PDA

View Full Version : Two Buck Chuck

al2n
03-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Now that I live in the civilized world, I can try things that were once only legend.

Behold, the Two Buck Chuck!!

Stopped by the Trader Joe's in town (just opened last fall) and checked the place out. Kinda neat in a urban hippie kinda way I guess, but the real reason I paid them a visit was to track down a bottle of cheap wine. Why? Because I am:

1. Cheap
2. Flat broke
3. Really in the mood for a glass of wine.

Well it turns out that Two Buck Chuck now costs 2.49 a bottle, still that is the best price I have found on wine so I bought a bottle of the White Zin to take home.

After a slight chill, I popped the cork, poured a glass and took a sip......um, something is wrong here.....I like this stuff! I mean, I really like this! Tastes like a 10-15 dollar bottle of Zin, not something I would expect to get for a couple bucks. Wow! Sweet, fruity, with a touch of tang in the background to finish it off. Even my wife, who does not like alcohol, thought it was good enough for her to pour a glass.

I may have to save up and buy a case or two of this! Who would have thought? A good bottle of wine that does not cost much at all.

God bless America and God bless Charles Shaw.

KG4CGC
03-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Wine is a nice change from time to time. A full bodied Zin (not white) is a good change up from Merlot.

al2n
03-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Wine is a nice change from time to time. A full bodied Zin (not white) is a good change up from Merlot.

Wine seems to be a booming industry around here.

When I last lived in Oregon some 20 years ago, there were only a couple wineries around. These days they are all over the place. Got at least 6 of them within a 3 mile radius of my home. Going to have to take a weekend and go on a wine tour this summer. Pretty sure I could visit a couple each week and not be done seeing them all for a few years.

KG4CGC
03-10-2013, 08:59 PM
We've had a few wineries pop up around here too. Most of it is shipped out.

NQ6U
03-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Wine seems to be a booming industry around here.

An old high school buddy of mine runs a vineyard/winery in the Willamette Valley. He makes really good wine that's way out of my price range.

WX7P
03-11-2013, 12:44 AM
That's one thing about living in Stanford that kinda blows. The nearest Trader Joe's is in Chicagoland which is 2 hours away.

We used to get Two Buck Chuck all the time in Sac.

KC2UGV
03-11-2013, 06:49 AM
Two Buck Chuck is actually a decent table wine. Along with some of Carlo Rossi's products. People, I think, who berate them are wine snobs, and that's the only reason they don't like them.

I've tasted $100 per bottle wines that tasted bland, and had no body; and I've tasted $10 per bottle wines that were spectacular. I've also tasted crappy $10 per bottle wine, and great $100/bottle wines.

I think a lot of the reviews on "Good Wines" are ridiculous, and based merely on trendiness.

X-Rated
03-11-2013, 01:05 PM
That's one thing about living in Stanford that kinda blows. The nearest Trader Joe's is in Chicagoland which is 2 hours away.

We used to get Two Buck Chuck all the time in Sac.

Looks like a business opportunity in Stan.

al2n
03-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Next time I have some spare change I will try the Shiraz.

ki4itv
03-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Trader Joe's has some great stuff. Read the ingredient labels on their products and you'll immediately notice the lack of bullshit processing stuff. I kinda like their frozen mac and cheese. Liked the 2 Buck Chuck we've sucked down too.