PDA

View Full Version : I want some of what this guy is smoking..

KJ3N
04-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Good day.

I am in search of the following:

1. Icom IC-910H

Must have DSP and 1.2 GHz module installed.
Must be in working condition - a few scratches are acceptable.
Must have all standard equipment as when purchased new including user manual.
Maximum purchase price of $700 including shipping.
Prefer seller be local to or near Virginia so that I may drive to see the transceiver.

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?386550-Icom-IC-910H-Radio-Shack-HTX-10-Standard-C528A-Icom-CT-17

That's just too funny... :rofl: :rofl:

You'll be lucky to get a basic IC-910H for that price.

NQ6U
04-06-2013, 06:45 PM
Scammers have been plaguing QRZ lately. They work by offering people who have posted "wanted" ads great deals, getting paid via Western Union and then (of course) disappearing with the money. The ad in question might be part of an ongoing attempt on the part of the Zed management to try and track these guys down.

K7SGJ
04-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Scammers that have been plaguing QRZ lately. They work by offering people who have posted "wanted" ads great deals, getting paid via Western Union and then (of course) disappearing with the money. The ad in question might be part of an ongoing attempt on the part of the Zed management to try and track these guys down.

Offer him a deal on that AC cord you posted last week. It'll fit the IC-910H, and it didn't have any scratches, either.

NA4BH
04-06-2013, 11:13 PM
He should have said HELLO.

K7SGJ
04-06-2013, 11:19 PM
How about a nice Bell APU.

NQ6U
04-06-2013, 11:30 PM
How about a nice Bell APU.

Do they come in pink?

Seriously, here's a link to the o-ffical QRZ post regarding (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?385521-QRZ-needs-your-help-LETS-CATCH-THIS-GUY!) the scam in question.

n6hcm
04-07-2013, 02:18 AM
the only way scammers get to succeed is when people want something for nothing.

N8YX
04-07-2013, 06:50 AM

Which, unfortunately, is how most hams operate.

K7SGJ
04-07-2013, 09:14 AM

The Hams' Creed "Buy Waylo Sell Wayhi"

KJ3N
04-07-2013, 09:37 AM
The ad in question might be part of an ongoing attempt on the part of the Zed management to try and track these guys down.

Doubt it. The other 3 items requested in the ad are close to normal pricing. Plus, the willingness to drive to meet, tends to make me think its not a fishing attempt.

In any case, I've got a 910 that would fit his requirements, but he's nowhere near a price I'd be willing to sell it for...... if I were willing to sell it at all. (I'm not.)

kb2vxa
04-07-2013, 09:41 AM
"Chances are, judging by the level of technical accuracy in the FOR SALE listings, that the hacker is a HAM, and is probably right here among us, and is probably reading this message."
This is where the story gets interesting, in a diabolical sort of way.
Hello (sic) scammer, time to change your M. O. before we catch you. This service brought to you by duh Zed.

Step inside! Hello! We've the most amazing show
You'll enjoy it all we know
Step inside! Step Inside!
Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends
We're so glad you could attend
Come inside! Come inside!
Come and see the show! Come and see the show! Come and see the show!

Appropriately Karn Evil 9 First Impression

N8YX
04-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Of course, we have the ever-present 'hacker contingent' chiming in within the thread...gonna use all those neat pen-test toolz and skillz we've acquired to run down the perps!

However...we're forgetting the fact that running such "exercises" against online resources when you don't have prior (written) authorization from the owners of such will possibly put you in as much legal hot water as the scammers themselves eventually may face.

W3WN
04-08-2013, 08:48 AM
"Chances are, judging by the level of technical accuracy in the FOR SALE listings, that the hacker is a HAM, and is probably right here among us, and is probably reading this message."
This is where the story gets interesting, in a diabolical sort of way.
Hello (sic) scammer, time to change your M. O. before we catch you. This service brought to you by duh Zed.

Step inside! Hello! We've the most amazing show
You'll enjoy it all we know
Step inside! Step Inside!
Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends
We're so glad you could attend
Come inside! Come inside!
Come and see the show! Come and see the show! Come and see the show!

Appropriately Karn Evil 9 First ImpressionThat's Karn Evil 9, First Impression, Part 2. Emerson Lake & Palmer, Brain Salad Surgery, Side 2. One of my favorite albums of all time.

I know it well. Back when I was a radio DJ in college, that was my theme song. Oh, those were the days, my friends, I thought they'd never end...

N2CHX
04-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Ah yes... Whenever something stupid happens on the zed, it must be a hacker :spit:

W3WN
04-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Ah yes... Whenever something stupid happens on the zed, it must be a hacker :spit:Well, on the one hand, they laid out the case for the phishing scheme fairly well.

On the other hand, by publicly revealing as much detail as they did, they may have scared off the miscreant. For a few weeks at least.

K7SGJ
04-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Well, on the one hit as a personal challengeand, they laid out the case for the phishing scheme fairly well.

On the other hand, by publicly revealing as much detail as they did, they may have scared off the miscreant. For a few weeks at least.

I'm not so sure. Someone may take it as a challenge. Someone smarter than the people over there, anyway. I'll get my dog right on it.

kb2vxa
04-08-2013, 03:04 PM
"That's Karn Evil 9, First Impression, Part 2."

Actually the first 3 lines are from part 1, the next 4 from part 2. It describes the typical Zed antics pretty well. (;->)

Yeah, always hackers firkin around with the resident crackers, whackers and fudge packers. DILLIGAF
I don't care what you say - we never played by the same rules anyway.
I won't be there anymore
Get out of my way - let me by
I got better things to do with my time
I don't care anymore
I don't care anymore

kb2vxa
04-08-2013, 03:44 PM
"That's Karn Evil 9, First Impression, Part 2."

The first three lines are from part 1, the next four are from part 2. ELP was great but overproduced, too much echo and it's at its worst on Jerusalem making it difficult to understand. If I were to have a theme song it would be Zappa, I Am The Slime. (;->)

Yeah, always hackers on teh zed but mostly crackers, whackers and fudge packers.