PDA

View Full Version : Strange Images on Google's Street View.

N2NH
03-29-2013, 09:13 PM
As Seen on HuffPo.

UFOs, Aliens beaming down into New Jersey, Horse-faced boy, the incredible chia-man and a naked woman amongst the wonders...

LINK HERE. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/28/fukushima-google-street-view_n_2971098.html#slide=722163)(SCROLL DOWN TO BOTTOM)

The backstory on one image:

A misty shape, bearing a distinct similarity to the movie alien, was captured behind a bush next to a mysterious beam of light.

The spooky snap was caught by Google image cameras in the town of Berkeley Heights in New Jersey.

Some claim the image could be evidence of life in outer space while others point to a simple trick of the light.

The 'ET' alien was photographed on Diamond Hill Road, a semi-rural location about eight miles from Morristown Municipal Airport, New Jersey and 30 miles from the bright lights of New York City.

Malcolm Robinson, head of the Strange Phenomena Investigations, described the image as "the first of its kind".

Warren?

ET? Or just some loose pixels? (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/5042502/ET-tracked-down-on-Google-Street-View.html)

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01371/et-google_1371698c.jpg

K7SGJ
03-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Swamp gas

NQ6U
03-29-2013, 11:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv041-dAnqs

K7SGJ
03-29-2013, 11:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv041-dAnqs

Didn't he also do those STD films for the Army back in the 50s?

VE7DCW
03-30-2013, 01:17 AM
All you can really say......if you can't trust Google.....who are you going to trust? :omg:

:spin::spin:

kb2vxa
03-30-2013, 09:30 AM
It's hard to say, Berzerkley Heights is a strange place with a long history of paranormal activity and UFO sightings. It could be the ghost of Irb W2VJZ since it's not far east of Liberty Corner, he traveled 200 miles on his 2 wheel 10M mobile in one day and didn't think twice about it. If you listen to 3885 AM in the morning sometimes you can hear the faint sound of wind chimes. More likely since Diamond Hill Road marks the western end of one part of several Bell Labs/Lucent Technology properties most likely it's ET phoning home using a fiber optics laser on steroids pointed at his home planet. On the other hand it could be Galaxy Being 2 the sequel, considering how Lucent is an R&D center the cutting edge of communications technology.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Galaxy_Being

Don't be fooled by locations given in the article, it's the northern end of Diamond Hill next to Lucent that's about 8 miles from Morristown Municipal, from there it runs south all the way to the Jean Shepherd Highway, Rte. 22 in Scotch Plains. Aliens wouldn't have the slightest interest in the airport since the biggest thing there is a Cessna or twin engine Beech. In fact they'd avoid ALL airports big and small in New Jersey, they're used by every government agency from the county OEM to the FBI.

N8GAV
03-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Maybe not so strange?

http://www.pressherald.com/news/nationworld/fbi-memo-recounted-flying-saucers_2013-03-30.html

N8YX
03-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Swamp gas

Weather balloon.

NQ6U
03-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Weather balloon.

Dry cleaning bags full of marsh gas.

N8YX
03-30-2013, 12:45 PM

K7SGJ
03-30-2013, 03:42 PM
It's hard to say, Berzerkley Heights is a strange place with a long history of paranormal activity and UFO sightings. It could be the ghost of Irb W2VJZ since it's not far east of Liberty Corner, he traveled 200 miles on his 2 wheel 10M mobile in one day and didn't think twice about it. If you listen to 3885 AM in the morning sometimes you can hear the faint sound of wind chimes. More likely since Diamond Hill Road marks the western end of one part of several Bell Labs/Lucent Technology properties most likely it's ET phoning home using a fiber optics laser on steroids pointed at his home planet. On the other hand it could be Galaxy Being 2 the sequel, considering how Lucent is an R&D center the cutting edge of communications technology.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Galaxy_Being

Don't be fooled by locations given in the article, it's the northern end of Diamond Hill next to Lucent that's about 8 miles from Morristown Municipal, from there it runs south all the way to the Jean Shepherd Highway, Rte. 22 in Scotch Plains. Aliens wouldn't have the slightest interest in the airport since the biggest thing there is a Cessna or twin engine Beech. In fact they'd avoid ALL airports big and small in New Jersey, they're used by every government agency from the county OEM to the FBI.

I remember seeing that the first time it aired. It was one of, if not the, first OL episode.

n2ize
03-30-2013, 05:36 PM
As Seen on HuffPo.

