PDA

View Full Version : So anyway I quit smoking.

W2NAP
03-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Course I did replace it with a e-ciggie. but last lightable smoke I had was 8:45p yesterday

KG4CGC
03-14-2013, 11:19 PM
Good luck on your success.

W2NAP
03-14-2013, 11:21 PM
28 hours so far

K7SGJ
03-14-2013, 11:21 PM
Good on you. You will feel so much better.

VE7DCW
03-14-2013, 11:53 PM
Yup......good luck Tony...... i've never smoked in my life,so I can't say I know what you'll be going through,you could be an inspiration to my XYL who smokes like a chimney.:)

PA5COR
03-15-2013, 02:14 AM
Keep strong and kudo's to you for it.

KC2UGV
03-15-2013, 06:50 AM
Good luck. My pacifier change from burning cigarettes to electronic cigarettes has worked well for me for the past year and a half, so I'm sure you'll do well.

N2CHX
03-15-2013, 07:10 AM
Good for you :)

You can do it. I know several people who have quit successfully, including Dan.

N8YX
03-15-2013, 07:29 AM
Smoked from '82 until '88. One August day I put them down and never looked back.

So can you. Good luck!

W2NAP
03-15-2013, 03:18 PM
about 4 hours away from 2 days now.

suddenseer
03-15-2013, 05:35 PM
I quit about 50-60 pounds ago.

ki4itv
03-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Don't be a quitter. Nobody likes a quitter. ;)

Wishing you the best Tony! I need to do that.

N2NH
03-16-2013, 02:29 AM
Good luck. Smoked from '71 to '86. Stopping is the best thing to do.

The first 48 are the toughest. Followed by the next 48.

w2amr
03-16-2013, 04:32 AM
Good luck Tony. It's been two years since I gave them up. You won't believe how much better you feel.

X-Rated
03-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Yup......good luck Tony...... i've never smoked in my life,so I can't say I know what you'll be going through,you could be an inspiration to my XYL who smokes like a chimney.:)

Same here. You can stay with the plan, Tony. Kudos to all who have had the intestinal fortitude to stop the habit.

K7SGJ
03-16-2013, 07:59 PM
You know, when I was smoking, a pack cost under a buck, closer to two bits when I started. Now I think they are close to 6 bucks a pack. Who can afford it any more. A two pack a day smoker could save close to 4500 bucks a year. You could buy a nice radio with that, or a nice used car, or a MC, or a night with a high class hooker. (But would you want to smoke afterwards?) Oh the possibilities. Oh the humanity.

X-Rated
03-16-2013, 08:40 PM
You know, when I was smoking, a pack cost under a buck, closer to two bits when I started. Now I think they are close to 6 bucks a pack. Who can afford it any more. A two pack a day smoker could save close to 4500 bucks a year. You could buy a nice radio with that, or a nice used car, or a MC, or a night with a high class hooker. (But would you want to smoke afterwards?) Oh the possibilities. Oh the humanity.

LINK (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-cook-county-cigarettes-0301-20130301,0,6703005.story) Here in Cook County, the taxes on a pack are over $6.50 a pack. A pack is near $11 now here.

K7SGJ
03-16-2013, 08:53 PM
LINK (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-cook-county-cigarettes-0301-20130301,0,6703005.story) Here in Cook County, the taxes on a pack are over $6.50 a pack. A pack is near $11 now here.

Holy shit! I think I'd smoke my old jock straps before I'd pay that kind of dough. Wow.....

W7XF
03-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Marijuana is probably cheaper :mrgreen:

W2NAP
03-17-2013, 06:34 PM

actually it is. But I don't smoke the stuff....

N2NH
03-21-2013, 08:28 AM
actually it is. But I don't smoke the stuff....

So how is it working out?

I stopped smoking when cigarettes went to $10/carton. Now it is over $100/carton here.

W2NAP
03-22-2013, 12:36 AM
welp. its been over a week since I had a real ciggie.

PA5COR
03-22-2013, 02:13 AM
Congrats!!! keep up the good work ;)

w2amr
03-22-2013, 04:05 AM
Good job. The longer you go the easier it get's.

W2NAP
03-22-2013, 05:04 AM
Good job. The longer you go the easier it get's.

Yea I dont even think of having a real ciggie.

I got the elet ciggy going. If I had more to do honestly I doubt id even be using that.

AE1PT
03-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Just made a week. Last one was Friday afternoon the 15th as I was walking into the Emergency Room with supraventricular tachycardia and atrial flutter. Left said hospital Monday AMA before they killed me. Started taking my Chantix supply that afternoon.

