PDA

View Full Version : Tablets

KB3LAZ
03-18-2013, 10:26 AM
So, since we have a 5 day weekend here we decided to go to a local electronics shop (Fnac) and look at some tab PC's. I figured rather than do some online comparisons I would check them out for myself. I am surprised. Since I had my last tab things have improved, leaps and bounds. The accuracy of the touch screen is much much better, the speed has improved ten fold, etc. Now I have to question what is right for me.

First thing to think about 7 inch or 10.1 inch. Both seem to have their ups and downs. The 7 inch is much more portable but most here seem to be wifi only. Now, wifi only is not an issue for me so this point is moot. 3G is costly here and its very very limited. 200mb per month for around 30€. A waste of money. particularly because wireless hotspots here are aplenty. Back to the portability thing, also moot. I have no need to take a tablet to work as I would have no time to use it and I have my own PC anyway. Text size and onscreen keyboard of the 10.1 appeal to my needs more too.

I guess that is settled. 10.1 inch is for me.

Brand loyalty, none to speak of. Price? I was thinking 200€ or less. Lets call this 270$. This is good, the Fnac brand tablet is 199€ for the 10.1 inch wifi model with 16g memory. Atm I can get it for 150€ and I get a stylus and case.

This leads me to a question. What specs do I need. I figure, limited. I want to surf the web and maybe use it to watch a movie now and again while on a long trip. This is where it gets interesting. Two questions, both related. Is it important for it to support divix or are there more common video formats now? Also, are region restrictions present in digital media or only DVD based media? Example, my laptop from the states wont play a DVD from Spain. However, a downloaded movie works fine. As I will not be watching a DVD on the tablet I figure this is non issue.

So, the tab I am looking at has the following specs.

CPU 2x 1.6g (Cortex A9)
GPU 4x (256k)
1g DDR3
16g memory (32g max SD expansion)
HDMI port (1080p)
USB Micro
3.5mm
Audio Format .mp1, .mp2, .mp3, .wma7, .wma8, wma9, .wav, .ogg, .oga, .flac, .aac, .m4a
Video Format

avi, .3gp, .mp4, .flv, .mpg, .mov, .mkv, .rm/.rmvb, .flv, .dat, .vob

Dual web cams one is 2mp 1920x1080 and the other is VGA 720x480
Wireless 802.11 b/g/n and V4.0 Bluetooth

Anything missing for what I need? Seems to be a decent deal at 150€ atm. Looking at similar tabs the price is 400-500€. Also, I did get to play with it. Seems to work well.

Any thoughts on the specs of this tab or my needing higher or lower specs? My budget is solid. Im not looking for a 300+€ tab.

KB3LAZ
03-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Forgot to mention one thing that pleased me. Not that this is relevant but it was sure nice. I figured out how to change the language in less than 30 seconds. On top of that it gives 8 options for English and 5 for Spanish. That is a nice touch. I assume that is just the ICS 4.1 OS in general.

N2CHX
03-18-2013, 10:57 AM
If you can root it (and you almost certainly can) then regional restrictions on media content are a non-issue. Since I rooted and upgraded it to test Android apps I develop on, my Chinese PiPo S1 now thinks it's a Samsung. You can change pretty much anything you want on most of these little tablets. Personally, I would do a little search and see what people are doing with them and how much modified firmware is available for them or how easily modifiable they are if you want to play with creating your own forked OS for your tab. It's not as hard as it seems and opens up a lot of interesting possibilities. That's just me.

When I bought my PiPo, I was mainly interested in screen size (7 inches was a nice middle ground), battery life, CPU speed, and how much I could screw with the hardware.

KB3LAZ
03-18-2013, 11:05 AM
If you can root it (and you almost certainly can) then regional restrictions on media content are a non-issue. Since I rooted and upgraded it to test Android apps I develop on, my Chinese PiPo S1 now thinks it's a Samsung. You can change pretty much anything you want on most of these little tablets. Personally, I would do a little search and see what people are doing with them and how much modified firmware is available for them or how easily modifiable they are if you want to play with creating your own forked OS for your tab. It's not as hard as it seems and opens up a lot of interesting possibilities. That's just me.

When I bought my PiPo, I was mainly interested in screen size (7 inches was a nice middle ground), battery life, CPU speed, and how much I could screw with the hardware.

