PDA

View Full Version : Changing the sprockets on my Ninja

N2CHX
04-10-2013, 08:36 PM
So my Ninja has been sent off to a local shop for spring service. I've decided I don't want to handle the really big jobs anymore. Too much work and I don't have all the right tools for some things...

Anyway, last summer my trip to Pittsburgh, half of which was in the rain, ruined my chain. So I'm getting a new chain and sprockets put on it. Opted for a high-performance set and also changing the ratio from 14/45 to 15/42. This should give the bike a lot more room at highway speeds without screaming along at 12000 RPM. I've read that this gear combo will bring it down to about 8500 RPM at 75 MPH.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs when I get it back. It's supposed to be done Friday.

VE7DCW
04-10-2013, 08:43 PM
Kelli....... I did this with an old Suzuki Motorcycle I had when I was 16 years old.......found the sprocket in a MC junkyard.... I can assure you that you will have better performance with the swap out!! :agree:

N2CHX
04-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Kelli....... I did this with an old Suzuki Motorcycle I had when I was 16 years old.......found the sprocket in a MC junkyard.... I can assure you that you will have better performance with the swap out!! :agree:

That's cool :)

I've heard some people complain that it doesn't have enough power, but I've always thought that first gear was almost unnecessary so I doubt it will really be an issue for me.

NA4BH
04-10-2013, 08:57 PM
I want to know how those motorcycles can be ridden? I would be in traction after about 5 minutes of riding one. I am envious.

N8YX
04-10-2013, 09:07 PM
That gear combo should be good for 60-70MPH speeds but you're going to be a little bit slower out of the hole. If anything you can always swap the wheel sprocket yourself should you want to experiment with overall gear ratios.

Not so easy to do with a shaft-driven bike such as the Valkyrie or Concours.

N2CHX
04-10-2013, 09:09 PM
I want to know how those motorcycles can be ridden? I would be in traction after about 5 minutes of riding one. I am envious.

The last five vertebrae in my back are virtually fused together already so I don't feel a thing lol. Seriously, yeah it can be uncomfortable, but I personally tolerate a lot of discomfort. That and when I'm on a long stretch of road without a lot of traffic around, I usually lay right down onto the gas tank and put my back feet up on the rear footpegs. In that position, you're just kinda laying down on your stomach along the length of the bike and it's pretty comfy, as long as a bump doesn't kick one of your feet off the pegs. I gotta say though, riding all the way to Pittsburgh and back kinda beat the crap out of me.

N2CHX
04-10-2013, 09:11 PM
That gear combo should be good for 60-70MPH speeds but you're going to be a little bit slower out of the hole. If anything you can always swap the wheel sprocket yourself should you want to experiment with overall gear ratios.

Not so easy to do with a shaft-driven bike such as the Valkyrie or Concours.

That's what I've heard, but I've always felt my bike has more than enough take-off power so I'm hoping it's not a big deal.