magpies,Crows, little Wagtails and Wrens etc...They were all going totally bonkers...My first thought was probably a Wallaby or Koala trespassing as in that portion of our gardens we have many large trees and shrubs and the native animals often arrive here and spend a day or two before moving on....This always stirs up the dozens of birds we so enjoy and the racket can become as bad as a "Chinese Parliament"..

Anyhow, on investigation I discovered the culprit who was the object of all the racket.. On the ground among the trees was a Collared Sparrowhawk..He had apparently caught one of the local Wattle Birds off guard and had it pinned to the ground....The poor wattle bird was objecting to being invited to the Sparrowhawk's breakfast..I could only watch what was occurring natuarally myself believing that it is better to let nature take it's course..

With the bird chorus at full volume and the Magpies trying to attack the Hawk I went back to the house and called Jeannie to bring the camera..The result is a half a dozen good pictures which I will share with you all..

The Collared Sparrowhawk is common here along with Peregrine Falcons and a number of other Hawks...They like to perch on the top of one of my radio masts looking for mice and Native Bush Rats...The mast is a great observation perch for them and native wildlife is plentiful..The Sparrowhawk is naturally not human shy and they can be approached carefully without scaring them...They take prey up to more half their own size..

I just wanted to share this with you all as one doesn't get the opportunity to observe nature so close ..

Bob..VK3ZL

KC2UGV
04-17-2013, 06:31 AM
Nice! You don't often get a chance to see, let alone photograph a hawk catching any bird (Birds tend to be too spry).

N2CHX
04-17-2013, 07:23 AM
Apparently that hawk is too cheap to buy his breakfast.

K7SGJ
04-17-2013, 08:19 AM
That's pretty awesome, Bob. Now get back to work on the 160 amp.

We also have Peregrines here, and Red Tail Hawks, too. The Red Tails usually hunt in groups of three, and their hunting techniques are amazing to watch. Especially when they take a rabbit, and fly it up to the top of the 40 foot power poles out here. Then after a rest, on to the next pole until they get it whereever they go. I can't believe how much lifting power they have since the rabbits out here are pretty large.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

NQ6U
04-17-2013, 11:57 AM
It's always cool when a little bit of nature intrudes on your garden. Once, I was changing the water pump on my car when I heard a swoosh overhead. I looked up just in time to see an American Kestrel (a small falcon often called Sparrowhawk here) nail a scrub jay about ten feet above me.

Kestrel
http://www.nps.gov/cacl/naturescience/images/Kestrel.jpg

Scrub Jay
http://www.bird-friends.com/pics/WesternScrubJay/WesternScrubJay2LR.jpg

N2RJ
04-17-2013, 12:28 PM
This is one of the best I've seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9i3h7JVT4g

Eagle is in the nest, presumably with chicks. Hawk sees nest and attempts a home invasion. Eagle successfully defends the nest.

kb2vxa
04-18-2013, 09:49 AM
There's a lesson to be learned here. When a bad guy invades your home kill him and feed him to your children.

KG4CGC
04-18-2013, 10:07 AM
There's a lesson to be learned here. When a bad guy invades your home kill him and feed him to your children.

Actually, in this case I believe that the ...

N2RJ
04-18-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm just glad our national bird is not the turkey.

N8YX
04-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Hawks gotta eat too.

n2ize
04-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Bob, do you see many wallaby's around your area ? From what I have been told a wallaby is basically a smaller version of the kangaroo.

Speaking of birds we have a large owl thats been hanging around here lately. I sometimes see him/her on a tree towards dusk or on very cloudy days and have noticed fewer squirrels hanging around the yard of late. Also get some hawks that come around now and then. Saw a large hawk stalking a couple of squirrels in a tree a few years ago.

We seem to have a pretty healthy bat population round here lately. I often see them flying around at dusk. That is good news since a lot of the bat population here in the United States has been falling ill from a typ[e of fungal disease.

WØTKX
04-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Ben Franklin said it should have been the turkey. I agree.

kb2vxa
04-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Franklin saw the future of American politics.

n2ize
04-18-2013, 09:14 PM
I'm just glad our national bird is not the turkey.

The North American wild turkey is quite an impressive bird. Nothing like the ones that are raised for Thanksgiving.

VK3ZL
04-19-2013, 05:06 AM
Bob, do you see many wallaby's around your area ? From what I have been told a wallaby is basically a smaller version of the kangaroo.

Speaking of birds we have a large owl thats been hanging around here lately. I sometimes see him/her on a tree towards dusk or on very cloudy days and have noticed fewer squirrels hanging around the yard of late. Also get some hawks that come around now and then. Saw a large hawk stalking a couple of squirrels in a tree a few years ago.

We seem to have a pretty healthy bat population round here lately. I often see them flying around at dusk. That is good news since a lot of the bat population here in the United States has been falling ill from a typ[e of fungal disease.

