PDA

View Full Version : Fireball Seen Over the Eastern Seaboard of the US.

N2NH
03-23-2013, 06:16 AM
Getting to be less rare by the day...

Hundreds of people from Canada to Florida reported seeing a brilliant streak of light shoot across the sky Friday evening.
There were some reports that it crashed to Earth near the Maryland-Delaware state line but those reports were still unconfirmed late Friday.
The fireball was spotted about 8 p.m. by people driving, walking their dogs or just happening to glance out the window. Those who saw it described it as green, bright, fast, close and “scary.”

Meteor Flashes up the Eastern Seaboard of the United States.

(http://www.insidenova.com/news/local/northernva/fireball-lights-up-sky-over-east-coast/article_5f20bdd4-9353-11e2-a4e9-0019bb2963f4.html)Fireball lights up sky over East Coast (http://www.insidenova.com/news/local/northernva/fireball-lights-up-sky-over-east-coast/article_5f20bdd4-9353-11e2-a4e9-0019bb2963f4.html)

N2NH
03-23-2013, 06:22 AM
More Meteor News:

A bright meteor briefly outshined the lights of New York City Friday evening (March 22), according to reports by witnesses who used Twitter and the Internet to report sightings of the fireball streaking over a broad stretch of the U.S. East Coast.
"Strange Friday night … a meteor (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrHgEIRj01RfFwA2AOsFWFH;_ylu=X3oDMTFqMDgxZXM 0BG1pdANBcnRpY2xlIEJvZHkEcG9zAzEEc2VjA01lZGlhQXJ0a WNsZUJvZHlBc3NlbWJseQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTNhZGNqZWxzBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDOWRkNWMxYzAtZDg4NC0zOTA0LTlhNjQtNzAyNjEwNj BlODI1BHBzdGNhdANzY2llbmNlfHNwYWNlLWFzdHJvbm9teQRw dANzdG9yeXBhZ2U-;_ylv=0/SIG=1396o5o9a/EXP=1365246993/**http%3A//www.space.com/15353-meteor-showers-facts-shooting-stars-skywatching-sdcmp.html) passed over my house tonight!" wrote one New Yorker writing as Yanksmom19.
The first fireball sightings came at about 8 p.m. EDT (0000 March 23 GMT) and sparked more than 500 witness reports to the American Meteor Society. Reports of the meteor flooded Twitter from New York, Boston and Washington, D.C.
"The witnesses range from along the Atlantic Coast ranging from Maine to North Carolina," Robert Lunsford, the society's fireball coordinator, wrote in an update (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrHgEIRj01RfFwA2QOsFWFH;_ylu=X3oDMTFqaWd2Ymg 3BG1pdANBcnRpY2xlIEJvZHkEcG9zAzIEc2VjA01lZGlhQXJ0a WNsZUJvZHlBc3NlbWJseQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTNhZGNqZWxzBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDOWRkNWMxYzAtZDg4NC0zOTA0LTlhNjQtNzAyNjEwNj BlODI1BHBzdGNhdANzY2llbmNlfHNwYWNlLWFzdHJvbm9teQRw dANzdG9yeXBhZ2U-;_ylv=0/SIG=12pf3c3tf/EXP=1365246993/**http%3A//www.amsmeteors.org/2013/03/eastern-usa-fireball-march-22-2013/). "This object was also seen as far inland as Ohio." [5 Amazing Fireball Videos (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrHgEIRj01RfFwA2gOsFWFH;_ylu=X3oDMTFqaTNjbzl mBG1pdANBcnRpY2xlIEJvZHkEcG9zAzMEc2VjA01lZGlhQXJ0a WNsZUJvZHlBc3NlbWJseQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTNhZGNqZWxzBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDOWRkNWMxYzAtZDg4NC0zOTA0LTlhNjQtNzAyNjEwNj BlODI1BHBzdGNhdANzY2llbmNlfHNwYWNlLWFzdHJvbm9teQRw dANzdG9yeXBhZ2U-;_ylv=0/SIG=12icu43uo/EXP=1365246993/**http%3A//www.space.com/19813-amazing-meteor-fireballs-video.html)]
The CBS WUSA 9 television news station obtained several security camera videos of the fireball as it lit up the night sky over Washington and parts of Maryland.

Meteor Over Manhattan: East Coast Fireball Sets Internet Abuzz (http://news.yahoo.com/meteor-over-manhattan-east-coast-fireball-sets-internet-052545019.html)
http://i48.tinypic.com/2e3r046.jpg

PA5COR
03-23-2013, 06:24 AM
Maybe nature is trying to tell us something?

N2NH
03-23-2013, 06:26 AM
Maybe nature is trying to tell us something?

It would seem that you are right Cor. There are many who will still fail to see these "signs in the sky" though.

I think this was a special request for John/IZE.

KJ3N
03-23-2013, 06:55 AM
Never saw a thing.

W4GPL
03-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Getting to be less rare by the day...Are they? Or is the current hype + social media just making us more aware?

N2NH
03-23-2013, 08:33 AM
Are they? Or is the current hype + social media just making us more aware?

