PDA

View Full Version : HamIsland Linux Mint Users Group - Questions and Solutions

N1LAF
03-16-2013, 08:12 PM
On the menu, they have Accessories, graphics, Internet, etc... how to I add programs to these categories? Can I create my own?

KC2UGV
03-16-2013, 08:45 PM
You can. They are added as part of the post-install script in the DEB package. However, to add your own, you can:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-add-entries-in-gnome-menu.html

N1LAF
03-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Your right, and I should have guessed how to do this - how windows-like.

This is the next best thing since Windows XP.

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 09:05 AM
For the first time, Linux has exceeded in user interface over Microsoft Windows (Windows 8). The conversion has started. Right now, for the consumer, Linux (Mint 14) has the OS and software that is used, and bonus - it's free. If they fix the boot setup - automate the swap file requirements and auto partition, I think this will be a no brainer in setup. I know Jeff said one *has* to use the command line time to time, but I say, anticipate and make it graphical user interface with options, in addition to the command line, to pull more consumer market into Linux.

W4GPL
03-17-2013, 09:28 AM
:roll:

KB3LAZ
03-17-2013, 09:34 AM
If only they could make it so my mom could install it. :P Good luck with that. I have a hard enough time getting it done with zero issues. In fact, that has NEVER happened. :P

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 09:48 AM
If only they could make it so my mom could install it. :P Good luck with that. I have a hard enough time getting it done with zero issues. In fact, that has NEVER happened. :P

Completely understand. The loading of Linux Mint 14 was by far the best experience I have had with a Linux install. Only one glitch concerning drives and partitions. The install with the Raspberry Pi comes second.

WØTKX
03-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Based on the recommendations of the OP, I'll stick with Windows.

N8YX
03-17-2013, 10:19 AM
This is the next best thing since Windows XP.

Heresy!

ad4mg
03-17-2013, 10:42 AM
OK, Linux is good, but many of us knew this long ago. I'm a relative newcomer to Linux, started with Ubuntu 7.04 and Slackware 10. If you wanted decent video, you had to custom tune your xorg.conf file. If you wanted to determine which video chipset you had so you could actually proceed, you had to use the terminal window. These things are pretty new-fangled gadgets for the long term Linux guys.

I wish I had entered into the world of Linux far sooner than I did. I am now learning to write useful bash scripts after almost 7 years of Linux experience.

Any sudden recognition that Linux is a superior OS to Windows is old news to many of us. For me, Windows ME provided the kick in the pants. It was a true POS, and Microsoft should have refunded every penny spent on that joke. Now, it's Windows 8.

Welcome to the world of Linux. It's a shame it took you so long...

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Luke, how about sharing more goodness of Linux here? Think many would enjoy some information, tutorials, etc.

NQ6U
03-17-2013, 11:02 AM
LINUX SUX! WINDOWS ROX! 11111111111!

B. GATES

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 11:05 AM
LINUX SUX! WINDOWS ROX! 11111111111!

B. GATES

And how is Windows 8 doing?

;)

NQ6U
03-17-2013, 11:08 AM
And how is Windows 8 doing?

;)

Uh, let's not go there. Besides, Win 8 is really that asshole Ballmer's fault.

—B. Gates

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Uh, let's not go there. Besides, Win 8 is really that asshole Ballmer's fault.

—B. Gates

You da Pope...

;)

ad4mg
03-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Luke, how about sharing more goodness of Linux here? Think many would enjoy some information, tutorials, etc.

My areas of expertise are pretty limited. I believe one has to experience Linux for themselves to appreciate it, if they understand there may be some challenges. I do chime in when someone asks for help in a subject that I'm well versed in.

There's always the annoying loyalty to one particular flavor of Linux that makes me hesitate sometimes. I'm currently sold on Ubuntu, I've learned how to customize the Unity desktop to my liking, but for many, Unity is an abomination. I advised recently how to "fall back" to the Gnome desktop. Because I see issues ahead for Ubuntu, I constantly experiment with several other Linux packages. I have Mint, Debian, Fedora, and Slackware all installed in Virtualbox machines.

I have introduced Ubuntu to perhaps as many as two dozen friends, plus my wife, and my son. Almost without exception, once they learn how to operate either the Unity or Gnome desktops, they seldom revert back to Windows.

