PDA

View Full Version : MicroSoft Pulls Security Patch. Causes Blue Screen of Death.

N2NH
04-15-2013, 04:13 PM
I just did this and my computer is running faster. I was lucky, this patch killed your computer.

Tech giant Microsoft has recommended that an update released in the latest Patch Tuesday (http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-fixes-two-critical-windows-ie-security-flaws-for-aprils-patch-tuesday-7000013752/) be removed, after users reported incidents of the "blue screen of death" after installation.Microsoft released two critical security updates and others rated as "important" for Windows and Internet Explorer as part of its latest round of Patch Tuesday updates.However, a number of Windows 7 users have reported issueswith security update 2823324 (https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2839011), which is part of security bulletin MS13-036.MS13-036 was meant to fix three privately disclosed flaws and one publicly disclosed flaw in an NTFS kernel-mode driver related to the elevation of privileges when a user is logged in. However, once installed, security update 2823324 (https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2839011) -- part of the bulletin -- may produce a "STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}" problem for users. The error occurs early in the startup process, and no Memory.dmp file is created.As a result, Microsoft has temporarily pulled the patch from its security bulletin while the issue is being investigated.

If you have this patch, this might be a good idea.

Microsoft pulls Patch Tuesday security fix (http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-pulls-patch-tuesday-security-fix-7000013942/?s_cid=e550&ttag=e550)

N2RJ
04-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Good find. My computer started blue screening just this week.

suddenseer
04-15-2013, 04:31 PM
OS X did not notice a darn thing. :mrgreen:

NQ6U
04-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Hope I can find my damned XP install disk if I need it...

N2NH
04-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Hope I can find my damned XP install disk if I need it...

Just uninstall the update. Go to Windows Update, then "view update history" and on the left it should link to where you can uninstall the update.

It'll tell you to reboot and it should be fine after that. Maybe a run of CCleaner to clean up any snigglets afterwards.

NQ6U
04-15-2013, 05:59 PM
It turns out to be a moot point. When I checked my shack computer, that particular update hadn't been installed. That's the only Windows machine out of the five I've got here. Six, if you count the tablet.

VE7MGF
04-15-2013, 06:06 PM
well im fucked i installed the parch and cant even get to the altf10 point
just get a blue screen with nothing to click on

NQ6U
04-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Finally got into the MS support page about this—I'm sure their servers are being hammered right now—and it seems that the problem only affects Win 7.

KJ3N
04-15-2013, 06:38 PM
I've had this update installed since the 11th. Haven't noticed anything unusual. :dunno:

Yes, I'm on Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

kb2vxa
04-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Same OS, same non problem. EH? We're lucky I suppose.

K7SGJ
04-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Yep, it was on my Win 7/64. I went ahead and removed it, even though I haven't experienced any of the symptoms.

Thanks for the heads up.

N2RJ
04-15-2013, 09:26 PM
OS X did not notice a darn thing. :mrgreen:

Yeah I run mac too but I also run Windows. Don't have decent contesting software on mac just yet...

VE7DCW
04-15-2013, 09:57 PM
This is most interesting my netbook I'm running here with Windows 7 ultimate has'nt shown the BSOD since the security update ..... but upon booting up periodically the CHKDSK screen appears and scans...... i'm assuming this is related to this issue :-|

N2NH
04-16-2013, 12:06 AM
Good find. My computer started blue screening just this week.

My pleasure.

I got a Blue Screen of Death, but managed to start it up with a do-over (an earlier saved set up). There's a "KB" ahead of the number in my machine and yes, running WIN 7/64 here too. Word is that WIN 8 is unlikely to get better and there may not be a successor to it. Tablets are hitting the PC/MAC market that hard and that quick. That and the cloud are being blamed for the hit Home Computers and Laptops are taking.

suddenseer
04-16-2013, 05:33 AM
Yeah I run mac too but I also run Windows. Don't have decent contesting software on mac just yet...I say the same thing about awesome sound editing ware. No one has made the same things for winnders yet.

KB3LAZ
04-16-2013, 06:37 AM
Switched to the laptop to check, yep its there. My wife has not been having any issues but I went ahead and removed it. Thanks for the heads up.

KC2UGV
04-16-2013, 06:48 AM
I'm glad our WSUS server has that fix on hold.

K7SGJ
04-16-2013, 08:55 AM
WSUS server? That's your problem, you need to get a manly server.

kb2vxa
04-16-2013, 10:46 AM
"...Windows 7 ultimate has'nt shown the BSOD since the security update ..... but upon booting up periodically the CHKDSK screen appears and scans...... i'm assuming this is related to this issue."

I'm surprised, 7 doesn't have a BSOD but it does have error correction that runs behind the scenes so CKKDSK shouldn't appear. Maybe because it does it could be related but in any case my 7 Ultimate shows no problems nor does virtual XP also updated. Eh, if it does by some chance I can drop in my Disc Image boot CD and recover the entire drive from last month's compressed backup on an external drive. What, ME worry? (;->)

W7XF
04-16-2013, 11:22 PM
Never a smurfy moment on OS X:-)

NQ6U
04-17-2013, 12:21 AM
Never a smurfy moment on OS X:-)

Just cruises right through all the Microsoft nonsense. I have an XP box in the shack because there is a better selection of ham radio apps under Windows. The other five computers all run OS X or Linux.

VE7DCW
04-17-2013, 12:49 AM
"...Windows 7 ultimate has'nt shown the BSOD since the security update ..... but upon booting up periodically the CHKDSK screen appears and scans...... i'm assuming this is related to this issue."

I'm surprised, 7 doesn't have a BSOD but it does have error correction that runs behind the scenes so CKKDSK shouldn't appear. Maybe because it does it could be related but in any case my 7 Ultimate shows no problems nor does virtual XP also updated. Eh, if it does by some chance I can drop in my Disc Image boot CD and recover the entire drive from last month's compressed backup on an external drive. What, ME worry? (;->)

I've had the Windows 7 netbook now for about a couple of years and have yet to see a BSOD.The CHKDSK screen has appeared on my computer about 3 times now on various fresh bootups i've done since receiving this MS security update last week..... I assume there is some connection to it ...... my Desktop running XP gave me the BSOD rather infrequently.....:yes:

W2NAP
04-17-2013, 05:19 AM
never seen a blue screen of death on my linux box......:smug: