PDA

View Full Version : The Twelve Worst Supermarkets in the US.

N2NH
03-07-2013, 06:40 PM
See if your local supermarket is on the list.

Not all supermarkets (http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2011/09/26/AP-Supermarkets-start-bagging-self-serve-checkouts.aspx#page1) are created equal. For many Americans, stopping by a chain supermarket has become a major chore, involving long lines, rude employees, unsanitary conditions and poor selection. Consumer Reports recently conducted a survey of more than 24,000 shoppers to rank the best and worst out of 52 grocery store chains – and the results show just how disappointing customer experience can be at some megastores...

All ratings are based on 24,203 responses, and the four categories – service (includes employee courtesy and checkout speed), perishables (food quality), price and cleanliness – were scored from “very satisfied,” “fairly satisfied,” “neutral, “fairly unsatisfied” and “very unsatisfied.” All scores are out of 100. The highest-rated supermarket, Wegmans, received a score of 88. The following are ranked from bad to worst.

I've gone to Stop and Shop and I don't think it's bad. The meat is pretty good, the beef is easily better than Hannaford's.

The 12 Worse Supermarkets in America. (http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Media/Slideshow/2012/04/13/12-Worst-Supermarkets-in-America.aspx?index=1)

X-Rated
03-07-2013, 06:58 PM
I see TKX Mart is on there. Never heard of most of these. The only one we have local here is Jewel Osco.

EDIT: And of course WalMart Supercenter.

KC2UGV
03-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Tops... And, we changed the slogan from "Tops never stops... Saving you more" to "Tops never mops... Not even the floor..."

W3WN
03-07-2013, 09:09 PM
None of those are local. (Well, except Wally World, but those locations aren't just supermarkets)

Used to be some Weiss markets around here. And I remember A&P, Acme, and Pathmark, from back home... but I haven't been inside any of those in years, since none are around here.

NQ6U
03-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Ralph's must have taken a nose dive over the ten years since I last shopped in one regularly. Back then, it was one of the better stores around.

W4GPL
03-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Ralph's must have taken a nose dive over the ten years since I last shopped in one regularly. Back then, it was one of the better stores around.You can get a pretty versatile coffee can at Ralph's..

al2n
03-07-2013, 09:26 PM
I notice that most on the list are located on the East Coast. :chin:

The photo gallery after that one was interesting too- 7 Grocery Store Items American's are Blowing Money On. Pretty funny considering that you can make about half the items on that list at home fairly easily.

NQ6U
03-07-2013, 10:42 PM
You can get a pretty versatile coffee can at Ralph's..

It really tied the room together.

W7XF
03-08-2013, 12:34 AM
You mean there is actually a market chain WORSE than SqualorMart?????? THE HUMANITY!!!!!

N8YX
03-08-2013, 05:57 AM
We used to have an A&P in town, and as I recall it was much the same then as the chain's rating is today.

Also had a Kroger's which sat next to the busy Erie-Lackawanna double-track mainline. Both grocer and railroad are now gone.

There is a large Acme in the area whose prices are favorable with the other chains. Ditto the smaller one a few miles away. Our other large retailer is Giant Eagle and that's where we do most of our shopping.

Tops...that chain bought out the workplace of one of our friends. The previous store was one which was worth shopping. Haven't been to its new incarnation to compare them.

X-Rated
03-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Isn't A&P Catholic owned?

WX7P
03-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Wally World is by FAR the worst. The Walmart of death in Klamath Falls, OR was dirty, crowded and not well stocked. We actually had the idea of "people of Walmart" back in 2006 but never acted on it. The clientele was that bad.

Jewel Osco isn't that bad, at least the ones in BloNo.

W4GPL
03-08-2013, 08:56 AM
I rarely shop at WalMart, mostly because the closest one to me is a bit of a hike.. but when I visit my Mom's place in rural Florida, that's where she shops for her groceries [among other stuff]. I was initially put off by the idea, but her WalMart is decent to more than fair. It's clean, well stocked, and the food prices are down right amazing. Good local management, I guess? Though like all WalMarts, it is full of WalCreatures and their Creaturlings..

N2NH
03-08-2013, 09:58 AM
My old neighborhood (Harlem) once had 4 good supermarkets. Garden, A&P, Finast (Safeway) and a Co-Op. Last time I went they had a C-Town and a Met Foods. Both are the worst. In fact the Met Foods had stock piled up to the ceiling, most of which couldn't be reached and was blocking the light. Bay Ridge had Three, but now they have one, Foodtown. They are very, very expensive and the quality is pretty bad.

Up here, Shop Rite, Hannaford's. Walmart and Stop and Shop. All are pretty good.

KB3LAZ
03-08-2013, 10:08 AM
See if your local supermarket is on the list.

I've gone to Stop and Shop and I don't think it's bad. The meat is pretty good, the beef is easily better than Hannaford's.

The 12 Worse Supermarkets in America. (http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Media/Slideshow/2012/04/13/12-Worst-Supermarkets-in-America.aspx?index=1)

I have only ever heard of one of the 12, Walmart.