I bow to the wisdom of others here who have been running Linux far longer than I have. I remain a student at this time, not a teacher!

W4GPL
03-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Google is your tutorial. And for a guy that's so interested in programming, to shun a terminal is stupid. You're missing out on the power of bash/sed/awk/grep and soooo many other tools that can grab, parse, manipulate, view.. if you rely strictly on a GUI (which is just using a command-line for you), you don't see the raw data, only what the UI/UX developer wanted you to see. Perhaps it's no surprise to me that you want to walk around with your eyes closed.

KC2UGV
03-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Google is your tutorial. And for a guy that's so interested in programming, to shun a terminal is stupid. You're missing out on the power of bash/sed/awk/grep and soooo many other tools that can grab, parse, manipulate, view.. if you rely strictly on a GUI (which is just using a command-line for you), you don't see the raw data, only what the UI/UX developer wanted you to see. Perhaps it's no surprise to me that you want to walk around with your eyes closed.

But, but, but... I used a single OS for many years, so I obviously know better than you would, seeing as you've only used many over your professional career...

KB3LAZ
03-17-2013, 12:19 PM

There are a lot of tutorials out there, very few did me any good with the problems I encountered. It seems that problems are often hardware specific. Unless you either get lucky and someone else posted about the same problem or you have a well recognized (what seems to be brand or chipset dependent) problem, you are on your own.

A linux bible for the linux illiterate would be great. See, the problem is, if you dont understand what you are reading than the tutorial is of little use. Which is why I am happy that my install of fedora went off without a hitch. I tried various flavors beforehand, all with problems, with no avail. Hours, daily, of research is a little too intense for me just to install an OS.

As I said before, if you can get linux installed without a hitch, you are set.

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 12:24 PM

I wasn't shunning the terminal program myself, I was looking at the general public standpoint - the general public do not want to deal with the command line. I am surprised you didn't get that direction, as you can see I used the command line extensively on the Raspberry Pi.

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 12:27 PM
But, but, but... I used a single OS for many years, so I obviously know better than you would, seeing as you've only used many over your professional career...

Keep in mind that I have used UNIX long before you did (probably), wrote C programs in UNIX, and used Windows-like interfaces for my programs, and yes, I did the SED AWK PERL stuff... again, long before you did.

W4GPL
03-17-2013, 12:27 PM
And I don't expect the general public to use a command line, but if you end up using a community based distribution and something doesn't work, you can't be surprised if you end up having to type things into a scary little terminal window once in awhile. That was my point, I'm surprised you didn't get that direction.

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 12:33 PM
And I don't expect the general public to use a command line, but if you end up using a community based distribution and something doesn't work, you can't be surprised if you end up having to type thing into a scary little terminal window once in awhile. That was my point, I'm surprised you didn't get that direction.

Well, I sensed a little dig in there.. whatever. My younger life I was extensively programming, when I was in the Navy, and the beginning of college. But during college, I transitioned to hardware, hard core hardware, so software has taken a back seat. Because of my software background, picking up programming languages is easy compared to coming into it cold. But there are some aspects of programming that really has advanced, so there still is a learning curve to it.

W4GPL
03-17-2013, 12:38 PM
You know, for whatever it's worth, the RHCE exam training focuses heavily on configuring most everything with their GUI tools. So even some of the best Linux admins use GUIs [in theory]. Thus most people agree with you Paul, it's not ideal to expect people to use the CLI, but you have to consider what the end-user was asking was how to make a proprietary commercially licensed wireless firmware work in a community OS. Perhaps Ubuntu has licensed this firmware for distribution, perhaps Ubuntu doesn't care -- but Mint obviously does. If you want out of the box compatibility in a community OS, there are other hardware vendors who make it easier on us [e.g. Intel].

You have to know, in this circumstance, I know a lot more about this than you do.

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 12:42 PM
You have to know, in this circumstance, I know a lot more about this than you do.

And I believe you do. I do like about Linux is the option to use command lines - that it is having the ease of use for the general public, and the neat tools and ability for the power user on the same platform/OS.

W4GPL
03-17-2013, 12:49 PM
Sigh. You're not getting it. What you're asking for, especially when it comes to certain hardware configurations just can't and won't exist. Broadcom is a pretty popular chipset, so in this situation maybe there is [I can't speak to Mint].. Do you know how many thousands of network chipsets are out there and how many dozens of revisions they can be of each? If you have some obscure scenario and don't have 'commercial' support, you're just going to have to open up that terminal.

