PDA

View Full Version : old-timey reality tv

n6hcm
03-30-2013, 03:15 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1002473/index.htm

N8YX
03-30-2013, 05:16 AM
Very cool article, Hank.

Keeping with the nature of "sports", however, perhaps there ought to be a radio-biathlon contest:

Sprint a mile with an FT-817, PRC-70 or similar along with simple wire antennas in your backpack, set up then operate for an hour. Tear down then repeat.

Winner determined by who covered the most distance and who makes the most contacts. Note there is no Hoveround class in this event.

kb2vxa
03-30-2013, 08:26 AM
I don't see what contesting has to do with old time reality TV but oh what the hell.

"Outside the U.S. Katashi Nose, KH6IJ, of Hawaii swept both the voice and code contests for the first time ever."

Last time I checked Hawaii was still the 50th state... WTF?

I mentioned engineer's tea before being equivalent to battery acid and pissolene being somewhere between hazmat and nuclear waste but now my attention has been drawn to contest coffee.

W3WN
03-30-2013, 09:24 AM
< snip >
"Outside the U.S. Katashi Nose, KH6IJ, of Hawaii swept both the voice and code contests for the first time ever."

Last time I checked Hawaii was still the 50th state... WTF?
< snip >Oh, that's easy.

The article is from 1958. Hawaii didn't become a state until 1959.

kb2vxa
04-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Are you telling me US territories with US callsigns aren't part of the US?

W3WN
04-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Are you telling me US territories with US callsigns aren't part of the US?Not at all.

At the time the article was written, Hawaii was still a territory. Therefore, for the purposes of the contest, it was considered DX, as was Alaska at the time. As is the case today with the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Northern Marianas.

n6hcm
04-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Are you telling me US territories with US callsigns aren't part of the US?

and, in fact, unincorporated territories of the US *aren't* part of the US. So: American Samoa ... not part of the US. Puerto Rico ... not part of the US. they have unusual nationality and citizenship requirements (Puerto Ricans get citizenship at birth by an Act of Congress; American Samoans never have US citizenship).

W3WN
04-02-2013, 08:39 PM
So, you're telling me that Troy Polamalu is not a citizen?

I believe you, but YOU get to tell him that...

kb2vxa
04-03-2013, 01:14 PM
OK, I'll accept the fact that the ARRL has whacky contest rules and the US has whacky citizenship rules. Both are generally and overall whacky so what else is news? I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

K7SGJ
04-03-2013, 05:36 PM
OK, I'll accept the fact that the ARRL has whacky contest rules and the US has whacky citizenship rules. Both are generally and overall whacky so what else is news? I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

Bring a flashlight or you won't see shit.

kb2vxa
04-03-2013, 11:09 PM
No problem, I don't have to see it. At -173C it's frozen solid and doesn't stick to my shoes.