UFOs, Aliens beaming down into New Jersey, Horse-faced boy, the incredible chia-man and a naked woman amongst the wonders...

LINK HERE. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/28/fukushima-google-street-view_n_2971098.html#slide=722163)(SCROLL DOWN TO BOTTOM)

The backstory on one image:

Warren?

ET? Or just some loose pixels? (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/5042502/ET-tracked-down-on-Google-Street-View.html)

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01371/et-google_1371698c.jpg

A kid playing with a laser pointer.

NQ6U
03-30-2013, 05:56 PM
Hey, John, speaking of lasers, I was given a dead DVD player. I disassembled it and salvaged a few parts including the laser diode head. Is there anything interesting that can be done with one of those things?

n2ize
03-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Hey, John, speaking of lasers, I was given a dead DVD player. I disassembled it and salvaged a few parts including the laser diode head. Is there anything interesting that can be done with one of those things?

Is it both a DVD burner and a player or just a player. If it is a player only it probably has an inexpensive low power red or infrared laser diode which will give you about 5 milliwatts (about the same power as a standard red laser pointer). They can be used for some interesting projects.

If it is a burner then it has a much higher power red laser diode inside. At peak power it will give you anywhere from 200 - 300 milliwatts of power which is quite intense. properly collimated and focused it will ignite matches, burn dark paper, burn holes through CD cases, put a red dot on low clouds, etc. It will also destroy your eye (burn a hole through your retina) in a tiny fraction of a second (much faster than you can blink) so you must get a pair of laser safety goggles before experimenting with it. Even a split second reflection of the beam into the eye can cause instant eye damage. And yes, they must be laser safety goggles designed for the specific wavelength of the laser. Matter of fact safety glasses are required for any laser over 5 milliwatts.

K7SGJ
03-30-2013, 08:12 PM

Eye surgery.

N2NH
03-31-2013, 08:08 PM
A kid playing with a laser pointer.

Lasers can't be seen... except in science fiction space operas.

ki4itv
03-31-2013, 08:40 PM
...and smoke filled rooms. The better the smoke; The better the view. :cool2:

n2ize
03-31-2013, 09:32 PM

Wanna bet ? Even my lowest power 5mW green laser will produce a highly visible beam clearly visible at night. My 200 mW green lab laser will not only produce a very clear and intensely visible beam at night but will even produce a visible beam in daylight. And if it's a bit foggy at night it will produce an intensely visible beam straight on into the clouds. Even my 350 mW red lab laser will produce a clearly visible beam at night or in a dark room despite the fact that the human eye is not as sensitive to red as it is to green.

K7SGJ
03-31-2013, 10:22 PM
Dry cleaning bags full of marsh gas.

Just think, starting tomorrow, they'll have to use abril gas.

N2NH
03-31-2013, 11:09 PM
Wanna bet ? Even my lowest power 5mW green laser will produce a highly visible beam clearly visible at night. My 200 mW green lab laser will not only produce a very clear and intensely visible beam at night but will even produce a visible beam in daylight. And if it's a bit foggy at night it will produce an intensely visible beam straight on into the clouds. Even my 350 mW red lab laser will produce a clearly visible beam at night or in a dark room despite the fact that the human eye is not as sensitive to red as it is to green.

This was during the day. Look to the left of the original.

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/211013/slide_211013_722171_free.jpg

NQ6U
03-31-2013, 11:20 PM
Google Street View is full of strange artifacts caused by the method they use to take the photographs and splice them together. In an earlier version, there was only half a Ford Ranger in my driveway.

NA4BH
03-31-2013, 11:26 PM
Google Street View is full of strange artifacts caused by the method they use to take the photographs and splice them together. In an earlier version, there was only half a Ford Ranger in my driveway.

Partial repo?

n2ize
04-01-2013, 04:59 AM
This was during the day. Look to the left of the original.

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/211013/slide_211013_722171_free.jpg

But you missed where I said,
My 200 mW green lab laser will not only produce a very clear and intensely visible beam at night but will even produce a visible beam in daylight. Then we have to consider cameras respond differently than the human eye. Many digital cameras respond to infrared where as the human eye does not. In this case I would apply Occam's Razor and say that it is probably an anomaly or digital artifact. Sunlight reflected from a straight vertical object, or a digital artifact, perhaps a result of the algorithms used to produce composites, color rendering, etc. Therer are tons of these throughout google street view.