W4GPL
03-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Publix still takes the cake as being one of the best, as far as I'm concerned. Safeway is pretty good... but I still miss my Publix. Living all over Orlando and west FL, you could always count on Publix being good no matter which branch you went into. Clean, great produce/bakery/deli.. reasonably-ish prices (though certainly not discount level)..

al2n
03-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Actually, Wal-Mart is not the cheapest place out there. They just do a good job at making folks think it is.

I have gone as far as to write down prices and compare them among local stores. Wal-Mart is usually 3 or 4 steps above where the cheap groceries are found. They will have one or two items that are hands down lower than anyone else, but the rest of the stuff is jacked up to compensate and then some.

Yet still, the professional welfare earners will be there, food card in hand to load up on crap I cannot afford due to the simple fact that I work for a living.

WX7P
03-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Actually, Wal-Mart is not the cheapest place out there. They just do a good job at making folks think it is.

I have gone as far as to write down prices and compare them among local stores. Wal-Mart is usually 3 or 4 steps above where the cheap groceries are found. They will have one or two items that are hands down lower than anyone else, but the rest of the stuff is jacked up to compensate and then some.

Word.

Yet still, the professional welfare earners will be there, food card in hand to load up on crap I cannot afford due to the simple fact that I work for a living.

Uh no. You went of the rails with that one.

KB3LAZ
03-08-2013, 07:18 PM

Walmart is one of three choices in my home town. We have Walmart, Giant Eagle, and Aldi. Aldi is good for canned goods and frozen food but not much else. Giant Eagle is by far my favorite but the cost is significantly higher than the others. Wlamart falls somewhere in the middle. We used to have other stores when I was a kid but I havent seen them in years. They were um..let me think..IGA and Golden Dawn. Or something like that.

KG4CGC
03-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Walmart is #1 for those professional welfare earners.

al2n
03-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Uh no. You went of the rails with that one.

Just checking to see if I still have the ability to make you roll your eyes and curse my name. :mrgreen:

al2n
03-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Walmart is #1 for those professional welfare earners.

And the ass crack union local #143.

al2n
03-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Walmart is one of three choices in my home town. We have Walmart, Giant Eagle, and Aldi. Aldi is good for canned goods and frozen food but not much else. Giant Eagle is by far my favorite but the cost is significantly higher than the others. Wlamart falls somewhere in the middle. We used to have other stores when I was a kid but I havent seen them in years. They were um..let me think..IGA and Golden Dawn. Or something like that.

Anchorage was not much better. Had Wal-Mart, Safeway, Fred Meyer (Kroger), and a Red Apple Market (IGA). Safeway had the best produce, but the prices were horrible, Wal-Mart was overpriced on everything except for soda and tuna helper, and Fred Meyer was a nice balance in the middle. The Red Apple was in the rough part of town and only those who lived there bothered to shop at the place and that was only during daylight. After dark it was a pretty creepy place to be.

kb2vxa
03-09-2013, 08:03 PM
In December that comes out to 18.72 creepy hours every day or a total of 580.32 for the month. That's 24 out of 31 days of creepy!

W7XF
03-09-2013, 09:46 PM
<snip>Jewel Osco isn't that bad, at least the ones in BloNo.<snip>

Madame Janet....I get through Bloomers/AbNormal all the time....what frequency do you hide on?????

KG4CGC
03-09-2013, 10:03 PM
OK. First of all, forgive me. I went into our local Walmart up street. It's been there just over a year. I've been in there 4 times. I'm sorry.
Withing 4 months, the shelves got trashy and it did not change. Now the floor is trashy. I thought I saw a small turd near the yogurt section. Could have been a spinach tootsie roll. Looked like it had been there a few days. It's just getting ridiculous.

KC2UGV
03-09-2013, 10:20 PM
I've been doing my produce and some staple shopping at the Bailey Farmer's market. Prices are generally better than the supermarkets, and quality tends to be better. Some staples, like crackers, etc I get from Aldi's or Save-A-Lot.

kb2vxa
03-10-2013, 07:31 PM
"OK. First of all, forgive me. I went into our local Walmart up street. It's been there just over a year. I've been in there 4 times. I'm sorry."

Remorse is the first step on the road to repentance. Say three Our Fathers and six Hail Marys, at sunrise bow to the Holy City Jerusalem, fart twice and you are forgiven. Go thy way and sin no more for should you backslide the Walmartians will take you and you'll be seen no more forever. Domino's Domino's pizza, Pax Romano cheese, aaaaaaman.

al2n
03-10-2013, 08:03 PM
OK. First of all, forgive me. I went into our local Walmart up street. It's been there just over a year. I've been in there 4 times. I'm sorry.
Withing 4 months, the shelves got trashy and it did not change. Now the floor is trashy. I thought I saw a small turd near the yogurt section. Could have been a spinach tootsie roll. Looked like it had been there a few days. It's just getting ridiculous.

I walked into the one a couple miles away from here when we first moved. That was all it took. It is a pretty clean store, but the quality of what they try and call fresh produce made me want to hurl.

I buy all my produce from the farmers market across the street. Most stuff is the same or a little less in cost from the big box stores, but the quality is much higher. The little old lady who owns it is very picky and inspects all the deliveries herself to ensure she is not selling crappy veggies.