Thank you. Though, tbh, Im not really sure what rooting and such is. I simply want to read ham radio sites and facebook for the most part. Music and video may be used once or twice a month. In store I did test youtube and all of my normal sites. All worked well and quickly.

Though, another thing that may be of use is the pdf view app. I have a lot of books for teaching English on flash cards here. I use them for my students when I teach home classes. Will be nice to not have to take my laptop with me.

KC2UGV
03-18-2013, 11:46 AM
It sounds well enough to do what you're asking. Priced a little steep for my tastes. A Nexus 7 is only $199 US.

KB3LAZ
03-18-2013, 12:07 PM
It sounds well enough to do what you're asking. Priced a little steep for my tastes. A Nexus 7 is only $199 US.

269€ for the nexus 7 here. Prices on media devices are not near as cheap here. Basically 100€ less for the one I am looking at.

Know anything about flash player apps? I see there are a few just not from adobe.

Even the price of netbooks here makes me shiver. Would order from the UK but that is even worse. It is what it is.

Thank you. I figured it would work for what I want. 7 inch version is only 100€ but I dont know if I want to go with the seven inch and my fat fingers.

K7SGJ
03-18-2013, 12:57 PM
269€ for the nexus 7 here. Prices on media devices are not near as cheap here. Basically 100€ less for the one I am looking at.

Know anything about flash player apps? I see there are a few just not from adobe.

Even the price of netbooks here makes me shiver. Would order from the UK but that is even worse. It is what it is.

Thank you. I figured it would work for what I want. 7 inch version is only 100€ but I dont know if I want to go with the seven inch and my fat fingers.

Let your nails grow and file the to a point.

KB3LAZ
03-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Let your nails grow and file the to a point.

Lol.

N1LAF
03-18-2013, 01:47 PM
I have the 7" Galaxy Tab plus, on sale from Walmart for less than $300, and it plays everything. Has a MicroSD memory slot, share memory between camera and Tablet, or bank out movies on MicroSD. Super easy to use, has IrD as well as Wireless and bluetooth. You know I like my options, and I have them. There is a little adapter that allows external USB connections, and there is a generic Galaxy USB driver, so no need for proprietary software for your media. Comes with Polaris Office, which is compatible with Microsoft Office files. And it fits into my day planner pocket. The IrD turns the Tablet into a nifty Cable/TV remote control. (look up Peel). And seems to be unbreakable. Fits in my jackets inside pockets. The tablet gets a lot of use.

KB3LAZ
03-18-2013, 01:54 PM
I have the 7" Galaxy Tab plus, on sale from Walmart for less than $300, and it plays everything. Has a MicroSD memory slot, share memory between camera and Tablet, or bank out movies on MicroSD. Super easy to use, has IrD as well as Wireless and bluetooth. You know I like my options, and I have them. There is a little adapter that allows external USB connections, and there is a generic Galaxy USB driver, so no need for proprietary software for your media. Comes with Polaris Office, which is compatible with Microsoft Office files. And it fits into my day planner pocket. The IrD turns the Tablet into a nifty Cable/TV remote control. (look up Peel). And seems to be unbreakable. Fits in my jackets inside pockets. The tablet gets a lot of use.

Ive been looking into the Samsung tabs because I like the samsung media that I already own but I would prefer get a 10 inch...not to mention the price here in Spain. From memory I think what is available here is the galaxy tab 2 7 and 10 inch and the galaxy note. IRRC the note here is right around 500€.

N1LAF
03-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Ive been looking into the Samsung tabs because I like the samsung media that I already own but I would prefer get a 10 inch...not to mention the price here in Spain. From memory I think what is available here is the galaxy tab 2 7 and 10 inch and the galaxy note. IRRC the note here is right around 500€.

Yes. At the time, I didn't want to make a big investment, and I am finding Android with Galaxy Tab to be much better than iPod, so my next pocket device will not be an iPod...

KB3LAZ
03-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Yes. At the time, I didn't want to make a big investment, and I am finding Android with Galaxy Tab to be much better than iPod, so my next pocket device will not be an iPod...

Im just looking for a cheap solution to a back up internet surfing device. That is what is appealing about the 150€ tab. Can save 50€ and go with the 7 inch but Im not sure if I want to go with such a small screen beings I am going to be using it while reading and chatting. Meh, Ill think it over.

N2NH
03-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Im just looking for a cheap solution to a back up internet surfing device. That is what is appealing about the 150€ tab. Can save 50€ and go with the 7 inch but Im not sure if I want to go with such a small screen beings I am going to be using it while reading and chatting. Meh, Ill think it over.

