PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy 959 Display Fix

Happy_Hamer
03-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Let me preface this, I know it is a CB repair, but it may help for all repairs.

K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

NOTE THIS FIX MAY NOT FIX YOUR RADIO, IT DID MINE!

OK, So I got a Galaxy 959 at a flea market today for $20

I noticed that the the clarifier had to be ALL the way to the left to receive on frequency while on SSB

OK simple, get in the radio, remove the FREQUENCY COUNTER PCB so I can get at and adjust the receive with the clarifier at 12 o'clock position.

laid the pcb on the side and the pins touched ground which I did not notice until I turned on the radio and none of the lights or channel display worked, plugged in the freq display and it did not work either! DAMN I SHORTED IT OUT!!!!!

Went to every plug and unplugged and plugged them back in to be sure I didn't accidentally unplug something, no luck!

Did the wiggle everything test and no luck, oh well $20 in the crapper.

The radio still worked perfect I just could not see what channel I was on and the meter didn't light up any more.

So I put it all back together and took pictures to sell it as a parts radio on eBay.

My buddy was still baffled so he took the covers off again and took the face plate off to check all the plugs that we could not reach unless the face plate was off. NO LUCK!

Put it back together once more then had YET another idea!!!!!

Pushed the Dimmer knob/button in to turn on the display and it all worked just fine!

DOH!

kb2vxa
03-24-2013, 05:08 PM
When all else fails push all the buttons. Congratulations, here's your Homer Award. (;->)