PDA

View Full Version : Trix the Aviatrix

W3WN
03-24-2013, 04:27 PM
OK, warning: Proud Father Bragging alert

I think most of you know how proud we are of Little Miss Field Day. She just completed performing in the annual High School Musical, this year a production called The Drowsy Chaperone.

The casting was excellent, and the kids did a fabulous job.

Jessie's big part comes at the end. When we saw the performance Thursday night, I was floored at the audience reaction... she basically steals the show right out from under everyone. So, of course, I had to record it Saturday night at the last performance.
Caution that the video, sadly, is not great. It's the best I could do with my camera under the circumstances (heck of a time to find out the camcorder battery is shot, and that Best Buy no longer carries the brand, let alone replacement batteries). And it didn't help that the camera's batteries started to go as well...

With that said... enjoy!

http://youtu.be/5d81muD9UO4

K7SGJ
03-24-2013, 06:37 PM
Very cool. It looks like they are having a great time. You should be very proud. Just out of curiosity, what does she want to do when she finishes school?

NA4BH
03-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Proud Papa !!!! Great performance.

Glad no one got hit by the propeller.

PA5COR
03-25-2013, 02:18 AM
Still have my son'r performance on digital videotape here, i know your feeling all to well, congrats ;)

WX7P
03-25-2013, 05:11 AM
Wow, she's quite the talent.

I thought she just did "Godspell"? Very busy.

W3WN
03-25-2013, 07:38 AM
Very cool. It looks like they are having a great time. You should be very proud. Just out of curiosity, what does she want to do when she finishes school?She wants to be an actress. With a minor in journalism.

W3WN
03-25-2013, 07:40 AM
Proud Papa !!!! Great performance.

Glad no one got hit by the propeller.Funny you should mention that... the propeller got destroyed during the first dress rehersal last Monday. One of the parents helping backstage backed into it. Then... well, it JUST fit through that door, and on that first dress rehersal, the stage hands didn't QUITE have the plane lined up right...

I offered to loan them my roll of duct tape. I was turned down. (Don't they know that duct tape fixes EVERYTHING? It's one of the building blocks of the Universe!)

Fortunately, the propeller got rebuilt during the week...

W3WN
03-25-2013, 07:41 AM
Wow, she's quite the talent.

I thought she just did "Godspell"? Very busy.She did.

"Godspell" was put on by her acting school, Center for Theatre Arts. This was her High School. Yes, she was in rehersal for both at the same time!

I'll tell you, the boss & I are looking forward to NOT running around for rehersals tonight!!

KG4CGC
03-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Congrats!

W3WN
05-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Bump

About a half hour ago, the nominations came out for this year's Gene Kelly awards for High School musicals.

No, Jessie herself didn't get a nod... I'd be lying if I didn't admit I was hoping, but her role just wasn't big enough. However, her school (Keystone Oaks HS) had a number of nominations, including one for Best Ensemble.

Keep in mind that for the last few years, at least, KOHS didn't get a single nomination... and this year they got a bunch, so that alone is a 'victory' of sorts.

If anyone's interested, here's a link to the story: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/ae/high-school-musicals/2013-gene-kelly-award-nominations-for-high-school-musical-theater-686953/

Incidentally, the kid pictured with the story, one of the Best Supporting Actor nominees, is from KOHS, and he did do a fabulous job.

wa6mhz
05-09-2013, 02:21 PM
She is on her way to HOLLYWOOD!!! Hope someone in the audience "discovers" her and gets her a movie audition!

Also hope she can come to Dayton too!

W3WN
05-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Thanks Pat. From your lips to God's ears...

(ok, from your keyboard to a casting director's screen...)

When I walked in the house, the first thing I heard was not the usual mumbled "hi Dad"... nor Lucy Furr barking for her walk NOW... but a happy teenager screaming "EIGHT!! EIGHT NOMINATIONS!! WE GOT EIGHT NOMINATIONS!!" She's still "high" from that.

And they WILL be performing an excerpt from the musical at the awards show. Most likely not the clip with Jess singing, but one of the other numbers. The kids want to do "(The) Toledo Surprise" because it really highlights the choreography. We'll see.

...and so much for WPX CW weekend. It's now going to cost me $75 for tickets to the awards show for the boss & me to go (Jess is already going with the school)... well, at least I can park for free at work...

K7SGJ
05-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Thanks Pat. From your lips to God's ears...

(ok, from your keyboard to a casting director's screen...)