I'm running a 7" screen with the NOOK Tablet and it's pretty good. Lower power requirements and yet very clear. Internet, Netflix, apps (but not as many as Apple), and excellent for reading. The EPUB format for eBooks is the one with the most available out there. Even though Amazon has more on their site, there are more readers and sites with free EPUBs than MOBIs.

Better than a big smartphone, less power than a 10" Tablet and fits in a small bag easily. It comes in 8 or 16 GB and also has an Micro SDHC slot for up to 32GB of Memory to add on.

KC2UGV
03-23-2013, 08:39 AM
I'm running a 7" screen with the NOOK Tablet and it's pretty good. Lower power requirements and yet very clear. Internet, Netflix, apps (but not as many as Apple), and excellent for reading. The EPUB format for eBooks is the one with the most available out there. Even though Amazon has more on their site, there are more readers and sites with free EPUBs than MOBIs.

Better than a big smartphone, less power than a 10" Tablet and fits in a small bag easily. It comes in 8 or 16 GB and also has an Micro SDHC slot for up to 32GB of Memory to add on.

These are the bonus points I've seen for 7" tablets. I think 7" is the sweet spot for tablets, instead of 10" (When you start getting into something more a laptop than a tablet).

KB3LAZ
03-23-2013, 09:39 AM
These are the bonus points I've seen for 7" tablets. I think 7" is the sweet spot for tablets, instead of 10" (When you start getting into something more a laptop than a tablet).

I would have to say that for my main use as an at home machine a laptop is ideal. But spending 500€ more or less to read a few forums while my wife is using the laptop vs spending 150€ just doesnt seem logical. :)

I did a little more playing around at the store today. The 10.1 seems best suited for my needs of reading information on the net, posting on forums, posting on facebook, and replying to emails. I do miss the cost of techno gadgets back home. Even if the euro and the dollar were to be equal, gadgets still cost about 10-20% more depending on what they are. Devices are not always created equal either. Taking a look at laptops in specific they often times use a lightweight "eco friendly" CPU here. Less for more and all of that.

Not related to tablets but seeing it posted reminds me, I do miss services like netflix and hulu. There are a few somewhat similar services here but the title selection is lacking majorly.

KB3LAZ
03-26-2013, 05:06 PM
Okay, so I did some playing and research. I have decided that I really like the samsung galaxy note. It will cost twice as much as the other but that is not the point. I have a question that maybe you can help me with. I cant seem to find the answer.

In the US they sell a different model

N-8010 (International WIFI except USA)
N-8013 (USA WIFI only)

Now, does this mean that I can not use the WIFI in the US if I get the 10 model or does it mean that it is simply not sold in the US? I assume the later. My laptop seems to work fine on wifi here and it is a US model.

I assume that connectivity means are the same.

KC2UGV
03-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Okay, so I did some playing and research. I have decided that I really like the samsung galaxy note. It will cost twice as much as the other but that is not the point. I have a question that maybe you can help me with. I cant seem to find the answer.

In the US they sell a different model

N-8010 (International WIFI except USA)
N-8013 (USA WIFI only)

Now, does this mean that I can not use the WIFI in the US if I get the 10 model or does it mean that it is simply not sold in the US? I assume the later. My laptop seems to work fine on wifi here and it is a US model.

I assume that connectivity means are the same.

With some work, you probably can use it in the US. In fact, it might even just work, since the channel skew is only a few MHz, and they overlap.

KB3LAZ
03-26-2013, 05:40 PM
With some work, you probably can use it in the US. In fact, it might even just work, since the channel skew is only a few MHz, and they overlap.

What I take from that is, there is a possibility that it will not work in the US. Its a lot of money to spend for there to only be a probability that it will work in the US with some work. What I dont understand is why it wouldnt work. My PC works on wifi here as does my samsung smart phone. I suppose, as I can not find the info on the net, the only thing I can do is ask the manufacture.

Im looking at being here about another 6 months. It would be irritatiing to basically spend $500 on a device and have the possibility that it will be useless in 6 months. :( I will just have to continue to research.

KB3LAZ
03-26-2013, 05:56 PM
LOL, Samsung live chat says that they only information that the have is that it is not sold in the USA. Other than that I should try to send a support email. :P. That was useful.

