PDA

View Full Version : Two new hams from work, and Dayville (CT) Hamfest

N1LAF
03-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Three engineers at work expressed interest in ham radio, so I help them along in studying for the exam. One was too busy right now, one took the exam two weeks ago, and one today. Both passed. While one was taking the exam today, I spent three hours at the Dayville Hamfest. I always look around, buy few, but today I splurged a little. One of my MFJ SWR/Wattmeters stopped working (same old story....) and didn't have an SWR meter for 220.

Today I picked up a 144/220/440 SWR Wattmeter, MFJ again. It is the MFJ-862. Old. Has 12 adjustment pots in the back. Anyone have/had experience with one of these?

I also picked up a couple of adapters for my TH-F6A antenna

For $2.00, I picked up an old version of Paint Shop Pro 7, 10th year anniversary version.

I saw a number of Heathkits, IC-751's (originals) old Yaesu, Kenwood, and Ten-Tec rigs. Some really old stuff. Drake T4 Transmitter and accompanying tuner for examples.

Here is one for N8YX - there was a Tektronix scope, the 2465A, working, 4 channels, 350 Mhz, for $225... did not sell, but wondering if this was a good price. I have contact info/phone number in case it is a good buy.

There was some test equipment that looked interesting, but I will do some research first, then post it in the tech forums. Hamfest season has started.

N1LAF
03-16-2013, 03:42 PM
*** Update ***

Just sent the MFJ SWR/Wattmeter through multi band testing. Works great. Good buy for me. Even came with a manual (printout copy)

Sells new for $70, got it for $40.

kb2vxa
03-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Hamfesters are fun, most of them anyway. Lucky you, if it was down this way everything would be covered with snow and you'd find plenty of these. I'll wait for better weather.