KB3LAZ
03-11-2013, 05:58 AM
I've been doing my produce and some staple shopping at the Bailey Farmer's market. Prices are generally better than the supermarkets, and quality tends to be better. Some staples, like crackers, etc I get from Aldi's or Save-A-Lot.

We have a Save-A-Lot near home. I find it to be so-so. I have to be rather careful what I buy at the Aldi's in my hometown. I guess the quality of products at supermarkets changes regionally.

N2CHX
03-11-2013, 06:33 AM

Still an asshat, I see. Some things never change.

N2CHX
03-11-2013, 06:39 AM
I shop at three stores around here: Tops, Aldi and Save-A-Lot. Aldi and Save-A-Lot are definitely discount stores. The Save-A-Lot is strategically located right across the street from a 10 story senior apartment building. All three stores are kept reasonably clean and the meat is very fresh. I almost always buy meat on "Manager's Special" (stuff that's about to cross the sell-by date) because it's still perfectly good and I can usually get it for less than half the normal price.

The problem all three stores have is with vegetables and some fruits. Some of it is good, more often than not it's just sub-par. Tops is definitely better than the other two most of the time, but still leaves some to be desired.

Other than that, it's pretty good. We have a Wal-Mart and a Wegmans close by as well, but I don't shop at either of them because as someone else mentioned, Wal-Mart's prices, especially on food, really aren't that great, and the lighting in both Wal-Mart and Wegmans gives me vertigo.

KC2UGV
03-11-2013, 06:52 AM
The problem all three stores have is with vegetables and some fruits. Some of it is good, more often than not it's just sub-par. Tops is definitely better than the other two most of the time, but still leaves some to be desired.

I've noted this as well with those stores, which is why we started going to the farmer's markets for veggies and eggs. Even the eggs have a marked difference.

n2ize
03-11-2013, 07:03 AM
My old neighborhood (Harlem) once had 4 good supermarkets. Garden, A&P, Finast (Safeway) and a Co-Op. Last time I went they had a C-Town and a Met Foods. Both are the worst. In fact the Met Foods had stock piled up to the ceiling, most of which couldn't be reached and was blocking the light. Bay Ridge had Three, but now they have one, Foodtown. They are very, very expensive and the quality is pretty bad.

Up here, Shop Rite, Hannaford's. Walmart and Stop and Shop. All are pretty good.

When I was living in the South Bronx we had an "Associated" supermarket round the corner. But it burned down.

KØWVM
03-11-2013, 07:10 AM
8. Food Lion
Reader Score: 73
Year Founded: 1957

Food Lion was mediocre across the board. Customers weren’t even just a little bit satisfied with cleanliness, service, food quality, or price. Originally known as Food Town, Food Lion recently announced it would be closing 113 stores, including all Florida locations, and rethinking their marketing strategy.

================================

Fact! Most of the Food Lions I went to in NC and VA reflected this. Cleanliness was a big issue followed by everything else beneath it.

It seems a lot of the Wal Marts you go to there are always issues with cleanliness and odd folks who go to them, except one I went to in Papillion, Nebraska. Seemed like most who went there were normal and weren't strange looking. The one in Bellevue near where I lived and the one over in Council Bluffs are straight up ghetto.

She's so... um... Sexy?
http://www.quiltingboard.com/attachments/main-f1/388398d1358338239-cid_18_64572223%40web65505_mail_ac4_yahoo.jpg

You've heard of the Bluetooth, now the new/old invention for women... "Boobtooth!"
http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/attachments/canadian-contests/62273-club-q-q107-loyalty-club-southern-only-v4-iou_207trevs-walmartians.jpg

Feeling is mutual...
http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/kfmbfm/DSC-images/Mail13.jpg

Cool haircut bro!
http://yougottobekidding.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/image023.jpg

W3WN
03-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Walmart is one of three choices in my home town. We have Walmart, Giant Eagle, and Aldi. Aldi is good for canned goods and frozen food but not much else. Giant Eagle is by far my favorite but the cost is significantly higher than the others. Wlamart falls somewhere in the middle. We used to have other stores when I was a kid but I havent seen them in years. They were um..let me think..IGA and Golden Dawn. Or something like that.Aldi has improved the quality & quantity; we've noticed the difference in the local one over the last few months, ever since Bottom Dollar opened up nearby.

Walmart & Giant Eagle are both a little on the high side. You have to shop smart. It comes down to knowning which items are cheaper at one than the other. But they are not the cheapest, over all.

KB3LAZ
03-11-2013, 07:44 AM
Aldi has improved the quality & quantity; we've noticed the difference in the local one over the last few months, ever since Bottom Dollar opened up nearby.

Walmart & Giant Eagle are both a little on the high side. You have to shop smart. It comes down to knowning which items are cheaper at one than the other. But they are not the cheapest, over all.

It has been almost a year now, maybe ours has improved too. We have Aldi here in Spain and it is of sub-par quality here too. Then again, here, I go to the market for many things. Meat, eggs, fruits, and veggies.