It has not really been that bad--the worst of it was Monday evening. The urge only hits me once or twice a day and is not awful enough that it is not forgotten in a couple minutes.

The motivation is a bit better this time. Something about quitting and losing about 50 pounds--or dropping fucking dead suddenly.

KG4CGC
03-23-2013, 01:55 AM
I did the non inhaling thing for 10 weeks between early October and Sometime December. Then I hit the lungs again and it's like shooting up. Anyone here shoot up? I don't but from what scientists have told us, inhaling nicotine is like shooting up.

w2amr
03-23-2013, 04:18 AM
I used nicorette gum. Nasty tasting shit but it got the job done. I loved smoking, but I love living even more. Just had my 2 year anniversary as a non. Woo Hoo.

w2amr
03-23-2013, 04:54 AM
Just made a week. Last one was Friday afternoon the 15th as I was walking into the Emergency Room with supraventricular tachycardia and atrial flutter. Left said hospital Monday AMA before they killed me. Started taking my Chantix supply that afternoon.

It has not really been that bad--the worst of it was Monday evening. The urge only hits me once or twice a day and is not awful enough that it is not forgotten in a couple minutes.

The motivation is a bit better this time. Something about quitting and losing about 50 pounds--or dropping fucking dead suddenly.
Many people actually gain weight after they quit.

K7SGJ
03-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Many people actually gain weight after they quit.

I did. Then I lost it again by rolling a couple of trucks. Next time, I should probably try diet and exercise.

w2amr
03-23-2013, 11:44 AM
I did. Then I lost it again by rolling a couple of trucks. Next time, I should probably try diet and exercise.
Carrying a few extra pounds is still a lot better than smoking .

K8PG
03-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Trash that electronic cig-your just fooling yourself-I never smoked till I got drafted and inlisted in the Navy -they were Free or $ .55 abouts as I remember-
that was 40 yrs ago-smoked for 38 yrs-go cold turkey-take a large Red rubber band put it around the wrist you hold your cig in-every time you want one snap
that rubber band as hard as you can-Ouchhh.... also use some peppermint candies-I gained 25 lbs in a yr and was a bitch getting it off-I did not want to stay a
fat slob the next yrs left in my life,everywhere I go I can tell who smokes-what a nasty ass habit that was-I had to wash all my wall in house-wash everything in
the house,my father died of lung cancer from smoking-he said he started when he was 7 yrs old-he was 88 when he kicked the bucket.I want a cig everyday...
but never again,I feel much better-can hike further-and the chow tastes better-not coughing up a big lugi in the morning either after my workout.Good luck
do not give up-you can do it

KG4CGC
03-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Trash that electronic cig-your just fooling yourself-I never smoked till I got drafted and inlisted in the Navy -they were Free or $ .55 abouts as I remember-
that was 40 yrs ago-smoked for 38 yrs-go cold turkey-take a large Red rubber band put it around the wrist you hold your cig in-every time you want one snap
that rubber band as hard as you can-Ouchhh.... also use some peppermint candies-I gained 25 lbs in a yr and was a bitch getting it off-I did not want to stay a
fat slob the next yrs left in my life,everywhere I go I can tell who smokes-what a nasty ass habit that was-I had to wash all my wall in house-wash everything in
the house,my father died of lung cancer from smoking-he said he started when he was 7 yrs old-he was 88 when he kicked the bucket.I want a cig everyday...
but never again,I feel much better-can hike further-and the chow tastes better-not coughing up a big lugi in the morning either after my workout.Good luck

I doubt all that. What could you possibly know about anything hiding under that rock, Under A Rock Boi? I would consider you to have knowledge about how to skin a coon though. Know what I mean? That and serving up fried porch monkey skins.

NQ6U
03-23-2013, 01:26 PM
I doubt all that. What could you possibly know about anything hiding under that rock, Under A Rock Boi? I would consider you to have knowledge about how to skin a coon though. Know what I mean? That and serving up fried porch monkey skins.

Better watch it, Charles. That guy was able to single-handedly asswhup four armed men!

Well, that's what he claims, anyhow...

W2NAP
03-23-2013, 04:51 PM
Better watch it, Charles. That guy was able to single-handedly asswhup four armed men!

Well, that's what he claims, anyhow...

jackie chan style?

N2NH
03-23-2013, 05:43 PM
jackie chan style?

I'd think Moe, Larry and Curly style. Nyuk-Nyuk.

n2ize
03-23-2013, 08:49 PM

Weed is better too. .

KC2UGV
03-23-2013, 09:05 PM

RIGHT ON! You can do this man!

KC2UGV
03-23-2013, 09:05 PM

Just go away.

