PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Phillips reveals most energy efficient ledlights

PA5COR
04-11-2013, 08:48 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22106718

Lighting company Philips has developed an LED lamp that it describes as "the world's most energy-efficient".
It said the prototype tube lighting LED is twice as efficient as those currently used in offices and industry around the world but offers the same amount of light.
Being able to halve the amount of energy used could bring huge cost and energy savings.
Lighting accounts for more than 19% of global electricity consumption.
The prototype tube lighting produces 200 lumens per watt (200lm/W) compared with 100lm/W for equivalent strip lighting and 15lm/W for traditional light bulbs.

In the US, for example, such lighting consumes around 200 terawatts of electricity annually. Swapping to the energy-efficient lamps could save $12bn (£7.8bn) and stop 60 million metric tonnes of carbon dioxide from being released into the atmosphere, according to Philips.

K7SGJ
04-11-2013, 08:59 AM
You have to admit, those guys at Phillips are very bright.

KJ3N
04-11-2013, 09:28 AM
You have to admit, those guys at Phillips are very bright.

I take a dim view of puns, sir.

NQ6U
04-11-2013, 10:46 AM
All well and good but, the law of unintended consequences strikes again: once LEDs have taken over, what are future cartoonists going to use to indicate that one of their characters has gotten an idea?

N2CHX
04-11-2013, 10:52 AM
All well and good but, the law of unintended consequences strikes again: once LEDs have taken over, what are future cartoonists going to use to indicate that one of their characters has gotten an idea?

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5056891126679000&pid=1.7

NQ6U
04-11-2013, 11:02 AM
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5056891126679000&pid=1.7

Yeah, but try to draw that in pen and ink. It just ain't the same.

N2CHX
04-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Yeah, but try to draw that in pen and ink. It just ain't the same.

NQ6U
04-11-2013, 11:44 AM

See what I mean?

N2CHX
04-11-2013, 01:39 PM
See what I mean?

Oh I dunno, I could get used to it :yes:

n2ize
04-11-2013, 03:03 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22106718

Lighting company Philips has developed an LED lamp that it describes as "the world's most energy-efficient".
It said the prototype tube lighting LED is twice as efficient as those currently used in offices and industry around the world but offers the same amount of light.
Being able to halve the amount of energy used could bring huge cost and energy savings.
Lighting accounts for more than 19% of global electricity consumption.
The prototype tube lighting produces 200 lumens per watt (200lm/W) compared with 100lm/W for equivalent strip lighting and 15lm/W for traditional light bulbs.

In the US, for example, such lighting consumes around 200 terawatts of electricity annually. Swapping to the energy-efficient lamps could save $12bn (£7.8bn) and stop 60 million metric tonnes of carbon dioxide from being released into the atmosphere, according to Philips.

Yeah, but how is the quality of the lighting ? Thus far I have found most LED lights are really harsh giving more of a bluish white than a warm white. This sucks because while it may be okay for an office or work area it is not too nice in a dining room or more romantic setting. Hope this new lighting is of better quality.

My preference for work areas are "cool white" or "daylight" fluorescent tubes.. For comfort zones such as living rooms, dining rooms or romantic settings I still prefer incandescent or candle light. LED's I prefer more for portable lighting, flashlights, and music stand lights.

K7SGJ
04-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Yeah, but how is the quality of the lighting ? Thus far I have found most LED lights are really harsh giving more of a bluish white than a warm white. This sucks because while it may be okay for an office or work area it is not too nice in a dining room or more romantic setting. Hope this new lighting is of better quality.

My preference for work areas are "cool white" or "daylight" fluorescent tubes.. For comfort zones such as living rooms, dining rooms or romantic settings I still prefer incandescent or candle light. LED's I prefer more for portable lighting, flashlights, and music stand lights.

If you are in a romantic setting, the lights should be off anyway. If you do need mood lighting, leave the refrigerator door open.

N2CHX
04-11-2013, 05:17 PM

Not so anymore. LED lighting has come a long way just in the last couple of years. There are some excellent, very pleasant, warm LED lighting products available now. The blue crap is mostly relegated to cheap lawn lighting type stuff at this point.

