PDA

View Full Version : Terror on the Highway

W3WN
04-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Little Miss Field Day got her learner's permit this afternoon, down at the PennDOT Drivers License center.

In 6 months, when she's allowed to go for her license, I expect to stop buying radios & radio gear. With the increase in car insurance, I won't be able to afford it...

K7SGJ
04-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Whose going to do the teaching?

N2CHX
04-06-2013, 03:48 PM
All I can say is, good luck. My son will be getting his permit in October.

WØTKX
04-06-2013, 04:16 PM
When I got my permit (it was actually a farm permit, at 14), I was told that when I got my liscence in two years:

1) You have to buy your own car for personal use, the agricultural use vehicles are for business only.

2) You have to pay for the insurance, either your own policy or the extra on the family non farm vehicles.

So, I was already working, and I started saving. Had no choice, but it was a good thing.

W3WN
04-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Whose going to do the teaching?NOT ME.

The high school at present doesn't offer a Driver's Ed program. Well, technically they do, but the instructor passed away a few months ago and was never replaced. So we're looking at driving schools.

NA4BH
04-06-2013, 05:38 PM
NOT ME.

The high school at present doesn't offer a Driver's Ed program. Well, technically they do, but the instructor passed away a few months ago and was never replaced. So we're looking at driving schools.

Good call on the driving school. You should get a discount on insurance too.

WA2OLZ
04-06-2013, 08:09 PM
I sure hope she is better than the run of the mill average eastern PA drivers.:-D Is it true PA has no keep right except to pass law?

Seriously, she will be fine, I'm sure. It the guys we need to worry about.

W3WN
04-06-2013, 09:48 PM
I sure hope she is better than the run of the mill average eastern PA drivers.:-D Is it true PA has no keep right except to pass law?

Seriously, she will be fine, I'm sure. It the guys we need to worry about.
So do I. Especially since we're in Western PA.

And no, that's not true. You are required to keep right except to pass. It's in the manual... I saw her studying it, in fact.

KJ3N
04-06-2013, 09:50 PM
I'm just glad I'm over 200 miles away.

K7SGJ
04-06-2013, 10:35 PM
When I got my permit (it was actually a farm permit, at 14), I was told that when I got my liscence in two years:

1) You have to buy your own car for personal use, the agricultural use vehicles are for business only.

2) You have to pay for the insurance, either your own policy or the extra on the family non farm vehicles.

So, I was already working, and I started saving. Had no choice, but it was a good thing.

I had to do the same deal, minus the ag part. I saved and saved and when I turned 16, I bought a 52 Chevy for $75 (it looked it), and paid $280 for a years insurance. By todays standards, it isn't much, but for a 16 year old kid back then, it was a fortune.

W7XF
04-07-2013, 10:29 AM
I'm just glad I'm over 200 miles away.
^^^^^^+100000000

KB3LAZ
04-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Little Miss Field Day got her learner's permit this afternoon, down at the PennDOT Drivers License center.

In 6 months, when she's allowed to go for her license, I expect to stop buying radios & radio gear. With the increase in car insurance, I won't be able to afford it...

You will get through it, my parents did. Now they have new nightmares, me driving in Spain. TBH, that is more my nightmare.

W7XF
04-07-2013, 10:37 AM
You will get through it, my parents did. Now they have new nightmares, me driving in Spain. TBH, that is more my nightmare.Just mash the gas Trav-a-licious!!

KB3LAZ
04-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Just mash the gas Trav-a-licious!!

Id rather mash some skulls. I understand something now, road rage was born in Europe.

ki4itv
04-07-2013, 11:03 AM

My youngest just got his learner's last week.
I'll need extra meds until we get this "over-steer and put your foot in it" tendency under control.
Trying to get him in tune with feeling the road and feedback from the vehicle is proving a little slow on the take. Makes for some very tense moments. :yes:

Good luck Ron. I feel your pain.

NQ6U
04-07-2013, 11:10 AM
'll need extra meds until we get this "over-steer and put your foot in it" tendency under control.
Trying to get him in tune with feeling the road and feedback from the vehicle is proving a little slow on the take. Makes for some very tense moments.

Ahem. Think about what I've been doing for the last year and a half—all the same stuff, only in a vehicle that's 65 feet (20m) long and weighs 50,000 lbs (23,000 kg). With ten forward gears and air brakes, towing a 48 foot (14m) long trailer.

ki4itv
04-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Ahem. Think about what I've been doing for the last year and a half—all the same stuff, only in a vehicle that's 65 feet (20m) long and weighs 50,000 lbs (23,000 kg). With ten forward gears and air brakes, towing a 48 foot (14m) long trailer.

Yeah, Carl...you definitely get the nerves of steel award for this.
No doubt.

NQ6U
04-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Yeah, Carl...you definitely get the nerves of steel award for this.
No doubt.