Gidday John..Yes, we have hundreds of little black Wallaby's here....They are a very quiet animal and don't usually spook easily unless you come on them unexpectedly...Of course we also have thousands of Western Grey Kangaroos mainly in the bush but I get my share passing through here..Same as Koala's, they often come here and spend a few days in the Eucalypt trees in the gardens..There are Ring Tailed Possums, very shy but beautifully marked with black brown and white coloring as well as the common Grey Possum which is a nuisance in the towns and cities..Wombats, Native Bush Rats, and tiny Sugar Gliders..Our large Native gardens are a haven for a big variety of Native birds as well as European Sparrows and Blackbirds...Some of the more outstanding of the birds are the Rosella a beautifully multi colored small Parrot..Owls, Nightjars and just too many to name here..

Bob..VK3ZL..

kb2vxa
04-19-2013, 05:34 PM
That's what roo bars are for, lucky for you moose don't live in Australia.

K7SGJ
04-19-2013, 05:54 PM
I thought that was where folks went to drink Fosters.

KG4CGC
04-19-2013, 06:09 PM
The pictures you took are great :applecore: :smileyface:

VK3ZL
04-20-2013, 04:15 AM
I thought that was where folks went to drink Fosters.

Crikey !!!!! Who'd drink that stuff...Weak as horses piss and tastes bloody awful...Only one beer to drink in Oz.

VICTORIA BITTER....

Bob..VK3ZL..

NQ6U
04-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Crikey !!!!! Who'd drink that stuff...Weak as horses piss and tastes bloody awful...Only one beer to drink in Oz.

VICTORIA BITTER....

Bob..VK3ZL..

Glad to hear an Aussie say that about Foster's, never did care for the stuff myself. It's only redeeming virtue is that it comes in such large quantity. Back in the day, we used to refer to those big cans as "depth charges."

kb2vxa
04-20-2013, 09:42 PM
You're not the only Aussie who says Foster's is panther piss. Oh, and you don't toss another shrimp on the barbie, they're PRAWNS. (;->)

KG4CGC
04-20-2013, 10:42 PM
The Fosters we got here 30 years ago was pretty good until about 1988. Something changed and it all tasted like soap. Then many many many years later I tried it again and it tasted like a rough version of the Budweiser recipe. Now it's simply not drinkable to me. I'd almost pour it down the sink like I did with that menthol beer.

NA4BH
04-20-2013, 10:49 PM
Fruitcake took a dive around the same time.

VE7DCW
04-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Fruitcake took a dive around the same time.

We've now established that fruitcake is good.....I hope! :mrgreen:

NA4BH
04-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Fruitcake, with it's fruit that is candied, is wonderful.

KG4CGC
04-20-2013, 11:10 PM
Toast. I'll take dry toast.

NA4BH
04-20-2013, 11:12 PM
Wheat or white? Butter or jam?

VE7DCW
04-20-2013, 11:15 PM
Fruitcake, with it's fruit that is candied, is wonderful.

......and really good fruitcake has many practical uses like duct tape!

:iagree:

KG4CGC
04-20-2013, 11:24 PM
Wheat or white? Butter or jam?

Ah. A small dissertation on the use of the word 'dry" as an adjective.
Oh and wheat. Ta.

K7SGJ
04-21-2013, 08:32 AM
......and really good fruitcake has many practical uses like duct tape!

:iagree:

We use it for mulch, and add it once a month to the septic tank to kill all the bad shit.

I even have one I've had since I was a kid that I use for an anvil.

kb2vxa
04-21-2013, 11:06 AM

NQ6U
04-21-2013, 11:06 AM
We use it for mulch, and add it once a month to the septic tank to kill all the bad shit.

I even have one I've had since I was a kid that I use for an anvil.

It's always good to keep a fruitcake in the trunk of your car. You can put it behind a wheel to keep the car from rolling off the jack while you're changing a tire.

VE7DCW
04-21-2013, 11:29 AM
It's always good to keep a fruitcake in the trunk of your car. You can put it behind a wheel to keep the car from rolling off the jack while you're changing a tire.

Alternatively ....... you keep a fruitcake in the trunk and if you and your car are caught in deep snow, break up the fruitcake into small particles and place around your drive wheels.......excellent traction material! :yes:

K7SGJ
04-21-2013, 11:43 AM

Actually, I have a couple of circular fruitcakes in the trunk, that I use for spare tires. I don't even need the lug nuts.

kb2vxa
04-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Once in a while I see a fruitcake in the driver seat..........

K7SGJ
04-27-2013, 10:25 PM
So my wife calls me outside tonight. And bring the camera. Well, this little clusterfuk was going on.

What's going on here takes place a lot out here this time of year. These tarantella hawks come out and try to find the young tarantella spiders. They sting the spider via a long stinger, and it anesthetizes the spider. Then, they literally drag the thing to their nest and bury it, alive. Then they lay a single egg in the spiders body where the young hawk hatches and viola' warm food. Due to the size of the stinger on these things, most other things won't mess with them. However, roadrunners find them to be a delicacy.

