PDA

View Full Version : Prepping....

al2n
03-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Without going over the top like some of those Youtube videos, what are you doing to prepare for a disaster or other such time when food and such is in short supply?

Up north, I kept at least 12 weeks of canned and dry goods on hand and had some water stored away, but was not too worried about water supply since there were all kinds of natural sources up there. I had a bucket each of rice, beans, flour, and oats. Kept lots of canned goods on hand which we ate and restocked all the time as well as a jar of yeast, baking powder, small bucket of sugar and salt and pepper. Also had a first aid kit and of course camping, fishing, and hunting gear to use if the need was there.

Down here I am still building up a supply. Nice thing here is that I can have rabbits and chickens to supply us with fresh meat on a regular basis. The garden will give us fresh veggies and I am hoping to dehydrate and can any extra for the winter or for part of the emergency stash. Water is still pretty easy to get, but I have four barrels I am using to capture water in the rainy season. Main use will be to water the garden during the dry season, but I guess if something really nasty happened we could drink it. Will also be starting a couple bee hives to provide us with lots of honey.

My main goal is to grow or raise as much of our food as possible. Gives me something to do and will cut down on the grocery bill at the same time.

What are you doing or have done for an emergency stash? Do you keep a few extra canned goods in the pantry or do you have spider holes dug all over the county full of MRE's and hard tack?

NQ6U
03-16-2013, 09:56 PM
I just made sure I moved in next door to a Mormon who doesn't own any firearms.

Seriously, I keep at least ten gallons of drinking water and a store of canned goods in the place. Gardening is difficult here because of the soil and if the municipal water supply should fail, it would be virtually impossible to keep a garden alive since there is little to no rain between the end of April and the beginning of November.

al2n
03-16-2013, 09:59 PM
I just made sure I moved in next door to a Mormon who doesn't own any firearms.

Seriously, I keep at least ten gallons of drinking water and a store of canned goods in the place. Gardening is difficult here because of the soil and if the municipal water supply should fail, it would be virtually impossible to keep a garden alive since there is little to no rain between the end of April and the beginning of November.

Have you considered capturing rain water? A 1000sqft roof will get you over 600 gallons per inch of rain. There are some pretty nifty systems out there to capture rain water off your roof and store it for later use.

KC2UGV
03-16-2013, 10:04 PM
I store about 55 gallons of water in 2 liter bottles, and another 30 gallons in a "cistern". Also, a rotating supply for 60 days of food and sundries.

Other than that? Meh, in a catastrophe that bad, I'd better be out catching and foraging food and water.

That being said, I plan on getting our garden/farm going. I plan on doing that until I die, to get our expenditures down to $0 as close as possible while not living in the stone age. It's hard work, but I'm starting to appreciate our farmers more now, and don't waste food anymore because of how hard it it to produce.

NQ6U
03-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Have you considered capturing rain water? A 1000sqft roof will get you over 600 gallons per inch of rain. There are some pretty nifty systems out there to capture rain water off your roof and store it for later use.

Hmmm, interesting. Never really considered it, figuring that since we get only 10 inches of rain here during the season it wouldn't amount to enough to be worth the trouble. 6000 gallons would certainly be worth it, though trying to store it through the growing season might be a bit problematic.

KC2UGV
03-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Hmmm, interesting. Never really considered it, figuring that since we get only 10 inches of rain here during the season it wouldn't amount to enough to be worth the trouble. 6000 gallons would certainly be worth it, though trying to store it through the growing season might be a bit problematic.

10" per 1000 sq/ft of roofing is about... 74805 gallons...

K7SGJ
03-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Believe it or not in some states it's unlawful to store or harvest rain water, and/or there are restrictions on doing so. Colorado and Utah are two that I know of, and there may be others, as well. I really don't understand how that can be legislated, but eviudently, it can. The bastids.

N2RJ
03-17-2013, 12:09 AM
We don't really prep but the way we live has us prepared.

About 30 gallons of drinking water are available here. We use the 5 gallon bottled water jugs. We also have our own private well so we're not subject to disruption in municipal water supply.

We have a big propane tank out back. So we're not subject to disruption in natural gas supply.

Wood stove. We have trees and lots of dry, seasoned firewood.

Generator with fuel to last 2 weeks if used for essentials only.

TV is satellite and OTA and we have backup internet with 4G LTE. Of course there's also ham radio for communications backup.

Guns, ammo and training. Good for security and also harvesting wild meat if ever it came down to where we couldn't get groceries for a long while.

We grow our own vegetables too. Relatively easy to do. Biggest challenge is pest control but fencing and chemistry fix that.

If we need to bug out, we can live out of one of our vehicles. It is equipped with satellite TV, and has AC power with a heavy duty sine wave inverter so we can power a microwave oven. I have a 12v freezer/fridge I carry along for long trips. Ham radio is going to be installed soon.

We are reasonably well prepared.

n2ize
03-17-2013, 12:27 AM
Also remember that if you have any medical conditions that require medications try and keep enough of your medications on hand to last you at least a few weeks as you may not be able to reach anyone who can dispense it for a while. Also anti-anxiety drugs, pain killers and mild tranquilizers are good to keep in some supply.