NQ6U
03-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Here, try this tablet:

https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org/static/drugency/images/MYN03510.JPG

Guaranteed to work wherever you are and if by some chance it doesn't, you won't care anyway.

KB3LAZ
03-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Okay, after my third live chat transfer I got what I think is an answer. First it was, Im sorry this is technical support you will have to contact sales. I ofc told them that I had done so already. After being put on hold they told me this. "It is not a connection issue, it is just not sold in the USA." Not much of an answer. I then asked if I took it to the USA with me if it would connect. "It should, can I help you with anything else?"

That is the closes I got to an answer. I got a few, I can not answer that question responses. I got one that said most samsung products will connect to the internet in most countries. I guess this is a liability thing. We wont tell you yes so the answer is most likely.

However, I was revealed that it was a real person. Or at least I assume so. Spelling errors and missed keystrokes and all. Interestingly, the sales department seemed to be more knowledgeable than the IT department.

KB3LAZ
03-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Okay, I widened my search. It seems that many people from the UK have brought their samsung tabs to the US without connectivity issues. It seems that US to EU/UK would be more of a worry than the other way around. As the model I am looking at is international and has more wifi frequencies. Worst case scenario I have to tell it to change channels.

Well worst case would be to re-flash it or so I understand. If and when that time came, I am sure someone around here could help me with that. :)

Thanks for the answers thus far.

KC2UGV
03-26-2013, 06:27 PM
What I take from that is, there is a possibility that it will not work in the US. Its a lot of money to spend for there to only be a probability that it will work in the US with some work. What I dont understand is why it wouldnt work. My PC works on wifi here as does my samsung smart phone. I suppose, as I can not find the info on the net, the only thing I can do is ask the manufacture.

Im looking at being here about another 6 months. It would be irritatiing to basically spend $500 on a device and have the possibility that it will be useless in 6 months. :( I will just have to continue to research.

It should work, degraded, out of the box. There's a difference, because some of the channels used for wifi are skewed a bit between the different countries.

With a little bit o work, you can change the country code for most wifi adapters. It's all just software.

KB3LAZ
03-26-2013, 06:33 PM
It should work, degraded, out of the box. There's a difference, because some of the channels used for wifi are skewed a bit between the different countries.

With a little bit o work, you can change the country code for most wifi adapters. It's all just software.

Thanks. I got to looking around and it seems that a problem will be unlikely. It seems I may have an issue with a few apps if I get them from the EU play store not auto updating. Not a big deal as it says you can change it manually. I had that issue with my phone. 10 second fix.

KB3LAZ
03-29-2013, 07:22 AM
Hum...Now Im curious. I cant seem to find the information I am looking for. Maybe because this is a new subject to me I just dont know how to search for it. It seems that the google play store is different by region. So, I assume that once I come back to the USA I will have to use the USA play store. In which case, does it just change which play store it uses when I use the app or will I have to tell it to do so? I know that here on my phone I had to register the account with my phone number and email as proof of my residence.

I mean, I really dont care which store it uses once I get to the US as long as one works.

I know, I know, Im not listening! Actually I am. I can reflash it or what not and remove all of my worry once I get home. Just curious how all of this works.

Also, I see on the manufacture site it suggests upgrading from ICE to Jelly bean. Now, I assume this is not needed but I dont see any reason not to either. Any thoughts on which OS version to use?

Finally, I get the tab tomorrow. Going to wait to get the dock and full BT keyboard until I get back in the states. I already have enough things I have to change power adapters for. Well, they are DC so I only have to change the lower half but such cords are not cheap on brand specific things. Fortunately I have a nice universal adapter here that I bought for my laptop. I love this thing. It has USB charging ports and is adjustable for voltage both for the USB charging and the direct charging for the laptop.

KC2UGV
03-29-2013, 08:37 AM
I am honestly not sure. I think it's tied to the device's origin. If you bought it in Europe, you're stuck in the Euro market. But, honestly, don't know.

KB3LAZ
03-29-2013, 09:07 AM
I am honestly not sure. I think it's tied to the device's origin. If you bought it in Europe, you're stuck in the Euro market. But, honestly, don't know.

Well, not sure about euro market. I know that most countries seem to have their own. Even if that is the case I am fine with that. Provided it will still work from the US. :P

Lol. This is getting confusing.

Edit: From what I am reading it is tied to your account and credit card information. I may be understanding this wrong but once in the USA I will not be able to connect to the Spanish Play store for example. Nor will I be able to use the attached account for play store USA.

I guess the best thing to do is as was suggested earlier. Root it. I also see there are ways around being stuck with one play store region. Though, the seem a little complicated.

AE1PT
03-29-2013, 11:52 AM

Indeed! You might want to take a look at Lenovo. Great builds, lesser cost than some of the others. My daughter's tablet thinks that it's a Moto--as the JB version and build I put into it has Circles and a few other goodies...

K7SGJ
03-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Here, try this tablet:

Guaranteed to work wherever you are and if by some chance it doesn't, you won't care anyway.

Looks like 10mg diazepam to me. Instead of three or four of those, a ball peen hammer blow to the temple is almost as effective, and a bit cheaper.

AE1PT
03-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Looks like 10mg diazepam to me. Instead of three or four of those, a ball peen hammer blow to the temple is almost as effective, and a bit cheaper.

Yes to the hammer. And by that device little chance of waking up a day later in the jailhouse with no fucking memory of how you got there or what happened in the intervening time. Don't ask me how I know these things to be true...

NQ6U
03-29-2013, 11:56 PM

Nope, Haloperidol. Heavy-duty, old-school anti-psychotic that works mostly by knocking the patient on his or her ass so he or she is too stoned to have a psychotic episode.

K7SGJ
03-30-2013, 12:15 AM
Nope, Haloperidol. Heavy-duty, old-school anti-psychotic that works mostly by knocking the patient on his or her ass so he or she is too stoned to have a psychotic episode.

Sounds like just another day in my life.

KB3LAZ
03-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Well, I got my tab. Its sitting in the stand charging atm. Got to play with it more in the store and I feel that I will be happy. Also, there was a samsung rep at the store. Answered my questions, wfif and google play is a non issue. Google play accounts are region restricted via google email account and credit card. Attaching a US email and Credit card will be the cure when I get home.

I will review it after a few days but Im not sure that it would be a fair review as I have not used a tablet on a daily basis for two years so my expectations will easily be met.

All in all it seems everything will be safe and that I was over thinking. :)

The only thing that sux thus far is the 4 hours that it will take to charge, lol.

That aside, I did my homework online and found the cheapest prices. I went to the store, low and behold, the price was 69€ higher. They did not want to sell it to me for the advertised price, however, my luck the manager was there and said that it was their mistake for leaving the promo price online and that they had to sell it to me for that price. I bet the website is changed shortly. :P

I did check out a samsung windows 8 tab too. Amazing. It was 11.6 inches, came with a keyboard dock with full keys and it folded up like a laptop. Much like the Asus transformer. The speed on that was mind blowing fast. The price was mind blowing as well but not in a good way, lol. However, I think when its time to get my wife a new PC that will be the one. Well, that or something similar.

KB3LAZ
03-30-2013, 01:18 PM
So far so good. The keypad size is surprisingly comfortable. Also I like the multi word suggestion bar. Also I'm setup for Google play in the USA and have done the same for my phone.

Also I got free online storage of up to 50 gigs for two years.

So far I'm happy.

n2ize
03-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Here, try this tablet:

Aprazolam (Xanax) ? or Diaezepam (Valium) ?? Looks a bit large for Xanax so I would guess on Valium ?

n2ize
03-30-2013, 05:23 PM

Oh, okay you already answered my question. Haldol. No thanks unless I decide I want to be a zombie someday. I think that either Haldol or Thorazine were once nicknamed "zombie pills".

NQ6U
03-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Oh, okay you already answered my question. Haldol. No thanks unless I decide I want to be a zombie someday. I think that either Haldol or Thorazine were once nicknamed "zombie pills".

Whatever the case, the monicker could be certainly be applied to Haldol. Once, a friend of mine who was an orderly at an Oregon state hospital traded extra food for a few tabs of Haloperidol from a patient who refused to take his prescribed dosage. This was back in my stupid days when I'd try just about any drug that I thought might have some entertainment potential. Shit, was that ever a mistake; I could certainly understand why the patient wouldn't take his meds. It was three days before I began to feel normal again.

KB3LAZ
03-30-2013, 07:05 PM
The video quality is much more than expected.

N2NH
04-02-2013, 08:34 PM
The video quality is much more than expected.

I have low HD on the NOOK Tablet (Duo Core) and it buffers and plays more smoothly than my Quad Core laptop. YouTube HD looks great on it. If I could, I'd put Watchmen in BluRay on it.