W2NAP
03-23-2013, 09:39 PM
RIGHT ON! You can do this man!

I dont even think about real ciggies anymore.

AE1PT
03-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Hmmm, looks like some forum history is regurgitating itself here--luckily I was fortunate enough to miss the first few rounds of projectile vomiting. :lol:

Anyway, I will agree that the electronic cigarettes are a fools errand if the goal is to quit smoking. I picked up a kit about a year ago and found that I used it more than actually smoking. I could hide it and smoke on airplanes, restaurants, and EVERYWHERE that smoking was not allowed. As to quitting, they preserve the same physical mannerisms, the same oral gratification sensations, and keep the body filled up with nicotine. I suppose that one could look at them as a cleaner, healthier way to administer poison to the system... :yuck:

This not being the first time I have quit (several years worth on previous ventures), I am reminded how quickly one's sense of taste and smell begin to return to normal. I have cut down considerably on the amount of salt I use--that and the removal of nicotine have certainly made a noticible impact on my blood pressure.

As to smelling other smokers, HELL YES. As a collective body those of us who smoke STINK. I can tell who the heavy smokers are, the more casual smokers--and ferreting out the 'closet smokers' who slip in a few per day. A few of the latter have come as a surprise to me, as they feed their addictions in a solitary manner--not associating with the smoking/coffee klatsch gathered elsewhere.

W2NAP
03-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Hmmm, looks like some forum history is regurgitating itself here--luckily I was fortunate enough to miss the first few rounds of projectile vomiting. :lol:

Anyway, I will agree that the electronic cigarettes are a fools errand if the goal is to quit smoking. I picked up a kit about a year ago and found that I used it more than actually smoking. I could hide it and smoke on airplanes, restaurants, and EVERYWHERE that smoking was not allowed. As to quitting, they preserve the same physical mannerisms, the same oral gratification sensations, and keep the body filled up with nicotine. I suppose that one could look at them as a cleaner, healthier way to administer poison to the system... :yuck:

This not being the first time I have quit (several years worth on previous ventures), I am reminded how quickly one's sense of taste and smell begin to return to normal. I have cut down considerably on the amount of salt I use--that and the removal of nicotine have certainly made a noticible impact on my blood pressure.

As to smelling other smokers, HELL YES. As a collective body those of us who smoke STINK. I can tell who the heavy smokers are, the more casual smokers--and ferreting out the 'closet smokers' who slip in a few per day. A few of the latter have come as a surprise to me, as they feed their addictions in a solitary manner--not associating with the smoking/coffee klatsch gathered elsewhere.

yea the e-ciggie agreed. but hey I have not lit a real ciggie since 3/13 but honestly. if it wasnt for the pure bordem here I doubt id use the thing.

w2amr
03-25-2013, 03:48 AM
yea the e-ciggie agreed. but hey I have not lit a real ciggie since 3/13 but honestly. if it wasnt for the pure bordem here I doubt id use the thing.Good point. During the first few days of nicotine withdrawal, I kept myself very busy.

W2NAP
03-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Good point. During the first few days of nicotine withdrawal, I kept myself very busy.

thats the prob. for me.. not enough to actually keep me busy.

K7SGJ
03-25-2013, 05:53 PM
thats the prob. for me.. not enough to actually keep me busy.

Build an amp. I'm sure Bob can send you the info from Oz.

W2NAP
03-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Build an amp. I'm sure Bob can send you the info from Oz.

Need da parts yo!

K7SGJ
03-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Need da parts yo!

Details, details.

W2NAP
03-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Details, details.

im so poor I cant afford a 3 cent resistor?

WX7P
03-26-2013, 08:15 PM
BION, I used to dip snuff back in the college days.

Quitting that was complete hell, so I sympathize with anyone dumping the nicotine jones.

I didn't feel "normal" for at least a year after quitting, and I was in my early 20's.

I only did it for about 4 years, so I can't imagine the hell it is for some longtermers to quit. I just remember waking up with the sense that my heart wouldn't start unless I had a dip. Not fun.

Good luck to you Tony in your quest to quit. I agree that the ecigs are a fools errand. Tough it out if you can. You'll feel better in the long run and have more money!

K7SGJ
03-26-2013, 11:23 PM
im so poor I cant afford a 3 cent resistor?

Don't feel bad. We were so poor, the neighbor lady had me.

N2RJ
03-27-2013, 11:16 AM

The nicotine levels are lower, and they don't have the tar and other bad stuff. And you're not inhaling smoke, only water vapor so there's no particulate matter to cause or exacerbate breathing problems like asthma.