PA5COR
04-11-2013, 05:26 PM
If they produce the same light as the ones i use now from Phillips i can chose from the yellowish light of the incandescent light to more whiter light with still a yellow undertone in it.
My reading light is a 11 watt LED lamp giving the light of an 75 watt incandescent lamp in a warm white light, easy for reading.
2 each 5 watt LED's light the book case and ceiling those 2 alone give enough light to watch T.V and do most things in the livingroom/kitchen, 33 feet by 15 feet size.
At night my homebrew ledbar from 12 10mm led's and a pcb with 50 5 mm leds with red green and white leds keep the livingroom and kitchen in enough light not to have to use other light to do simple things like drinking a glass of water in the night.
The same sort PCB with 50 leds lights the hallway and staircase so you don't have to use the mainlight to come down to the toilet or kitchen for some water.
So in the evening my 2 x 5 watt led lamps and homebrew bar of 3 watt give enough light to be comfortable.
Before that i used a 18 watt CFl and 2 x 11 watt CFL's.

My only incandescent lamp in the house is in the toilet, just because it won't die.
If it does it will be replaced by a Led lamp, instant on full light.
Also ideal for outside lighting in the winter, instant on at full brightness.

n2ize
04-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Not so anymore. LED lighting has come a long way just in the last couple of years. There are some excellent, very pleasant, warm LED lighting products available now. The blue crap is mostly relegated to cheap lawn lighting type stuff at this point.

That's good to hear although I have yet to see them. Perhaps I have only see the cheaper LED systems so far. I know the more expensive ones can be quite pricey. I know that the compact fluorescents are very similar color to incandescents. For now I'll probably stick with TCLP / energy compliant fluorescent tubes and incandescents. When the price comes down on the LED systems maybe I'll give them another try.

n2ize
04-11-2013, 05:33 PM
My only incandescent lamp in the house is in the toilet, just because it won't die.
If it does it will be replaced by a Led lamp, instant on full light.
Also ideal for outside lighting in the winter, instant on at full brightness.

We use a mix of incandescents and CFL's and HID (high intensity discharge). Out in the garage I use mercury vapour and in the yard I have a mix of incandescent floods and natrium vapour lighting. Believe it or not I have one antique electric lamp that has a carbon filament bulb in it and...the damned thing still works !! I also have some old Christmas lights that I believe use carbon filaments. I don't use them though. They are just kept as collectibles. They tend to burn quite hot, another reason why I don't use them for decor.

N2CHX
04-11-2013, 05:38 PM
http://www.buylighting.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=LED-AD-14W1100-27&click=12191&gclid=CNa-4vzWw7YCFc9FMgod_XIAPw

Just an example.

PA5COR
04-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Lifespan of a LED lamp from Phillips i bought here is guaranteed 50.000 hours if it breaks before that time you get your money back or a new replacement.
Savings now, standard 60 watt x 2 bookcase now 2 x 5 watt LED.
Reading lamp 100 watt incandescent now 11 watt LED.
Average time lamps are on 8 hours a day x 365 days a year, i normally stay up to 02.00 or 03.00 in the night....
Savings here a year bookcase lamps 321 KW/h x €0.25 = € 80.30 euro a year.
Main lamp 5 hours a day saved 165 KW/H = € 40.60.
All compared to a incandescent lamp.
All 3 Phillips LED lamps were 60 Euro to buy.
saved that back within 1 year, life expectancy with 8 hours use a day = 16.6 years.
The new generation will use 1/2 of what my current LED lamps use from Phillips.

ki4itv
04-11-2013, 08:59 PM

K7SGJ
04-11-2013, 09:25 PM
We use a mix of incandescents and CFL's and HID (high intensity discharge). Out in the garage I use mercury vapour and in the yard I have a mix of incandescent floods and natrium vapour lighting. Believe it or not I have one antique electric lamp that has a carbon filament bulb in it and...the damned thing still works !! I also have some old Christmas lights that I believe use carbon filaments. I don't use them though. They are just kept as collectibles. They tend to burn quite hot, another reason why I don't use them for decor.

With all the different lighting chemistry around your place, I'm surprised the EPA hasn't put a skull and crossbones, or Mr. Ugg poster in your yard.

NQ6U
04-11-2013, 09:29 PM
With all the different lighting chemistry around your place, I'm surprised the EPA hasn't put a skull and crossbones, or Mr. Ugg poster in your yard.