I also recommend keeping a supply of booze handy. Its tranquilizing and pain relieving effects can be quite very beneficial to help control anxiety and depression and to raise spirits and confidence during stressful moments and in the absence of other medications. It make be a good idea to keep several stashes of booze in different well hidden locations. It is also a good antiseptic for cleaning wounds.

W4GPL
03-17-2013, 01:13 AM
I keep a lot of dogs..

... for companionship, as I'd be so lonely.. :shifty:

WX7P
03-17-2013, 02:01 AM
I tend not to be paranoid, so we don't have a huge foodstock here.

The only thing we need is the generator we had in Sac for heat if the power goes out.

It's cold here! If the power goes out, that's not a good thing. Sarah and I keep blankets in the cars in case of breakdown.

N2RJ
03-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Also remember that if you have any medical conditions that require medications try and keep enough of your medications on hand to last you at least a few weeks as you may not be able to reach anyone who can dispense it for a while. Also anti-anxiety drugs, pain killers and mild tranquilizers are good to keep in some supply.

I also recommend keeping a supply of booze handy. Its tranquilizing and pain relieving effects can be quite very beneficial to help control anxiety and depression and to raise spirits and confidence during stressful moments and in the absence of other medications. It make be a good idea to keep several stashes of booze in different well hidden locations. It is also a good antiseptic for cleaning wounds.

Yeah I have a good stash of that. I get a lot of free booze from friends around x-mas. I rarely drink but I do use the alcohol for other purposes. In a pinch it can be used as fuel too.

w0aew
03-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Meh.

X-Rated
03-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Meh.

What would you do if an asteroid hit you? What if a gang of monks stoled all your pea shooters? What would you do if your parents cut off your allowance? What about Y2k14? What if there was a shortage of electricity and FNC didn't come in well?

Think about things.

K7SGJ
03-17-2013, 10:47 AM
The only "prep" we have ever done, is keep a few weeks of food around, and fuel for the generators and tractor. Early on, I put a 3000 Gallon holding tank on the well, mainly so the deep submersible pump doesn't have to come on so often. We have a garden for our amusement and we like fresh veggies. I have lots of firearms and ammo, again mostly for our own fun and competition. I've never been concerned about a post apocalyptic world and having to stave off the thundering hordes.

Our biggest threat, and reality, has been losing power for a week or more, and flooding that prevents us from leaving our little slice of heaven. Don't need internet, TV, satellite, or any of that. We have each other (we actually talk to each other, a lot) and all the critters to occupy our time. Actually my greatest fear is being isolated for a length of time, and having a bad brush fire or other calamity that would require outside assistance that wouldn't be available. But, most anything lost could be replaced.

WØTKX
03-17-2013, 11:29 AM
When the shit hits the fan, I expect to be killed by by a fellow citizen negotiating with a gun.

It will be my fault, for not standing my ground, and being armed.

KK4AMI
03-17-2013, 11:46 AM
The only thing I'm prepping for is the ability to independently continue my existence from age 60 to 90, without having to get a job at Walmart at age 75. Booze, Chickens and gardens all help.

K8PG
03-17-2013, 04:33 PM
yep

ad4mg
03-17-2013, 04:39 PM
If you are not ready by now its to late-we have a large supply of anything we may need-especially ammo,water,petro,tents,camo gear.
about $50,000 worth of goods, stashed in 4 states-if someone else finds cache they will be luck/sorry.

"We have..."

Jesus, are you saying there are more like you? :wtf:

KB3LAZ
03-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Meh, in an end of the world situation you always have food. That is, provided you have neighbors. ;)

w0aew
03-17-2013, 04:57 PM
What would you do if an asteroid hit you? What if a gang of monks stoled all your pea shooters? What would you do if your parents cut off your allowance? What about Y2k14? What if there was a shortage of electricity and FNC didn't come in well?

Think about things.

I've always depended on the kindness of strangers.

KJ3N
03-17-2013, 05:26 PM
What would you do if an asteroid hit you?

Nothing. I'd be dead. Takes the worry out of "prepping", doesn't it?

What if a gang of monks stoled all your pea shooters?

It would be a short robbery. I don't have any.

What would you do if your parents cut off your allowance?

That was 35+ years ago. I think I've managed OK.

What about Y2k14?

What about it? Just another year.

What if there was a shortage of electricity and FNC didn't come in well?

Shortage of electricity would be an annoyance. FNC not coming in would be a blessing.

Think about things.

I have. DILLIGAF?

N2RJ
03-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Meh, in an end of the world situation you always have food. That is, provided you have neighbors. ;)

Soylent green is people!!! :lol:

N2RJ
03-17-2013, 06:13 PM
I've always depended on the kindness of strangers.

I don't but I try to help where I can. If SHTF I'd help my neighbors out. I don't expect anyone to return the favor but if they do, I appreciate it.