When I walked in the house, the first thing I heard was not the usual mumbled "hi Dad"... nor Lucy Furr barking for her walk NOW... but a happy teenager screaming "EIGHT!! EIGHT NOMINATIONS!! WE GOT EIGHT NOMINATIONS!!" She's still "high" from that.

And they WILL be performing an excerpt from the musical at the awards show. Most likely not the clip with Jess singing, but one of the other numbers. The kids want to do "(The) Toledo Surprise" because it really highlights the choreography. We'll see.

...and so much for WPX CW weekend. It's now going to cost me $75 for tickets to the awards show for the boss & me to go (Jess is already going with the school)... well, at least I can park for free at work...

It'll be some of the best $150 you ever spent.

W3WN
05-09-2013, 08:51 PM
It'll be some of the best $150 you ever spent.
$75. We're not sitting in the front rows. (They're sold out)

NQ6U
05-09-2013, 10:22 PM
The kids want to do "(The) Toledo Surprise"

I hope that's nothing like a Cleveland Steamer.

K7SGJ
05-09-2013, 10:27 PM
I hope that's nothing like a Cleveland Steamer.

I think you're thinking of a Cleavland Frogger.

W3WN
05-25-2013, 11:33 PM
Well... the Gene Kelly awards were over a couple of hours ago.

Of the 8 nominations, the kids won one award... Best Costumes.

Naturally, they were disappointed. On the other hand... I learned from one of the teachers that the first year of the Kelly awards, 23 or so years ago, KOHS got ONE nomination (and lost). They haven't had a single one since. This year, they got 8, second only to the Pittsburgh CAPA (Performing Arts) Magnet School.

29 Allegheny County schools choose to participate in the Kelly's. Of those 29 (some public, some private, some charter), over half didn't even have one nomination.

Only 9 schools got nominated for Best Musical, and only those 9 got to perform a number from their performance. So she did get to be on the big stage (the Benedum theatre... that's where the touring Broadway musicals perform) -- in fact, she got moved to the front and one of the featured dance roles -- and they did get a rousing ovation when done.

All in all, they did great, and they have nothing to be ashamed of. But try and explain that to a teenager...

N2NH
05-25-2013, 11:44 PM
Well... the Gene Kelly awards were over a couple of hours ago.

Of the 8 nominations, the kids won one award... Best Costumes.

Naturally, they were disappointed. On the other hand... I learned from one of the teachers that the first year of the Kelly awards, 23 or so years ago, KOHS got ONE nomination (and lost). They haven't had a single one since. This year, they got 8, second only to the Pittsburgh CAPA (Performing Arts) Magnet School.

29 Allegheny County schools choose to participate in the Kelly's. Of those 29 (some public, some private, some charter), over half didn't even have one nomination.

Only 9 schools got nominated for Best Musical, and only those 9 got to perform a number from their performance. So she did get to be on the big stage (the Benedum theatre... that's where the touring Broadway musicals perform) -- in fact, she got moved to the front and one of the featured dance roles -- and they did get a rousing ovation when done.

All in all, they did great, and they have nothing to be ashamed of. But try and explain that to a teenager...

The XYL and I have some experience in drama. She's done good. Hope she gets the bug, but you invariably suffer for your art. Even Hoffman and Redford did.

W3WN
05-25-2013, 11:55 PM
Just retrieved the camera. Here's an excerpt from the dance routine...
I actually had a better shot of LMFD at the end, but (of course) just as I was taking the picture, someone in a row in front of us stuck his head up... have to see if I can edit that at all.

Of COURSE, the boss asks me "did I record the whole thing?" Wasn't possible... we had aisle seats (row Z, of all things), and people kept coming down the aisle, and STOPPING... ok, at least they were watching, but still... most irritating.

There were at least four professional cameras going, so I'm hoping the school will get a video & we can get a copy...

W3WN
05-25-2013, 11:57 PM
The XYL and I have some experience in drama. She's done good. Hope she gets the bug, but you invariably suffer for your art. Even Hoffman and Redford did.
Yes, she did, and I thank you.

To her credit... she's upset that the rest of the cast didn't get recognized. She doesn't care if SHE gets honored, she thinks the whole cast & crew should have won.

N2NH
05-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Yes, she did, and I thank you.

To her credit... she's upset that the rest of the cast didn't get recognized. She doesn't care if SHE gets honored, she thinks the whole cast & crew should have won.

She sounds like a trouper. A lot of people used to hone their skills in summer stock. On the road a lot though.