The book The Radioactive Boy Scout comes to mind. I could see John being just like that guy.

K7SGJ
04-11-2013, 09:42 PM
The book The Radioactive Boy Scout comes to mind. I could see John being just like that guy.

Yeah, and he says he needs mood lighting. Bah I say, BAH!!!

XE1/N5AL
04-11-2013, 10:13 PM

I think Arby's already uses that one:

I'll be happy when reasonably priced LED's arrive down here. Those CFL bulbs are supposed to last a long time, but I find their lifetimes are about the same as incandescent bulbs. They just self-destruct in a different manner. Some brands of CFL bulbs that I have bought were quickly gifted to friends, who live a long way from my house, after I found out how much RFI they generated.

NQ6U
04-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Yeah, and he says he needs mood lighting. Bah I say, BAH!!!

Does a Superfund site require mood lighting?

WØTKX
04-11-2013, 10:33 PM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDkklR4FG9zIz1CWX-rVxH8L4mtF4ys--ckotK9u9fR9bzUImI

K7SGJ
04-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Does a Superfund site require mood lighting?

I think you have it backwards. Doom lighting, not mood.

NQ6U
04-11-2013, 11:42 PM
I think you have it backwards. Doom lighting, not mood.

Okay, thanks for straightening me out on that one.

n2ize
04-12-2013, 06:59 AM

Hmmmm.... you just gave me an idea. Radioluminescent lighting. Rooms that glow in the dark. You paint the walls and ceilings with radium paint. ;) :lol:

KK4AMI
04-12-2013, 07:38 AM
Hmmmm.... you just gave me an idea. Radioluminescent lighting. Rooms that glow in the dark. You paint the walls and ceilings with radium paint. ;) :lol:

Great in the bedroom, you won't even need birth control.

I love my LED X-mas lighting. I have a 100 foot string that hasn't lost a light in 4 years.

n2ize
04-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Great in the bedroom, you won't even need birth control.

Yes, see that, it even has some added advantages beyond just lighting. ;)

I love my LED X-mas lighting. I have a 100 foot string that hasn't lost a light in 4 years.

Lot of people are using the LED Christmas lights these days. They look good. Different from the traditional incandescents but they still look very nice.

n2ize
04-12-2013, 12:36 PM

Actually many moons ago I was a bit like that guy. Except I wasn't fooling around with radiaoactivity. I was working with Chemistry. During my last couple of years of high school I developed a profound interest in Chemistry. In addition to chem lab in school I started "borrowing" small amounts of chemicals from school and doing experiments at home using jars for beakers, candles and alcohol lamps for heat, etc. Eventually I found lab and chemical supply companies where I could buy my own stuff. So I started acquiring beakers, flasks, condensers, a bunsen burner, a balance, tons of chemicals of all type and eventually I found myself with a pretty well equipped home lab. I never made anything particularly dangerous or anything but, things started to become a bit scary when I started playing around with organic chemistry and trying to make some more complex substances. Some of the things I was reacting produced some nasty (and toxic) fumes, were super-highly flammable, etc. They were things that would require a fully equipped lab with a fume hood and proper safety equipment. I stopped using my home lab when I got into college and started taking chem courses and had access to the labs there. Also, as a Chem major I had to take a lot of required Math courses and I started finding I was far more interested in the Math courses than the Chemistry courses. So I switched from being a Chem major to a Math major.

Alll this and I wasn't even a boy scout. :)

NQ6U
04-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Actually many moons ago I was a bit like that guy.

I was just joshing with you, John, and besides, the only reason I'm not more like him myself is lack of education.

n2ize
04-12-2013, 01:57 PM
I was just joshing with you, John, and besides, the only reason I'm not more like him myself is lack of education.

I know you are kidding around. But, when I read the article about the "Radioactive Boy Scout" he sort of reminded me a little bit of myself. Only difference I didn't mess around with radioactive stuff. Only experimenting I ever did with radioactivity was when I built a Wilson Cloud Chambre as a science fair project. I used a radium watch dial as the radioactive particle source and some dry ice donated by the local ice cream man to produce the cloud inside the chambre.

