PDA

View Full Version : March 24th, 1973 - Dark Side Of The Moon released..

W4GPL
03-23-2013, 11:59 AM
40 years ago, Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Richard Wright, and Nick Mason released Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcG47CpsU6c

Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon” spent 741 weeks on the Billboard charts from 1973 to 1988 - Longer than any other album in history.

Roger Waters has requested everyone kick on Dark Side at 8:00pm ET (00:00 UTC), Tweet #DarkSide40, and enjoy! And it'll like.. totally turn the moon dark, man.

NQ6U
03-23-2013, 12:27 PM
I remember that day. Actually, no I don't. I was heavily into the herbal supplements at the time, but I know that I listened to it on KSAN in San Francisco, who played the entire disc without interruption. They used to do things like that back in the day.

WØTKX
03-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Yup. I went right out and bought the LP and the 8-track as soon as it came out.

PA5COR
03-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Lp and cd here, time really flies...

NQ6U
03-23-2013, 01:12 PM
It still ranks right up there as one of the best rock and roll albums ever. IMHO, of course.

X-Rated
03-23-2013, 03:25 PM
The only album better was by Slim Whitman.

W3WN
03-23-2013, 03:30 PM
40 years ago, Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Richard Wright, and Nick Mason released Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon..

< video link snipped for brevity, see original post >

Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon” spent 741 weeks on the Billboard charts from 1973 to 1988 - Longer than any other album in history.

Roger Waters has requested everyone kick on Dark Side at 8:00pm ET (00:00 UTC), Tweet #DarkSide40, and enjoy! And it'll like.. totally turn the moon dark, man.They did that for my wife's 15th birthday? How nice of them! I'll make sure I tell her tomorrow.

W3WN
03-23-2013, 03:31 PM
The only album better was by Slim Whitman.Umm, no.

Unless we're being invaded by Martians. Then it's our secret weapon. :hahano:

N2NH
03-26-2013, 09:13 AM
My friend got it and we listened to it all Saturday night over some vodka. He had dual Crown Amps and a 20 band stereo graphic equalizer into some good speakers. After dark while we listened on the 21st floor, the Bronx began to burn below us yet again.

kb2vxa
03-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Remember test records and alignment tapes? Dark Side made an excellent test record if you had good ears and knew what to listen for. That notion hit me when a friend played it for the first time on his premium system in a great acoustical environment and I noticed that opening heartbeat sounded like crap, also each woofer sounded different. (15" Altec-Lansings in sealed enclosures) The next day I brought over my HP 200D generator and fed them 20Hz at some decent volume while working a lit cigarette around the seams. Sure enough it blew around in a few places so we took the speakers out and sealed the seams from the inside with silicone bathtub caulk, problem solved. That reminds me, on a good system you can pick out several sloppy edit points on Great Gig In The Sky where they spliced three takes of Claire Torry's vocals together.

Oh, when da Bronx be burnin' open da window an' bree deep. It be da ganja mon, feelin' irie!

NA4BH
03-26-2013, 11:09 PM
That reminds me, on a good system you can pick out several sloppy edit points on Great Gig In The Sky where they spliced three takes of Claire Torry's vocals together.

You can hear talking in the background. What are they saying? This is a legitimate question. I've always wondered.

ETA: I've heard stories that she did it in one take and they were blown away. She heard no critique about her singing and ran out crying. They finally stopped her and the rest was history.

XE1/N5AL
03-26-2013, 11:47 PM
If you are referring to the talking between the music tracks, i give you Wikipedia: The_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon)

Snippets of voices between and over the music are another notable feature of the album. During recording sessions, Waters recruited both the staff and the temporary occupants of the studio to answer a series of questions printed on flashcards. The interviewees were placed in front of a microphone in a darkened studio three,[48] and shown such questions as "What's your favourite colour?" and "What's your favourite food?", before moving on to themes more central to the album (such as madness, violence, and death). Questions such as "When was the last time you were violent?", followed immediately by "Were you in the right?", were answered in the order they were presented.[8] Roger "The Hat" Manifold proved difficult to find, and was the only contributor recorded in a conventional sit-down interview, as by then the flashcards had been mislaid. Waters asked him about a violent encounter he had had with another motorist, and Manifold replied "... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ..." When asked about death he responded "live for today, gone tomorrow, that's me ..."[49] Another roadie, Chris Adamson, who was on tour with Pink Floyd, recorded the snippet which opens the album: "I've been mad for fucking years—absolutely years".[50] The band's road manager Peter Watts (father of actress Naomi Watts)[51] contributed the repeated laughter during "Brain Damage" and "Speak to Me". His second wife, Patricia 'Puddie' Watts (now Patricia Gleason), was responsible for the line about the "geezer" who was "cruisin' for a bruisin'" used in the segue between "Money" and "Us and Them", and the words "I never said I was frightened of dying" heard near the end of "The Great Gig in the Sky".[52]

Perhaps the most notable responses "I am not frightened of dying. Any time will do: I don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There's no reason for it — you've got to go sometime" and closing words "there is no dark side in the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark" came from the studios' Irish doorman, Gerry O'Driscoll.[53] Paul and Linda McCartney were also interviewed, but their answers were judged to be "trying too hard to be funny", and were not included on the album.[54] McCartney's band mate Henry McCullough contributed the line "I don't know, I was really drunk at the time".[55]

NA4BH
03-26-2013, 11:57 PM
While I've heard those on the album, there is talking during "The Great Gig in the Sky". That's what I want to know.

Torry asked what the "song" meant, and was told it represented death, do your best to show death. And she fscking nailed it, like a Messiah to a tree.

ETA: Registered users of the Island have full copyright privileges to the following: Nailed it like a Messiah to a tree

All others, royalties do apply to this copyrighted statement.

kb2vxa
03-28-2013, 12:35 AM
There's more to the talking under the instrumental Great Gig In The Sky than mentioned above. Here it is in its entirety. The CD is a digital remix, the talking is clearer and just a bit louder than on the original vinyl.

"And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime."

"If you can hear this whispering you are dying."

"I never said I was frightened of dying."