PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmm.... has Mickey D's FINALLY met its match???

W7XF
03-27-2013, 09:27 PM
McDonalds is NO LONGER the fast food of choice in the 18-32 age group.

So, which chain is cutting Ronald's throat??? It's NOT a competing burger joint!

Would you like fries with that?? (http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/mcdonald-fires-volley-underground-competitor-183823103.html)

N8YX
03-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Hello.

Taco Bell?

N2CHX
03-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Subway. And yeah. I spent a lot of my life on the road going from transmitter site to transmitter site, often several states apart. So I ate a lot of fast food. I discovered Subway in 2002 in Kentucky of all places. I rarely eat fast food anymore but if I do it's Subway. Just thinking about McDonalds makes me feel queasy. I'd rather get out of the car and stand in line inside a busy Subway for 15 minutes than go through an empty McDump's drive through.

W4GPL
03-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Subway is very inconsistent from franchise to franchise.. that'd be my only complaint. If you find a good Subway, it's great and reasonably priced.

WX7P
03-28-2013, 10:07 AM
We had something on the West Coast called Togo's.

For a fast sandwich, they were really good, much better than Subway.

N8YX
03-28-2013, 10:39 AM
We had something on the West Coast called Togo's.

For a fast sandwich, they were really good, much better than Subway.

Quizno's in this area. Definitely gets the nod.

WX7P
03-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Quizno's in this area. Definitely gets the nod.

The Quizno's I went to in Sac didn't have pastrami!

Blasphemy!

KC2UGV
03-28-2013, 11:05 AM
I tend towards Subway, because they have more healthy options than McDonald's does. At McD's, I can pick a heart attack, a smaller heart attack, or a mild heart attack. At subway, I can get Artery Clogger, Heart Attack, I wanna keep my current weight, and I Am Trying To Lose Weight.

NQ6U
03-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Mickey D's has better coffee than Subway. That's about all they have, though.

W3WN
03-28-2013, 11:17 AM
No surprises there.

Too many McD's have tasteless burgers that have sat around too long, especially during the mid-afternoon and late-evening slow periods. And fairly or not, the chain and their primary offerings are seen by many today as less than healthy -- red meat, lots of fat, lots of other bad stuff.

Subway's sandwiches & salads are perceived as healthier (Arby's knocks on their pre-packaged slice meat not withstanding), fresher (since they are made to order right in front of you), & cheaper. And if you're careful about what's put on the hoagie (for example: whole wheat bun, minimal condiments, lots of lettuce and other veggies), it is healthier.

But I wouldn't worry too much about it. McD's isn't going away. They'll figure out a way to remarket themselves and con encourage the general public to keep spending their hard-earned dollars under the sign of the golden arches.

K7SGJ
03-28-2013, 11:44 AM
For us, every couple of months or so, we do one of these.

Fast burgers----IN N Out
Fast subs----Quiznos
Fast Mexican----Del Taco

While Subway seems okay in a pinch, I have absolutely no use for Crap in the Sack or McMaggots. Although, years ago, we did eat a lot of greasy tacos from JIB after our herbal treatments.

To be honest, we really prefer to roll our own at home. Burgers, subs, and tacos, that is......

KG4CGC
03-28-2013, 11:51 AM
Wait, I thought mealworms were good for you. I guess when you're done adding salt, fat and the secret addictive ingredient, it's all the same.

N2NH
03-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Quiznos doesn't do so well here. Had a few that closed in less than a month.

Burgers - Checkers
Subs - Subway (or Blimpies still have a few here and there)
Mex? - Still looking. There's a few Tex-Mex places to check out.

We used to have a great HERO place near my first radio station. It was right across from Columbia University and made the best heroes (subs- grinders whatever) I ever tasted. We'd always head there for a foot-long with so much on it, it wouldn't fit in your mouth. Tak-Hom (Take Home).