Honestly? I think since the Russian event people are less reluctant to come forward and say they saw something. I also think people are scared. They're looking up more and they're seeing more. But the real warning was with Shoemaker-Levy over 2 decades ago. We're just slow learners.

W4GPL
03-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Why would people be less reluctant? Twitter was abuzz with reports last night, it was trending all evening..

N2NH
03-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Why would people be less reluctant? Twitter was abuzz with reports last night, it was trending all evening..

At one time if you saw anything out of the ordinary in the sky, you'd be ridiculed for seeing "UFO"s. That stigma probably caused a lot of sightings to not be reported.

I checked and I'm wrong. Shoemaker-Levy was discovered on 3/24/93.

K7SGJ
03-23-2013, 09:40 AM
Damn. With all those things flaming through, the Earth is liable to see some Global Warming............NAH.

n2ize
03-23-2013, 11:17 AM
It would seem that you are right Cor. There are many who will still fail to see these "signs in the sky" though.

No, I just don't buy into prophetic visions of "signs in the sky".

Actually, fireballs are extremely common, Its surprising we don't see many more of these every day considering that several thousand "fireball" type meteors enter and burn in our atmosphere. Problem is many of them occur over large uninhabited areas, such as the ocean, or, occur in the daytime so unless they are very large and bright, like the one that fell recently over Russia many go unseen.

Honestly? I think since the Russian event people are less reluctant to come forward and say they saw something.

Why would people be afraid to say they saw a meteor ? It's a well known, common, and well accepted event. Reporting that you saw a meteor is kind of like reporting a tornado or a thunderstorm. It's not like reporting a flying saucer with little green men. Matter of fact this most recent event was very widely reported.

I also think people are scared. They're looking up more and they're seeing more.

It makes sense that the more you look up the more you are likely to see. As far as being scared the only thing to be scared of is our own ignorance and/or imaginations. If we chose to believe that seeing or hearing about fireballs is a prophetic sigh of doom or that "the big one is coming at any moment" then scared you will be.

But the real warning was with Shoemaker-Levy over 2 decades ago. We're just slow learners.

It's not that we are slow learners. It has been understood for a very long time that comets can collide with planets and that there is a small but definite chance that one day a comet can collide with the earth. The only issue as hand is that we don't presently have any means to stop it should it occur anytime soon. I am not going to live my life in fear over it. Life is relatively short and we are all going to die eventually.

KG4CGC
03-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Americans need dash cams. When I had my Volkswagen in the 80s, I thought to myself many times that a certain situation needs a camera in the window. People had a tendency to drive poorly when they saw me coming, or so that's what I thought at the time. I realized that people just drive poorly as a matter of practice rather than just on my account.

Recently there was a commercial for a car with a large glass roof. Maybe some astronomer types could take advantage of that with a couple of cams pointed up in their roof.

KK4AMI
03-23-2013, 12:02 PM
It seems to me that poor family at the Birmingham Airport missed the most obvious sign. Can you imagine your whole family getting hit by an Airport "Departure" sign? I'm more worried about giant oak limbs hitting me in my backyard. I'm always looking up...and tripping over my own shoe laces. :ashamed:

N2NH
03-23-2013, 12:16 PM

No, I just don't buy into prophetic visions of "signs in the sky"...It's not that we are slow learners.

Nobody is saying you should live in fear. You keep bringing that up, but I have never said that nor implied that. But if you have a brain bigger than a dinosaur, then you have to pay attention to a threat such as this or suffer the same fate they did. Then again, I bear repeating.

There are many who will still fail to see these "signs in the sky"...

n2ize
03-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Nobody is saying you should live in fear. You keep bringing that up, but I have never said that nor implied that. But if you have a brain bigger than a dinosaur, then you have to pay attention to a threat such as this or suffer the same fate they did. Then again, I bear repeating.

I am well aware of the potential threats posed by large bodies from outer space smashing into the earth from above. I am not convinced that recent sightings have raised the probability of a major devastating impact occurring nor do I see them as a prophetic"message from the sky". But yes, regardless there is a chance of a cosmic catastrophe from an asteroid, comet, cosmic ray burst, etc. . The laws of probability support such an occurrence albeit very small. The problem is that there is nothing I or anyone else can do about it at the moment. Nor is there technology yet available or in place to do anything about it. I cannot run and hide anywhere because an asteroid can strike anywhere. No place is safe. And in the event of a really enormous asteroid it wouldn't matter where I live anyway because the devastating effects would be global and possibly lead to global extinction. But at present there is nothing we can do except be aware that there is a chance it could happen. It is also possible that in the future technology will exist that may offer a defense against these types of collisions. But at present we live in what future generations will call, "the old days" and we will be called "old fashioned".

Meanwhile we stand a greater chance of being killed by a car, being murdered, fatal illness, fatal car accident,getting hit by lightning.

