PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a KX3

KB3LAZ
03-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Just curious if anyone has had any experience with the KX3 as it is on the block for consideration. I have been awaiting the arrival of the new TT QRP rig for some time now but it is somewhat of a letdown and the KX3 has more options for the same price. Also up for consideration was a K3/10 but configured with the ATU we are talking about a 1000$ price difference. The savings would be diverted to my antenna budget and better spent imo.

Im sure that the KX3 has its ups and downs as does any radio. Personally, there are only a few setbacks for me but I think I can get over them.

1. The size, its a bit small for a desktop radio. However, I think I will just use the mobile mounting bracket and put it facing me, under the K Line that will sit above it.
2. The BNC connector for the antenna...not my preference but not an overly big setback.
3. The mic connector seems to pose problems for unintentional unplugging.
4. Lack of traditional PSU connection. I suppose I can just use a walwart.

That is all just op preference. Particularly for someone who operates from home. Beings the rig is marketed at the portable QRP crowd, its more than understandable.

Now, the erogs are out of the way. The question is performance. I have zero experience in this area. Anyone have any to share?

Not really looking for tec specs just personal experience with the radio. Likes, dislikes, etc. Have checked eham but I dont know any of those people and always take eham with a grain of salt as it is. Particularly with Elecraft products. A lot of fan boys and haters in that realm so I never know what to think.

N8YX
03-09-2013, 01:39 PM
I think Happy_Hamer owns one.

NQ6U
03-09-2013, 05:15 PM
QST reviewed it a few months ago and they couldn't say enough nice stuff about it. If you're an ARRL member, you can download a PDF (http://www.arrl.org/files/file/protected/Group/Members/ProductReview/PROD%20REV%20December%202012.pdf)of the review. If not, send me e-mail to [mycallsign]@cox.net and I'll send it to you as an attachment.

XE1/N5AL
03-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Burt has one, but he would have to be "un-banned" in order to reply.

The Elecraft KX3 Part I-opening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krpvw98Y0hE)
Elecraft KX3 Transceiver part II-Assembling (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRPLEYzVkwo)

KB3LAZ
03-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Burt has one, but he would have to be "un-banned" in order to reply.

The Elecraft KX3 Part I-opening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krpvw98Y0hE)
Elecraft KX3 Transceiver part II-Assembling (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRPLEYzVkwo)

Have seen them in the past. Thank you. :) In fact, when I get back stateside I would like to find someone close to my QTH that actually has one I can demo. Would be nice.

mw0uzo
03-11-2013, 04:32 PM
My friend steve mw0kst has one, its very nice. Works great, loads of features. Couple it with a good amp for a kick-ass radio.

N2NH
03-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Have seen them in the past. Thank you. :) In fact, when I get back stateside I would like to find someone close to my QTH that actually has one I can demo. Would be nice.

Elecraft could probably arrange that if you text them.

W4DRH
03-18-2013, 08:39 PM
I have a Kenwood 480Hx then bought a KX3 in kit, and recently a K3 kit. I am a new ham (2 years) but my favorite radio is the KX3. I have it in a small case from Harbor Freight along with a Singal link to do PSK31. I have make a good number of contacts with 10 watts. I did not think I would like QRP but the little case I have is very compact, no need for a big power suppy and it makes you more careful about having a resonate tuned antenna with low swr. I would buy one again in a heart beat. I also got the auto tuner with will tune a lawn chair. Love the Elecraft products. Take a look.

Thanks

Hugh

K7SGJ
03-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Welcome to the sandy shores, Hugh. Glad to see you finally jumped in. The bartender should be around shortly to take your order for your favorite umbrella drink. We'll put it on Pope Carlo I tab. He's been huffing that white smoke from the chimney at the Vatican since last week, and won't notice if we take advantage of his bar tab.

KB3LAZ
03-19-2013, 09:39 AM
I have a Kenwood 480Hx then bought a KX3 in kit, and recently a K3 kit. I am a new ham (2 years) but my favorite radio is the KX3. I have it in a small case from Harbor Freight along with a Singal link to do PSK31. I have make a good number of contacts with 10 watts. I did not think I would like QRP but the little case I have is very compact, no need for a big power suppy and it makes you more careful about having a resonate tuned antenna with low swr. I would buy one again in a heart beat. I also got the auto tuner with will tune a lawn chair. Love the Elecraft products. Take a look.

Thanks

Hugh

Glad to hear you like it. After much research it is on my list. Replacing a K3/10. My first idea was a K3/100 and K Line as well as an additional K3/10 but I think I am going to sub the K3/10 for the Kx3...I already said that. ...Orujo for lunch, forgive me.

X-Rated
03-19-2013, 11:22 AM

Thanks

Hugh

Welcome.

I had a TS-480HX. I hated the thing. All the bells and whistles were great, but the damned thing would desense so badly on CW it was hell to operate. Most radios desense a little, but I couldn't even find the stations desensing me, this thing was so bad. The roofing filter must've been a mile wide. I didn't notice it on SSB so badly and I told the buyer when I sold it why I was dumping it. The issue was okay with them to do local nets and stuff. So we were both happy.

Forget good DX with that thing. You can't work 'em if you can't hear 'em.