They're better than regular cigarettes, but I agree if you want to quit smoking they aren't the answer. But they are a stepping stone. Two of my coworkers use e-cigarettes and they feel much healthier a few months after they started.

W2NAP
03-27-2013, 04:26 PM
The nicotine levels are lower, and they don't have the tar and other bad stuff. And you're not inhaling smoke, only water vapor so there's no particulate matter to cause or exacerbate breathing problems like asthma.

They're better than regular cigarettes, but I agree if you want to quit smoking they aren't the answer. But they are a stepping stone. Two of my coworkers use e-cigarettes and they feel much healthier a few months after they started.

yea its not perfect. but hey its keeping me from lighting a real one. I dont take it with me when I leave the house and it don't bother me not having it. but sitting at the house like I do most of the time. its something to do i guess lol.

AE1PT
03-29-2013, 09:32 AM
Today marks two weeks now--what I consider an important milestone in quitting. Based on previous attempts across the years if I have been able to make it for 2-3 weeks, it would stick until the stupid decision to "try one out" or some familial cataclysm would be used as an excuse to start up a year or so later...

The Chantix has been helpful--I had several months supply left from the past two attempts last year. The first time I tried it in 2011 it worked like a charm--and I was quit for 7 months before I used someone elses smoking as an excuse to light up again. Subsequent attempts with Chantix were not even remotely successful. Seems it's that way with a lot of cessation drugs and methods.

Anyway, off and away toward week three. Not too much time spent thinking about it--mostly when I am at the keyboard for what I know is a marathon session with a next day deadline. I want to jump up every 10 minutes and go out and smoke. It's getting better--even the urge to smoke after eating has disappeared.

Cigarettes and nicotine are a goddamned curse, and one we are best shut of.

WX7P
03-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Cigarettes and nicotine are a goddamned curse, and one we are best shut of.

But, but Freedom!

K7SGJ
03-29-2013, 10:49 AM
But, but Freedom!

Not to mention all the extra $$ you make on selling ham gear by disclosing it came from a non smoking environment.

AE1PT
03-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Not to mention all the extra $$ you make on selling ham gear by disclosing it came from a non smoking environment.

I especially like the ones for whom that is true--however they don't tell you that the estate sale ham that previously owned it was a chain smoker...

W2NAP
04-02-2013, 04:04 PM
well I think the e-ciggy will go within the next day or so.. or when ever this last bit of liquid is gone. being I can't afford a 13 dollar bottle.

wonder how bad this is gonna be.

n2ize
04-02-2013, 06:33 PM
BION, I used to dip snuff back in the college days.

Quitting that was complete hell, so I sympathize with anyone dumping the nicotine jones.

I didn't feel "normal" for at least a year after quitting, and I was in my early 20's.

I only did it for about 4 years, so I can't imagine the hell it is for some longtermers to quit. I just remember waking up with the sense that my heart wouldn't start unless I had a dip. Not fun.

Good luck to you Tony in your quest to quit. I agree that the ecigs are a fools errand. Tough it out if you can. You'll feel better in the long run and have more money!

I used to chew tobacco (not dip but actual chew) for well over a decade. I started with a can of "Happy Day's" mint dip in college and then I soon after switched to real chew like Red Man, Wrigleys, Beech Nut, Apple Jack, Levi Garrett, etc. I quickly discovered that real chew was not as potent as dip. I chewed for about a decade then switched to dip (Skoal Mint) in my 30's. I was always getting pimples and sores in my mouth and always worried that it was mouth cancer. Finally I got a nasty sore on my lip that seemed to be taking long to heal and I got scared and went to the doctor. He took one look and said, "that is no mouth cancer". Regardless when i got home I threw whatever dip I had left down the toilet and quit cold.

I did go back to chewing Red Man for a short while a couple of summers ago but I quit. Got bored with it and got sick of paying the ridiculously high price for it.

I also used to smoke pipes now and then.

These days I don't take tobacco in any form nor do I take wine, beer, or liquor.

K7SGJ
04-02-2013, 06:48 PM
I used to chew tobacco (not dip but actual chew) for well over a decade. I started with a can of "Happy Day's" mint dip in college and then I soon after switched to real chew like Red Man, Wrigleys, Beech Nut, Apple Jack, Levi Garrett, etc. I quickly discovered that real chew was not as potent as dip. I chewed for about a decade then switched to dip (Skoal Mint) in my 30's. I was always getting pimples and sores in my mouth and always worried that it was mouth cancer. Finally I got a nasty sore on my lip that seemed to be taking long to heal and I got scared and went to the doctor. He took one look and said, "that is no mouth cancer". Regardless when i got home I threw whatever dip I had left down the toilet and quit cold.