N2CHX
04-01-2013, 07:14 AM
In case you guys didn't notice, Google's ingenious process of stitching together billions of images in Street View isn't flawless. The capture of the person sitting on the bench which shows their upper body looking like a tree or a bush on the page in the OP clearly shows how the stitching process sometimes goes awry (the other captures do too, but even you guys are smart enough to realize that there aren't human/tree half-breeds running around.)

Much ado about nothing. And who said lasers can't be seen? Seriously? Have you never played with one?

KG4CGC
04-01-2013, 08:01 AM
Loose pixels? Try loose pixies.

WØTKX
04-01-2013, 09:04 AM
http://youtu.be/KO2HP8msjC0

http://youtu.be/KO2HP8msjC0

n2ize
04-01-2013, 12:01 PM
And who said lasers can't be seen? Seriously? Have you never played with one?

I have several and as I pointed out above, depending on the wavelength and power the beam is clearly visible to the human eye both in the dark and in some cases even in daylight.

N2CHX
04-01-2013, 12:12 PM
I have several and as I pointed out above, depending on the wavelength and power the beam is clearly visible to the human eye both in the dark and in some cases even in daylight.

Yes, I know. My first laser was a HeNe glass tube laser with a 3 kV power supply brick, scrapped out of an old grocery store scanner. That was almost 20 years ago now. Fun times. Used to point it at water towers and the Xerox Tower in downtown Rochester and such and I experimented with using it as a backup STL for an FM I worked for. Modulated the laser with a big old transformer. It actually sounded pretty good (albeit mono) -- unless it was raining. Rain induced this cool sounding popping noise into the receiver at the other end. Would have been much better if I had gotten really fancy with it and frequency modulated a subcarrier, but it just wouldn't pass that kind of bandwidth. Fun toy though.

K7SGJ
04-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Yes, I know. My first laser was a HeNe glass tube laser with a 3 kV power supply brick, scrapped out of an old grocery store scanner. That was almost 20 years ago now. Fun times. Used to point it at water towers and the Xerox Tower in downtown Rochester and such and I experimented with using it as a backup STL for an FM I worked for. Modulated the laser with a big old transformer. It actually sounded pretty good (albeit mono) -- unless it was raining. Rain induced this cool sounding popping noise into the receiver at the other end. Would have been much better if I had gotten really fancy with it and frequency modulated a subcarrier, but it just wouldn't pass that kind of bandwidth. Fun toy though.

With the rain, the right choice of mind alteration, I'd say we got us a party.

N2NH
04-01-2013, 04:26 PM
And who said lasers can't be seen? Seriously? Have you never played with one?

I did and no, I haven't played with one. I did toy around with the idea of using one as a transmitter for line of sight morse code for awhile, but with all the helicopters flying at low altitude in NYC, I got cold feet on that.

n2ize
04-01-2013, 04:52 PM
I did and no, I haven't played with one. I did toy around with the idea of using one as a transmitter for line of sight morse code for awhile

It wouldn't do much good unless you had someone else to receive it. More interesting would be to use a low power ( < 5mW ) laser and modulate it to transmit audio or digital data. Or, to build a stealth eavesdropping device.

, but with all the helicopters flying at low altitude in NYC, I got cold feet on that.

It is a federal offense to deliberately point a laser at any aircraft. However, there are several solutions you could have used. One is to make sure it is not aimed skyward or in a direction or altitude where an aircraft might cross the beam,,, The other is to notify the FAA and get special clearance (unlikely). A third possibility is to use a low power ( like a 1 mW ) infrared laser which is invisible. Just make sure you detector on the receiving end responds to infrared.

I would never point anything higher than 5 mW laser in any outdoor space unless suitable precautions are taken and a suitable backstop is used to keep the beam within controlled boundaries. Anything over 5 mW has the potential to cause instantaneous eye damage and must be used with extreme care.

n2ize
04-01-2013, 05:07 PM

As a kid (about 12) I wanted to build a pulsed ruby laser. But the components and parts were a bit too expensive and the project too daunting for me at that age. Wound up building a 0.5 Mw HeNe when I was in high school. I bought the tube and built up the power supply and, it worked. Used to shine it at trees, telephone poles and into the fog at night. I also doscovered that if I aimed it at the street light it would cause the photocontrol to shut the light off until the beam was interrupted. Thought of modulating it or getting into holography but never did.