W4GPL
03-28-2013, 11:56 AM
I'm gonna say it, though most certainly a very unpopular sentiment these days. I like McDonalds. I like their fries, I like their crispy chicken sandwiches, and god help me... I even like their McGriddle. I think McD's has the world's best quality control. Though there are certainly exceptions to this rule, a Mr. McDonalds is a Mc. Donalds no matter where you go. When it comes to maintaining strict standards, they should be and are a corporate role model.

I never leave McDonalds thinking I didn't get my value's worth and most of the time I even enjoy the food. Hating McDonald's is hipster-ish, their profits tell a much different story. They're mostly on top because they are actually good at what they do... says the 32 year old. [who won't make it to 40 because of McDonald's.

KC2UGV
03-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Mickey D's has better coffee than Subway. That's about all they have, though.

True. I tend to get coffee from Mc D's. It ain't bad for $0.89.

KC2UGV
03-28-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm gonna say it, though most certainly a very unpopular sentiment these days. I like McDonalds. I like their fries, I like their crispy chicken sandwiches, and god help me... I even like their McGriddle. I think McD's has the world's best quality control. Though there are certainly exceptions to this rule, a Mr. McDonalds is a Mc. Donalds no matter where you go. When it comes to maintaining strict standards, they should be and are a corporate role model.

I never leave McDonalds thinking I didn't get my value's worth and most of the time I even enjoy the food. Hating McDonald's is hipster-ish, their profits tell a much different story. They're mostly on top because they are actually good at what they do... says the 32 year old. [who won't make it to 40 because of McDonald's.

I love the McGriddles too. Can't eat them very often, however. Increases the waistline.

N8YX
03-28-2013, 12:14 PM
We both like their milkshakes. Morseo than the offerings of many local ice-cream stands.

W3WN
03-28-2013, 01:16 PM
< snip >
We used to have a great HERO place near my first radio station. It was right across from Columbia University and made the best heroes (subs- grinders whatever) I ever tasted. We'd always head there for a foot-long with so much on it, it wouldn't fit in your mouth. Tak-Hom (Take Home).Best hoagies (subs, whatever) I ever had was from a little hole-in-the-wall place in State College called Munchies. There was just something about the combination of ingredients they put together that was just right. Their take-out/delivery counter was called The Frog, because you could "hop" in and out quickly.

Their nearest competitor, which, while second best & better than everyone else, just wasn't as good... was a little restaurant that started out as The Train Station. The Train Station eventually expanded into a full-blown restaurant, but the original take-out counter was kept, eventually re-christened as The Cattle Car, and later as CC Peppers. The Train Station itself eventually became a very high-class full-blown restaurant (well, for a college town, at least); at one point, they even had an old railroad caboose in front of the building that was used as a dining area.

Both are long gone. The two were on opposite ends of adjacent buildings, but as The Train Station expanded, they eventually bought out both buildings, and when the Munchies lease was up, they were forced out. (Why they simply didn't relocate I don't know). The family that owned The Train Station, Herlocher, expanded the Cattle Car/CC Peppers into a small chain, but eventually closed the big restaurant and sold the chain off. The company is still in business... they make a brand of dipping mustards and such.

kb2vxa
03-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Hey buddy, I gotcha fi dollah foot long right hyeah! How 'bout a sausage sammich? Seriously (Who, ME?), I liked the BK fish sandwiches so much but being expensive I made my own from supermarket fish patties, hamburger buns and mixed that tasty sauce from mayonnaise and cream of tartar. Then the price of fish shot through the roof, so much for that idea. Burger joint fare may taste good if you get lucky when they restock the steam table with fresh (rarely happens) but sooner or later you'll need Roto Rooter to unclog your arteries. I'd rather a sub but Jersey Mike's is the only game in town and they use too much rabbit food, not enough meat and drown it in oil.

Since I happen to be fond of German food, whenever I was in Manhattan during the 60s and 70s lunch at Zum Zum was a treat, they were all over the place. All gone and so am I from NY but if anybody in the area has taste buds like mine there's Zum Schneider Restaurant & Biergarten at Avenue C and E. 7th St.

