PDA

View Full Version : Island Frequencies Redux

K7SGJ
03-20-2013, 12:22 PM
A while back we had some discussion about selecting a frequency or two or twenty, for Island contacts. I can't find the old thread, so I thought I'd start a new one. Anyway, I was driving downtown yesterday, and the traffic sucked, as usual, and I said to myself "self, it would be fun to see if any of the guys or gals are around". (Self said shut the fuck up) Since some of the Islanders are on the road a lot, and some have long commutes, so it might be neat to just be able to stumble upon another Islander on the sperm of the moment.

Since we are spread out all over hells half acre, we'd need a few choices for day time and a few for night time. And of course one or two for digital.

I know I have had QSOs with a few of the folks here, and I would like to contact even more. Maybe we should have a WAV award. (Worked All Vermin) There are enough artists around here to design something suitable.

Just an idea. Like I said, every now and then, it would be nice (quicker too) to go to a few prearranged spots instead of trying to set up a sked in that forum and having a time lag before someone reads it. I figure some of us are bound to connect from time to time. After all, even a blind squirrel finds his nuts every so often. The bastid

I tend to use 14.070 +/- for PSK (not while mobile, of course) on 20 which might be worth consideration. At the moment, I just have a vertical and dipole up, and use some older 100 Watt Hybrid or SS Kenwoods, but they work. From what I can remember from some of the posts on here, that is about the average for many, some with better stations, some not, some mostly mobile.

Naturally, we would need to choose frequencies appropriate for all license classes.

What say ya'all?

WØTKX
03-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Yea, and maybe EchoLink/IRLP as well. Particularly mobile.

Had some fun on 'IBC's repeater, and one near 'IZE.

NQ6U
03-20-2013, 01:20 PM
I like the idea, Eddie. 14.070 is in the first slot of the memory bank on my rig, in fact, but I know a lot of the people here aren't into digital work so perhaps we should pick a standard Island SSB calling frequency up in the 20m phone area?

K7SGJ
03-20-2013, 01:22 PM
Works for me. Actually, (and don't let this go to your Papal head) having a calling frequency or two is a good idea, then just QSY where ever you want. I like it. Maybe a calling frequency on 40 as well?