PDA

View Full Version : The Soldering Gun Debate - The one thread to rule them all...

NQ6U
03-22-2013, 01:43 PM
When soldering guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have soldering guns!

NOTE: Any mention of actual firearms in this thread will result in brow beatings, tongue lashings and a flaming bag of dog poop on your front porch.

NA4BH
03-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Flux off !!

NQ6U
03-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Flux off !!

It's 60-40 that I'll give up my soldering gun when the pry it from my burnt, dead hands.

NA4BH
03-22-2013, 02:01 PM
It's 60-40 that I'll give up my soldering gun when the pry it from my burnt, dead hands.

They might braze you on the surface, mounting in the need for silver nitrate.

NY4Q
03-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Can I mention Hot Air Rework Stations?

NQ6U
03-22-2013, 02:07 PM

Only if it's not a semi-automatic assault-type hot air rework station.

NA4BH
03-22-2013, 02:10 PM
With a 30 ounce spool of solder.

X-Rated
03-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Ah keep muh solder gun cleanin' kit nearby lest one of dem neighbor kids gets on muh lawn with a damned walkman and a cald sodder joint.

KJ3N
03-22-2013, 02:42 PM

I think we've had enough mention of Hammity, O'Really, and Limpbag around here. ;)

WØTKX
03-22-2013, 02:44 PM
I have prepped, with a large stockpile of lead (based).

NA4BH
03-22-2013, 02:46 PM
I have prepped, with a large stockpile of lead (based).

Would you say you were weld stocked?

X-Rated
03-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Can I talk about my Arrow Staple Gun? Those thing are so shiny. They have quite a kick when you use them too. You know you have nailed you target with that one.

Back to the other guns. Now we have RoHS compliant solder. Seems like many people say "Rojas", but I tell them that there is no "j" in RoHS. That really drives me up a wall when they say "Rojas". That is a solder with a hotter melting temperature.

Anyone else use lead free solder?

WØTKX
03-22-2013, 03:20 PM
What's the rosin for asking?

N2NH
03-22-2013, 03:39 PM

NOTE: Any mention of actual firearms in this thread will result in brow beatings, tongue lashings and a flaming bag of dog poop on your front porch.

Just drop Sister Misericordia off with her steel three-sided ruler. That'll teach 'em. And they won't be able to type for a month too. :lol:

X-Rated
03-22-2013, 03:56 PM
What's the rosin for asking?

There's never been any resin.

w2amr
03-22-2013, 04:14 PM

Got me a 200/260 watt weller, And I ain't afraid to use it.
http://www.robotroom.com/Inside/Soldering-Batteries/Weller-soldering-gun.jpg

X-Rated
03-22-2013, 04:17 PM
Summmokin'.

NY4Q
03-22-2013, 04:22 PM
IB4TL

NQ6U
03-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Got me a 200/260 watt weller, And I ain't afraid to use it.
http://www.robotroom.com/Inside/Soldering-Batteries/Weller-soldering-gun.jpg

Just waving that big sucker around ought to be enough to scare off any cold solder joints.

X-Rated
03-22-2013, 05:36 PM
George's Smitten Weller. I know I would be Smitten with one of those.

PA5COR
03-22-2013, 05:40 PM
9 soldering irons 5 temp controled from 10 - 100 watts, and 5 Kg lead based 60/40 rosin solder in supply before the idiots ban it.
And not to forget 1 gas soldering iron for on the roof or other places electricity is a problem, that one will do most serious work outside can be set from 10 to 90 watts power.
Works hours on one fill.

Think i'm set for the last 20-30 years i might have.

X-Rated
03-22-2013, 05:48 PM
My grandkids wanted a solder gun. You can't just buy a real solder gun for a 6 year old so we got him one of the toy solder guns. It is so cute with the little orange tip on the end. The pretend like they are going to solder with it and I tell them to settle down with it. They said, "Grandpa. How do we solder the IC's that are ball grid arrays?" So the old softie I am, I got them a toy solder hot plate. They are heavy into toy solder paste now.

NQ6U
03-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Just got the April issue of Guns & Solder Magazine today. There's a great article on the new .460 Weatherby temperature controlled soldering station and it's a real beast. It weighs sixty pounds and the author used it to solder some 4-0 solid copper wire to a steel flagpole.

N8YX
03-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Go Pace or go home.

Suckas:

K7SGJ
03-22-2013, 07:19 PM
Yeah, but what about the solder, sucker?

NQ6U
03-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Yeah, but what about the solder, sucker?

They can suck my solder when they suck it off my hot, tinned tip.

NA4BH
03-22-2013, 07:27 PM
They can suck my solder when they suck it off my hot, tinned tip.

Are you guy's hinting at the "Chrome off a trailer hitch/through a garden hose" theory?