PA5COR
03-28-2013, 05:16 PM
My son and i don't do fast food stuff, i like to cook, and like to use ingredients i can reckognise and know where they came from.
I can fry chips and stuff if need be, but i'm no fan of Mc dreck, and the other shops.
Too greasy annd you have to guess about the ingredients.
I have lots of spices and stuff, get my meat from a local butcher hav some stuff fo=rom my plot of veggies and potatoes, and in my city a few good shops that sell very good ingredients for a decent price.

KB3LAZ
03-28-2013, 05:24 PM
I have never liked Mickey D's. For burgers I have always taken BK over MD. I rather my burgers taste like burgers. However, Sonic would be my first choice. The problem is that back home there are none in my local area. As for subs, I love subway. Quiznos and Blimpy are are also in my area but I dont care for either. Mexican fast food, Taco bell.

As or subway, I wouldnt say that what I order is really that good for me but its probably better for me than the other choices. Chicken bacon and ranch on flat bread with lettuce, cucumbers, green peppers, and hot pepper cheese. Sadly, the subways in Spain really are awful.

Now that I live in Spain I almost never eat fast food. Not only because I do not like most of what is offered but because of the price. For a combo meal anywhere you are looking at about 12€. For that same price I can go to a restaurant and have a four course meal here.

W3WN
03-29-2013, 09:14 AM
When it comes to the national chains, I always preferred BK over McD's, since they broil (not fry) the burgers.

The problem these days is that too many BK's keep burgers "at the ready" in a steamer compartment... which in and of itself isn't bad, but then, just to make sure that the burger is hot, they microwave it for 20 seconds or so. Destroys the taste (IMHO) of the burger, dries it out, cooks the lower half of the bun as well. I've actually had arguments from the register staff that they don't microwave the burgers... all the while, as I can see into the kitchen, the prep staff throw that burger right in.

Hoss's (they may be a regional, not a national chain) broils their burgers as well (too bad most of the ones around here are gone now). They used to have a lunch deal; buy a burger (1/3 pound yet), get their salad bar/buffet for an extra 50 cents. Since the salad bar/buffet ala carte cost 50 cents more than the burger... it was really get the salad bar, and get a burger for 'free'. They had so much stuff on the buffet that often, I'd take the burger "to go" and have it for dinner -- or if I wasn't hungry, split it up and feed the dogs.

Still... I prefer to make my own burgers anyway. I know how to season the damn things to make them taste just right!!

wa6mhz
03-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Subway seems to be very PRICEY. They advertise their $5 footlongs, but those are only for specific sandwiches. They also charge considerably EXTRA for heating it up for you. So if you want a cold ham or roast beef sandwich, then U can get it for $5. I have had to pay towards $9 for a heated pastrami or Philly cheesesteak. It was pretty good, but when you look at food VALUE, you can get NINE McChicken sandwiches for the price of ONE subway! So no Subway for me! Too Pricey!

WX7P
03-29-2013, 10:06 AM
There was another decent chain in the Midwest called Rally's. At least the one in Cleveland was pretty good and cheap too.

KB3LAZ
03-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Subway seems to be very PRICEY. They advertise their $5 footlongs, but those are only for specific sandwiches. They also charge considerably EXTRA for heating it up for you. So if you want a cold ham or roast beef sandwich, then U can get it for $5. I have had to pay towards $9 for a heated pastrami or Philly cheesesteak. It was pretty good, but when you look at food VALUE, you can get NINE McChicken sandwiches for the price of ONE subway! So no Subway for me! Too Pricey!

Depends on the location. My home area had a dozen or so within 20 minutes of me. Some had only very basic subs for $5 and other offered everything but the feast for $5. I get flat bread and they require that you toast it. I have never been charged extra for that. Also, at the stores that did not have ever sub for $5 I would simply ask for something similar and add the missing items for no extra cost.

I rarely pay for subs at subway as I redeem my CC points for gift cards.