KC2UGV
03-17-2013, 07:16 PM
If you are not ready by now its to late-we have a large supply of anything we may need-especially ammo,water,petro,tents,camo gear.
about $50,000 worth of goods, stashed in 4 states-if someone else finds cache they will be luck/sorry.

Too late for what? And, what the hell do you think would happen that would require a cache in 4 separate states? Are you like, the POTUS or something lol

WØTKX
03-17-2013, 07:23 PM
The Many Caches of the Insane Clown Posse...

N2RJ
03-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Too late for what? And, what the hell do you think would happen that would require a cache in 4 separate states? Are you like, the POTUS or something lol

Myself and my family are the most important people on Earth. I care primarily about their preservation. The President, whoever he is, whichever party he is from can honestly pound sand. If one has the means to prepare for themselves, more power to them.

KC2UGV
03-19-2013, 05:39 AM
Myself and my family are the most important people on Earth. I care primarily about their preservation. The President, whoever he is, whichever party he is from can honestly pound sand. If one has the means to prepare for themselves, more power to them.

His opportunity cost, not mine. I'm wondering what kind of event he's prepping for that would require that setup.

ad4mg
03-19-2013, 06:06 AM

Most would choose the grammatically correct "My family and I", but you couldn't resist the primordial urge from the reptilian side of your brain to put yourself first, ahead of anything, including your own family.

Your own words reveal a great deal about you, little "R".

KC2UGV
03-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Most would choose the grammatically correct "My family and I", but you couldn't resist the primordial urge from the reptilian side of your brain to put yourself first, ahead of anything, including your own family.

Your own words reveal a great deal about you, little "R".

Oh, he made that clear many times in the past. He doesn't give a crap about anything other than himself, damned be his neighborhood, his community, his city, hist state, or his country. As long as he gets his, fuck everyone else.

WØTKX
03-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Imminently qualified to run for office, as an "inclusive" Republican.

suddenseer
03-19-2013, 10:57 AM
I do try to be prepared to get by for awhile in any weather. Where I used to live, the power would be lost sometimes for days. The windstorm from Hurricane Dwight in 2008 killed the power for over a week at my place. I merely switched to camping mode. Used water from the swimming pool to flush the toilets, and installed the emergency hand pump at the well head for water. I got to read my old books instead of the kindle. If the shit really hits the fan, I am planning on dropping acid, and watching all of the fun from a different point of view. The extinction event possibility really does not bother me anymore, just another day. La la la.

NQ6U
03-19-2013, 11:06 AM
If the shit really hits the fan, I am planning on dropping acid, and watching all of the fun from a different point of view. The extinction event possibility really does not bother me anymore, just another day. La la la.

This. +100,000 Internets.

I have enough stuff in stock to keep the three of us alive through the first few days of a major disruption from an earthquake or other disaster. If things are so bad that there is no help coming in that amount of time, then fuck it.

I need to find some acid to include in the emergency supplies, though. That stuff isn't as easy to get as it used to be.

N2RJ
03-19-2013, 03:50 PM
His opportunity cost, not mine. I'm wondering what kind of event he's prepping for that would require that setup.

Probably an economic collapse? I really don't care but I am prepared for quite a few things just in case. I can't prepare for everything but I'm not giving up without a fight.

K7SGJ
03-19-2013, 05:03 PM
This. +100,000 Internets.

I have enough stuff in stock to keep the three of us alive through the first few days of a major disruption from an earthquake or other disaster. If things are so bad that there is no help coming in that amount of time, then fuck it.

I need to find some acid to include in the emergency supplies, though. That stuff isn't as easy to get as it used to be.

Try a pool supply. It's only a few bucks a gallon.

w0aew
03-19-2013, 06:48 PM
Now that Colorado decriminalized pot, I worry less about lots of stuff. When pot is outlawed, only outlaws will have pot.

kb2vxa
03-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Then only outlaws will have a pot to piss in.

NQ6U
03-19-2013, 11:19 PM
When pot is outlawed, only outlaws will have pot.

And then they'll be too stoned to cause any trouble beyond playing the piano really fast.

NA4BH
03-19-2013, 11:26 PM
I'd bet my left spectacle these Outlaw's had pot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmpvpypXKf0

X-Rated
03-21-2013, 06:56 AM
When prepping, Always turn to the experts who know how to prep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uXT8zZbRFk

N2CHX
03-21-2013, 07:31 AM
My hubs is about to graduate from college with a degree in Emergency Management. Acquiring a generator and proving we can use it in a useful fashion, stocking up on dry goods and water and such was actually a requirement for him to pass one of his main courses and graduate. We had to provide proof with pictures and a description of how each item worked and was a benefit to our survival. Yes, I helped him with a lot of that. If he ever tried to connect our 2 kW generator to the house electrical to run the furnace and such, he'd probably set the house on fire.

KC2UGV
03-21-2013, 07:54 AM
When prepping, Always turn to the experts who know how to prep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uXT8zZbRFk

It's not just a hobby...

Um, yeah it is bub. Lighten up.

n2ize
03-21-2013, 09:45 PM

Good quality acid isn't easy to get these days. Unless you know a reputable source you might be better off with shrooms.