PDA

View Full Version : Shuttleworth: Canonical leads Ubuntu, not 'your whims'

W4GPL
03-08-2013, 05:19 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/07/shuttleworth_ubuntu_leadership/

Some of us find this no big surprise.. if you've been paying attention to Shuttleworth, he's demonstrated this would ultimately be his position all along..

After several months without posting, Mark Shuttleworth has returned to his official blog with some harsh words for those in the Ubuntu community who have been critical of Canonical's recent efforts to transform the OS into a multi-faceted platform for mobile devices and the cloud.
"If you've done what you want for Ubuntu, then move on," Shuttleworth wrote (http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1228) on Thursday morning. "That's normal – there's no need to poison the well behind you just because you want to try something else."

Clearly miffed by critics who say Canonical has wielded too much control over Ubuntu development of late, Shuttleworth called such comments "nonsense," adding that it is the combination of Canonical and the Ubuntu community that make the OS great.

At the same time, he described Canonical's contribution to the project as "massive," and he cautioned other contributors not to expect Ubuntu to function as a purely community-driven Linux distro – because to Shuttleworth's mind, that kind of development model simply doesn't work for a project as ambitious as Ubuntu.

"There are lots of pure community distro's. And wow, they are full of politics, spite, frustration, venality and disappointment," he wrote.

Good luck finding a community to help you now.. Dick..erm.. Mark.

W4GPL
03-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Sorry, put this in the wrong forum section initially.

KC2UGV
03-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Well... I can presume one course of action: Fork. Or, abandonment by the community. Mandriva discovered what happens when you alienate your community.

W4GPL
03-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Yeah, I think this is a huge mistake. First of all, as a Linux user of over 15 years, I have no desire to make things 'hard' to maintain exclusivity. I would love if the entire world used Linux. And with things like Android, half the world already does! None of which would be possible without community projects like say.. uh.. the Linux kernel itself? Anyone done a 'uname -a' on their Android shell?

I don't care if Shuttleworth wants a new display server, we've lived through this before.. X to Apple to Xorg and now Wayland and eventually Mir. Some might use it, some might not. Open source is about choices. But to pan the 'community' he has staked his legacy on is bad mojo and if there's one thing the Linux community is good at... it's eviscerating those who disrespect us. Maybe Shuttleworth and Darl McBride can setup a consulting firm together -- How To Alienate Users & Destroy Your Company..

N1LAF
03-10-2013, 08:55 AM
Maybe Shuttleworth and Darl McBride can setup a consulting firm together -- How To Alienate Users & Destroy Your Company..

How about adding Ballmer to this group as well...

More..

"I always got along fine with Steve, but he is not a visionary and he's not the right person to run the company," says Joachim Kempin, a former company senior VP.

Kempin admits his new book Resolve and Fortitude: Microsoft's Secret Power Broker Breaks His Silence is an attempt to "stir things up."

"I still feel a huge bond with Microsoft. I use their products every day. But, it frustrates me that the company basically has lost so many battles - Google search, Microsoft Bing. The iPod and Zune (Microsoft's discontinued digital media player.) Look at the iPhone, Apple's tablet and you go down the list, the Android operating system, Facebook," says Kempin.

"All of that happened over the last 10, 11, 12 years and you have to question whether there is the right team in Microsoft to conquer the new world."
http://mynorthwest.com/646/2198995/Microsofts-biggest-problem-is-Steve-Ballmer-says-former-exec

http://www.mynorthwest.com/emedia/seattle/9/947/94749.jpg

"Microsoft knows what is best for you...."

N2CHX
03-10-2013, 01:49 PM
"There are lots of pure community distro's. And wow, they are full of politics, spite, frustration, venality and disappointment," he wrote.

Good luck finding a community to help you now.. Dick..erm.. Mark.

What an asshat. I already ditched Ubuntu well over a year ago and I've been diving into hacking my own kernels a bit. Ubuntu is supposed to be all about community. It's the basis of the very word used in its name. It's not supposed to be about some bigshot and his corporate interests. Good luck indeed.

ad4mg
03-10-2013, 03:04 PM
I figured they would find a way to destroy Ubuntu. Ubuntu has been a stable, dependable, and enjoyable OS for me since I got in at version 7.04. I hate giving thought to changing, and I've tried the other 'mainstream' Linux flavors. I can't say I particularly cared for any of them.

I may be the exception, but I really like Ubuntu and the Unity desktop environment. For me, it just works. That's more than I can say for Windows...

W2NAP
03-10-2013, 03:35 PM
I ditched ubuntu long ago. Ran Fedora for awhile really liked it. but started having issues with it course this tower has been fucked for awhile anyway.