AE1PT
03-29-2013, 11:26 AM
The "quality" of many fast food chains has declined over the years--in line with our expectations and demand for quantity over quality. I swear to Christ that McDumpster employees stand on a ladder to assemble many of their sandwiches. The fish is one in particular that appears as if the contents were dropped onto the bun from some great height...

The fish sandwich at BK does indeed beat out the McD version--in size and palatable presentation. Too much of McD's rubbish is dried out and obviously cooked at an earlier time and microwaved up to order. BK has garnered a big FAIL with how they are doing burgers--as described earlier. Too much of a crapshoot to see if one is going to get a juicy, fresh burger--or some dried up thing that is barely warm.

None of us like Wendy's--their food leaves our teeth and mouths feeling 'squeaky'. Must be something about the oils they use. Many of the Taco Bell's I have patronized in the past few years have been a gamble in just how long lettuce and other ingredients can be left out before they start to slime... That is a risk at Subway as well. Your sandwich is only as fresh as the number of days the ingredients have been shuffled in and out of the cooler onto the prep table... We do prefer them though--and again as previously mentioned the amount and consistency of the preparation can vary tremendously between franchises.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the ultimate in fast food--the sit down buffet establishments! Chinese at the ready! From the mainline chains we have a liking for Golden Corral. Usually enough traffic to ensure rapid consumption of buffet items and replenishment with fresh (a make or break situation in Chinese joints)--and the stuff seems of high quality.

Ultimately though--most of the stuff out there is tasty fodder. I sincerely believe that Americans would eat dog shit if it were covered in enough grease and batter--and attractively packaged and marketed...

AE1PT
03-29-2013, 11:29 AM

Bullshit. You're just a cheapskate that loves an extra helping of hyperbole in the mornings. Don't you have something to do over on the Zed? :cool2:

KB3LAZ
03-29-2013, 11:31 AM
The "quality" of many fast food chains has declined over the years--in line with our expectations and demand for quantity over quality. I swear to Christ that McDumpster employees stand on a ladder to assemble many of their sandwiches. The fish is one in particular that appears as if the contents were dropped onto the bun from some great height...

The fish sandwich at BK does indeed beat out the McD version--in size and palatable presentation. Too much of McD's rubbish is dried out and obviously cooked at an earlier time and microwaved up to order. BK has garnered a big FAIL with how they are doing burgers--as described earlier. Too much of a crapshoot to see if one is going to get a juicy, fresh burger--or some dried up thing that is barely warm.

None of us like Wendy's--their food leaves our teeth and mouths feeling 'squeaky'. Must be something about the oils they use. Many of the Taco Bell's I have patronized in the past few years have been a gamble in just how long lettuce and other ingredients can be left out before they start to slime... That is a risk at Subway as well. Your sandwich is only as fresh as the number of days the ingredients have been shuffled in and out of the cooler onto the prep table... We do prefer them though--and again as previously mentioned the amount and consistency of the preparation can vary tremendously between franchises.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the ultimate in fast food--the sit down buffet establishments! Chinese at the ready! From the mainline chains we have a liking for Golden Corral. Usually enough traffic to ensure rapid consumption of buffet items and replenishment with fresh (a make or break situation in Chinese joints)--and the stuff seems of high quality.

Ultimately though--most of the stuff out there is tasty fodder. I sincerely believe that Americans would eat dog shit if it were covered in enough grease and batter--and attractively packaged and marketed...

These days you would be correct but it would have to be covered in ranch dressing. Shit, litter, and ranch. It would sell.

Buffets are another thing that I do not see many of here in Spain. When I do see them they normally claim to be American food. They are also extremely expensive.