N2CHX
03-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Wow. >backs away slowly<

K7SGJ
03-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Wow. >backs away slowly<

Smart move. I wouldn't turn my back on this buch either. Liable to end up with a.........a.........nevermind.

NQ6U
03-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Lib'ruls, you know. They just can't handle tough-guy soldering gun talk.

K7SGJ
03-22-2013, 07:56 PM

No, but for being so helpful, they certainly deserve a tip.

X-Rated
03-22-2013, 07:59 PM

We are too wicked for those guys.

http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cat/images/80-4-10_700.jpg

K7SGJ
03-22-2013, 08:37 PM
The place is going to pot.

X-Rated
03-22-2013, 08:40 PM
If you don't like the topic, find another thread and wave solder goodbye.

http://www.spectratechmfg.com/images/wave-solder.jpg

NA4BH
03-22-2013, 09:11 PM
I think I'm gonna go get a beer at the solder bar.

K7SGJ
03-22-2013, 09:16 PM
http://www.freeautoshow.com/lighted_clocks/pics/gif/ROSIN.gif (https://forums.hamisland.net/#pic)

AE1PT
03-23-2013, 12:33 AM
I live in New York. There is a law here that says the bin cannot have more than three rolls of solder in it. More than that implies tactical soldering.

Who does not love soldering? I think about it off and on all day. As soon as I get home--after getting worked up looking at all the sweet things out there I would love to pin down and solder--the first thing I do is get my iron ready for vigorous soldering session.

First I turn it on--slowly bringing up the heat. The little screw that holds my tip on always gets a tweak or two. Then, I plunge it hard and fast into that golden, curly ball of brass brillo until it shines. A few quick laps across the wet sponginess that is awaiting me--and a touch of some new solder to the end to make the session last longer.

Hours later, we are both spent. In and out, back and forth--it's amazing how many directions and ways soldering can be done. The sponge is now too dry and my tip is caked and crusty. The reek of rosin hangs heavily in my beard and makes it clump together. I should shower but am loth to remove the proof that I have spent all evening soldering. Is there such a thing as too much soldering?

Sometimes, sometimes when it is very late at night I will wake up and think about it. Sneak down the stairs and fire up the computer. Making sure that no one is about, I surf off to YouTube and watch others solder while I fondle my drawer of tips or stroke my solder sucker. I think that I am an addict.

Please send cash to my Paypal account for buying 60/40 solder rolls and new sponges. There is nothing like breaking in a new perky little sponge...

NA4BH
03-23-2013, 12:41 AM
The sponge is now too dry and my tip is caked and crusty.

Please send cash to my Paypal account for buying 60/40 solder rolls and new sponges. There is nothing like breaking in a new perky little sponge...

Pregnancy can happen with a dry sponge. Jus' sayin'. Usually when the sponge is dry, the solder is soft.

KG4CGC
03-23-2013, 02:07 AM
Anyone here ever learn to solder plastic?

PA5COR
03-23-2013, 02:13 AM
PVC good? did that as pipefitter welder with pvc piping welding it with hot plates till both ends started to melt stick together, hold, and you were done.

KG4CGC
03-23-2013, 02:57 AM
Yeah. It's kind of welding. It's how kayaks are fixed too.

w2amr
03-23-2013, 04:08 AM
10 gauge stranded or solid, No problem.

N2NH
03-23-2013, 05:50 AM
Anyone here ever learn to solder plastic?

Used to use a glue that welded pieces together when I modeled. Does that count?

I like working with Copper. Makes great antennas. None of that pencil point stuff fer me. :lol:

http://globalsafety.in/images/Welding_Torch.jpg

N8YX
03-23-2013, 05:57 AM
This is a good plastic welder kit:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_384313_384313

This one? Your air compressor had better be able to supply the rated air pressure and flow or you'll burn out the heater element. Don't ask me how I know.

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/plastic-welders/plastic-welding-kit-with-adjustable-temperature-96464.html

w2amr
03-23-2013, 06:10 AM
Got a dealer who can supply me with the hard stuff .
http://techflux.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/hot-max-24152-4060-grade-weight-1-pound-18-inch-acid-flux-core-solder-photo-001.jpg

N8YX
03-23-2013, 09:00 AM
My late father-in-law left his soldering iron to my nephew but he left all of the torches and heavy duty stuff to me.

I now have enough in the way of silver solder to build a copper J-pole which would stretch halfway across the state.

K7SGJ
03-23-2013, 09:09 AM
My late father-in-law left his soldering iron to my nephew but he left all of the torches and heavy duty stuff to me.

I now have enough in the way of silver solder to build a copper J-pole which would stretch halfway across the state.

A stately J pole?

K7SGJ
03-23-2013, 09:12 AM
I live in New York. There is a law here that says the bin cannot have more than three rolls of solder in it. More than that implies tactical soldering.