Nerves of steel, brain of stone.

K7SGJ
04-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Nerves of steel, brain of stoned.

You missed a letter.

W7XF
04-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Brother Ron and Sister Kelli....Get ready to shop for car insurance...i rermember when my stepbrother turned 16... my parent's and my insurance non-renewed.....and when we found a carrier that would have us, he had to be excluded on the policies..... not a big deal for me then..as my car was paid off...but parents' car almost got repossessed since the bank did not allow excluded drivers on the insurance.

W3WN
04-07-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm just glad I'm over 200 miles away.You say that now.

We'll be in OCMD this summer, and we'll be heading through DE on the way to visit my mom in West Trenton.

Let's see... is that cave of yours so secret that it's not in the GPS? We shall see... :evil:

W3WN
04-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Brother Ron and Sister Kelli....Get ready to shop for car insurance...i rermember when my stepbrother turned 16... my parent's and my insurance non-renewed.....and when we found a carrier that would have us, he had to be excluded on the policies..... not a big deal for me then..as my car was paid off...but parents' car almost got repossessed since the bank did not allow excluded drivers on the insurance.Well, the good news is, I work for an insurance broker. If Erie drops us, we'll find something else.

They didn't when Bud turned 16. (Actually 17, he didn't get his permit right away either). The problems came later...

KJ3N
04-08-2013, 08:16 AM
Let's see... is that cave of yours so secret that it's not in the GPS?

Depends on what address you're using.

We shall see... :evil:

Good luck with that, if you're using QRZ info.

wa6mhz
04-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Does she have a car lined up yet? Once she has her license, she will want her own car!

W3WN
04-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Does she have a car lined up yet? Once she has her license, she will want her own car!Well, she's decided she doesn't want the one I drive.

A 1999 Olds Alero four door.

NQ6U
04-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Well, she's decided she doesn't want the one I drive.

A 1999 Olds Alero four door.

I'm not surprised. That is her father's Oldsmobile, after all.

NA4BH
04-08-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm not surprised. That is her father's Oldsmobile, after all.

LOL......... Some of us get it

n2ize
04-08-2013, 12:51 PM
I knew a guy who got his permit while in high school. Cops found him a few days later in the car by himself racing through the streets, driving onto sidewalks, across peoples lawns and then doing burnouts in the street. The cops stopped him and demanded to see his license. He reached pulled out his learners permit and handed it to the cop. The cops looked at the permit, looked at him, and then ripped up the permit. Then patiently called for a tow/impound to pick up the car. Needless to say, getting his drivers license or even another permit was postponed for quite some time. Also, his father wasn;t too happy when he found out what happened and also had to pay the tow and impound bill in order to get his car back.

NQ6U
04-08-2013, 01:00 PM
LOL......... Some of us get it

Mostly us old farts. You know—the kind of people who drive Oldsmobiles.

NA4BH
04-08-2013, 01:05 PM
I knew a guy who got his permit while in high school. Cops found him a few days later in the car by himself racing through the streets, driving onto sidewalks, across peoples lawns and then doing burnouts in the street. The cops stopped him and demanded to see his license. He reached pulled out his learners permit and handed it to the cop. The cops looked at the permit, looked at him, and then ripped up the permit. Then patiently called for a tow/impound to pick up the car. Needless to say, getting his drivers license or even another permit was postponed for quite some time. Also, his father wasn;t too happy when he found out what happened and also had to pay the tow and impound bill in order to get his car back.

How many years was it before you got your license back?

NQ6U
04-08-2013, 01:10 PM

To this day, John is still taking the subway.

n2ize
04-08-2013, 01:42 PM

Never got it back. To this date I cannot drive. Not even a horse drawn buggy. I either have to use public transportation, cabs, hired cars, or get rides from others. Once I did those burnouts across lawns I was finished. :snicker:

WØTKX
04-08-2013, 02:36 PM
http://www.jumpingfrog.com/images/ads-oldsmobile/59old006.jpg

XE1/N5AL
04-09-2013, 12:23 PM
^^^A "Tube with Handles" Linear Look?

W3WN
04-09-2013, 01:51 PM
I'm not surprised. That is her father's Oldsmobile, after all.And yet, she's a Beatles fan.

(Let's see how many get THAT obscure reference)

...and strictly speaking, that car is only titled in my wife's name, so it's technically her MOTHER'S Oldsmobile...

W7XF
04-09-2013, 05:09 PM
It could be worse.....What a hooptie!! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ford_Pinto.jpg)

VE7DCW
04-09-2013, 05:23 PM
I've got a terrific driving record.......when I was able to drive legally,believe it or not,when I obtained my learner's licence at age 16,my mother was the one who taught me to drive in her car...... I passed my road test with flying colours!
That was 37 years ago...... and i've got a clean driving record to show for it.My mother passed away from cancer in 1985..... needless to say I still miss that lady :(

WØTKX
04-09-2013, 07:53 PM
And yet, she's a Beatles fan.