Even going back to Windows XP, Microsoft was having people use notepad or edit to make changes to their boot configuration and other things -- lmhosts, etc. Sometimes it's just not 100% GUI.

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Interesting Article from Infoworld

February 05, 2013
Microsoft may be seeking protection from Linux with Dell loan
Microsoft also may be trying to influence more hardware designs in the post-PC world with its $2 billion loan to Dell

Microsoft's $2 billion loan to Dell is a sign that the software maker wants to influence hardware designs in a post-PC world while protecting itself from the growing influence of Linux-based operating systems in mobile devices and servers, according to analysts.

Michael Dell and equity firm Silver Lake on Tuesday announced a buyout of computer maker Dell in a deal valued at about $24.4 billion. Dell will continue as CEO of the company, which he founded in 1984. The transaction includes the loan from Microsoft, which in a statement said it views the deal as a commitment to the "long term success of the entire PC ecosystem."

The investment could help Microsoft ensure that Dell doesn't drift toward Linux-based operating systems such as Chromebook or Android, said Al Hilwa, program director at IDC. "For them it's a little investment, but it allows them to put strategic influence" behind the device designs and software implementations, Hilwa said.

Microsoft's Windows 8, which shipped in October, so far has failed to lift PC shipments, which fell by 6.4 percent in fourth quarter of 2012 compared to the same quarter in 2011, according to research by IDC. Dell's PC shipments fell by 20.8 percent during the same quarter. Few touch PC models were available in the fourth quarter, and PC makers failed to effectively communicate the benefits of Windows 8, which was partly responsible for the drop in PC shipments, according to IDC.

Even though Microsoft's loan does not represent a big part of the total value of the transaction, the software maker does not throw around money lightly, and its participation in the deal might be an attempt by the software maker to influence hardware designs in the post-PC world of touch laptops, tablets and smartphones, analysts said.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/the-industry-standard/microsoft-may-be-seeking-protection-linux-dell-loan-212325

Very interesting...

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Sigh. You're not getting it. What you're asking for, especially when it comes to certain hardware configurations just can't and won't exist. Broadcom is a pretty popular chipset, so in this situation maybe there is [I can't speak to Mint].. Do you know how many thousands of network chipsets are out there and how many dozens of revisions they can be of each? If you have some obscure scenario and don't have 'commercial' support, you're just going to have to open up that terminal.

Even going back to Windows XP, Microsoft was having people use notepad or edit to make changes to their boot configuration and other things -- lmhosts, etc. Sometimes it's just not 100% GUI.

Now they log into your computer (with your permission) and do those tasks. Do we have to ask why?

I do know that Linux Mint works with everything on my Netbook, and I am pleased about that.

W4GPL
03-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Microsoft may be seeking protection from Linux with Dell loanWell less interesting and more speculation/sensational tripe.

It cites no credible sources or data backing up their claims. Why would Michael Dell tie his hands for $2 billion dollars on a $24 billion dollar deal? Linux support may not be important to them in the consumer market, but they can't risk alienating enterprise customers who have Linux requirements.

W4GPL
03-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Now they log into your computer (with your permission) and do those tasks. Do we have to ask why?

I do know that Linux Mint works with everything on my Netbook, and I am pleased about that.Fine. Then the question ask-er can buy a commercially supported Linux distribution for hundreds of dollars if that's what they want. However, he was asking about a community supported distribution!

NQ6U
03-17-2013, 01:04 PM
rm -r /*

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Fine. Then the question ask-er can buy a commercially supported Linux distribution for hundreds of dollars if that's what they want. However, he was asking about a community supported distribution!

Or you can get a fully supported Linux on Dell...

However, Dell is changing that. Earlier this year, they announced a pilot program, "Project Sputnik," intended to produce a bona fide, developer-focused Linux laptop using their popular XPS-13 Ultrabook as base hardware. The program turned out to be a rousing success, and this morning Dell officially unveiled the results of that pilot project: the Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition.