Who does not love soldering? I think about it off and on all day. As soon as I get home--after getting worked up looking at all the sweet things out there I would love to pin down and solder--the first thing I do is get my iron ready for vigorous soldering session.

First I turn it on--slowly bringing up the heat. The little screw that holds my tip on always gets a tweak or two. Then, I plunge it hard and fast into that golden, curly ball of brass brillo until it shines. A few quick laps across the wet sponginess that is awaiting me--and a touch of some new solder to the end to make the session last longer.

Hours later, we are both spent. In and out, back and forth--it's amazing how many directions and ways soldering can be done. The sponge is now too dry and my tip is caked and crusty. The reek of rosin hangs heavily in my beard and makes it clump together. I should shower but am loth to remove the proof that I have spent all evening soldering. Is there such a thing as too much soldering?

Sometimes, sometimes when it is very late at night I will wake up and think about it. Sneak down the stairs and fire up the computer. Making sure that no one is about, I surf off to YouTube and watch others solder while I fondle my drawer of tips or stroke my solder sucker. I think that I am an addict.

By any chance, are the center-fold pages of your April Techni-Tool catalog stuck togther?

NQ6U
03-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Today I'm headed over to the soldering gun show at the Rutdarling County Fairgrounds. No background check and the concealed carry laws are winked at so I can pack my Weller and a couple of thirty-round rolls of acid core solder under my jacket. Just in case, you know?

w2amr
03-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Today I'm headed over to the soldering gun show at the Rutdarling County Fairgrounds. No background check and the concealed carry laws are winked at so I can pack my Weller and a couple of thirty-round rolls of acid core solder under my jacket. Just in case, you know?
Niiiiiiiiice! :agree:

N2NH
03-23-2013, 12:24 PM

Just remember to lock and load. :yes:

Have you ever tried an automatic?

http://www.yaotek.com/store/Assets/ProductImages/585m-v12.jpg

WØTKX
03-23-2013, 12:33 PM

I KNEW I recognized the writing style. You were a regular contributor to Penthouse Forum, eh?

KG4CGC
03-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Used to use a glue that welded pieces together when I modeled. Does that count?

<snip>
Not really. You would use a pencil type hot air blower and strips of plastic that matched the color of the part you are working on.

NQ6U
03-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Not really. You would use a pencil type hot air blower and strips of plastic that matched the color of the part you are working on.

Technically, gluing plastic does count as welding. It's called solvent welding (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_welding#Solvent_welding). But this thread has nothing to do with anything serious, so stop it, okay?

KG4CGC
03-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Technically, gluing plastic does count as welding. It's called solvent welding (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_welding#Solvent_welding). But this thread has nothing to do with anything serious, so stop it, okay?

I know about the slight chemical melting that occurs in such circumcisions but what I was thinking about literally uses heat to melt and shape plastic to seal holes as well as make stronger structures.
I've also done some hot glue gun work in my day.

X-Rated
03-23-2013, 02:03 PM
We need a hot glue gun thread. I hate posts on hot glue guns. People are too opinionated on hot glue guns and they think they know it all. Their opinion in the glue stick parameters is all that matters to them and no one else can comment about their preferences without being shouted down. I think they should ban a salt in hot glue guns.

NQ6U
03-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Agreed, hot glue gun fanatics are perverts. I believe that hot glue guns are nothing more than surrogate penises to make up for the owner's lack of the real thing.

Besides, real men use soldering guns.

K7SGJ
03-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Yeah, but you can use hot melt glue to spackle your butt shut.

NQ6U
03-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Yeah, but you can use hot melt glue to spackle your butt shut.

I rest my case.

There was an article in a recent issue of American Solderman that really pulled back the covers on hot glue gun nuts. Not a pretty sight, either. Hot glue gun ownership should be heavily restricted but everyone in Congress is in the pockets of the glue gun industry and live in fear of the NGA (National Glue Association) so it's not going to happen any time soon.

X-Rated
03-23-2013, 03:11 PM
I rest my case.

There was an article in a recent issue of American Solderman that really pulled back the covers on hot glue gun nuts. Not a pretty sight, either. Hot glue gun ownership should be heavily restricted but everyone in Congress is in the pockets of the glue gun industry and live in fear of the NGA (National Glue Association) so it's not going to happen any time soon.

http://mauldin.patch.com/articles/officials-mauldin-man-killed-at-lec-armed-with-hot-glue-gun

Criminals use hot glue guns to commit crime. They should be shot and killed.

w2amr
03-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Just remember to lock and load. :yes:

Have you ever tried an automatic?

http://www.yaotek.com/store/Assets/ProductImages/585m-v12.jpg
Nice looking piece. Don't burn yer eye out.

K7SGJ
03-23-2013, 05:59 PM
http://mauldin.patch.com/articles/officials-mauldin-man-killed-at-lec-armed-with-hot-glue-gun

Criminals use hot glue guns to commit crime. They should be shot and killed.