W3WN
03-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Subway seems to be very PRICEY. They advertise their $5 footlongs, but those are only for specific sandwiches. They also charge considerably EXTRA for heating it up for you. So if you want a cold ham or roast beef sandwich, then U can get it for $5. I have had to pay towards $9 for a heated pastrami or Philly cheesesteak. It was pretty good, but when you look at food VALUE, you can get NINE McChicken sandwiches for the price of ONE subway! So no Subway for me! Too Pricey!They do? Not around here they don't. In fact, I always have to tell them NOT to toast the bun or heat the sandwich (at least I never have to worry about melting the cheese, since I never get cheese on mine)

And I've never seen pastrami offered at a Subway. Oh, what I wouldn't give for a good hot pastrami...

Ahem. Anyway Pat, never seen that charge for heating at the Subways at Dayton, or in the DC metro area, or around Ocean City, or around Philly. So... no, sorry, not buying it.

NQ6U
03-29-2013, 04:42 PM
Pat, we've both eaten sandwiches from the Subway at Chase and Avocado in El Cajon and I know they don't charge extra for heating them up there.

W4GPL
03-29-2013, 04:46 PM
There was another decent chain in the Midwest called Rally's. At least the one in Cleveland was pretty good and cheap too.Rally's up north, Checkers in the south.. same place though. Kinda like Carl's Jr and Hardees..

W3WN
03-29-2013, 04:51 PM
There was another decent chain in the Midwest called Rally's. At least the one in Cleveland was pretty good and cheap too.There was one of those in the area a few years ago. Converted former gas station, across the street from the BK & McD's on the North Side, a couple of blocks from CCAC-Allegheny & 3 Rivers Stadium.

Great burgers. Poor location. Too far away from the students. Too close to the better-known competition. They lasted about a year.

WØTKX
03-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Yes, they have one. I dunno if it's on the menu now, it was a "special" about a year ago, IIRC.
Without Russian dressing, sauerkraut or cole slaw? Harumph.

http://www.pakreviews.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/Subway%20Shahbaz%20Karachi%20-%20NEW%20Beef%20Pastrami%20(limited%20edition).jpg

K7SGJ
03-29-2013, 06:14 PM
There is a Hofbrau in central Phoenix that serves the best deli style sandwiches around. Their hot pastrami on rye is to die for. It's so good, that my liver hurts for a week after eating one. Yum Of course they aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for.

And as for Chinese buffets, I really like the ones that have a large selection of foods.

NQ6U
03-29-2013, 08:33 PM
There is a Hofbrau in central Phoenix that serves the best deli style sandwiches around. Their hot pastrami on rye is to die for. It's so good, that my liver hurts for a week after eating one. Yum Of course they aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Eddie, next time you're in San Diego we'll go to DZ Akins. Bring your appetite, though—your liver will hurt for two weeks.

K7SGJ
03-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Eddie, next time you're in San Diego we'll go to DZ Akins. Bring your appetite, though—your liver will hurt for two weeks.

You are on. I am looking forward to a drive by. Hope to be out that way sometime this summer since I think we'll have everything moved or auctioned off, and the XYLs building sold or at least listed. When that's done, it's grab your TOGA and parteeeee time.

ETA

After our PM last week, I had to take down the dipole so the cargo container delivery truck could get through, and had to take down the vertical to place the damn thing. I hope to get at least the dipole back up this weekend. When I do, we'll get that PSK QSO going. Details to follow, flem at ten.

W3WN
03-29-2013, 09:24 PM
Yes, they have one. I dunno if it's on the menu now, it was a "special" about a year ago, IIRC.
Without Russian dressing, sauerkraut or cole slaw? Harumph.

http://www.pakreviews.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/Subway%20Shahbaz%20Karachi%20-%20NEW%20Beef%20Pastrami%20(limited%20edition).jpg Hmmm. I don't remember that on the menus around here, so maybe it was a regional thing.

Regardless, though, it's clearly not a regular item. Pity, I'd buy them!

kb2vxa
03-30-2013, 09:42 AM
"Details to follow, flem at ten."

Spit it out, DON'T swallow it!

n6hcm
03-31-2013, 01:27 AM
Subway seems to be very PRICEY.

"5¢. Everything should be 5¢."