PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the Washington, DC NFL Franchise Nickname...

W3WN
03-11-2013, 03:16 PM
The owners & management over the Washington, DC NFL Franchise are in Federal Trademark court, again.

Over their use of the term "Redskins" as the team's offical nickname. Again.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-name-goes-before-federal-trademark-board-but-for-this-writer-theres-no-debate/2013/03/10/6e64c508-8906-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394_story.html (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-name-goes-before-federal-trademark-board-but-for-this-writer-theres-no-debate/2013/03/10/6e64c508-8906-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394_story.html)

They lost the last time (1999) and got it overturned on a technicalilty. They might not be so fortunate this time around.

But, you know, there's a real simple solution to the issue.

Just rename the team. Call them The Washington Potatoes.

Then, you can call them the Red Skins all you want, with no racial overtones...

(ducking & hidng now)

N2NH
03-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Beats the NY Titans (or the Tits), the Houston Colt 45's or the Kentucky Colonels (ABA).

I say we give Peas a chance. The Washington Peas.

WX7P
03-11-2013, 05:16 PM
The nickname is an obscenity. We don't teams called the New York Jews or the Atlanta Negros. They should change the name of the Washington team and be done with it.

NQ6U
03-11-2013, 05:34 PM
The nickname is an obscenity. We don't teams called the New York Jews or the Atlanta Negros.

It's even worse than that. "Redskins" is a pejorative so it would be more accurate to say New York K---s or Atlanta N----rs. There are a lot of Chinese in San Francisco so how about we call the team the SF C---ks?

WX7P
03-11-2013, 05:39 PM
It's even worse than that. "Redskins" is a pejorative so it would be more accurate to say New York K---s or Atlanta N----rs. There are a lot of Chinese in San Francisco so how about we call the team the SF C---ks?

Yep, exactly. I did sugarcoat it a bit. Yet there are people who will defend this kind of crap to the death.

It's no surprise that one of the executives on the Washington team is Bruce Allen, son of Coach Allen and brother of reactionary ex-Senator Allen who famously had a Confederate flag in his office while he was a Senator.

I almost used the SF example, but I had in mind the SF F.....s. talk about offensive.

kb2vxa
03-12-2013, 01:42 AM
"...and brother of reactionary ex-Senator Allen..."

Sounds like Senator Beauregard Claghorn of Allen's Alley; "Somebody, ah say, somebody knocked! Claghorn's the name, Senator Claghorn, that is. I'm from the South. Suh."

NQ6U
03-12-2013, 07:09 AM
I almost used the SF example, but I had in mind the SF F.....s. talk about offensive.

I kind of hate to say this but The Frisco F--s has a nice, alliterative ring to it.

W3WN
03-12-2013, 10:27 AM
The nickname is an obscenity. We don't teams called the New York Jews or the Atlanta Negros. They should change the name of the Washington team and be done with it.I don't disagree with you. But the ownership and the NFL don't see it that way. If anything, they claim (privately) that people are being too "sensitive" and that this is "political correctness run amuck." [Again, I think they're wrong... but that's what they've been known to say]

I'm surprised that there hasn't been as big a fuss, lately, over the names of the Cleveland and Atlanta baseball teams. Especially when they use those cartoon stereotypical caricatures as some of their emblems.

X-Rated
03-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Who would forget the Green Bay Ho_kers? Aw. Just pokin' fun.

W3WN
03-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Well, you know, the original nickname for Green Bay was the Green Bay Meat Packers.

I always asked "what kind of meat, and where did they pack it?" (double entendre's intended)

kb2vxa
03-13-2013, 03:19 AM
"I'm surprised that there hasn't been as big a fuss, lately, over the names of the Cleveland and Atlanta baseball teams."

Not lately but there was, only it didn't amount to a hill of red beans. Nobody ever made a fuss over chewing tobacco but if they gave away football helmets it might be different. Nobody made a fuss over the lodge in Tuckerton, NJ either open to all and some members are Delaware Indians I used to talk with on 2M simplex when I lived in West Creek. http://tuckertonredmen.com/ So what's with the Washington team? In the words of Bugs Bunny; what's all the hubbub, bub? Don't mind me, I've never thought in terms of color so it makes no sense to me, maybe it IS political correct run amok as it does from time to time.

X-Rated
03-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Totally off the subject unless you contend that we are talking about pigskins...

I heard on the radio this morning that some restaurants who serve calamari are actually serving pig anus. Sorry if you were reading this while eating calamari.

X-Rated
03-13-2013, 10:15 AM
I don't disagree with you. But the ownership and the NFL don't see it that way. If anything, they claim (privately) that people are being too "sensitive" and that this is "political correctness run amuck." [Again, I think they're wrong... but that's what they've been known to say]

I'm surprised that there hasn't been as big a fuss, lately, over the names of the Cleveland and Atlanta baseball teams. Especially when they use those cartoon stereotypical caricatures as some of their emblems.

Seems like there was a time where the Indians were asked to change their name. But that really isn't a derogatory term as "the Redskins". The DC football team is really in a category by themselves with that mascot.

W3WN
03-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Seems like there was a time where the Indians were asked to change their name. But that really isn't a derogatory term as "the Redskins". The DC football team is really in a category by themselves with that mascot.The Mistake on the Lake American League team can also revert to their original name, the Cleveland Bluebirds. Actually, the original name for the franchise (founded 1894) was the Grand Rapids Rustlers, prior to their move to the fiery shores of the Cuyahoga.

Or they could use the name of the NL team in that city, before the franchise was founded... the Cleveland Spiders, or the Cleveland Blues. Or even the Cleveland Forest Citys.

