PDA

View Full Version : Squeeze bacon

al2n
03-10-2013, 07:01 PM
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/squeez-bacon.html

Ok, who is going to be the first to buy a tube?

al2n
03-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Or for those who want to have some real squeeze bacon (sorry the above post is a gag product), you can make some yourself.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Squeez-Bacon/

KG4CGC
03-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Haven't seen that product but I just did see bacon jerky and BBQ pork jerky.
I always wondered what people did with that little jar of fried bacon drippings that is a staple of Southern stove tops. Years ago I briefly worked with a guy who used it to spread on his bread for BLTs. Wasn't bacony enough I would guess.

kb2vxa
03-12-2013, 12:02 AM
Rendered bacon fat essentially is lard and has little flavor. Hardly Southern, many of the women in my family used it for shortening and greased fry pans with it being a free byproduct of frying bacon. Many a breakfast consisted of bacon and eggs and/or pancakes in a pan already greased, the excess was kept in an old coffee can in the refrigerator. Since there was excess on top of excess an old can was tossed to avoid spoilage and a new one started fairly often. Why he spread it on a BLT or any sandwich is a mystery to me since like I said it has little flavor, butter on some things but bacon grease? YUCH!

Oh, it makes good airplane fuel and when a boost is needed for escaping Captain Hook just add fairy dust. You don't need nitrous oxide when you have a pink Tinker Bell 47 with an APU... hello?

Sorry Tink, sometimes I get a little crazy.

KG4CGC
03-12-2013, 12:14 AM
Must be a depression/war thing holdover.

w0aew
03-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Now I could go for bacon-flavored toothpaste.

KG4CGC
03-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Now I could go for bacon-flavored toothpaste.

Imagine the guy who went to bar when bacon vodka was new and he tries it for the first time. Then he goes and talks to a girl. Depending on his tastes, she either urped or tried to eat his face off.

kb2vxa
03-12-2013, 11:14 PM
"Must be a depression/war thing holdover."
No, just common sense passed down from mother to daughter through the generations and sons like me who spent time in the kitchen learning how to cook. Why buy shortening and throw bacon grease away wasting both money and bacon grease?

"Now I could go for bacon-flavored toothpaste."
You don't have to look far: http://mcphee.com/shop/bacon-toothpaste.html

"Imagine the guy who went to bar when bacon vodka was new and he tries it for the first time."
Bakon, bacon flavored potato vodka (must be Polish since that's the way they make vodka) available at:
Southern Wine and Spirits
7600 Richard Street
Columbia, SC 29209
(803) 695-1630
http://www.southernwine.com

KG4CGC
03-12-2013, 11:26 PM
No. It's a Southern thang. It started during the depression but was also done in Scottish households dating back to before the Revolutionary War when the British would hire Scottish mercenaries. The mercenaries from Scotland could climb mountains all day and barely eat a bite. The British paid the Scots in hamhocks of which they would send the majority of home. When cooked in a pan back in the days of yore, the Scottish wives would save the fat because they didn't know when the next hamhock might be sent home.
You should know. You were there you Grumpy Old Bastid.

kb2vxa
03-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Right, 'twas the Highlanders who climbed, Lowlanders were out of practice having nothing to climb. One thing you forgot to mention was the wives feeding the fat to the pigs, the first hams chewing the fat. When they had no fat they chewed rags, oh you know, rag chewing was the alternative to contesting, more peaceful than protesting. The majority of protesters were of the Moran Clan, you know, Morans. Around that time Hadrian built a wall not to keep the Romans out but to keep the fearsome blue painted kilt wearing Claymore wielding Scots in. The Romans knew no property laws and kept trespassing in Bonnie Scotland and the outer reaches of Mary Queen of Scots which got the Blue Men, and a few Irish Orange Men upset so they finally put a stop to it. They borrowed trebuchets from the French and some fire from the Greeks, having haggis on hand they were ready. They wailed on the bagpipes and the Romans came to investigate what was getting the pigs all upset and ran headlong into a wall of flaming haggis flying at them. Scared out of their wits they ran for the shelter of the Seven Hills only to find Rome in ruins having been sacked by the Vandals and the rest is as they say, his story. No, not her story, there were no women scribes in those days most people being illiterate. That's why only centuries later the records were read and the truth came out to be reprinted here.

Quite.

W7XF
03-14-2013, 12:32 PM
As bacon sinks to a new low....

KG4CGC
03-14-2013, 01:57 PM
As bacon sinks to a new low....

Only if the fat molecules release.

kb2vxa
03-14-2013, 04:20 PM
They released like a charm.

We fired our haggis and the Romans kept a-comin'