PDA

View Full Version : A Shirar who is a Ham. Where to live?

X-Rated
03-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Hampshire? (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/43w578-Plank-Rd_Hampshire_IL_60140_M78739-47773)

Looking at this house now...

http://p.rdcpix.com/v01/l0f37bf43-m0x.jpg

0.43 acres out in the country. Room to put up an array and for CQWW I can put an antenna out in the corn field.

Just a thought, anyway. I drug the XYL there kicking and screaming, and she had some remarks after driving into the driveway. After that, she loved it and wants to move there.

KG4CGC
03-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Looks nice. If you do move in, get rid of the shrubbery in line with the section between the garage and the main house. It is known as a crook nook and the shrubs provide extra cover.
Why that was the first thing off the top of my head? Just a suggestion. Not a paranoid fantasy. If you want some real paranoia, ask a cop about that spot.
Cornfield? You have read Children of the Corn by Stephen King, right? A tower with the right RF will take care of any stray corn kids.

NQ6U
03-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Lots of room, not many neighbors nearby and, judging by the satellite view, a couple of big trees to anchor one end of a dipole. Looks good.

K7SGJ
03-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Not a bad looking place. Is that walkway between the haouse and the garage a permanent structure? I can't tell if it's enclosed or open. And a nice crank-em-up tower would look just dandy out back. And a ~1/2 acre? Lots a room for antennas and a pool, and a pond, and gazeebo, and, and, and...................

K7SGJ
03-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Looks nice. If you do move in, get rid of the shrubbery in line with the section between the garage and the main house. It is known as a crook nook and the shrubs provide extra cover.
Why that was the first thing off the top of my head? Just a suggestion. Not a paranoid fantasy. If you want some real paranoia, ask a cop about that spot.
Cornfield? You have read Children of the Corn by Stephen King, right? A tower with the right RF will take care of any stray corn kids.

Are all those people still following you?

NQ6U
03-10-2013, 02:27 PM

All the paranoids are after him.

X-Rated
03-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Thanks. It is an enclosed walkway. Sliding doors on the north and on the south. Full basement. Lots of room.

NQ6U
03-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks. It is an enclosed walkway. Sliding doors on the north and on the south. Full basement. Lots of room.

Looks like you have a two-car garage plus an extra bit of space for storage or maybe a shop. Where would the shack go?

KG4CGC
03-10-2013, 02:55 PM

Just you and the Pope and like I said earlier, you can have my french fries.

K7SGJ
03-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Just you and the Pope and like I said earlier, you can have my french fries.

Oh sure, now they're all cold and hard, and sealed for all time in grease.

KG4CGC
03-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Oh sure, now they're all cold and hard, and sealed for all time in grease.

Hey, you didn't want them earlier and now you complain? We're coming up to a refinery. Throw them in a vat in there for a few seconds and you'll be good to go.

KC2UGV
03-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Looks like a really nice place there. Nice sized lot too.

X-Rated
03-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Looks like you have a two-car garage plus an extra bit of space for storage or maybe a shop. Where would the shack go?

Probably setup the shack in the basement. All the way on the west side so I can run cables out to the antennas in the side yard. I would like to do some vertical phased arrays. I think there is enough room for a pair of verticals for 80M out there. 75M won't work. Only 80M.

Yeah.

Edit: I have a voice for CW.

KG4CGC
03-11-2013, 11:51 AM
<snip>

Yeah.

And a face for radio!
*rimshot*
OK. You knew that was coming.
You're Welcome!

WX7P
03-11-2013, 02:58 PM
And a face for radio!
*rimshot*
OK. You knew that was coming.
You're Welcome!

Try the fish...

N2NH
03-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Probably setup the shack in the basement. All the way on the west side so I can run cables out to the antennas in the side yard. I would like to do some vertical phased arrays. I think there is enough room for a pair of verticals for 80M out there. 75M won't work. Only 80M.

Yeah.

For the QTH they'll never forget, there's always Intercourse, PA.

http://religionnerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Intercourse1-300x247.jpg

Not into Intercourse? There's always Blue Ball, PA.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wh4Cc8MVM9w/TUkyNWwR40I/AAAAAAAAAQE/pVqHd1QK9NE/s320/blueball-heidel.jpg

Easy to remember QTH's. Never again be forgotten for a QSL card and split pile-ups like a hot knife thru butter.

kb2vxa
03-11-2013, 08:11 PM
You forgot Bird In Hand and Paradise. Never mind Dayton, if you like good food you'll never forget your first trip to Pennsylvania Dutch country, it's ALL Paradise.