The laptop comes with Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS plus a few additions. Dell worked closely with Canonical and the various peripheral manufacturers to ensure that well-written, feature-complete drivers are available for all of the laptop's hardware. Out of the box the laptop will just work. They also have their own PPA if you want to pull down the patches separately, either to reload the laptop or to use on a different machine.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/11/dell-releases-powerful-well-supported-linux-ultrabook/

W4GPL
03-17-2013, 01:11 PM
"Dell worked closely with Canonical".. You're not listening to me. Or you're as thick as a brick. Canonical is a for profit Linux company! NOT, NOT, NOT a community based distribution. They have and will likely continue to make certain compromises in regards to licensing because their goal is to make money. As a matter of fact, Mark Shuttleworth just called us a bunch of elitist who want to intentionally make Linux hard and we're subject to 'whims'.

And of course Dell is going to package their systems with hardware that works with Linux out of the box if they sell it with Linux.

NQ6U
03-17-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm with you, Jeff, but let's face it: most computer users couldn't give a rat's ass about open or community development, they just want their computers to work without a lot of effort on their part. After ten-plus years of Microsoft repeatedly shooting itself in the foot (i.e., Windows ME, Vista and now Windows 8), this Dell/Canonical deal may be the very thing that convinces people to switch to Linux and anything that cuts into the MS domination of the business computing market can't be a bad thing.

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 01:20 PM
I'm with you, Jeff, but let's face it: most computer users couldn't give a rat's ass about open or community development, they just want their computers to work without a lot of effort on their part. After ten-plus years of Microsoft repeatedly shooting itself in the foot (i.e., Windows ME, Vista and now Windows 8), this Dell/Canonical deal may be the very thing that convinces people to switch to Linux and anything that cuts into the MS domination of the business computing market can't be a bad thing.

Exactly on point. :agree:

W4GPL
03-17-2013, 01:31 PM
I'm with you, Jeff, but let's face it: most computer users couldn't give a rat's ass about open or community development, they just want their computers to work without a lot of effort on their part. After ten-plus years of Microsoft repeatedly shooting itself in the foot (i.e., Windows ME, Vista and now Windows 8), this Dell/Canonical deal may be the very thing that convinces people to switch to Linux and anything that cuts into the MS domination of the business computing market can't be a bad thing.I'm not advocating community distributions, I don't care what people use as long as I have a choice. I'm not in this for everyone else, I'm in this for me and if people want to come along.. they can. The point I've been making over and over again is the user was asking about a community based distribution (in another thread) and I said he'd have to use a command line from time to time if stuff didn't work out of the box. And that becomes more and more rare every day, FWIW. So if you're asking about a community distribution, I'm going answer about a community distribution. Paul has muddled up the waters by introducing how major corporations are handling it -- well good for them, I wasn't asked about Ubuntu or Dell, was I? :)

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 01:46 PM
I'm not advocating community distributions, I don't care what people use as long as I have a choice. I'm not in this for everyone else, I'm in this for me and if people want to come along.. they can. The point I've been making over and over again is the user was asking about a community based distribution (in another thread) and I said he'd have to use a command line from time to time if stuff didn't work out of the box. And that becomes more and more rare every day, FWIW. So if you're asking about a community distribution, I'm going answer about a community distribution. Paul has muddled up the waters by introducing how major corporations are handling it -- well good for them, I wasn't asked about Ubuntu or Dell, was I? :)

Actually, Carl was dead on point, as I was seeing Linux becoming more mainstream, at the expense of Microsoft and their own doing with Windows 8. You keep bringing up a point from another thread. What I see interesting is Dell continuing the Linux distribution, putting more resources behind it, as sales of Windows 8 units decrease. For them to come out with a fully functional Linux laptop right out of the box is to go after another niche market, and hedging on losses from Windows 8 boxes. I think this is a smart and prudent move. Microsoft wants some leverage, probably to prevent side by side comparisons, ie XPS 13 laptop with Linux and Microsoft compatible office suite with Firefox $1450, Same laptop except with Windows 8 and Microsoft Office $2000. (fictional for example...)

Savings talk...

W4GPL
03-17-2013, 01:49 PM
You're the one who brought the point in the other thread into this one! Post #4!

And you're also the one who just posted an article saying Microsoft was giving Michael Dell a loan to prevent this sort of thing, which is it?

W4GPL
03-17-2013, 01:50 PM
And like Luke said, Linux has been main stream for awhile now. We haven't even mentioned things like Android and other embedded systems.

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 01:51 PM
You're the one who brought the point in the other thread into this one! Post #1!

And you're also the one who just posted an article saying Microsoft was giving Michael Dell a loan to prevent this sort of thing, which is it?

It is part of the reason, but not the direction taken in this thread.

There was nothing in the article that said what the conditions were (Microsoft load), anything would be speculation. Microsoft would not do anything out of the kindness of their heart, there is some motivation behind the loan.

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 01:51 PM
And like Luke said, Linux has been main stream for awhile now. We haven't even mentioned things like Android and other embedded systems.

Market share of the general public says otherwise.

In the tablet market, yes, Android is very hot, and this has to have Microsoft concerned. I am surprised we don't see Android as mainstream laptop use. I think also that the laptop acceptance of Android is really been replaced by the tablet market itself. The consequences of the Tablet is it's effect on the laptop market. Android is more consumer friendly.

W4GPL
03-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Good loans might simply be better than paying out high dividends? If they can speculate, I can.

W4GPL
03-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Market share of the general public says otherwise.Market share of what? Not phones, not embedded devices, not even desktops anymore. Linux isn't dominating, but for most non-technical websites I run, Linux and Mac still make over 30% of the share almost always.

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Good loans might simply be better than paying out high dividends? If they can speculate, I can.

Just as valid for speculation

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Market share of what? Not phones, not embedded devices, not even desktops anymore. Linux isn't dominating, but for most non-technical websites I run, Linux and Mac still make over 30% of the share almost always.

The facts: Operating Systems Market Share

http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/chart-of-the-day-operating-system-share-march-2012.jpg

In short, Android is exploding in a monumental fashion — and unless Windows Phone surpasses all expectations (and then some), or Apple produces an iPhone 6 with holographic display, it doesn’t seem like Android is done yet. If the trend continues, and the smartphone market continues to expand (which it will for the foreseeable future), then we could be looking at an Android market share of 90% by the end of 2013. 90%, just like Microsoft’s share of desktop PC market. 90%, a complete monopoly of the smartphone market.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/139458-android-now-powers-75-of-all-smartphones-sold-are-we-heading-towards-a-google-monopoly

Mobile Devices:

http://bits.rahilparikh.me/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/mobile_os_market_share_2012.png

This has Microsoft very concerned...

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Market share of what? Not phones, not embedded devices, not even desktops anymore. Linux isn't dominating, but for most non-technical websites I run, Linux and Mac still make over 30% of the share almost always.

Which probably demonstrates the type of medium used to operate your sites... mobile devices.

KC2UGV
03-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Keep in mind that I have used UNIX long before you did (probably), wrote C programs in UNIX, and used Windows-like interfaces for my programs, and yes, I did the SED AWK PERL stuff... again, long before you did.

I'm sure you have...

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 02:09 PM
I'm sure you have...

1993. I have my "UNIX in a Nutshell" in my quick reference library (System V Edition)

KC2UGV
03-17-2013, 02:15 PM
1993. I have my "UNIX in a Nutshell" in my quick reference library (System V Edition)

You're l33t.

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 02:26 PM
You're l33t.

I did what they wanted done. I did C-programming in college using Borland C. C on PC's, C on UNIX, it was all the same, except new commands to use.

W4GPL
03-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Needless to say this is getting off the rails.

I disagree with your assessment of marketshare, Paul. At this point you can't much separate 'mobile/tablet' use from desktop. Many people, especially young people, are abandoning their desktops for tablet use at home. 3D acceleration is going crazy on tablets, kids don't even care about game consoles anymore. I think you're thinking a bit too much like it's 2005. If a mobile device is a primary computing device it's the game changer, that game changer is Linux. It's already there. You're just late to notice.

As for your experience, I certainly don't care. The relevance of what you did as a Unix guy in 1993 has almost nothing to do with Linux today. I worked with HP/UX guys in the late 90's who I wouldn't hire as Linux admins today unless they kept up to date for the last 15 years.. nor would I hire a Linux admin for a HP/UX job. It's almost silly to bring it up.

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 02:36 PM
Needless to say this is getting off the rails.

I disagree with your assessment of marketshare, Paul. At this point you can't much separate 'mobile/tablet' use from desktop. Many people, especially young people, are abandoning their desktops for tablet use at home. 3D acceleration is going crazy on tablets, kids don't even care about game consoles anymore. I think you're thinking a bit too much like it's 2005. If a mobile device is a primary computing device it's the game changer, that game changer is Linux. It's already there. You're just late to notice.

As for your experience, I certainly don't care. The relevance of what you did as a Unix guy in 1993 has almost nothing to do with Linux today. I worked with HP/UX guys in the late 90's who I wouldn't hire as Linux admins today unless they kept up to date for the last 15 years.. nor would I hire a Linux admin for a HP/UX job. It's almost silly to bring it up.

I can tell the difference between desktop work and tablets, and the consumer market is going to tablets and smart phones. So when it comes to desktop computing, Linux has a very small share.

W4GPL
03-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Damn, so all those tablets I see my co-workers carrying around, never sitting at their desk.. I must be totally imagining that.

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Damn, so all those tablets I see my co-workers carrying around, never sitting at their desk.. I must be totally imagining that.

Keep in mind that your working environment is different than mine. No camera phones allowed. There are no tablets where I work.

W4GPL
03-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Keep in mind that your work environment is the exception, not the rule.

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Keep in mind that your work environment is the exception, not the rule.

Probably, and we are focused on our work, not playing around with tablets on the job.

W4GPL
03-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Wow.. you're an asshole. Because replying to e-mails and testing/developing equipment & software is totally playing like playing Angry Birds all day. Funny thing is Paul, we both work in the same industry. If you knew what I've been developing, you'd feel like a real fuckwit.

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 03:08 PM
Wow.. you're an asshole. Because replying to e-mails and testing/developing equipment & software is totally playing like playing Angry Birds all day. Funny thing is Paul, we both work in the same industry. If you knew what I've been developing, you'd feel like a real fuckwit.

You know, people have criticized me for using the same language are are doing now, except I was pushed much harder than you have. What are the chances that most will give you a free pass, again.

If you do a simple search, you will find that tablet use/internet surfing is a big industry problem. You close your eyes to that, and make it as an attack issue, just as you have on this thread. I am done with you today - dismissed.

W4GPL
03-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Gosh - if only our network could be setup in a way that would disallow that sort of thing and we had corporate tablets with software pushes.. :chin: If only.. if only..

The things you don't know are amazing​.

Oh, I'm dismissed. Yes Sir!

WØTKX
03-17-2013, 03:34 PM
:roll:

I've come down from the upper class to mend your rotten ways. My father was a man-of-power whom everyone obeyed.
So come on all you criminals!
I've got to put you straight just like I did with my old man
twenty years too late.
Your bread and water's going cold.
Your hair is too short and neat.
I'll judge you all and make damn sure that no-one judges me.
You curl your toes in fun as you smile at everyone - you meet the stares.
You're unaware that your doings aren't done.
And you laugh most ruthlessly as you tell us what not to be.
But how are we supposed to see where we should run?
I see you shuffle in the courtroom with
your rings upon your fingers and
your downy little sidies and
your silver-buckle shoes.
Playing at the hard case, you follow the example of the comic-paper idol
who lets you bend the rules.
So!
Come on ye childhood heroes!
Won't you rise up from the pages of your comic-books
your super crooks
and show us all the way.
Well! Make your will and testament. Won't you?
Join your local government.
We'll have Superman for president
let Robin save the day.
You put your bet on number one and it comes up every time.
The other kids have all backed down and they put you first in line.
And so you finally ask yourself just how big you are
and take your place in a wiser world of bigger motor cars.

And you wonder who to call on.

KB3LAZ
03-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Speaking of tablet PC's, I see them here but not near as many as I did back in the states. This may have to do with the cost and limitation of 3G connections here. In fact, in my home area back in the states I saw very few outside of campus as well. Ofc your millage will vary. Im country folk.

I am contemplating buying a tablet PC for backup uses. I have had one in the past and hated it but they have made large strides since their infancy. Since my gaming days have pretty much come to an end, the only thing I use the net for is to read AR related sites, do wiki searches, and check my FB.

KC2UGV
03-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Keep in mind that your working environment is different than mine. No camera phones allowed. There are no tablets where I work.

Damn, I guess nobody has a cell phone in your office then, huh? That's gotta suck being stuck in the stone age.

KC2UGV
03-17-2013, 07:45 PM
You know, people have criticized me for using the same language are are doing now, except I was pushed much harder than you have. What are the chances that most will give you a free pass, again.