Or hot melt glue their balls together. After all............................if you can't lick em, join em.

X-Rated
03-23-2013, 08:26 PM
Or hot melt glue their balls together. After all............................if you can't lick em, join em.

I think that is written in the penile code somewhere. Those laws are pretty hairy.

NA4BH
03-23-2013, 08:28 PM
I think that is written in the penile code somewhere. Those laws are pretty hairy.

If convicted they put you in the sweat box too. It's nuts, I know, but it is true.

KC2UGV
03-23-2013, 09:04 PM

Solvent welding is not welding? It's how I weld aluminum!

AE1PT
03-24-2013, 12:05 PM
But this thread has nothing to do with anything serious, so stop it, okay?

This is some dead serious shit being discussed in this forum. Some folks like Fred are into some real EXOTIC soldering. Those posers talking about plastic are just wannabes.

Not serious enough? You could always swim over to the Swamp and debate antennas with Chip and Owen... :cool2:

Meanwhile, I have to go polish my tip some more. :twisted:

XE1/N5AL
03-25-2013, 02:02 AM
While in Puerto Vallarta, I bought an el-cheapo soldering iron to quickly repair something. After using it, I stuffed the soldering iron in my laptop bag and completely forgot about it. A week later, Mexican airport security found the iron in my laptop bag as I was trying to board an airplane. I had to surrender it in order to get on the plane. They must have feared I would try to solder-up a Heathkit using the outlet in the airplane lavatory.

If this had happened in the States, DHS would have probably carted me away and then put my soldering iron on display as an example of a confiscated terrorist weapon. But, here in Mexico, I got on the plane (sans soldering iron) without further incident. I suspect the security screener just stuffed the iron in his pocket and took it home with him. :)

P.S., Thanks to Operation Flux and Furious, high-wattage soldering guns are now much easier to obtain down here.

N2NH
03-25-2013, 06:27 AM
This is some dead serious shit being discussed in this forum. Some folks like Fred are into some real EXOTIC soldering. Those posers talking about plastic are just wannabes.

Not serious enough? You could always swim over to the Swamp and debate antennas with Chip and Owen... :cool2:

Meanwhile, I have to go polish my tip some more. :twisted:

Chip doan wanna deebate me. Might even still be in the archives. Then there was the no code tool. That was pretty funny too.

Gave me mondo anti secret squirrel cred.

N2RJ
03-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Boy do I love me some hot lead! (and tin, and rosin).

I have a good few soldering tools. I have an Edsyn 951SX that I use for SMD. Does the job really well. I also have a cheapie radioshack soldering station.

I have a 12 volt soldering iron with a pistol grip and a barrel shroud. Comes in really handy. Hope someone doesn't get a bright idea and ban them because of the evil cosmetic features.

I also have portable butane soldering irons, two from Radio Shack and one from Bernz-O-Matic. The BOM one also sees duty as a torch and lighter. But a friend showed me his solder-it butane iron, and I think I'll get one of those. The gas soldering tools really come in handy when I'm on my tower or someone else's.

kb2vxa
03-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Boy do I love me some hot lead! (and tin, and rosin).

W2NAP
03-25-2013, 07:42 PM
I used to have 2 or 3 irons around here.. not sure what happened to them. ain't seen them in ages.

X-Rated
04-16-2013, 03:21 PM
I used to have 2 or 3 irons around here.. not sure what happened to them. ain't seen them in ages.

Some kid will find them and use an extension cord to rob a Radio Shack (R). For that reason, i am not in favor of those large solder rolls were someone could roll off around 50 feet of lead/tin without reloading.

And what the flux? Accomplices could bring the flux along to assure excellent solder flow, but if you bring too much solder, you will need a lot of flux. The accomplice could carry it in a wheelbarrow. They could call her the "Rosin Cart-er".

K7SGJ
04-16-2013, 07:49 PM
You do know that breathing all those fumes from soldering will make you sick, but if you stop for a few days, you will get Weller.

AE1PT
04-16-2013, 09:21 PM
You do know that breathing all those fumes from soldering will make you sick, but if you stop for a few days, you will get Weller.

Yes, but you will not be as good as you were before you got worse. There is residual, permanent damage. Your post ^^^^^^^ proves that.

X-Rated
04-16-2013, 10:59 PM
Also chicks dig guys with soldering guns. Well, cheap ones anyway. One chick was real cute, so I ...

http://www.all-spec.com/images/product/kester/kwlf4800.jpg

Then I solder.

K7SGJ
04-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Sounds more like a case of solderme.

X-Rated
04-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Yeah. There was some of that until she felt she was getting burnt and asked for ...

http://cloudfront.zorotools.com/product/full/5JC06_AS01.JPG