(Let's see how many get THAT obscure reference)

...and strictly speaking, that car is only titled in my wife's name, so it's technically her MOTHER'S Oldsmobile...

Rubber Soul. I'd LOVE to hear her do a Beatles song. :yes:

http://youtu.be/W7dkn1ZnIPk

W3WN
04-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Rubber Soul. I'd LOVE to hear her do a Beatles song. :yes:

http://youtu.be/W7dkn1ZnIPkSo would I. I'll have to record her on the sly the next time she's singing one.

But that's not the obscure reference I had in mind.

WØTKX
04-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Really? Well my guess wasn't very obscure... :chin:

It's driving me mad, it's driving me mad...

:lol:

VE7DCW
04-09-2013, 09:55 PM
My sister's daughter i've just found out has also reached the age of 16 and obtained her learners licence as well.....my sister for some reason has warned me to stay off the sidewalks! :lol:

NQ6U
04-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Baby, you can drive my car.
Yes, you're going to be a star.
Baby, you can drive my car
And Baby, I love you.

Beep beep em beep beep, yeah.

VE7DCW
04-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Baby, you can drive my car.
Yes, you're going to be a star.
Baby, you can drive my car
And Baby, I love you.

Beep beep em beep beep, yeah.

Remember "the stars of 45" insult of that song? ........ nothing can beat the Beatles!! :yes:

NA4BH
04-09-2013, 10:27 PM
My sister's daughter i've just found out has also reached the age of 16 and obtained her learners licence as well.....my sister for some reason has warned me to stay off the sidewalks! :lol:

That reminds me of something a friend shared with me:

He said his dad got so drunk at the corner bar that when he drove home (it was socially accepted way way back then) on the sidewalk. His wife was informed about his actions before he could make it home. When he got there she asked him "Why did he drive home in that condition". His reply "I was too drunk to walk".

VE7DCW
04-09-2013, 10:31 PM
That reminds me of something a friend shared with me:

He said his dad got so drunk at the corner bar that when he drove home (it was socially accepted way way back then) on the sidewalk. His wife was informed about his actions before he could make it home. When he got there she asked him "Why did he drive home in that condition". His reply "I was too drunk to walk".

I'm guessing there is logic to that ..........:shock:

W2NAP
04-10-2013, 01:29 AM
glad I live in Indiana...

W3WN
04-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Really? Well my guess wasn't very obscure... :chin:

It's driving me mad, it's driving me mad...

:lol:Well, at least it's not driving you sane...

OK, I'll give you a hint: It has to do with the aforementioned slogan. And a particular TV spot for it. Circa 1989 I believe.

wa6mhz
04-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Now she can drive U to Dayton!

W3WN
04-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Now she can drive U to Dayton!What? I'd have no money left to spend on toys! (er, quality vintage electronics for the shack)

kb2vxa
04-11-2013, 09:40 AM
"Remember "the stars of 45" insult of that song? ........ nothing can beat the Beatles!!"

I never heard of Stars on 45 until now and I agree, YUCH! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6mxMjs1iNo And I thought the Rutles were bad? EEESH! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePaHG6g7uFw

Interesting how the Stars and I have something in common, creating dance medleys. Once upon a time in a Disco Daze using two turntables and a mixer feeding a tape deck I'd select instrumental dance tracks with the same tempo and beat fading them back and forth and changing tracks from time to time for as long as the tape held out. That confused everybody wondering what the heck they were listening to, when I did it with songs having vocal tracks confusion became insanity, lyrics got mixed up beyond belief and some turned out quite funny.

W3WN
04-11-2013, 10:34 AM
OK, I guess the reference was a little TOO obscure. Or I'm dating myself... wouldn't be the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TFRxwmMwg4

Ahem.

Got to take LMFD out for a short time last night. She has to learn two things very quickly, or what I'll be driving will NOT be her mother's Oldsmobile...
(1) Ease up on the gas!!
(2) When not accelerating, rest your right foot on the brake pedal, so that if you have to stop, you STOP!

We were practicing at her church's parking lot across the street... short practice, we did it after a rainstorm and then stopped when the kids started showing up for Wednesday PM CCD classes. Her priest, Father Kevin, came through the parking lot (to unlock the education building) while we were out there. The man's not dumb... he saw who was driving the car... he didn't run, but he definitely picked up the pace!!

WØTKX
04-11-2013, 11:42 AM
OIC. Never saw that commercial, or noticed it.

kb2vxa
04-11-2013, 02:41 PM
EASE UP ON THE GAS!!!

KJ3N
04-11-2013, 03:38 PM
EASE UP ON THE GAS!!!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7zl1vsdtS1rplo8do1_500.jpg

kb2vxa
04-11-2013, 08:27 PM