If you do a simple search, you will find that tablet use/internet surfing is a big industry problem. You close your eyes to that, and make it as an attack issue, just as you have on this thread. I am done with you today - dismissed.

Really? A huge problem? I wonder how all those iPads are working out in the health care industry?

http://www.managemypractice.com/why-healthcare-loves-the-ipad/

You see Paul, internet surfing is only really a problem in organizations where they don't trust their employees. You know, places that think all employees cheat, and steal company property. Much like all the times you've tried making my posting on HI during normal business hours into an issue.

Now, when I gave my two week notice, my employer was shocked, and basically allowed me to write my own counter offer. Basically, whatever it took to keep me. My employer offers freedom, and trust. And, we don't have an issue with people screwing around, not getting work done.

So, you can close your eyes to that, if you like, and remain in the stone age, and continue to think all places are stuck using camera-less Tracphones (About the only phone you can get these days without a camera); or you can admit that your organization is not the norm.

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 07:47 PM
Damn, I guess nobody has a cell phone in your office then, huh? That's gotta suck being stuck in the stone age.

Wow, what a weak reply. We do have computers, e-mail, and internet access. What we don't have is personal surfing on the internet on time that is paid by the customer. Cannot discuss, but in many areas, we are in technologies that haven't reached you yet, so in a way, we see you in the wild west days, not so far back as stone age, as an honest assessment.

KC2UGV
03-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Wow, what a weak reply. We do have computers, e-mail, and internet access. What we don't have is personal surfing on the internet on time that is paid by the customer. Cannot discuss, but in many areas, we are in technologies that haven't reached you yet, so in a way, we see you in the wild west days, not so far back as stone age, as an honest assessment.

And, all of that, without smart phones; is the technology equivalent of being in the stone age. Even the IRS and Treasury Department relaxed their "No Camera Phone" rule, once it became impossible to get a technologically recent phone without one.

And, by "customer", you mean "US Government", right?

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 07:55 PM
You see Paul, internet surfing is only really a problem in organizations where they don't trust their employees. You know, places that think all employees cheat, and steal company property. Much like all the times you've tried making my posting on HI during normal business hours into an issue.

With your view on work ethics, we would not hire you - you would be rejected.

Now, when I gave my two week notice, my employer was shocked, and basically allowed me to write my own counter offer. Basically, whatever it took to keep me. My employer offers freedom, and trust. And, we don't have an issue with people screwing around, not getting work done.

As far as we know, you may have been asked to leave, maybe because others around you couldn't stand you. Not saying that is the case, just a possibility

So, you can close your eyes to that, if you like, and remain in the stone age, and continue to think all places are stuck using camera-less Tracphones (About the only phone you can get these days without a camera); or you can admit that your organization is not the norm.

Camera elements and scratched out lenses allows iPhones on site. There is also Blackberries. So, again, you are talking crap, no understanding at all. Maybe we are not the norm, our standards have to be much, much higher, and much more professional than what you are used to.

KC2UGV
03-17-2013, 08:02 PM
With your view on work ethics, we would not hire you - you would be rejected.

Sorry, I don't do work for death dealers. So, you're right! My ethics would preclude me from working for an organization that is part of the military industrial complex, and a waste of taxpayer dollars.

As far as we know, you may have been asked to leave, maybe because others around you couldn't stand you. Not saying that is the case, just a possibility

I'm sure it's possible. Unless, of course, I'm still working for Sodexo for another week, until I start the new position...

Camera elements and scratched out lenses allows iPhones on site. There is also Blackberries. So, again, you are talking crap, no understanding at all. Maybe we are not the norm, our standards have to be much, much higher, and much more professional than what you are used to.

So, destroy the device, in order to get it approved? And, Blackberry is going the way of the dodo. Again, stone age technology. No, you are not the norm, and your standards are (By technology standards), prehistoric. Professional? That's debatable. Much more professional than what I'm used to? Maybe. The organizations I work for care more about productivity than purported "Professionalism" of having sub-standard phones.

I would hazard my current employer is rather "professional". It's hard to sell SaaS and services to clients such as the USMC without it being the case.

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Sorry, I don't do work for death dealers. So, you're right! My ethics would preclude me from working for an organization that is part of the military industrial complex, and a waste of taxpayer dollars.