KB3LAZ
04-03-2013, 06:39 AM
I have low HD on the NOOK Tablet (Duo Core) and it buffers and plays more smoothly than my Quad Core laptop. YouTube HD looks great on it. If I could, I'd put Watchmen in BluRay on it.

Both my tab and my laptop are quad core. That being said, aside from a few small irritations, I actually prefer my tab.

Im quite impressed. At the very least a tab has replaced my need for a netbook.

KB3LAZ
04-05-2013, 06:29 PM
So, I am quite happy with this tab. Going for the 10.1 was a good idea as it makes typing a breeze. The simulated keyboard works quite well. Loving the s pen though it did take time to get the hang of. The video quality exceeds that of my laptop. The built in Mic and speakers work wonders. This makes Skype rather painless. Also, the battery life is great at just over 11 hours for simple surfing. This is better than advertised.

All in all I don't think I could have found a better fit for me. Thanks to those of you who sent me suggestions,

n6hcm
04-06-2013, 03:13 AM
the battery life thing is awesome. makes me want to get rid of my phone ...

N1LAF
04-09-2013, 07:08 PM
So, I am quite happy with this tab. Going for the 10.1 was a good idea as it makes typing a breeze. The simulated keyboard works quite well. Loving the s pen though it did take time to get the hang of. The video quality exceeds that of my laptop. The built in Mic and speakers work wonders. This makes Skype rather painless. Also, the battery life is great at just over 11 hours for simple surfing. This is better than advertised.

All in all I don't think I could have found a better fit for me. Thanks to those of you who sent me suggestions,

Samsung makes nice tablets. I like the MicroSD memory feature too - swap out data like music, movies, Pictures, etc...

KB3LAZ
04-12-2013, 07:17 PM
So, I upgraded from Ice cream sandwich to Jellybean. Ive only been using it for a bit now but I am happy with the upgrade. JB paired with Samsung's premium suite is quite nice. Now I can use up to six apps at a time. Not that I would ever do such a thing. Due to the screen size that would be rather uncomfortable on the eyes. However, before I could only utilize a few different apps in dual window mode. Now I can use any that I chose. For example: I couldnt listen to youtube and surf the net at the same time, but now I can.

Aside from that, before when scrolling on some pages while using mobile mode I did get a split second of lag which is now seamless. Also, load time from app to app is quicker. Not that it was slow before as it took only a second or so but now the transition is like liquid. Another thing that has improved is the keyboard and internal dictionary. Even more responsive, hard to believe, and the predictive typing is better. It allows me to type and ignore without manually choosing the word I want. IE: I just keep typing and it overwrites it. (This is more of a bug fix than an upgrade). Finally, (well not the last thing but the last that I have made use of) performance has enhanced. Not technically but the smart distribution has improved which is great for the battery life. With the update screen brightness adjustment in different light settings is more accurate. Also due to this update CPU adjustments are more frequent, allowing for quicker speeds and once again better battery distribution.

I am almost exclusively using my tab now, almost. Even with future updates I dont think the technology is there for me to trade in my laptop just yet. However, the tab has become a nice tool and a great second PC. Playing with a few windows tabs, things do look promising though. However, I'll stick with android for now. There are a few things that I do have to find workarounds for now which is not too challenging. However, I'd like to see an upgraded model of the note in the future at 12 inches or so.

Well, those are my thoughts thus far.

NQ6U
04-12-2013, 07:22 PM
One of the XYL's clients just gave her a first-generation iPad after he upgraded to a newer model. First chance I've ever had to really play with any tablet computer for more than a few minutes and I have to admit it's pretty nifty. If it were mine, I'd try out the PSK31 software that's available for it. That and a QRP SSB rig would make for some very portable fun.

N1LAF
04-12-2013, 07:44 PM
I am almost exclusively using my tab now, almost. Even with future updates I dont think the technology is there for me to trade in my laptop just yet. However, the tab has become a nice tool and a great second PC. ...

Did yours come with Polaris Office? It was an unexpected surprise for me - I can have access to MS Word, Excel, and power point documents. The task manager is a good feature too.

KB3LAZ
04-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Did yours come with Polaris Office? It was an unexpected surprise for me - I can have access to MS Word, Excel, and power point documents. The task manager is a good feature too.
Yep, has office. Though I use snote more.