PDA

View Full Version : IC-718

W3WN
03-21-2013, 09:24 AM
Anyone have or had an ICOM IC-718? Be willing to talk about it?

KB3ERQ (no longer /AG) was asking me some questions this morning about the radio, and I'm simply not familiar with it.

Reading the spec sheet from ICOM, or a catalog description online, is one thing. Hearing about real-world experiences is another...

KJ3N
03-21-2013, 09:38 AM
It's the very bottom of the Icom line. Not a lot of frills. Filter options are expensive and you only get to put in one filter, so decide if you're going to be an SSB or CW operator up front.

It's an OK radio for the casual SSB ragchewer on 40m and above. CW ops should get the 500Hz filter up front. For semi-crowded bands like the General portion of 75m, it's going to start to have problems. If there's an SSB contest on, just shut it off and go do something else.

If your budget is minimal, this is the radio you buy. There are better choices, if you can spend more.

NQ6U
03-21-2013, 09:55 AM
I've used one and agree with Jim. It's a decent but very basic rig, adequate for a beginner or causal user but there's a reason you see so many used ones for sale. Once you get more interested in serious DX or contest work, it's not going to cut it. It does have a DSP unit built in, though, as well as Icom's twin passband tuning, both of which are kind of nice.

BTW, the fact that used 718 can be had relatively cheaply has made it a popular choice among the PSK-31 crowd—a lot of them pick up a used unit off eBay or QRZ and dedicate it to digital work, where the rig's shortcomings are not so much of an issue.

N8YX
03-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Talk to me about slaving a 718 to an R75 and controlling a remote antenna tuner...anyone done this?

WØTKX
03-21-2013, 10:59 AM
I have had some face time with it. It's an OK radio.

For the money, I'd buy a better radio from the used market. IC-7000, Ten Tec, maybe a used FT-450? Lots of choices, better value. Just like a decent used car.

K7SGJ
03-21-2013, 03:25 PM
I have had some face time with it. It's an OK radio.

For the money, I'd buy a better radio from the used market. IC-7000, Ten Tec, maybe a used FT-450? Lots of choices, better value. Just like a decent used car.

Just a little harder to change the oil.

WØTKX
03-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Oh, I dunno, it depends.

A fairly recent model is likely to be surface mount technology, but new and reliable.

An older rig with discrete components from a good home is probably already fixed.

You can change the oil yourself. ;)

KB3LAZ
03-21-2013, 05:03 PM
I used one for awhile and it worked well for ragchew. No frills, bells, or whistles but if the point is to chew on ye old rag, it works just fine. As others have noted, for anything else, there's master card.

K7SGJ
03-21-2013, 06:59 PM
I used one for awhile and it worked well for ragchew. No frills, bells, or whistles but if the point is to chew on ye old rag, it works just fine. As others have noted, for anything else, there's master card.

And would you care to share that number with your buddies? Don't forget the expiration date, and the three digit thingy on the back.

KG4CGC
03-22-2013, 12:10 AM
I agree with anyone who says that on the used market, between the IC-718 and the FT-450, the 450 would be a better buy. More bang for the buck as well as more options. Built in, that is.

W2NAP
03-22-2013, 12:28 AM
Id rather have a Kenwood TS-450 then a IC-718

Jeff K1NSS
03-22-2013, 04:14 AM
My one and only rig for the better part of a decade. For my casual operation, ie SSB/CW light DXing, rag chews and contesting I could have used a filter now and then but never got around to buying one. Did get around to buying the nonIcom plugin enabling tune up mode and recommend that cheap improvement. Packs easy,took it to Bermuda several times, activated the Isles of Shoals, my auntie's remote West Virginia farm, and won 2005 ARRL DX test low power single op phone for British Virgin Islands, um, for which I was the only entrant. Mind you, my previous rig was a DX-40/VF-1 with Hammarlund Super Pro in 1965, so my little Icom was a quantum leap and the novelty of digital frequency dial-up has yet to fade. Makes dots and dashes automatically, by gee! I think I'll keep her.