WØTKX
04-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Hey man, I did the cloud chamber for Science Fair too! Used a little yellow uranium ore. I also made a spectroscope, with a cheap B&W camera that could be fitted to the eyepiece that recorded the absorption bands. Some of the bands were a little faint, so a time exposure worked well. Had to have an adult around to use the Bunsen burner for the live demos.

Got blue ribbons for both.

N8YX
04-12-2013, 05:46 PM
I am a big fan of Philips bicycle lighting, especially after having tested one of these out on our local bikeway earlier in the week:

http://www.mea.philips.com/c/bicycle%20lamps/saferide-bf60l60balx1/prd/

The lights are made in dynamo, e-Bike, internal and external battery formats. I bought a Saferide 60 (dynamo) with a Saferide 80 (internal NiMH batteries) as a handlebar-mounted backup. The 60 is mounted to my Fargo's fork crown via a modified Supernova Unimount - which is much better than the Philips mounting scheme. The 80 can go back and forth between our hybrid road bikes. Hers is going to get a dynohub-equipped front wheel so the battery-powered Philips will serve more as a backup than a primary light source.

The Philips units put more usable light on the trail itself than do our Supernova E3s, but the E3 really works well on singletrack at night: It illuminates everything. I figure a less blinding beam might make more friends on the path - people think I'm a car when they see me coming after dark.

Sadly, Philips pulled out of the U.S. bicycle market last year and everything I need must come from overseas. I do a LOT of business these days with ChainReaction, Petracycles and Bike24.

KJ3N
04-12-2013, 05:53 PM
During my last couple of years of high school I developed a profound interest in Chemistry.

:cool2: :cool2:

I don't doubt it.

:rofl:

K7SGJ
04-12-2013, 08:53 PM

I don't doubt it.

A lot of us were, and some went on to be a Meth Major.

PA5COR
04-13-2013, 01:52 AM
Phillips is also strong in automotive lighting.
Replaced the bog standard halogen 55/60 watt in the car with their new 100% more light Vision xtreme, didn't want to refurbish to the set of Xenon aftermarket H4 i still have.
Still an option though...

n2ize
04-13-2013, 06:16 AM

I don't doubt it.

Back then I was high or stoned or tripping 24/7/365. Everyone was back then. It was a way of life. Even many of the teachers. I remember this one newly hired teacher. She used to smoke a bone every morning before coming into the school building. She would also get re-stoned during lunch time and she used to take acid on the weekends. Best damned English teacher in the school too. Principal was just drunk most of the time so he didn't want to make any waves. Chemistry teacher explained how virtually every controlled drug known is synthesized or extracted, from LSD to the hard drugs. He was also a mega stoner.

kb2vxa
04-14-2013, 09:03 AM
"...people think I'm a car when they see me coming after dark."

Those are the people I avoid, so stupid they suck the IQ right out of me.

The chemistry teacher is right, and so was my attending physician in the hospital I spent some time in a few years ago. We had a little discussion that ended with "Doctors have the best drugs, and they're LEGAL." Well, right to a small point, at the time there was no such thing as medical marijuana in New Jersey, my drug of choice back in the daze.

KG4CGC
04-15-2013, 12:00 PM

Has anyone made a condom joke yet?

NQ6U
04-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Has anyone made a condom joke yet?

Someone has now.

KG4CGC
04-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Someone has now.

Where? I missed it.

NQ6U
04-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Where? I missed it.

Missed what?

KG4CGC
04-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Missed what?

Huh?

NQ6U
04-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Huh?

I forget. What were we talking about again?

kb2vxa
04-15-2013, 06:58 PM
A lighted condom... I think.

n2ize
04-15-2013, 09:05 PM
"...people think I'm a car when they see me coming after dark."

Those are the people I avoid, so stupid they suck the IQ right out of me.

The chemistry teacher is right, and so was my attending physician in the hospital I spent some time in a few years ago. We had a little discussion that ended with "Doctors have the best drugs, and they're LEGAL." Well, right to a small point, at the time there was no such thing as medical marijuana in New Jersey, my drug of choice back in the daze.

The teachers that got stoned were the best. And the female teachers that used to like to get stoned were always the nicest looking ones also.

K7SGJ
04-15-2013, 10:08 PM
And the girls all look better at closing time, too.

kb2vxa
04-16-2013, 11:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMuHHCWFkJs

PA5COR
04-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Lot of text