I did go back to chewing Red Man for a short while a couple of summers ago but I quit. Got bored with it and got sick of paying the ridiculously high price for it.

I also used to smoke pipes now and then.

These days I don't take tobacco in any form nor do I take wine, beer, or liquor.

Sorry, the job for Pope has been filled.

AE1PT
04-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Sorry, the job for Pope has been filled.

Thank god.

NQ6U
04-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Thank god.

He says "You're welcome."

—Pope Carlo l

K7SGJ
04-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Thank god.

Or better yet, Amen.

W2NAP
04-04-2013, 05:36 AM
well. i ran out of the eciggy liquid. few hours later I had a pack opened from the carton I had gotten before I got the esmoke.

so much for that i guess.

KG4CGC
04-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Like falling off a bike. Get back on your wheels. Just a temporary set back.

K7SGJ
04-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Like falling off a bike. Get back on your wheels. Just a temporary set back.

And don't forget to put some cards in the spokes.

NQ6U
04-04-2013, 01:09 PM
And don't forget to put some cards in the spokes.

I recommend the Honus Wagner baseball card. Sounds $1.6 million dollars cool.

AE1PT
04-06-2013, 12:43 AM
Three weeks now. Triggers are funny--like firing up the table saw, or going to get the mail...

NA4BH
04-06-2013, 01:01 AM
Three weeks now. Triggers are funny--like firing up the table saw, or going to get the mail...

Trigger was neat, but never funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4zhJbzs9es

VE7DCW
04-06-2013, 01:06 AM
He says "You're welcome."

—Pope Carlo l

I'm a little scared how close you do the voodoo that you do! :scared:

NA4BH
04-06-2013, 01:08 AM
I'm a little scared how close you do the voodoo that you do! :scared:

He's good, isn't he.

VE7DCW
04-06-2013, 01:14 AM
He's good, isn't he.

I thought you might've dropped an extra "o" in there........ I thought you meant he's "god"...... :whistle:

NA4BH
04-06-2013, 01:16 AM
I thought you might've dropped an extra "o" in there........ I thought you meant he's "god"...... :whistle:

That too

w2amr
04-06-2013, 03:58 AM
Three weeks now. Triggers are funny--like firing up the table saw, or going to get the mail........Or waking up in the morning. The toughest time for me was after a meal.

K7SGJ
04-06-2013, 09:41 AM
.....Or waking up in the morning. The toughest time for me was after a meal.

Me, too; or with a beer.

AE1PT
04-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Me, too; or with a beer.

I got over the postprandial urge to smoke quickly. The beer/alcohol thing is likely my biggest threat--based on history. Thew away several years away from smoking once due to giving in whilst drinking. It's easy to do the more one gets under the influence.

The other danger zone is standing around a group of people who are smoking and talking--with coffee in hand...

.....Or waking up in the morning.

No smoking issue there. My only morning problem these days is determining how bad the RA is in my ankles, and hoping I make it to the toilet before I piss myself...

K7SGJ
04-06-2013, 12:57 PM
I got over the postprandial urge to smoke quickly. The beer/alcohol thing is likely my biggest threat--based on history. Thew away several years away from smoking once due to giving in whilst drinking. It's easy to do the more one gets under the influence.

The other danger zone is standing around a group of people who are smoking and talking--with coffee in hand...

No smoking issue there. My only morning problem these days is determining how bad the RA is in my ankles, and hoping I make it to the toilet before I piss myself...

Sounds familiar. I wake up, stretch, take a nice long piss, and then get out of bed.

W2NAP
04-07-2013, 03:43 AM
be its just the pure bordem that gets me.

AE1PT
04-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Four weeks now.

The last two days have been the most challenging of all.

It ain't nothing but a thing... :hand:

K7SGJ
04-13-2013, 10:08 PM
Four weeks now.

The last two days have been the most challenging of all.

It ain't nothing but a thing... :hand:

If it becomes too trying, go for a six mile run. When you get back home, if you get back home, you won't even be thinking of having a smoke.

W2NAP
04-14-2013, 07:19 AM
If it becomes too trying, go for a six mile run. When you get back home, if you get back home, you won't even be thinking of having a smoke.

id be dead.

NQ6U
04-14-2013, 10:16 AM
id be dead.

I am moribund just reading about it.

KJ3N
04-14-2013, 10:33 AM
id be dead.

You wouldn't be the only one.

Six mile walk, NP. Six mile run? NFW. :hand:

K7SGJ
04-14-2013, 11:27 AM