W3WN
03-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks, all.

I've passed the messages on to Ben.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not certain what he has in mind. I'll try and draw that out of him at lunch today.

I can tell you that he really likes my Omni VI+. And he regrets letting a certain Omni V slip through his fingers (Fred, I think you know of which rig I speak!) but he didn't have the shekels at the time.

I've previously suggested that he pick up an older rig, relatively inexpensively (I was always fond of the TS-140S, for one). Operate that for awhile, see what you like & don't like, see what types of operating suits him. And then decide.

[ BTW, on a slightly unrelated note, once he gets a rig, I'll be getting that 10 meter rig back. Now that I have the Argonaut V to drive my 6 meter transverter, I probably won't need it anymore... but first things first. ]

NY4Q
03-22-2013, 11:58 AM
I picked up one in the tech special category for $325. It worked on most bands. The feller I got it from had bought it from "A Disabled Christian" [LOOK OUT] who failed to disclose that the rig had a few burned parts inside.

I think it had been transmitted into and after replacing a few parts, I'll have to say I like the little feller. Its my main rig at the moment.

WX7P
03-22-2013, 12:42 PM
I picked up one in the tech special category for $325. It worked on most bands. The feller I got it from had bought it from "A Disabled Christian" [LOOK OUT] who failed to disclose that the rig had a few burned parts inside.

We had a saying when I was in the insurance claims biz. If there's a fish on the contractor's business card, check your wallet.

I think it had been transmitted into and after replacing a few parts, I'll have to say I like the little feller. Its my main rig at the moment.

Sarah gave me one for Christmas in 2006 when they were running the free dsp sale. The new price was definitely worth it. My only real complaint with the radio is the speaker is pretty tinny. I find my 746Pro to be easier to use, but it also cost 3x as much.

The 718 was the only radio/accessory that is not in service that survived by great ham radio purge of last year. I see no reason to replace it. I'm going to take it with me to Tulelake (CA) and operate the contest. I (stupidly) planned my plane flight on March 28. I forgot about the contest. It would have been fun to work it from here. I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with 8 zillion JA contacts...

NY4Q
03-22-2013, 01:06 PM
We had a saying when I was in the insurance claims biz. If there's a fish on the contractor's business card, check your wallet.

And keep your eye on your wife and kids.

W3WN
03-24-2013, 04:12 PM
Again, thanks for all for their feedback.

After reviewing it, and asking me a lot of questions... one more day of this, he's buying me lunch!!... Ben is now looking into the ICOM IC-7200.

So, once again... any thoughts from anyone who's used one?

WX7P
03-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Uh, we told you.

It has some issues, but for an inexpensive radio, it's good.

NQ6U
03-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Again, thanks for all for their feedback.

After reviewing it, and asking me a lot of questions... one more day of this, he's buying me lunch!!... Ben is now looking into the ICOM IC-7200.

So, once again... any thoughts from anyone who's used one?

From my club's "HF Elmer" who owns an IC-7200: "Icom did not do anything wrong when they designed this radio." What he meant was that, it's about as good a radio as you can expect in that price range. Looks cool, too.

NY4Q
03-24-2013, 05:31 PM

Keep it going until he decides on an IC-7410. :)

KJ3N
03-24-2013, 06:01 PM
It would be nice to know what are the main decision factors. Price? Performance? Something else?

An IC-7200 is probably a good price/performance compromise for the average ragchewer, and entry level DX chaser. It's also a good choice for the average ham who has a basic outdoor antenna (BTV vertical, or G5RV at 35 feet).

If the antenna is a standard tri-bander at 50 feet (or better), or several wires up 50 feet or better, I might suggest the Kenwood TS-590. This would be a good choice for a mid level DX chaser as well.

Then there are things like SteppIRs, rhombics, TH-DX11s, etc. Then you can start talking about blowing big wads of cash.

Just my thoughts.