K7SGJ
03-23-2013, 02:45 PM
I am well aware of the potential threats posed by large bodies from outer space smashing into the earth from above. I am not convinced that recent sightings have raised the probability of a major devastating impact occurring nor do I see them as a prophetic"message from the sky". But yes, regardless there is a chance of a cosmic catastrophe from an asteroid, comet, cosmic ray burst, etc. . The laws of probability support such an occurrence albeit very small. The problem is that there is nothing I or anyone else can do about it at the moment. Nor is there technology yet available or in place to do anything about it. I cannot run and hide anywhere because an asteroid can strike anywhere. No place is safe. And in the event of a really enormous asteroid it wouldn't matter where I live anyway because the devastating effects would be global and possibly lead to global extinction. But at present there is nothing we can do except be aware that there is a chance it could happen. It is also possible that in the future technology will exist that may offer a defense against these types of collisions. But at present we live in what future generations will call, "the old days" and we will be called "old fashioned".

Meanwhile we stand a greater chance of being killed by a car, being murdered, fatal illness, fatal car accident,getting hit by lightning.

Outer space? Shit man, there are some large bodies right here on earth that scare the shit out of me.

KJ3N
03-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Outer space? Shit man, there are some large bodies right here on earth that scare the shit out of me.

You usually find those at Dayton Hamvention.

N2NH
03-23-2013, 05:24 PM
FWIW:

...there will be terrors and great signs from heaven.
Luke 21:11

The fireball isn't the prophesy, merely the evidence of it.

2 He answered them,[a (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+16:2-4&version=ESV#fen-ESV-23674a)] “When it is evening, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red.’3 And in the morning, ‘It will be stormy today, for the sky is red and threatening.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.
Matt 16:2-4

KØWVM
03-24-2013, 02:51 AM
Americans need dash cams. When I had my Volkswagen in the 80s, I thought to myself many times that a certain situation needs a camera in the window. People had a tendency to drive poorly when they saw me coming, or so that's what I thought at the time. I realized that people just drive poorly as a matter of practice rather than just on my account.

Recently there was a commercial for a car with a large glass roof. Maybe some astronomer types could take advantage of that with a couple of cams pointed up in their roof.

The GoPro cameras are amazing, whether used during operations where they are mounted to kevlar helmets or folks who like to use them during skydiving. Amazing little devices with crystal clear HD video.

N8YX
03-24-2013, 12:02 PM
The fireball isn't the prophesy, merely the evidence of it.

It may very well be the prophesy, on the other hand.

One of the sci-fi works which I've mentioned on occasion when discussing impact events and their effects on Earth is titled "The Crucible of Time". In the novel, intelligent plant life is on a developmental path very similar to that of our own. Their race suffers repeated evolutionary setbacks as the result of asteroid impacts; additionally, their home world's position relative to the galactic center is shrinking in distance. This leads to enhanced mutation rates (including sterility) due to the increase in background radioactivity.

Centric to the novel is the Large Magellanic Cloud - "the Maker's Sling". When it is prominent in their sky, in come the impactors in quantity.

One Biblical prophesy concerns the world's destruction by fire. It's wholly possible that the solar system will eventually move into a region of space that's densely populated with asteroids, and that through gravitational capture we'll be bombarded

-or-

Something as-yet undiscovered will perturb enough of the existing asteroid belt to send a shower of them our way

-and-

As the result of a very large number of smallish impacts, a crown fire sets up.

Perhaps the authors of the last sections of the Bible were treated to such a vision but - not knowing astrophysics - couldn't correlate what was destined to occur.

kb2vxa
03-24-2013, 05:40 PM
Have you ever considered God is throwing rocks at us?

N2NH
03-24-2013, 09:13 PM

Could be. Could be.

That's how I get the attention of the landlord here at night when there's a problem.

W2NAP
03-24-2013, 09:14 PM

that isnt very godly.

NQ6U
03-24-2013, 09:50 PM
that isnt very godly.

We're talking about the guy who once drowned pretty much everybody and everything on the entire earth, remember?

W2NAP
03-24-2013, 11:13 PM
We're talking about the guy who once drowned pretty much everybody and everything on the entire earth, remember?

that wasnt very godly ether....

I thought this god guy was a nice and loving god...

drowing people seems like something a gouald would do.

K7SGJ
03-24-2013, 11:18 PM

Therefore, God approves of being stoned, no?

N2NH
03-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Therefore, God approves of us
being stoned, no?

Maybe He's just trying to get our attention.

N2RJ
03-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Are they? Or is the current hype + social media just making us more aware?

I think this.

n2ize
03-25-2013, 01:03 PM
I think this.

I agree. Considering how many thousands of meteors large enough to produce a significantly noticeable fireball yet not big enough to result in a major impact event enter our atmosphere each year the odds are favorable that a percentage of them are going to occur at night and be noticed in populated areas. However most end up in the ocean, in unpopulated areas, or, during the day and go unnoticed. I've seen at least 3 spectacular ones in my life so far and I know a couple of people who have witnessed more.

kb2vxa
03-25-2013, 07:33 PM
that isnt very godly
Yes it is.
He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

N2NH
03-26-2013, 07:42 AM
I must say that it is getting to be monotonous how one of these two say it and the other agrees as if that is verification. Predictable. They're sure close. :snicker: