PDA

View Full Version : NetOps Guys - DNS Issues? Google?

W4GPL
03-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Without going into much detail, because I might be going crazy..

But have any of you network guys experience any weird issues with Google, Google DNS (8.8.8.8), or GMail in the last 24 hours?

W4GPL
03-18-2013, 06:15 PM
SON OF A BITCH! :rant:

I've been dealing with an issue all day long and it was something so dumb -- I'm too stupid to live.

ad4mg
03-18-2013, 06:42 PM
SON OF A BITCH! :rant:

I've been dealing with an issue all day long and it was something so dumb -- I'm too stupid to live.

When faced with a problem, the simplest solution is often the correct one. I use the Google DNS's and Gmail, nothing unusual here, but I take it you got whopped with an epiphany?

W4GPL
03-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Yeah, I've been fighting this since 5am... and I checked everything, as I had changed nothing. I had convinced myself there was some mega IPv6 peering failure and everything. :lol: But it was all me -- and something had changed, I just didn't do it manually.

KJ4FEL
03-18-2013, 08:43 PM
So that's why I kept getting this...

It's all good now :-)

W4GPL
03-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Yes. :( Sorry..

I'd advise you to check your DNS settings. It's likely you are using just the two Google DNS entries which creates a single point of failure. Now this was MY fault, not Google's, but.. if you had used a 3rd DNS option outside of Google's network, you likely wouldn't have experienced the issue.

W4GPL
03-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Do you know how long you experienced this for? I can't pinpoint exactly when it happened..

PA5COR
03-19-2013, 03:18 AM
I had no trouble reaching the Island, so obviously i can''t answer that....

W4GPL
03-19-2013, 08:05 AM
I had no trouble reaching the Island, so obviously i can''t answer that....Under most reasonably scenarios, you wouldn't have noticed. But you'd be surprised how many people only use 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 as their DNS on their routers/computers. Google's public DNS is by far the fastest in the world, so it makes sense that people would want to use it, but I would really recommended using a 3rd non-Google DNS as a backup.

FWIW - this is a great tool for determining which DNS might be best for you -- https://code.google.com/p/namebench/

W4GPL
03-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Based on the logs, it looks like it started Sunday night at around 19:00 ET.. :dunno: Oh well. Live and learn.

KB3LAZ
03-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Works for me and I dont know what anyone is talking about so I think Ill stick with whatever the default settings are. I mean, I know what a DNS is but I had no idea you could use more than one. :P

kb2vxa
03-19-2013, 12:27 PM
I was having loads of trouble recently with the Google search engine. Every time I clicked on a link a blank screen would just sit there staring at me, eventually it would time out and display the usual error message. Repeated attempts would SOMETIMES connect but it would take unusually long. Around that time I couldn't use the bookmark to connect with the Island, I had to reconfigure the URL slightly to make it work. All is well now since the DNSes got straightened out. The problem however was not universal, my domain is on a private server and my home page (default in Firefox) crappy and incomplete as it is (I gave up on Front Page) came up in an instant and my e-mail always worked flawlessly.

NM5TF
03-19-2013, 04:04 PM
The problem however was not universal, my domain is on a private server and my home page (default in Firefox) crappy and incomplete as it is (I gave up on Front Page) came up in an instant and my e-mail always worked flawlessly.

don't blame you for giving up on front page.....after all it's from M$.....

take a look a Kompozer....I believe there is a Win version.....I used it to do
the "grunt" work on my homepage & then manually edited it to look like I
wanted.....

W4GPL
03-20-2013, 12:21 PM
HamIsland has gone international! ;)

I've added a European DNS.. Cor should now see less latency! :lol:

FWIW, this cost us nothing..

KC2UGV
03-20-2013, 12:30 PM
:thumbsup:

NQ6U
03-20-2013, 01:22 PM
HamIsland has gone international!

What? We're gonna have furriners here on the Island now?? Damn, it's bad enough that they're allowed on our 'Murrican ham radio bands...

kb2vxa
03-20-2013, 02:20 PM
We're a 'Murrican band
We're a 'Murrican band
We're comin' to your town
We'll help you party it down
We're a 'Murrican band, whooo