These days I work mostly with diode or Diode Pumped Solid State types. Usually I salvage the laser diodes from old DVD burners. With a suitable driver and a couple of 3 volt lithium batteries I can get anywhere from 250 - 350 mW of power in the red wavelength from a DVD burner diode which is pretty intense and will easily burn holes through dark plastics, fabrics, etc.. Some guys salvage diodes from blue ray burners or projectors and some of those diodes can produce close to a full watt of power, which is quite intense. All in all it's a lot more power than needed for communications experiments. For most project < 5 mW is more than enough power and much safer,

I would like to build a CO2 laser. I have seen a few videos and they look quite interesting.

N2NH
04-01-2013, 05:12 PM
It wouldn't do much good unless you had someone else to receive it. More interesting would be to use a low power ( < 5mW ) laser and modulate it to transmit audio or digital data. Or, to build a stealth eavesdropping device.

I knew a couple of people who were interested but being on a hill overlooking the bay, there were times when Helicopters were below us and I never hooked it up because it would've been unattended. I was going to feed it with a fiber optic cable and an optoisolator to turn the laser on and off. I looked into ultraviolet lasers, but found out that there was atmospheric absorption issues. I didn't want infrared because of the health issues to humans and birds.

n2ize
04-01-2013, 05:53 PM
I knew a couple of people who were interested but being on a hill overlooking the bay, there were times when Helicopters were below us and I never hooked it up because it would've been unattended. I was going to feed it with a fiber optic cable and an optoisolator to turn the laser on and off. I looked into ultraviolet lasers, but found out that there was atmospheric absorption issues. I didn't want infrared because of the health issues to humans and birds.

I doubt infrared would have been a health issue because you'd be using very low power for such an application (or at least I hope you would). :) A low power infrared laser wouldn't even begin to come anywhere near the amount of infrared we are exposed to on a typical sunny day. The danger of infrared lasers becomes apparent at high power levels that are capable of generating heat when contacting human tissue. Of particular concern is that infrared is invisible so if a high power infrared laser beam hits the eye you wouldn't have any blink reflex and you wouldn't even know its hitting the eye until you feel pain or hear something pop. But at rather low power levels over long distances and divergence it would be harmless.

N2RJ
04-02-2013, 11:23 AM
I did and no, I haven't played with one. I did toy around with the idea of using one as a transmitter for line of sight morse code for awhile, but with all the helicopters flying at low altitude in NYC, I got cold feet on that.

You can modulate it and transmit phone or even digital emission with it too.

http://modulatedlight.org/optical_comms/using_laser_pointers.html

IR is definitely doable. In fact, wireless headphones use IR.

kb2vxa
04-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Once upon a time a friend scrounged a HeNe laser and power supply from a scrapped arcade game. His bedroom window on the 2nd floor overlooked the intersection at the end of the street and the stop sign so we had a little fun with drivers stopped there. There were blinking stop signs so why did this one just a metal plate blink? They sat there a long time trying to figure it out, sometimes a driver behind got annoyed and leaned on the horn. Funnier still were the alternating turn signals, was he turning left or right? Yep, highly reflective surfaces like a coated stop sign and a tail light lens glow brightly while any spilled light goes unnoticed being so dim.

Another time a ham friend from Minnesota with his son came to visit his parents and we went to a hamfest. The kid being into lasers bought several gas lasers, Brewster windows and power supplies, that was the only time I ever saw lasers at a hamfest looking like rather odd transmitting tubes. Like Wil Smith said; I have got to get me one of these!

W6UV
04-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Here's a Google Maps view from near my QTH:

NQ6U
04-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Here's a Google Maps view from near my QTH

Looks fine to me...

As a native San Franciscan currently expatriated to San Diego speaking to a Bay Area resident, let me be the first to welcome you to the Island. I think you'll find the natives (mostly) friendly—at least, as long as you stay out of the political arena. It's like a cage match in there sometimes.

Barkeep, serve this man the adult beverage of his choice and put it on the Vatican's tab.

K7SGJ
04-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Here's a Google Maps view from near my QTH:

Hmmmm, that's got to be a hoot when two trains going in opposite directions hit that point. I would have figured there to be a salvage yard there instead of a house.

Welcome to the Island. Enjoy the Pope's gift of your first drink. Keep the umbrella as a souvenir since you'll be paying the rest of your life for it, one way or another.

N2NH
04-11-2013, 05:14 PM
...Caught on Google's Street View.

NSFW LINK HERE.

Getting some bush in the bush.
(http://www.heavy.com/social/2013/04/couple-in-australia-gets-busted-banging-by-google-street-view/)