NA4BH
04-27-2013, 10:28 PM
The food chain exposed. Tarantella - Tarantella Hawks - Roadrunners - Coyotes - Anvil and/or explosion.

K7SGJ
04-27-2013, 10:30 PM
The ACME food chain exposed. Tarantella - Tarantella Hawks - Roadrunners - Coyotes - Anvil and/or explosion.

Fixed it for ya.

NQ6U
04-27-2013, 10:31 PM
The food chain exposed. Tarantella - Tarantella Hawks - Roadrunners - Coyotes - Anvil and/or explosion.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/mushroomcloud.gif

VE7DCW
04-27-2013, 10:43 PM
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/mushroomcloud.gif

That was Operation Crossroad ....... underwater shot Baker...... scary to see them blow up a column of water like that in Bikini atoll....... yikes!! scary indeed.....! :shock:

K7SGJ
04-27-2013, 10:44 PM
That was Operation Crossroad ....... underwater shot Baker...... scary to see them blow up a column of water like that in Bikini atoll....... yikes!! scary indeed.....! :shock:

I knew a girl once, that looked like one of those went off in her bikini and took atoll. She was a blast, too.

VE7DCW
04-27-2013, 10:47 PM
I knew a girl once, that looked like one of those went off in her bikini and took atoll.'

I'll bet it took a toll..... funny how women are like that! :mrgreen:

NA4BH
04-27-2013, 10:48 PM
I knew a girl once, that looked like one of those went off in her bikini and took atoll. She was a blast, too.

I knew a guy that had one go off in his shorts. This happened on a small place called No Balls At-oll.

K7SGJ
04-27-2013, 10:50 PM
I knew a guy that had one go off in his shorts. This happened on a small place called No Balls At-oll.

Did it he go nuts, or did he just get testy?

kb2vxa
04-28-2013, 12:27 AM
Backing up a bit I seem to be the only one who noticed a funny spelling error. Tarantula is a spider, tarantella is a southern Italian folk dance with a very interesting history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantella

K7SGJ
04-28-2013, 10:16 PM
Backing up a bit I seem to be the only one who noticed a funny spelling error. Tarantula is a spider, tarantella is a southern Italian folk dance with a very interesting history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantella

Drop[ a tarantula in your shorts, and you'll be doing the tarantella all night long.

NQ6U
04-28-2013, 10:22 PM
Drop[ a tarantula in your shorts, and you'll be doing the tarantella all night long.

Yeah, don't you just hate it when that happens?

NA4BH
04-28-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm doing it right now

VE7DCW
04-28-2013, 11:02 PM

Tolassi (W4BHV), on one of his 14.313 rants said he would send a box of Taran-tula spiders to his enemies (instead of the pronunciation of Taratantula).......it sounded funnier than hell...... you have to admit those big spiders can be entertaining in more ways than one! :rofl:

AE1PT
04-29-2013, 01:24 AM
I'm doing it right now

No video, didn't happen. Upload the proof, or stop downloading TALL TALES! :liar:

Or is putting a big, hairy spider in your crotch a requirement for promotion to staff?

Fess up, Bob...

kb2vxa
04-29-2013, 10:05 AM
I'm doing it right now

What, dancing or dropping?

Fess up, Bob...

Yeah.

NA4BH
04-29-2013, 10:44 AM
If I tell ya then everyone will be doing it. That will create a shortage of tarantella spiders. Price then skyrockets. The tarantella spiders are already hard to find.

NQ6U
04-29-2013, 11:53 AM
If I tell ya then everyone will be doing it. That will create a shortage of tarantella spiders. Price then skyrockets. The tarantella spiders are already hard to find.

And it's a bitch to find eight tiny ballet shoes for each one of 'em, too.

K7SGJ
04-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Tolassi (W4BHV), on one of his 14.313 rants said he would send a box of Taran-tula spiders to his enemies (instead of the pronunciation of Taratantula).......it sounded funnier than hell...... you have to admit those big spiders can be entertaining in more ways than one! :rofl:

Actually, as intimidating as they look, they a very docile creatures. You can handle them if you are careful and don't squeeze them. They hate that.

kb2vxa
04-29-2013, 06:40 PM
Attack of the killer spiders: Invasion of biting tarantulas sparks panic in northeast India
Mirror.co.uk ^ | June 5, 2012 | Natalie Evans

An invasion of giant biting spiders has sparked mass panic in northeast India.
Two people have died after being bitten by the hairy creatures, thought to be a new species of tarantula.
But officials in the district of Tinsukia said locals’ attempts to treat the painful swelling caused by the bites may be more dangerous than the spiders themselves. It is unclear whether the victims died from venom or from treatment by witch doctors, who cut them with razor blades to drain the wounds.