And there's the name of the Cleveland team from the 1890 Player's League Team: The Cleveland Infants. Nah, that's a better new name these days for the city's NFL team.

According to the team history, the owner, after the 1914 season, solicited for a new name; they'd been known the prevous 3 years as the Cleveland Molly McGuires, due to some attempt to connect with coal miners who were trying to establish a new union. The "Indians" name was chosen by the media.

Hmmm. The Cleveland Blues. I kind of like it...

kb2vxa
03-13-2013, 09:59 PM
"Totally off the subject unless you contend that we are talking about pigskins..."
I think you hit on something there, the Washington Pigskins.

"I heard on the radio this morning that some restaurants who serve calamari..."
Around here we call it bait.

"...are actually serving pig anus."
I hear Republican misrepresentatives are tasty.

NQ6U
03-14-2013, 07:23 AM
"Totally off the subject unless you contend that we are talking about pigskins..."
I think you hit on something there, the Washington Pigskins.

Traife.

kb2vxa
03-14-2013, 11:08 PM
He doesn't think so.

W3WN
03-15-2013, 10:15 AM
He doesn't think so.As long as he doesn't eat it, and throughly washes his hands afterwards, no problem.

kb2vxa
03-16-2013, 04:32 AM
Not quite, the Haredim (ultra orthodox) are forbidden to even touch or be touched by any unclean thing including a gentile because it makes them unclean. Then they have to go through a seven day cleansing ritual, seven being the number of completion.

w0aew
03-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Some folks are just overly sensitive and tend to over-react to brand names composed with no ill intent.

w0aew
03-16-2013, 09:25 AM
No, I don't know why that image appears twice.

WX7P
03-16-2013, 10:34 AM
No, I don't know why that image appears twice.

Biloxi is EXTRA offensive.

W3WN
03-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Not quite, the Haredim (ultra orthodox) are forbidden to even touch or be touched by any unclean thing including a gentile because it makes them unclean. Then they have to go through a seven day cleansing ritual, seven being the number of completion.I know. But I'm Conservative, so that's not a problem.

kb2vxa
03-17-2013, 02:05 AM
That word Conservative tends to get mixed up at times, in your case you're liberal as compared with the Haredim as they're the most conservative. As an aside and a rather interesting one too is the Hasidim in nearby Lakewood. As you know they're the pious Jews, piety being loving kindness and the embodiment is Dr. Charles Tomaszewski, my urologist. Hey, maybe you guys can get together and play football (as long as you don't eat it, hi). Here's your team, funny how they goof on Notre Dame.

WX7P
03-17-2013, 02:14 AM
I know. But I'm Conservative, so that's not a problem.

What does that mean anymore, Ron?

W3WN
03-17-2013, 10:58 AM
What does that mean anymore, Ron?
The primary three sub-divisions in Judaism are Orthodox, Conservative, and Reform.

Very generally speaking: Orthodox follows the ancient rules as set forth in the Torah & as interpreted in the Talmud (the ultra-Orthodox like the Haredim to the letter). Conservative considers these rules basic guidelines, with allowances or modifications for modern times. Reform has the belief in an Almighty, and (IIRC) considers the Torah and Talmud as historic documents, but not neccesarily a guide for everyday living in this century.

And don't ask me what Reconstructionist is, I never did understand that one.

Like any religion, there are splinters, factions, and for lack of a better word, cults.

... I didn't mean "Conservative" as in political beliefs, if that's what you were getting at, different context...

kb2vxa
03-17-2013, 04:34 PM
That's what I meant when I said to the effect that Conservative is liberal while Orthodox is conservative, things get mixed up when you don't understand terms. Here's something to think about, Jesus was a Conservative (Reform Judaism, law interpreted as guidelines rather than restrictions) by definition. He stressed the spirit of the law rather than the letter which leads to inconvenience and sometimes even calamity. In his example he spoke of bending the no work on the Sabbath law for a certain exception, saving a dray animal from death so it can be put to work bringing in the harvest. In other words as in a few other examples he gave, a small sin is better than a major one. Another thing was telling what we today call a little white lie to avoid a crushing blow resulting from telling the dead on truth.

Today the Orthodox are inconvenienced to say the least by the prohibition of creation and work in general on Shabbat, for example food is kept warm on a blech over a low fire from the day before, can't create fire or cook on the Sabbath. Seems there are health issues here too. Then next to an electric door there is a manual Sabbath door, can't turn electricity on or off at all for that matter so like in many things they came up with many clever ways around the prohibition yet in keeping with the law. Some rabbi took the prohibition against charging a fellow Jew interest on a loan while it's OK to charge a goy to the extreme. He wrote that cheating the goyem is an honorable thing. Besides that pissing me off, Goebbels seized on it in his anti-Semitic propaganda and that pisses me off even more. This Nazi illustration regards a rabbi teaching this point of Talmudic law.

Like I said, politically speaking Jesus was a Liberal but technically a Conservative Jew. The way so much minutia has been added to the law today he'd be hard pressed to straighten it all out! Ah chuck it all and get down to basics, I'll stick with the part where he stated that the First Commandment and the condensation of the other nine is the summation of it all, that is to say the Golden Rule, "...on these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." That goes right along with the core of his teachings; "My burden is light, my yoke easy." Did he come to start a religion? I don't think so, his followers did. "I come not to change one iota of the law but to uphold it."

"And don't ask me what Reconstructionist is, I never did understand that one."

Reconstructionist Judaism is a modern American-based Jewish movement based on the ideas of Mordecai Kaplan (1881–1983). The movement views Judaism as a progressively evolving civilization. It originated as a branch of Conservative Judaism, before it splintered. The movement developed from the late 1920s to 1940s, and it established a rabbinical college in 1968.