Maybe not now, but you used to, and you used to be an agent of death, using your theme.

I'm sure it's possible. Unless, of course, I'm still working for Sodexo for another week, until I start the new position...

Good luck with your new job!!! Congrats on your new adventure.

So, destroy the device, in order to get it approved? And, Blackberry is going the way of the dodo. Again, stone age technology. No, you are not the norm, and your standards are (By technology standards), prehistoric. Professional? That's debatable. Much more professional than what I'm used to? Maybe. The organizations I work for care more about productivity than purported "Professionalism" of having sub-standard phones.

I would hazard my current employer is rather "professional". It's hard to sell SaaS and services to clients such as the USMC without it being the case.
[/QUOTE]

It's the nature of the industry, and I think you can understand why. What we don't have is waste, and as a taxpayer, I am sure you may appreciate the work efficiency. And you know I cannot say any more.

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 08:11 PM

Were you not in the military? Did you not claim to be in Iraq? What is the purpose of being in Iraq?

KC2UGV
03-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Maybe not now, but you used to, and you used to be an agent of death, using your theme.

Correct, which is why I can't morally do it again.

Good luck with your new job!!! Congrats on your new adventure.

Thanks!

It's the nature of the industry, and I think you can understand why. What we don't have is waste, and as a taxpayer, I am sure you may appreciate the work efficiency. And you know I cannot say any more.

The entire defense industry is one big giant waste of tax dollars. You can't have efficiency when you have profits, which is by it's definition, a wasteful overhead.

Now, onto the technical side, no, there is no reason why. Devices can be managed centrally, while also allowing employee productivity with the current technological tools.

Were you not in the military? Did you not claim to be in Iraq? What is the purpose of being in Iraq?

Yes, which is why I can't morally do it again.

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Correct, which is why I can't morally do it again.

Bet the experience was traumatic at different levels. When I here about drones, I think about the MASH episode of the high altitude flying pilot bomber, dropping his load, home by dinner, and never see the results of his work... do you know what episode I am referring?

Thanks!

Is it local or do you have to move? Is it everything you are looking for?

KC2UGV
03-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Bet the experience was traumatic at different levels. When I here about drones, I think about the MASH episode of the high altitude flying pilot bomber, dropping his load, home by dinner, and never see the results of his work... do you know what episode I am referring?

Been a while since I've seen the show.

Is it local or do you have to move? Is it everything you are looking for?

It's local. Everything I've been looking for? It's back to my passion (Open source solutions).

N1LAF
03-17-2013, 08:32 PM
It's local. Everything I've been looking for? It's back to my passion (Open source solutions).

It is always good to work in an area you enjoy

n6hcm
03-18-2013, 02:46 AM
what was this thread about again?

WØTKX
03-18-2013, 03:53 AM
Egos.

ad4mg
03-18-2013, 06:27 AM
what was this thread about again?

Egos.

Hell, at least it's not a gun thread.

NQ6U
03-18-2013, 07:06 AM
Hell, at least it's not a gun thread.

They'll take my Linux when they pry it off of my cold, dead hard drive.

KC2UGV
03-18-2013, 07:15 AM
They'll take my Linux when they pry it off of my cold, dead hard drive.

Begone ye peon of the fruity empire! :P

W3WN
03-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Heresy!Does he float?

W3WN
03-18-2013, 09:59 AM
what was this thread about again?I'm not sure, but it does remind me. I was just given an older Compaq laptop that still has (gasp!) Windows 98SE on it. I need to see if there's a flavor of Linux out there for it; the machine works, I'd hate to scrap it.

KC2UGV
03-18-2013, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure, but it does remind me. I was just given an older Compaq laptop that still has (gasp!) Windows 98SE on it. I need to see if there's a flavor of Linux out there for it; the machine works, I'd hate to scrap it.

What type of proc? I'd hazard it could run Slackware without much of a hitch. Maybe even Ubuntu 5.10 or so.

KB3LAZ
03-18-2013, 10:37 AM
What type of proc? I'd hazard it could run Slackware without much of a hitch. Maybe even Ubuntu 5.10 or so.

Ubuntu has a lighter weight netbook package as well. I would assume that would work on pc's with limited specs. Just a guess, correct me if I am wrong. IIRC at the time it came out netbooks came standard with single core 900mhz cpu and 512m ram.