Got debian xfce on here now. it works seems pretty stable for this machine. guess this crappy tower likes debian. :dunno:

N2CHX
03-10-2013, 05:25 PM
I figured they would find a way to destroy Ubuntu. Ubuntu has been a stable, dependable, and enjoyable OS for me since I got in at version 7.04. I hate giving thought to changing, and I've tried the other 'mainstream' Linux flavors. I can't say I particularly cared for any of them.

I may be the exception, but I really like Ubuntu and the Unity desktop environment. For me, it just works. That's more than I can say for Windows...

Heh, Gnome 3 and Unity are exactly why I tossed Ubuntu. Too dumbed down for my taste.

For my laptop I use Linux Mint with Cinnamon. For Raspberry Pi I use my own hacked version of Debian with no GUI whatsoever.

N1LAF
03-10-2013, 06:02 PM
I installed/dual booted Linux Mint 14 on my Dell Netbook (per 'KKM's recommendation), and EVERYTHING works. Took me surprise when I first logged in, the dang thing (Linux Mint) activated my CAM and asked if I wanted my picture for login icon. Smarta$$ OS....

ad4mg
03-10-2013, 06:31 PM
I installed/dual booted Linux Mint 14 on my Dell Netbook (per 'KKM's recommendation), and EVERYTHING works. Took me surprise when I first logged in, the dang thing (Linux Mint) activated my CAM and asked if I wanted my picture for login icon. Smarta$$ OS....

Well, Mint is Ubuntu, on steroids... :-D

N1LAF
03-10-2013, 06:33 PM

If that is the case, why are you sticking with an inferior brand???
:lol:

N1LAF
03-10-2013, 06:33 PM
3.. 2.. 1..

ad4mg
03-10-2013, 06:34 PM
If that is the case, why are you sticking with an inferior brand???
:lol:

The color scheme in Mint makes me heave... :vomit:

N2CHX
03-10-2013, 06:35 PM

Sort of. Ubuntu is Debian on steroids. Mint is actually more based on Debian than Ubuntu. Ubuntu has gone into its own little world and Mint didn't follow it.

ad4mg
03-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Heh, Gnome 3 and Unity are exactly why I tossed Ubuntu. Too dumbed down for my taste.

Mongo not the smartest man around. Shuttleworth fool Mongo with Unity.

:rofl:

ad4mg
03-10-2013, 06:38 PM
Sort of. Ubuntu is Debian on steroids. Mint is actually more based on Debian than Ubuntu. Ubuntu has gone into its own little world and Mint didn't follow it.

At least Mint includes most of the codecs, so you don't have to feel like a criminal installing "Ubuntu restricted extras".

N1LAF
03-10-2013, 06:42 PM
At least Mint includes most of the codecs, so you don't have to feel like a criminal installing "Ubuntu restricted extras".

Mint does have a good distro package, it included LibreOffice 4, and Firefox, plus a bunch of other stuff I have yet to explore.

N2CHX
03-10-2013, 06:45 PM
The color scheme in Mint makes me heave... :vomit:

LOL you can change the colors and themes to anything you want. Here's my desktop currently:

N2CHX
03-10-2013, 06:46 PM

Yep. And actually, I'd like to change my previous post to read "Ubuntu is Debian on meth."

ad4mg
03-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Mint does have a good distro package, it included LibreOffice 4, and Firefox, plus a bunch of other stuff I have yet to explore.

Check out the disk utility, 'palimpset' (simply called "Disk Utility" in the GUI). It's a graphical app that will display the SMART data from your hard drives.

LibreOffice, Thunderbird, and Firefox are standard with Ubuntu as well. Check out Stellarium, a truly awesome planetarium app for astronomy. I actually have Stellarium interfaced with my telescope so I can click on an object of interest, and the scope goes right to it!

Add p7zip to your fileroller app, and you will have support for nearly every imaginable type of compressed file. Don't forget Gimp, Ubuntu actually dropped it from their standard distro.

And, finally, add Oracle's VirtualBox. If your host OS is 64 bit, make sure to get the 64 bit version.

Oh, yeah, if you have HP printers, make sure to add the hplip service. Great for discovering network and wireless HP printers and scanners!

ad4mg
03-10-2013, 07:02 PM
LOL you can change the colors and themes to anything you want. Here's my desktop currently:

Mongo like tree better:

I hated Unity when I first tried it. Since I installed 'unsettings' to allow me to tweak Unity and get rid of those horrible global menus, I've really learned to like it!