PDA

View Full Version : So what are you reading right now...?

NY4Q
04-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Me : Otherland by Tad Williams

MyDarlingWife : Whiteout by Ken Follett

WX7P
04-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Something pretty lowbrow.

"I Told You I Wasn't Perfect" by Denny McLain.

It's actually pretty interesting.

NQ6U
04-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.

(The Kindle version, FWIW, which I bring up only because the XYL is reading the same book via the Kindle app on her recently acquired iPad.)

PA5COR
04-13-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm reading your posts....

N2NH
04-13-2013, 04:59 PM
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich By William L. Shirer. Historical based on files and personal papers confiscated after World War II.

n2ize
04-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Music. Playing in a concert tomorrow. :)

WX7P
04-13-2013, 05:12 PM
Music. Playing in a concert tomorrow. :)

What are you playing? (music wise)

n2ize
04-13-2013, 06:55 PM
What are you playing? (music wise)

Here's our repertoire in concert order...

1) Dmitri Shostakovich "Waltz #2"
2) Mozart "Symphony 40, 1st movement"
3) Jay Ungar "Ashokan Farewell"
4) Beethoven "Symphony # 7 2nd movement"
5) Aaron Copland "At the River"
6) Mozart "Die Zauberflote (Magic Flute) Overture"
7) Schubert "Symphony # 8 1st movement"
9) Ravel "Mother Goose parts 1,2,5"
10) Handel "Hallelujah"

All parts as written by the original composers. Should keep the audience entertained for a while at least ;).
I will be playing all pieces 2nd violin section except for Mozart's 40th and Beethoven's 7th where I switch to 1st violin and confuse the heck out of the second violinists sitting next to me. LOL... All in all I think it will be a fun gig. Looking forward to it.

K7SGJ
04-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Reading a Michael Prescott mystery novel. In between my weed whacker service manuals.

WX7P
04-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Here's our repertoire in concert order...

1) Dmitri Shostakovich "Waltz #2"
2) Mozart "Symphony 40, 1st movement"
3) Jay Ungar "Ashokan Farewell"
4) Beethoven "Symphony # 7 2nd movement"
5) Aaron Copland "At the River"
6) Mozart "Die Zauberflote (Magic Flute) Overture"
7) Schubert "Symphony # 8 1st movement"
9) Ravel "Mother Goose parts 1,2,5"
10) Handel "Hallelujah"

All parts as written by the original composers. Should keep the audience entertained for a while at least ;).
I will be playing all pieces 2nd violin section except for Mozart's 40th and Beethoven's 7th where I switch to 1st violin and confuse the heck out of the second violinists sitting next to me. LOL... All in all I think it will be a fun gig. Looking forward to it.

Wow, that's a lot of charts.

It's all good though. Gotta keep the audience in the game.

I'm kind of partial to Dvorak. His stuff is all pretty cliche and frowned upon by "serious" musicians, but it's fun to play.

I can still do the entire second violin part from New World pretty much by memory.

My favorite is Dvorak's Symphony number 8, especially the third movement. I've played that entire piece a zillion times and I never get sick of it (unlike "Sound of Music" which makes me barf everytime I even see the score),

n2ize
04-14-2013, 12:44 AM
Wow, that's a lot of charts.

It's all good though. Gotta keep the audience in the game.

I'm kind of partial to Dvorak. His stuff is all pretty cliche and frowned upon by "serious" musicians, but it's fun to play.

I can still do the entire second violin part from New World pretty much by memory.

My favorite is Dvorak's Symphony number 8, especially the third movement. I've played that entire piece a zillion times and I never get sick of it (unlike "Sound of Music" which makes me barf everytime I even see the score),

Hmmmm... I never tried playing any Dvorak compositions so I can't really say what I think of them. I'll have to give a look and a try. The way I see it is if I can play it and sound halfway decent and I enjoy it then it's good stuff ;). I just did a solo runthrough of all the stuff we are playing tomorrow. Got all the sheet music in order and got everything packed up and ready. Then all I need to do tomorrow is shower, get dressed grab my fiddle and stuff and head out to the gig. I'll let you know how it goes and I'll probably post a couple of videos as soon as they come online.

NY4Q
04-14-2013, 05:35 AM
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich By William L. Shirer. Historical based on files and personal papers confiscated after World War II.

I have that book beside the bed and spot read it from time to time.