PDA

View Full Version : Boatanchor Maintainence

koØm
03-31-2013, 11:47 AM
Well, it's that time of year again, the Yaesu FT-101E needs servicing. I will strip the skins off of it and, take a spray bottle of 91% rubbing alcohol and spray the mode switch, band switch, volume control and every other pot and switch that is accesable; it will then sit for a couple of days to dry out.

I just noticed that on one band (didn't get around to checking all of them), that after the transceiver is keyed, the receive is "muted". No matter what I do, the receive is very low, after being powered off a couple of hours, the receive is normal again.

I'm hoping it's just a mode switch problem.

K7SGJ
03-31-2013, 12:49 PM
The spray you are using may cut the grease and buildup, but you might want to consider using Deoxit or Deoxiid, or something similar. It will clean, lubricate, and even slightly polish the contacts. Use it in the controls as well. You will probably find you don't have to worry about them as often. Just be judicious in the application. A little goes a long way, and too much, while not really harmful, can get messy.

WA2OLZ
04-01-2013, 04:29 PM
The spray you are using may cut the grease and buildup, but you might want to consider using Deoxit or Deoxiid, or something similar. It will clean, lubricate, and even slightly polish the contacts. Use it in the controls as well. You will probably find you don't have to worry about them as often. Just be judicious in the application. A little goes a long way, and too much, while not really harmful, can get messy.

Or, as I found out, too much Deoxit can do bad things. My Kenwood T599A was working OK, albeit with some noisy pots and the function switch got hard to turn to the most clockwise position. Being guilty of the old American adage that "if a little is good, a lot is better", I applied a liberal dosage of Deoxit. Bad move. I tried to load it up after a few days of drying and nothing, nada, zippy, zilch AVC. I have no clue how to troubleshoot these mostly solid state rigs so it is dead in the water.

Judicious is the key word, IMHO.

Jack
WA2OLZ

PS: Anybody work on these hybrids that can repair my mistakes???

WØTKX
04-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Which Deoxit formulation? The regular stuff (like that found at Radio Shack) is not good for potentiometers. Deoxit F5 was the right stuff, for me. At this point you may need to flush out the mess before using the correct formulation.

I suggest sending them an email, they have always helped me out. to use, and just use a little at a time. I've had great luck with it in radios and sound boards. http://www.caig.com/

NQ6U
04-01-2013, 07:05 PM
DeOxit is conductive so it can cause havoc if you over-spray and then leave it in place. I always flush away any extra with some isopropyl alcohol from a wash bottle, then blow out the alcohol with compressed air.

N8YX
04-02-2013, 04:55 AM
Another thing to watch for with equipment which uses ganged rotary switches whose wafers are of non-ceramic construction is that the wafers can wick up DeOxIt or similar cleaners and swell. They may be rendered useless.

Sparingly is the key here. Use the applicator tip of the bottle or a syringe to put a small amount of the 100% solution directly on each switch contact to be cleaned and swipe it up with a cotton swab after rotating the switch several times.

Then (as previous contributors have mentioned) rinse with alcohol.

WA2OLZ
04-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. I'm going to try an isopropyl bath but fear I may have destroyed the transmitter.

I hate it when I do dumb things like this!

koØm
04-02-2013, 11:54 AM
DeOxit is conductive so it can cause havoc if you over-spray and then leave it in place. I always flush away any extra with some isopropyl alcohol from a wash bottle, then blow out the alcohol with compressed air.

.....which brings us full circle.....

Isopropyl alcohol (known as "Film Remover" in the Xerographic service trade) is as safe and as cheap as you get. I don't know which formula in what spray can is "Safe" but, you cannot go wrong with it (91 % Rubbing Alcohol) and working the contacts back and forths......Allow to dry throughly.