PDA

View Full Version : A BIG Thank You to Texas

WX7P
04-15-2013, 11:50 PM
For the Houston Astros.

My beloved Oakland A's are cleaning up on the 'stros.

It's too bad the Astros suck so bad. My favorite baseball player of all time, Jim Bouton, played for Houston.

Any of you read Ball Four?

N2NH
04-16-2013, 12:09 AM
For the Houston Astros.

It's too bad the Astros suck so bad. My favorite baseball player of all time, Jim Bouton, played for Houston.

If we (the American League) had to lose Arizona and Milwaukee, then we should get Colorado in return. One mountain team for another. I wonder what the Colorado contingent here would think of that.

Not only read it and the sequel, but I met Jim in passing on a couple of occasions at the Coney Island subway station. A real class guy. One of my favorite ball players right up there with Seaver and most of the 69 Mets. Bouton was an ex- Yankee too.

W3WN
04-16-2013, 01:13 PM
For the Houston Astros.

Any of you read Ball Four?Not only have I read Ball Four, I've also read I'm Glad You Didn't Take It Personally. And the various Ball Four updates over the years.

I even met Bouton once. While he was still a Yankee, yet. Of course, I was only about 8, but somewhere in my parents house, in my father's desk, there should be a folder with (amongst many other things) his autograph.

"It makes a fellow proud to be an Astro!" (Not)

WX7P
04-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Not only have I read Ball Four, I've also read I'm Glad You Didn't Take It Personally. And the various Ball Four updates over the years.

I even met Bouton once. While he was still a Yankee, yet. Of course, I was only about 8, but somewhere in my parents house, in my father's desk, there should be a folder with (amongst many other things) his autograph.

"It makes a fellow proud to be an Astro!" (Not)

Cool. I've read all of Bouton's books and have an autographed copy of his last book AND a signed picture of Bouton in a Seattle Pilots uniform.

Smoke 'em inside. Pound that Budweiser. Take a hike son. Take a hike.

Ball Four was the first sports book I read that made sports people seem like real human beings, not gods. I was in love with baseball already, but that book made it even more interesting.

"Better go to the clubhouse, Whitey, your jock needs adjusting. when you come back, it had better be without your ring".

Classic.

K7SGJ
04-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Third base

NQ6U
04-16-2013, 04:37 PM

I just downloaded the Kindle version of the most recent edition. It better be good, you DH-loving heretic.

N2NH
04-16-2013, 07:13 PM
I just downloaded the Kindle version of the most recent edition. It better be good, you DH-loving heretic.

Best baseball book I've ever read. Best baseball book that is probably never going to be a movie too.