PDA

View Full Version : Chance of Aurora Forecast For Tonight - US and Europe. (4/13/13)

N2NH
04-13-2013, 12:45 PM
According to Accuweather, Aurora will be visible in the some areas of the Northern Part of the US and Europe.

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/pub/includes/columns/newsstory/2013/590x393_04131348_page.jpg

for the United Kingdom and Europe:

http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/pub/includes/columns/newsstory/2013/590x393_04131421_page.jpg

Viewing conditions will be best in the mid-Atlantic, specifically for parts of Pennsylvania and the Delmarva. Most of the country will have poor to fair views as a result of cloud cover, with areas further south not experiencing the aurora at all. A pocket of fair conditions sits over parts of Oregon into Washington and southern Idaho. A swath of partly cloudy conditions will also spread over a section of the Ohio Valley for parts of Michigan, Indiana and Illinois. Ohio will experience fair to good viewing conditions. For the rest of the country conditions will be poor.
The northern lights may also be visible for parts of northern Europe, including Scandinavia, most of Russia and the British Isles, and as far south as the northern parts of Germany, Poland, Lithuania, Belarus, Latvia and Estonia. Unfortunately, many of those areas will be experiencing a good deal of cloud coverage.

We've been rainy or overcast for much of the week. Hopefully it clears up and I can finally see my first Aurora.

(http://www.accuweather.com/en/features/trend/dazzling_northern_lights_antic_1/10107004)
Dazzling Northern Lights Anticipated Tonight (http://www.accuweather.com/en/features/trend/dazzling_northern_lights_antic_1/10107004)

KJ3N
04-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Not going to see shit, if this cloud cover doesn't dissipate significantly. It's at least 50% cloud cover right now.

PA5COR
04-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Will try to look iff clouds allow me too.
http://www.buienradar.nl/image
http://www.buienradar.nl/

n2ize
04-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Can't wait till I move up into the far north country. I'll be seeing a lot of aurora's.

NY4Q
04-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Sucks to be me in GA today then...

WX7P
04-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Sucks to be me in GA today then...

Today? (SRI, couldn't resist...:-D)

NY4Q
04-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Today? (SRI, couldn't resist...:-D)

haha - Yeah, yeah, yeah, anyway, it's been lovely here today. I went out as a mountain bike guide this morning (tripsforkids.org) and had a ball, then came home and mowed, now I'm cleaned up, having a cold Molsen, and my darling wife and I are about to head out for some grub.

The ride was great this morning and the kids had a ball. 50ish degrees and every time we crossed a creek, they all jumped in. We do this every year and this is my third year as their guide.

WX7P
04-13-2013, 03:43 PM
haha - Yeah, yeah, yeah, anyway, it's been lovely here today. I went out as a mountain bike guide this morning (tripsforkids.org) and had a ball, then came home and mowed, now I'm cleaned up, having a cold Molsen, and my darling wife and I are about to head out for some grub.

The ride was great this morning and the kids had a ball. 50ish degrees and every time we crossed a creek, they all jumped in. We do this every year and this is my third year as their guide.

Cool. I'm hoping it's that warm here tomorrow. I want to start working on the Rambler.

Back "home" (CA) it's in the 70's with no wind...

Dammit.

NQ6U
04-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Cool. I'm hoping it's that warm here tomorrow. I want to start working on the Rambler.

Back "home" (CA) it's in the 70's with no wind...

Dammit.

If it makes you feel any better, here on the Islets it's "only" 61 °F (16 °C) and overcast, with 12 mph winds from the west.

N2NH
04-13-2013, 05:01 PM
It's all clear here for the first time since Monday. I hope they make it down this far south.

n2ize
04-13-2013, 05:09 PM

Simple solution. Work on it in the cold. Within a few minutes you won't even notice it. I work on stuff outside in the cold all the time, even when its way below freezing and most of the time I feel warm after a few minutes.

[/QUOTE]

WX7P
04-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Simple solution. Work on it in the cold. Within a few minutes you won't even notice it. I work on stuff outside in the cold all the time, even when its way below freezing and most of the time I feel warm after a few minutes.

[/QUOTE]

(Whine mode on).

I have a mild case of something called Raynaud's phenomenon which causes my hands and feet to become numb and turn blue in weather under 35F. It was a real problem when we lived in Tulelake. Even with gloves and heavy socks, I was only good for about 15 minutes outside before my hands and feet would get numb. I never lived in cold climates before there, so it was never an issue.

Interestingly enough, it hasn't been as bad here. It may be a result of some meds I'm taking now that I wasn't back then. There's nothing worse than trying to do something when your hands are completely numb.

(Whine mode off).

WØTKX
04-13-2013, 07:05 PM
The last few aurora blasts made 20 meters a lot of fun in the middle of the night.

Fluttery, but pretty strong EU signals. Pileups mellowed out, and ragchews occurred. :agree:

n2ize
04-13-2013, 07:11 PM
(Whine mode on).

I have a mild case of something called Raynaud's phenomenon which causes my hands and feet to become numb and turn blue in weather under 35F. It was a real problem when we lived in Tulelake. Even with gloves and heavy socks, I was only good for about 15 minutes outside before my hands and feet would get numb. I never lived in cold climates before there, so it was never an issue.

I am sorry, I had no idea. Matter of fact up till now I was unaware of this ailment. I did a quick read-up on it and yeah, I can see why you would want to avoid being out in the cold.

Interestingly enough, it hasn't been as bad here. It may be a result of some meds I'm taking now that I wasn't back then. There's nothing worse than trying to do something when your hands are completely numb.

(Whine mode off).

Well, glad to hear you are doing better. Particularly since you recently moved from a warm place to an area that can get quite cold.

WX7P
04-13-2013, 08:13 PM
I am sorry, I had no idea. Matter of fact up till now I was unaware of this ailment. I did a quick read-up on it and yeah, I can see why you would want to avoid being out in the cold.

Well, glad to hear you are doing better. Particularly since you recently moved from a warm place to an area that can get quite cold.

No apology necessary, you didn't know. Thank you for your concern.

It's just another one of those things that life deals a person and you have to deal with it. I've been fortunate that in my fifties I don't have some of the other problems that some people have to deal with. My neighbor in Fremont down the street growing up died 3 years ago at 51, and he was the athlete or our little group on the cul-de-sac. I think I can deal with some cold hands compared to that.

Side note: My parents are now the last original owners on the block. They've lived in the same house for 53 years. I guess my Dad and Mom win the tontine, except there is not capitalization involved.

N2NH
04-13-2013, 08:59 PM
She's cloudy again - came in around sunset. Not tonight.

PA5COR
04-14-2013, 04:48 AM
Clouds rolled in at 21.00 last night and just started to dissolve, no chance last night to get a peek, and i tried...

W2NAP
04-14-2013, 07:21 AM
I missed it. 1st i was in bed. and when I woke up about 2am i ended up on 220mhz till 6am